Liverpool players back me, claims Hodgson

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris22

Reaction score
'Liverpool players back me,' says under-fire Roy Hodgson
• 'The support I have had has been from the players'
• Hodgson puts Wolves defeat down to poor performance

After coming under renewed pressure from the Anfield crowd during the defeat by Wolves, Roy Hodgson said he has the support of his Liverpool players. Photograph: Tim Hales/AP
Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Thu 30 Dec 2010 15.37 GMT
Roy Hodgson insists he still has support from the players after the Liverpool fans turned on him during last night's home defeat by Wolves. Liverpool are now only three points above the relegation zone and Hodgson had to endure the Kop singing the name of Kenny Dalglish and ironic chants of "Hodgson for England".
"I have been lucky the support I have had has been from the players and within the club," he said. "I haven't had a lot of support from the fans ever since I came here. The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010 and since I came here we have not won enough games to keep them happy.
"That is understandable in the sense that they were hoping when I came here the latter part of last season would be forgotten and we would start flying again. That hasn't happened and as a result, as manager, you are the one in the firing line, but of course it doesn't make the job easier because it makes the players more nervous.
"I can only say as a manager you have to understand that fans care for their club and want it to do well and when it is not doing well they voice their disapproval. That is the way of football today. When you take on any job, especially a big job like this one, and results don't go the way people want – especially when you lose games at home – you are going to be a target for disapproval.
"I have to accept that and try to keep doing my job and try to improve things for the club and hoping that the results turn around. It is a vicious circle and in order to break it we have to start playing well and winning matches because if we don't they are going to reserve their support until such time as we can do it."
Despite the criticism, Hodgson is adamant he is the man to take the club forward and suggested the players have to shoulder some responsibility for the latest debacle. After nearly three weeks without competitive action because of weather postponements the team showed a lack of cohesion against Wolves, although Hodgson pointed out it was quality that was lacking.
"I think all bad results knock everyone's confidence but I think I can look [myself] in the mirror," said Hodgson. "I am trying the best I can do and the group of players I put out there was probably the best XI, apart from Daniel Agger who has been injured long term.
"When I think about it, had I chosen a different team which did not have a midfield of Dirk Kuyt, Lucas Leiva, Steven Gerrard and Raul Meireles, with Fernando Torres and David Ngog up front, I don't think things would have been different.
"I fear whatever team I chose the performance would have been the same and that showed when I made the three substitutions and it didn't alter the level of performance. I don't think there are many players happy with how they played. I put it down to it being a bad day for us."

I'm not going to pay any attention to this because he claims to say we played last night and against Everton when we were awful. It would appear Roy is growing old with age and slowly losing his mind.

Along with the title of the thread. You wish Roy.

Trust me Woy, its not just the Liverpool players that are backing you.

He's having to give himself votes of confidence now? Oh dear

Well the fans don't and ultimately - that's what matters if the board care about the club and the supporters.

Sigh I feel pretty sorry for Hodgeson.

Some of the players he has to work with are terribad. I know he brought in Konchesky and Poulson, who are to be quite frank, ****, but the squad he was left with had no chance of challenging for the top four, and after mascherano went, I can only think of Gerrard, Torres and Reina who they have in their team that would get anywhere near the other teams in the top six. Couple that with injury problems, star players not playing very well, and a lack of players that fit into the system that he wants to play, he had hardly been given a massive chance of success.

I understand, as a Newcastle fan I would know, the expectation of your team sometimes far outweighs the actual ability of the players at your disposal. While I don't disagree that Hodgeson has had an extremely bad start to the season, I can understand why it has happened, with the lack of funds for signing players in the summer, and the fact that he has had to step into managing a team that was, and still is, in decline. Give him to the end of the season at least, you won't get relegated, and you won't get into the champions league, no change of manager is going to do any different. Give him some money and some time to shape the team into something of his own creation, and then judge him, because at the moment, while he has to field a team with the likes of Lucas and N'gog, I can't see how anyone else would do any better. Granted he plays Raul Merieles (sp) on the wing, and it's not his favoured position, he needs to play him, mainly because your wingers are pretty ****, eg. Maxi, and also because he spent a fair bit of money to get him to join your club, but while he is a good player, he is in a different mould and mindset to Mascherano, and consequently can't fill the viod that has been left by his departure, thus the need to play Lucas. So unless you play three across the middle, or play Gerrard on the wing, he has no where else to play him Merieles other than the wing.

Basically, what I am saying in a very long winded way, is that changing your manager now won't have a great affect on your season, give Roy a bit of time and money to see what he can do.

We don't trust him with moneyz, he bought Konchesky, and Poulsen who are just ****, then Merieles, an actual GOOD player...So he sticks him on the wing were he's inaffective.

I still think this is all part of his plan, coming to Old Trafford in the FA Cup, he will tactically outclass Fergie and Liverpool will batter United, because Manchester United will be complacent and will be thinking Liverpool have hit rock bottom, but it was all a trick!.. and then push on to get into the top 4 without losing any games, also Paul Konchesky will win the Ballon d'or

Sigh I feel pretty sorry for Hodgeson.

Some of the players he has to work with are terribad. I know he brought in Konchesky and Poulson, who are to be quite frank, ****, but the squad he was left with had no chance of challenging for the top four, and after mascherano went, I can only think of Gerrard, Torres and Reina who they have in their team that would get anywhere near the other teams in the top six.

I disagree there mate. Meireles, Cole, Maxi and Agger are all top 6 players.

I disagree there mate. Meireles, Cole, Maxi and Agger are all top 6 players.

Not by a long shot!!! Agger is as soft as a CB gets, J.Cole was bench warming at Chelsky and Maxi had a good season with Atl.Madrid...Meireles is really the only one with proven credentials. None of the others 3 would get into the 25 strong squad of ManU, ManC, Tott, Chelsea or Arsenal...

Benitez destroyed the squad. In Italy, where directors have the final say, look what happenend...

I feel for Liverpool as i feel for my club (Sporting CP). They are trailing the same path:
LCF will need 2/3 years to reshape itself, cutting loose all dead wood - Babel and likes - and bring in some established performers

Not by a long shot!!! Agger is as soft as a CB gets, J.Cole was bench warming at Chelsky and Maxi had a good season with Atl.Madrid...Meireles is really the only one with proven credentials. None of the others 3 would get into the 25 strong squad of ManU, ManC, Tott, Chelsea or Arsenal...

Agger isn't soft and what he lacks in his tackling and marking he definatly makes up with his positioning and composure. He would get into the Arsenal, Spurs and United defence at the moment.

Spurs and Arsenal both were interested (I think) in Cole an hes just unfit at the moment, he is still good enough to play in the top 6.

Maxi is a good winger and hes played well this year, hes also an Argentine International so he is definatly top 6 quality.

Agger isn't soft and what he lacks in his tackling and marking he definatly makes up with his positioning and composure. He would get into the Arsenal, Spurs and United defence at the moment.

Spurs and Arsenal both were interested (I think) in Cole an hes just unfit at the moment, he is still good enough to play in the top 6.

Maxi is a good winger and hes played well this year, hes also an Argentine International so he is definatly top 6 quality.

They could play in such teams. But only as squad players, not as core players. I doubt they would even be regular starting XI. None of those players has ever been a staple player in a team. I really can't see it happening from now on, especially in the current state of affairs.

Are you having a laugh? I'll stick with Vidic and Ferdinand thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.