Liverpool Sign Carroll - Also gets number 9 shirt

35Million is a **** of alot yes..

But united paid 30million for Wayne Rooney when all he was were potential.. he hadn't banged in 11 goals in the prem like carroll has done

i dont think anyone can say anythin yet because the way liverpool play under kenny now will make suarez and carroll hopefully play perfectly together..

after a year or so everyone can judge if it was well spent or poor

end of day we got 2 striker for the price of one

All I can say is Podolski LOL, as someone has pointed out he's scored roughly the same amount of goals in 2years as Carroll has in 1/2 a season. I can't believe that the words World Class followed by Podolski just happenned. Forlan is too old and has no potential, how many years left in the tank? No resale vale. Liverpool is rebuilding and you don't rebuild with players at the twilight of their careers. There is no quick fix he'll be retired or next to useless by the time they're finished ie 3-4 seasons. Muller is struggling to match his form from last season and has just signed an 5 year extension. Also being German he is nowhere near as desirable in terms marketing and sponsorhip as an "English lad" in the domestic market.

Not sure if this has been brought up here (tried to avoid the thread where possible, only looking at current page), but just came across some quotes on the negotiations from Henry, so looked a bit further and found an interview on the matter which alters my take on things. I used to think that the move was primarily engineered by Carroll, but that Ashley was also all too happy to allow things to happen. Now I'm more on the Carroll being pushed out side of things, although his lucrative contract and change to new agent (who also has Nolan on his books) would have definitely made him more willing to be pushed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/04/john-w-henry-interview-liverpool

"The fee for Torres was dependent on what Newcastle asked for Carroll," Henry said, explaining that Liverpool wanted Carroll, plus £15m, to replace Torres. Together with the £6m sale of Ryan Babel to Hoffenheim, that effectively financed Liverpool's £22.8m signing of Luis Suárez, meaning the club bought two strikers but net, spent almost nothing.

"The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle," Henry said. "Those prices could have been £35m [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20m [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35. It was ultimately up to Newcastle how much this was all going to cost. They [Newcastle] made a **** of a deal. We felt the same way."

Not sure if this has been brought up here (tried to avoid the thread where possible, only looking at current page), but just came across some quotes on the negotiations from Henry, so looked a bit further and found an interview on the matter which alters my take on things. I used to think that the move was primarily engineered by Carroll, but that Ashley was also all too happy to allow things to happen. Now I'm more on the Carroll being pushed out side of things, although his lucrative contract and change to new agent (who also has Nolan on his books) would have definitely made him more willing to be pushed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/04/john-w-henry-interview-liverpool

Mr Henry and FSG are certainly no mugs,
they're running a football club as a business, but still paying respect to the traditions of the club.

Good times ahead me thinks!

30m for jake sulley??? Come on.. He's worth 1billion dollar according to rda corporation..

Found this in other forum.

No way I'm writing off Carroll as I'm not knee jerk.

I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22.

Then in my first season in the top flight I had bagged an impressive 15 goals by the end of January. Including a goal against the reigning champions, away at Arsenal and in a home win over Liverpool. My form earned me an England call-up and my debut in an international friendly.

Am a I £35m striker?

No I am Michael Ricketts, February 2002.

By that same token

I was an 18 year old striker and I had scored 15 times in 67 appearances for my then premier league club. I transferred to another club for a record of 26million pounds in 2004

Who am I and am I a 25mil striker?

Wayne Rooney (probably)

the point I'm trying to make is this. All of these transfers are a risk but the rewards are there. If you are going to break the bank on a transfer it always far better to take punt on a kid. You can't say a young player isn't worth what they paid when they haven't even played yet. You can judge this transfer maybe a year or 2 down the track, when he's had a chance to live up to expectation and if Liverpool gets the rest of their act together.

Last edited:
By that same token

I was an 18 year old striker and I had scored 15 times in 67 appearances for my then premier league club. I transferred to another club for a record of 26million pounds.

Who am I and am I a 25mil striker?

Wayne Rooney (probably)

the point I'm trying to make is this. All of these transfers are a risk but the rewards are there. If you are going to break the bank on a transfer it always far better to take punt on a kid. You can't say a young player isn't worth what they paid when they haven't even played yet. You can judge this transfer maybe a year or 2 down the track, if Liverpool gets the rest of their act together.

And the same Rooney was important player for England at 18 years. You missed that ;)

And Chill, i posted that i wont write him off. And btw, you can also compare Rickets and Rooney's career if that pleases you.

An important player for the national setup? I think head played 1/2 a dozen senior internationals - nothing massive and certainly not a "key" player yet. It was Euro 2004 that he blew up

Tony Barrett
I've been assured that Carroll will be out for about another 3 weeks.

Don't know why but I had a sneaky feeling that Liverpool were playing games and that Andy Carroll would start today and shock everyone..

According to Walrus, obviously not :(

Don't know why but I had a sneaky feeling that Liverpool were playing games and that Andy Carroll would start today and shock everyone..

According to Walrus, obviously not :(

I only posted that because according to some newspapers this morning, he would be out for the rest of the season.

He's a brilliant player, young and English, but £35m? Heck, we could of even got Pato, Dzeko, Lukaku, loads of players for that price. If we needed a target man we probably could of got Crouch back for around £15m or got Nikola Zigic or Kenwyne Jones. Still, a good signing but I hope he is worth the price tag. It could be Shevchenko v.2 to be honest, but at least he has had experience in the Premier League!

He's a brilliant player, young and English, but £35m? Heck, we could of even got Pato, Dzeko, Lukaku, loads of players for that price. If we needed a target man we probably could of got Crouch back for around £15m or got Nikola Zigic or Kenwyne Jones. Still, a good signing but I hope he is worth the price tag. It could be Shevchenko v.2 to be honest, but at least he has had experience in the Premier League!

Carroll is more than a target man. Yes he's incredible in the air, but his all around game is also very good and he's faster than people give him credit for. People need to stop getting hung up on the price, that only affected the wallets of Abramovich and Ashley.

Carroll is more than a target man. Yes he's incredible in the air, but his all around game is also very good and he's faster than people give him credit for. People need to stop getting hung up on the price, that only affected the wallets of Abramovich and Ashley.

So True, Hope half the Mancs had that sense when they made Berba scape goat for costing 30 Million,