Liverpool Sign Carroll - Also gets number 9 shirt

And what would your lineup be exactly? If Suarez is cutting in on the left than who is supposed to provide aerial service to Carroll? If you intend to play Carroll in Torres' role in the 4-5-1, you're going to have to change the way you play, and a more aerial game means less reliance on Gerrard, which I don't think is a good idea for you guys. I think Gerrard sending through balls to Suarez (playing in Torres' role) is going to get you more goals than having Maxi Rodriguez try and cross it to Carroll.

I didn't say it was a world-beating squad, but you're not going to get in the top 4 this season anyway. So this season should be for evaluating players, and then in the summer time, you'd have a small fortune to spend on reinforcing the squad. You could spend 20-25 million on a really good, young winger, and spend the same amount on a couple of good young defenders. Then next year you'll be challenging for the top 4.

Suarez on the left, Kuyt on the right (Who incidentally, pings **** of a lot of crosses in), Johnson has also been responsible for two goals in last two games as well through crosses. At the end of the day, Suarez isn't a striker who can lead a line on his own. He is a player who is the perfect foil for a Torres or a Carroll. No we may not get into the top four, but there's no harm in trying, win somehow at the Bridge on Sunday we go 6 points behind Chelsea. And with another 36 points to play for it isn't that far-fetched seeing as they still need to go to Old Trafford.

To be fair, I also think you're being a tad harsh on Carroll. He isn't completely a target man. He is much more of a complete striker who can score with his left foot, right foot and head. Granted he won't run the channels like Torres but he will certainly bring a lot more to our game now and will certainly give us another couple of options. Say we go 1-0 down late on, we now have thhe ability to launch balls up to him in search of an equaliser. Then look at the start of the season with Torres, he couldn't hold up a ball for toffee. And he had heaps of practice with Roy as his manager!

I appreciate where you're coming from and can see your point of view, however I feel the signing of Carroll can only be a good thing and will help us push on a lot further.

Lol even Aguero had 38.5 Mn release clause and same age as Caroll but PROVEN CLASS!!

Aguero wouldn't be able to lead a line on his own. Carroll would be more suited to Kenny's system.

Yeah, there is a possibility you've just shelled out £35 mil for a donkey on a hot streak.

Enjoy your new Heskey, if that's the case!

The words million pounds, and Emile Heskey should never even be mentioned in the same post, shame on you!

What a joke to sign him for so much money.

The most expensive players ever bought top 6. (Added FIFA overalls to compare)

1. Cristiano Ronaldo 89
2. Kaka 86
3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic 85
4. Fernando Torres 86
5. Zinedine Zidane (Dunno, 99 ? )
6. Andy Carroll 74 Wutefuuck ?!?!?!

1. Cristiano Ronaldo 89
2. Kaka 86
3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic 85
4. Fernando Torres 86

He's young, English, impressive and a risk like Rooney...So totally stupid. :S

1. Cristiano Ronaldo 89
2. Kaka 86
3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic 85
4. Fernando Torres 86

Please no. No no no no no no. Not Fifa overalls :(

Just found out i share the same birthday are Carroll :wub:

Epic day for us both to party

But back to NESV. A couple things. First, why do you say their objective is winning? It's an investment group. If it happened to be some billionaire with free time, then yeah, he'd want to win. But it's a big group of people whose sole purpose is to earn a profit. The New York Times, one of the biggest shareholders, does not care if Liverpool wins or not. Liverpool is simply one of NESV's projects, alongside the Red Sox, NESN, and the Bruins.
You must not watch a lot of US sports, the teams they own are storied franchises who are perennial contenders as well as being some of the most profitable teams in their respective sports. They don't own teams like the LA Clippers or the Pittshburgh Pirates who are owned by people who are just content with raking in revenue. If you're not familiar with baseball New York Yankess = Man Utd, Red Sox = Liverpool

And football is a business now - it should be run like a business. To be succesful in business you need a product that is appealling (good football, trophies) and a good business plan. The trophies may not come this season or next but in terms of planning and decision making I can't fault them so far. They don't have to be football people - that's what you hire general managers, managers, coaches and scouts for. They just have to know how to run a franchise. Look at the guys that are on the board of any football team. 1/2 of them wouldn't know what an offside trap is, let alone be "football people"

1. They didn't immediately sack Woy. This shows A) they understand sports - sacking managers 1/2 way through a season is always the last resort B) but they sacked him before it was too late
2. They maximised Torres' value. Honestly 50mil? could they have played it any better considering Torres gave them 3 days to hammer out a deal
3. They handled Torres magnificently, the message was - no you're not going anywhere until someone meets our valuation and we don't give a flying **** if you cry. You can't bully us.
4. They reinvested it in the squad - sure you can argue overpriced but with the way things are it's not too bad IMO and they are highly rated players, Suarez comes with a plethora of European experience and proven at int'l level. Carrol is probably going to be a mainstay of the national team for a decade if he can keep his head on straight. All of a sudden they're not so reliant on one player to score. They have different looks and more variety now. Sure they could do with a winger or 2 but it's a pretty good start.

Personally I recon Carroll can be a huge success. Suarez was always quoted to work best behind a main striker, now Liverpool have that in Carroll. As far as young english strikers who can lead the line goes, you dont get many with a bigger repertoare of skills than Andy Carroll. Now Liverpool need some natural wingers (like adam johnson, ashley young etc) to get those crosses in. With a first team like that we can attack through the middle with gerrard and meireles threatening with long shooting capability outside the box, and suarez' speed and technique to break through the defensive line. And we can attack along the flanks, wipping in early crosses towards carroll who can win headers and either score or lay it down to suarez who's running into the box. The way Carroll and Suarez fulfill each others roles has the potential to become the most lethal striking force in the world. Only time will tell.

Just about getting over the shock of Carroll's signing & the huge fee involved.

I reckon we won't get the best out of our new 'battering ram' until next season, when we'll need to sign two QUALITY offensive speed merchants for the wings - can't see us playing through the middle to him as he doesn't thrive on through balls; the system will have to be changed & the correct players utilised to take advantage of his physical attributes. Suarez will need to play off Carroll's shoulder, NOT be stuck out wide where his predatory insticts would be wasted.

Suarez will need to play off Carroll's shoulder, NOT be stuck out wide where his predatory insticts would be wasted.

His best games for Ajax came playing on the left wing cutting in :S He needs to play there, otherwise it means completely ******** up our system.

Guess who....

Am I a £35m Striker?

I scored 24 goals helping my side win promotion back to the Premier League aged just 22. In my first season in the top flight I had 15 goals by the end of January. Including a goal against the reigning champions, away at Arsenal and in a home win vs Liverpool. My form earned me an England call-up and debut in a friendly....Am a I £35m striker?

No I am Michael Ricketts, February 2002

Shay once you said he was 22, it was obviously not Carroll ;) He was 21 when he helped the toon get promoted ;) Only just turned 22.

If he does become a hit, he can just justify that 35m price tag, u never know lads...

Shay once you said he was 22, it was obviously not Carroll ;) He was 21 when he helped the toon get promoted ;) Only just turned 22.
Meh, not everyone stalks him enough to know his exact age :p

Still goes to show, Ricketts had a better record than Carroll but now he has been released by Tranmere Rovers and nobody wants him.

Btw. I dont want to happen to Carroll, i like Carroll :) just putting out a different perspective on the transfer

Meh, not everyone stalks him enough to know his exact age :p

Still goes to show, Ricketts had a better record than Carroll but now he has been released by Tranmere Rovers and nobody wants him.

Btw. I dont want to happen to Carroll, i like Carroll :) just putting out a different perspective on the transfer

Different perspective? Almost everyone has said the 'same perspective' oO)

30 millions:Forlan,Podolski,Muller but not Caroll!

Forlan - too old.
Podolski - Plays well internationally, other than that poor.
Muller- Not world class, only 1 or so seasons playing.

30 millions:Forlan,Podolski,Muller but not Caroll!

Podolski? In the past 2 seasons, Podolski's scored 12 goals in 61 appearances, a goals to games ratio around 0.05 better than Emile Heskey's.

Never rated Podolski.