Liverpool: So, Whose Fault Is It?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 186
  • Views Views 13K
Also i think Man Utd can take some well mentioned praise, the appointment of Alex Ferguson i think his main goal was to take Man Utd past Liverpool and make them the biggest and most successfull club in England and i personly think that their is a barrier their now between Liverpool and Man Utd and that barrier is Ferguson.

No. Souness killed the club soon after Ferguson was appointed, Ferguson hardly took United past us. Also can someone tell me in any way how Rafa is to blame? He came improved the club, won us trophies, gave us a great night in Istanbul, came within a few points of winning the league and then got sacked for a poor season :S

No doubt in my mind it is Hicks and Gillette's fault.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

As for who is to blame for this debacle, it has to be Moores. Selling to those two American Idiots has set us back about ten years, at least :'(

Can you tell me how Moores would know the cowboys would get us into such a mess?

Also i think Man Utd can take some well mentioned praise, the appointment of Alex Ferguson i think his main goal was to take Man Utd past Liverpool and make them the biggest and most successfull club in England and i personly think that their is a barrier their now between Liverpool and Man Utd and that barrier is Ferguson.

Try not to go off topic too much.

PS. That's a ridiculous statement to make as well.

i was explaining the Liverpool demise to my brother in law the other day and the bottom line is that Roy is not a Big Team manager as Big Sam will never be nor Owen Coyle or Mick McCarthy​

Utter Bollocks,

Sam,Mick & Owen agreed will never be big team managers, but Roy has managed Inter Milan in the Mid Nineties.(last time i checked they were a BIG team). He won UEFA cup with Inter & finished 3rd in serie A (not to bad considering AC.Milan were dominant in Italy in the Nineties.

anyway Liverpool's mess comes down to the yanks NOT Roy or Rafa..​

No. Souness killed the club soon after Ferguson was appointed, Ferguson hardly took United past us. Also can someone tell me in any way how Rafa is to blame? He came improved the club, won us trophies, gave us a great night in Istanbul, came within a few points of winning the league and then got sacked for a poor season :S

No doubt in my mind it is Hicks and Gillette's fault.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Can you tell me how Moores would know the cowboys would get us into such a mess?

didn't Benitez win less trophies than Houlier???

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Try not to go off topic too much.

PS. That's a ridiculous statement to make as well.

apologies.

Roy cannot be blamed to start, hes been there 6 games, he is having a tough time, but i think he will come through and liverpool will still finish top half. I think the yanks are to blame, before they arrived rafa was doing an excellent job. However i think rafa deserves some blame, though he made some good signings such as reina, masch, torres and agger, he made some terrible ones such as nunez, morientes, itandje and most recently aquilani.

We only playes 6 games at good teams i throught before the game that liverpool would draw we would have won if not for the lineman we would have won. If liverpool are still down they come january then we should get rid of him.

Last edited:
i just think that Moores should have done his homework on Hicks and Gillett more dilligently. i suppose though thats no excuse for the behaviour of the two americans, who have clearly lied to him about how they obtained the money to finance the purchase of the club.

didn't Benitez win less trophies than Houlier???

He did but he never won a Champions League did he? Look at the squad Benitez took over compared to the one Hodgson took over, the current one is better and Benitez' net spend was hardly large.

Roy cannot be blamed to start, hes been there 6 games, he is having a tough time, but i think he will come through and liverpool will still finish top half. I think the yanks are to blame, before they arrived rafa was doing an excellent job. However i think rafa deserves some blame, though he made some good signings such as reina, masch, torres and agger, he made some terrible ones such as nunez, morientes, itandje and most recently aquilani.

All of those bad signings left shortly after signing, he realised his mistakes and rectified them, besides he hardly spent large sums on them except for Aquilani who, no doubt is a very good player he just never settled.

David Moores, sold the club to the wrong people when better options where available. Benitez isn't totally blameless, however the club ownership is very much the main reason for the clubs current situation.

Personally i don't think Liverpool have ever recovered from Graeme Souness and his stint as Liverpool manager. He virtually destroyed the club with a string of poor signings and bad management, he also dismantled the boot room.

I'd blame Parry more than Moores, Parry accepted their bid because he was the only offer who said he could stay when they joined

He did but he never won a Champions League did he? Look at the squad Benitez took over compared to the one Hodgson took over, the current one is better and Benitez' net spend was hardly large.

the whole point it managers are judged on silverwere and Houlier won more than Benitez. I know Rafa won the champions league but that and what an FA Cup. I always thought Rafa changed the side too frequintly, im not going to bring up bad signings because every manager makes bad signings. I think Hodgson is a good manager but its 100% the off field problems that is hindering any progress for Liverpool at the moment and until that is sorted they will continue to dissapoint.

the whole point it managers are judged on silverwere and Houlier won more than Benitez. I know Rafa won the champions league but that and what an FA Cup. I always thought Rafa changed the side too frequintly, im not going to bring up bad signings because every manager makes bad signings. I think Hodgson is a good manager but its 100% the off field problems that is hindering any progress for Liverpool at the moment and until that is sorted they will continue to dissapoint.

Houllier won the League Cup twice, a UEFA Cup, an FA Cup, a Charity Shield, Super Cup. Rafa won the FA Cup, Super Cup, Charity Shield and the Champions League. I know which set of trophies I'd rather have. I just don't see how people can say the current mess is Rafa's fault after he came here and undoubtedly improved the team.

To be honest i would not blame roy hodgson the damage was already done before that. The owners have made liverpool what it is currently but also the awful signings and the negative tactics have contributed. Just for a quick example we sell Xabi alonso who was one of our best players and get in who.? we sold so many good names and not replaced them with equal quality....... also the 2 DM's tactic simply is not workin we cannot and do not look like scoring in most games....... gunna take a **** of alot of time to sort it IMO... owners out and new money needs to be made available... and with this money buy only 1 or 2 players but make sure there TOP TOP quality players ndont buy 6 average players like we usually do

rafa inherited a squad that finished fourth in the league, and had won 6 trophies in 3 years. Roy has inherited a squad that has won no trophies in 4 years, and finsihed 7.

i think rafa got left a stronger squad overall than the one he has left Roy.

roy deserves some blame too. he hasnt help himself in the way hes set the side, neither getting near his fulham play or the liverpool play.

rafa inherited a squad that finished fourth in the league, and had won 6 trophies in 3 years. Roy has inherited a squad that has won no trophies in 4 years, and finsihed 7.

No, untrue. The challenge for fourth place is much much harder know, then back in Houllier's days.

Houllier left Harry Kewell, who was never fully fit after halfway through his debut season (a bit like leaving a written-off Ferrari in pieces in the garage). He left Vladimir Smicer, who was talented but also rarely fit. And Chris Kirkland, who made Kewell and Smicer look indestructible.

He left Djibril Cissé, who, like Emile Heskey, cost in excess of £25m in today’s money (source: TPI), but who lacked guile to go with his pace. He left Jerzy Dudek, whose excellent debut season and sublime performance in Istanbul were great bookends for the three nervy, error-strewn years in between. And as much as I loved Igor Biscan, he was, like Smicer, a hugely inconsistent and relatively expensive player entering the final year of his contract when Benítez took over.

He also left Djimi Traore, a player whose attributes (height, pace) were outweighed by his headless chicken act. Milan Baros was another headless chicken, although at least one with some talent.

He did leave Hyypia and Hamann – two fantastic players – but both were entering the final stages of their careers. Steve Finnan also had a limited time left, but it was only after Benítez arrived that he showed his true worth. And John Arne Riise was a good all-rounder.

But then there’s Salif Diao, El Hadji Diouf, Bruno Cheyrou, Anthony Le Tallec and Carl Medjani. What a waste of time they were.

yes but what were them 6 trophies :S Nothing overly speical
on paper this liverpool team should be miles stronger and ON paper we should be up there still but football is not on paper

People are talking about the trophies Houllier won, they weren't big ones. League Cup's aren't big trophies. To be honest I'd rather have Torres, Reina, Agger, Johnson and Kuyt than Baros, Dudek, Medjani, Finnan and Le Tallec. It's a fact that Rafa left a better squad for Roy than Houllier left for Rafa. The only downside is the board room Roy has inherited but that has nothing to do with Rafa...

Liverpool will come out of this mess stronger, and more together. I've seen it lately with my own club, and I will say one thing, there is no better feeling than winning the title back after what seems like an eternity of pish results :D

Back