Liverpool: So, Whose Fault Is It?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 186
  • Views Views 13K
It's the yank owners. I get so frustrated when I see what they're doing to the club, I feel happy about throwing a brick at them when they came to anfield once.

Gillette & Hicks beware; you are not wanted.

Dear CJACKO etc,

Why did Rafa get sacked?! Was it because of the 7th place finish?

Well let's look at the teams above us.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City all recieve better incomes of wealth then Liverpool. So since football is now all about money, they SHOULD have finished above us. Rafa's season was hampered with injuries all the way through and with the loss of Alonso, to no fault of Rafa since Xabi made it pretty clear he wanted to leave, the team failed to click all season. Yet we still challenged for that top 4 place all season.

Was it because of his transfer history?

Well give this a read, it really clears the myths up about Benitez's supposedly terrible transfer history.

bleacherreport.com/articles/...

Was it the 18 million paid for Aquilani?

Anybody remember a certain Owen Hargreaves? Bought for 17 million and in three years still hasn't achieved a full season worth of games. Yet Ferguson is regarded as one of the greatest managers in the world.

1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield and that's seen as a failure. Can someone tell me what Arsene Wenger has acheived since Rafa Benitez's time at Liverpool?

2 Champions League finals, 1 Carling Cup final, 1 World Club Cup final and a title challenging season. Challenging the title! Something we have NEVER done since the Premier League began.

But no. He was sacked and replaced by a man who has never proved himself at the top level. Sent Aquilani on loan and replaced him with the attacking threat of Poulsen. Loaned out our only left back and replaced him with a 30 year old average player.

Rafa gave Liverpool more succsess then we've had in years. The greatest night of our whole history and made Liverpool one of the most feared teams in Liverpool.

Now we're the laughing stock of the Premier League and sitting in the bottom three.

Someone tell me, does 7th place seem such a failure now?

This to me is why it isn't Rafa's fault.

Dear CJACKO etc,

Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City all recieve better incomes of wealth then Liverpool. So since football is now all about money, they SHOULD have finished above us. Rafa's season was hampered with injuries all the way through and with the loss of Alonso, to no fault of Rafa since Xabi made it pretty clear he wanted to leave, the team failed to click all season. Yet we still challenged for that top 4 place all season.

Well give this a read, it really clears the myths up about Benitez's supposedly terrible transfer history.

Anybody remember a certain Owen Hargreaves? Bought for 17 million and in three years still hasn't achieved a full season worth of games. Yet Ferguson is regarded as one of the greatest managers in the world.

1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield and that's seen as a failure. Can someone tell me what Arsene Wenger has acheived since Rafa Benitez's time at Liverpool?

2 Champions League finals, 1 Carling Cup final, 1 World Club Cup final and a title challenging season. Challenging the title! Something we have NEVER done since the Premier League began.

But no. He was sacked and replaced by a man who has never proved himself at the top level. Sent Aquilani on loan and replaced him with the attacking threat of Poulsen. Loaned out our only left back and replaced him with a 30 year old average player.

Rafa gave Liverpool more succsess then we've had in years. The greatest night of our whole history and made Liverpool one of the most feared teams in Liverpool.

Now we're the laughing stock of the Premier League and sitting in the bottom three.

I am un sure why rafa was saked got some ideas on why he was to make a team come 2nd and was very good but to drop down to 7th is a failure when you said what has wenger done in rafa time in my eyes he has made arsenal the best youth development this country have ever seen all so wenger has had a much better cup run in the carling cup fa cup and recent champions league than rafa since his first year at liverpool and in the last 10 years or so arsenal have all ways come in the top4. but why rafa was really sacked no one will know break down with the board and players my be.

i think its a bit of both board and rafa you could argue that roy aint a big team manager but the team need to sort it out torres looks like he cant be arsed joe cole was **** poor against everton. Its about time they forget about the off pitch side of the club and start playin for the fans you look at that squad on paper and you think they are capable of beating most teams.

with the loss of Alonso, to no fault of Rafa since Xabi made it pretty clear he wanted to leave, the team failed to click all season.

Are you sure? I think Rafa had a lot to do with Xabi's depature -- look to the year before and Rafa's public chasing of Gareth Barry. The whole world knew that Barry was going in to replace Xabi until the deal failed to happen. Xabi's a world class player in his position and to be publicly undermined by his own manager must have cut him deeply.

Someone made a comment wondering why Liverpool didn't reinvest the transfer monies received for the sale of Robbie Keane too -- I think that's because Liverpool didn't make any money on Keane (they sold him for less than they bought him only six months earlier.)

Anyway, Rafa's gone now and so have H&G. The new guys have a good track record and money to back up their ambitions and, once the next few pre-transfer window months are over, I think we'll see Liverpool begin to sort themselves out and move onwards and upwards. It's not like they haven't got decades of history and tradition to entice future players etc... to the club with.

Whats to say Roy is going to buy players good enough to get us back to the level we were at in 2005? Rumoured signings have been Wayne Routledge and Chris Brunt neither would be good enough for Champions League. BTW i know not to believe rumours that have no substance im just trying to make the point there is no guarantee he will buy world class players. :)

Rafas transfers were pretty bad, Robbie Keane massive failure, Aquilani was a massive flop, Dossenna massive flop you could maybe add Lucas to this but hes proven to be good in the Brazillian squad so could just be the way Rafa used him.

Frank Rijkaard is having his future as Galatasary manager decided as we speak, would be a good replacement for Roy.

Last edited:
Dear CJACKO etc,

Hargreaves won Man Utd a Champions League and Premier League and he was labelled as a failed signing by you (I mean being compared to Aquilani). Rafa Benitez won Liverpool a Champions League and he is your legend. Biased much?

Never liked Liverpool and probably never will, but I think its down to selling very good players and replacing them with mediocrities. I feel sorry for any scouser at this moment in time though.

Hargreaves won Man Utd a Champions League and Premier League and he was labelled as a failed signing by you (I mean being compared to Aquilani). Rafa Benitez won Liverpool a Champions League and he is your legend. Biased much?

United did the double in 07-08.

Hargreaves in 07-08:

He made his first Premier League appearance in Manchester United's third game of the season, in the derby match away to Manchester City in a 1–0 defeat. Hargreaves scored his first league goal for Manchester United against Fulham on 1 March, a free kick from just outside the penalty box.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargreaves#cite_note-4 He scored his second league goal for the club on 13 April, a free kick winner against Arsenal.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargreaves#cite_note-5 In his first season with Manchester United they won the Premier League and Champions League titles

Does that to you, look like a player who made a massive impact playing in a majority of games?

Djimi Traore also won a champions league medal, doesn't mean he wasn't a flop does it.

Hargreaves in 07-08:

He made his first Premier League appearance in Manchester United's third game of the season, in the derby match away to Manchester City in a 1–0 defeat. Hargreaves scored his first league goal for Manchester United against Fulham on 1 March, a free kick from just outside the penalty box.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargreaves#cite_note-4 He scored his second league goal for the club on 13 April, a free kick winner against Arsenal.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargreaves#cite_note-5 In his first season with Manchester United they won the Premier League and Champions League titles

Does that to you, look like a player who made a massive impact playing in a majority of games?

Djimi Traore also won a champions league medal, doesn't mean he wasn't a flop does it.
to be fair he played 35 games that season IIRC and was immense, particularly in europe.

to be fair he played 35 games that season IIRC and was immense, particularly in europe.

Seeing as you know your stuff, I'll let you off ;) My point still stands though that he is a flop yet SAF is nowhere near as criticised as RB.

Seeing as you know your stuff, I'll let you off ;) My point still stands though that he is a flop yet SAF is nowhere near as criticised as RB.
this i do agree on. same over players like kuyt. he is criticised yet Park (who does a simila kind of job, but gets less goals) is lauded

The board can only be the ones to blame. They make the decisions and although there has been change in ownership some questionable decisions have been made by all the previous owners by who they appointed to manage the club.

Blaming the manager on signings will always be used but many managers make as many excellent signings as they do bad ones.

Hargreaves in 07-08:

I watched all the games that season so yes, he made a massive impact IMO. He don't really have to be scoring goals to have an impact anyway, especially when he's a defensive midfielder.

I understand what you're trying to say but try to use better examples. Hargreaves does not deserved to be called a flop. It's like calling Eduardo a flop, when we all know that he's just unlucky with injuries. Someone like Djaemba-Djaemba or Juan Sebastian Veron fits the bill better.

I watched all the games that season so yes, he made a massive impact IMO. He don't really have to be scoring goals to have an impact anyway, especially when he's a defensive midfielder.

I understand what you're trying to say but try to use better examples. Hargreaves does not deserved to be called a flop. It's like calling Eduardo a flop, when we all know that he's just unlucky with injuries. Someone like Djaemba-Djaemba or Juan Sebastian Veron fits the bill better.

So why is Aquilani labelled a flop then?

Because unlike Eduardo and Hargreaves, he haven't had the chance to made an impact. Hargreaves was a vital part of Man Utd before his injury (luckily Fletcher took his chances well). Eduardo looks set to be a deadly finisher before his injury. Aquilani was injured even before he was signed by Liverpool, finally recovers from his injury but still gets no playing time, and when he finally get some playing time the season's already over for Liverpool (although he did played well). This season, just when he seems to be ready for a good season, he was loaned back to Juventus.

The Aquilani situation is a frustrating one for him and fans, he came injured and couldnt play or train for first couple of months. when he was fit it was rare he would start and when bought on it would be for 20-25 minutes at best.

Aquilani next started for Liverpool in their 2–0 win over Bolton Wanderers, where he got his second assist for Liverpool, again setting up Dirk Kuyt. He scored his first goal for Liverpool on 15 March 2010 against Portsmouth and he also assisted Fernando Torres for the fourth Liverpool goal. He was voted man of the match by the fans on Liverpool's official website. Aquilani also gained the man of the match award in his next Liverpool league start, against Fulham F.C. in a goalless draw at Anfield. In his next start for Liverpool he finished the match with three assists during a 4–0 away win against Burnley F.C. On 29 April 2010 he scored a goal against Atletico Madrid in the Europa League, cancelling out Atletico's first leg goal from Diego Forlan by scoring moments before half-time. Despite a great performance from Aquilani on the night, Liverpool eventually went out of the semi-finals on the away goal rule after Benayoun had put Liverpool 2–0 up, as Diego Forlan scored his second of the tie in exta-time to take the aggregate score to 2–2.[20] Aquilani won the LFC Man Of The Match award again after his performance.[21] Aquilani also played in Liverpool's last 2 games of the season, a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Chelsea at Anfield[22] and a goalless draw away to Hull City at the KC Stadium.[23] In total, Aquilani played 26 times in his debut season for the reds, scoring twice but rarely playing the full 90 minutes

When started he did well and it would have been good to see him stay this season but sounded like Roy had no plans for him. He had a very impressive game for Juventus yesterday scoring 1 goal and saying afterwards that he would like to make the move permenant.

Rafa - He kinda forced Alonso out because he fancied Barry and then when he couldnt get Barry and Alonso he replaced him with an injured player in Aqua

H & G - Obvious reasons

Roy - He has not been nearly good enough as Manager of LFC, he has signed mediocre players and tactically been poor, also if it was his idea to loan out Aqua now that he is fit then that is another factor because he could play him in the Mersilles(sp) role and used the money he spent on him to buy a different player.

There players - How many of the players actually look like there giving 100%? Very few.

Those guys who wanted to Benitez resign, now they begging to come back

Back