Liverpool: So, Whose Fault Is It?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 186
  • Views Views 13K
this i do agree on. same over players like kuyt. he is criticised yet Park (who does a simila kind of job, but gets less goals) is lauded

Difference between Kuyt and Park are the prices.

Kuyt was brought in as an out and out goalscorer for £10m. He now plays on the right wing as a work horse and gets around 10 goals a season.

Park was brought for £4m as a hard working winger who can do a job offensively and defensively. He usually scores about 5 goals a season.

To me, Park has more than lived up to his price tag and reputation.. Kuyt however hasn't. But that is just my opinion.

Kuyt was brought in as an out and out goalscorer for £10m. He now plays on the right wing as a work horse and gets around 10 goals a season.

Park was brought for £4m as a hard working winger who can do a job offensively and defensively. He usually scores about 5 goals a season.

To me, Park has more than lived up to his price tag and reputation.. Kuyt however hasn't. But that is just my opinion.

I think what madsheep meant was that Park is seen as a hard working engine which is just what United need, however Kuyt who is very similar to Park, is just seen as a workhorse despite being very similar players.

I reckon it was down to the money drying up. You buy success these days. You can't just make a £20 mil + signing perhaps once every couple of years, which is what LFC have had to do for as long as I can remember now. You have to be able to compete for the big stars whenever they become available.

Rafa Benitez made some great signings initially; Reina & Xabi were top of the line. He made 2 big money buys, Mascharano & Torres, who were very successfull, but then the cash flow slowed & he got transfer money in about £15 mil packets - not enough to buy the top players but enough to get maybe 3 average squad players. Thus we ended up relying on Stevie G, Xabi, Torres & Mascharano too much; when they were in the same lineup we were a challenge for anyone. Whe 1 ot 2 were missing, we struggled.

Then Xabi was sold - we're down to 3 top outfield players; things started to go pear shaped. Rafa makes a panic buy for a crocked Aquilani as a supposed replacement; one of his poorer transfers, of which, alas, there were many. Nando has an injury-ravaged season. We're now reliant on just Gerrard & Mascherano, supported by a team of average players ( except for Reina ). The result: Liverpool's worst season in many fans living memory, Rafa leaves by mutual consent.

This summer it's Mascharano who goes & is not adaquately replaced, again through lack of cash. We are now a team with just 2 class outfield players in it with Roy Hodgson in charge, who is struggling to come up with anything like the results quotient required of an LFC manager. There is simply too much pressure on Stevie & Nando now; if one of them is injured or is out of form.....

Roy Hodgson IS responsible for the way LFC play, & IMO should br villified for it, but you can only work with the tools you have, & right now this team badly needs a total refit. We need at least 5 top class players to get anything at all out of this season plus a top manager to get the best out of them.

It's all down to MONEY,or should I say, lack of same, & that is the root of Liverpool's downfall. So the answer to the question is: Hicks & Gillett.

Last edited:
Dear CJACKO etc,

Why did Rafa get sacked?! Was it because of the 7th place finish?

Well let's look at the teams above us.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City all recieve better incomes of wealth then Liverpool. So since football is now all about money, they SHOULD have finished above us. Rafa's season was hampered with injuries all the way through and with the loss of Alonso, to no fault of Rafa since Xabi made it pretty clear he wanted to leave, the team failed to click all season. Yet we still challenged for that top 4 place all season.

Was it because of his transfer history?

Well give this a read, it really clears the myths up about Benitez's supposedly terrible transfer history.

bleacherreport.com/articles/...

Was it the 18 million paid for Aquilani?

Anybody remember a certain Owen Hargreaves? Bought for 17 million and in three years still hasn't achieved a full season worth of games. Yet Ferguson is regarded as one of the greatest managers in the world.

1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield and that's seen as a failure. Can someone tell me what Arsene Wenger has acheived since Rafa Benitez's time at Liverpool?

2 Champions League finals, 1 Carling Cup final, 1 World Club Cup final and a title challenging season. Challenging the title! Something we have NEVER done since the Premier League began.

But no. He was sacked and replaced by a man who has never proved himself at the top level. Sent Aquilani on loan and replaced him with the attacking threat of Poulsen. Loaned out our only left back and replaced him with a 30 year old average player.

Rafa gave Liverpool more succsess then we've had in years. The greatest night of our whole history and made Liverpool one of the most feared teams in Liverpool.

Now we're the laughing stock of the Premier League and sitting in the bottom three.

Someone tell me, does 7th place seem such a failure now?

This to me is why it isn't Rafa's fault.

Im flattered this goes out to me haha. I have my opinions and its clear you are going to be looking at it with Rafa tinted glassed. But to be honest i really couldn't care less i was just putting my point accross. If im honest i really couldn't care less what is happening/happened at Liverpool so lets just agree to dis-agree and everyone wins.

I think what madsheep meant was that Park is seen as a hard working engine which is just what United need, however Kuyt who is very similar to Park, is just seen as a workhorse despite being very similar players.

It all boils down to the performance expected from them in the end. Kuyt was scoring for fun in the dutch league for fun before being brought to Liverpool for 10m, so naturally people expect him to score goals for fun, but he didn't turned out to be what people expected. When Park was bought by Man Utd, most people thought it was only for marketing purposes (promoting Man Utd in Asia etc.), but he turns out to be way better than many had expected.

It's just like the case of Ibrahimovic. He scored 22 goals for Barcelona last season and created around 10 (I guess) but was labelled as an almighty flop. Sometimes it's not about whether the players performed or not, it's what people expect from them.

Dear CJACKO etc,

Why did Rafa get sacked?! Was it because of the 7th place finish?

Well let's look at the teams above us.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City all recieve better incomes of wealth then Liverpool. So since football is now all about money, they SHOULD have finished above us. Rafa's season was hampered with injuries all the way through and with the loss of Alonso, to no fault of Rafa since Xabi made it pretty clear he wanted to leave, the team failed to click all season. Yet we still challenged for that top 4 place all season.

Was it because of his transfer history?

Well give this a read, it really clears the myths up about Benitez's supposedly terrible transfer history.

bleacherreport.com/articles/...

Was it the 18 million paid for Aquilani?

Anybody remember a certain Owen Hargreaves? Bought for 17 million and in three years still hasn't achieved a full season worth of games. Yet Ferguson is regarded as one of the greatest managers in the world.

1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield and that's seen as a failure. Can someone tell me what Arsene Wenger has acheived since Rafa Benitez's time at Liverpool?

2 Champions League finals, 1 Carling Cup final, 1 World Club Cup final and a title challenging season. Challenging the title! Something we have NEVER done since the Premier League began.

But no. He was sacked and replaced by a man who has never proved himself at the top level. Sent Aquilani on loan and replaced him with the attacking threat of Poulsen. Loaned out our only left back and replaced him with a 30 year old average player.

Rafa gave Liverpool more succsess then we've had in years. The greatest night of our whole history and made Liverpool one of the most feared teams in Liverpool.

Now we're the laughing stock of the Premier League and sitting in the bottom three.

Someone tell me, does 7th place seem such a failure now?

This to me is why it isn't Rafa's fault.

Very Nice Alex, but a good arguement would of had both sides of the argument.

1) How about rafas awful treatment of Xabi the season before he left, trying to flog him to Juve to fund a move for Gareth Barry( how silly of him)

2) It is not always the signings, but the sales that can affect a manager, You struggled for goals with out Torres, but he has sold Bellamy, Crouch and even Garcia go, all offered you a goal threat. So whilst his sales look good with no wages attached ( try to tell me 47 free signings didnt have signing on fees). his Sales always buffled me.

3) To Compare Hargreaves to Aquallini is stupid. Hargreaves played in a champs league Final. Score numerous Winners for United. His injuries have been bad, but he wasnt brought injured.

4) Okay so 3 trophies in what 6 season. is that really good enough for liverpool? The "greatest" club in the british game.

5) No-one remembers 2nd place my man. 2nd place is just another loser at the end of the day.

6) Roy is proven at the top level, dont criticise a good manager, because of your love affair with Rafa, that is un fair on roy.

7) Now i am 100% Roy didnt have a lot of say over Loaning him out tbh, He had H & G on the case, they clearly told him he had to reduce the wage bill. I think Roy wanted Poulsen and aquallini in the same team.

8) Again, Houllier won 6 trophies at pool. so Surely he was more successfull then Rafa? as 6>3. Simple maths.

9) The Greatest Night in your History? Really come on. Surely liverpool have had greater nights then that.

10) You where never feared under Rafa by the opposition. even When you where top of the league most fans expected you to drop off and not win it.

11) Your Owners have made you the laughing stock. i challenge any manager to lose one of the best midfield enfourcers in the world( Mascherano), Have an under performing gerrard and torres. Work under them Finicial Circumstances, and still be considered a success in the eyes of rafa un dying lovers.

12) Yes it does still seem a failure to me.

This to me is why you need to give roy time. the Club is stable, there will be money, You will climb the table. The Everton Game was going to be hard what ever, why it shouldnt be dismissed, it surely shouldnt linger in the memories of Pool fans too long.

Are you sure? I think Rafa had a lot to do with Xabi's depature -- look to the year before and Rafa's public chasing of Gareth Barry. The whole world knew that Barry was going in to replace Xabi until the deal failed to happen. Xabi's a world class player in his position and to be publicly undermined by his own manager must have cut him deeply.

Someone made a comment wondering why Liverpool didn't reinvest the transfer monies received for the sale of Robbie Keane too -- I think that's because Liverpool didn't make any money on Keane (they sold him for less than they bought him only six months earlier.)

Anyway, Rafa's gone now and so have H&G. The new guys have a good track record and money to back up their ambitions and, once the next few pre-transfer window months are over, I think we'll see Liverpool begin to sort themselves out and move onwards and upwards. It's not like they haven't got decades of history and tradition to entice future players etc... to the club with.

Among Benitez's mistakes were Robbie Keane and the alienation of Xabi Alonso in one crucial summer. Keane was, he says, a "good player and a fantastic professional who needed a target man with him". But, crucially, Gareth Barry was Benitez's priority. "Barry was the first but I was not doing the business and I couldn't control it. The timing was a problem. I thought we had the money and it was obvious we didn't have the money."

Benitez had rumbled Hicks and Gillett before this but as they scrambled and failed to find the money for Barry, his plans unravelled. The collateral damage was significant too: Xabi Alonso was lost.

"In the last season Alonso played his best season for us. That is the reason people are talking about him. It was his last year when he gave us his best."

In Alonso's last season, Benitez drove his team towards the title. Liverpool finished second, a stunning achievement given his resources and the apocalypse that was heading Liverpool's way thanks to Hicks and Gillett and the recession caused by men like them.

Benitez's handling of the attempted sale of Alonso the year before alienated the player and ensured he would go. But Benitez planned to replace him with Alberto Aquilani and the Montenegrin Stevan Jovetic. The sale of Alonso was a controversial and ruthless decision and, as so often at Liverpool, he wasn't allowed full control of the solution.

Instead he was given half of what he asked for. Suddenly the money disappeared, as it tends to when working for the indebted. Benitez's last season began with Liverpool as many people's title favourites. But the manager couldn't conceal the club's problems anymore.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/liverpool-is-my-home-and-i-will-come-back-2362665.html

A very biased opinion as well, or maybe just a lazy one. ;)

Kuyt - 200 Appearances, 51 Goals (47 apps and 13 goals in Europe) over 4 seasons.
Park - 149 Appearances, 16 Goals (28 apps and 2 goals in Europe) over 5 seasons.

To suggest that Kuyt doesn't deserve his £10m price tag is ludicrous. Just because he was bought as a striker it doesn't lessen what he does for us. He's a fantastic player and was integral to the way Liverpool set up under Rafa and liked to pop up with important goals in the Champions League.

Both Kuyt and Park are excellent buys but if i had to pick one i would proberly pick Park because of him versatility.

2) It is not always the signings, but the sales that can affect a manager, You struggled for goals with out Torres, but he has sold Bellamy, Crouch and even Garcia go, all offered you a goal threat. So whilst his sales look good with no wages attached ( try to tell me 47 free signings didnt have signing on fees). his Sales always buffled me.

Wow Scott, I'm pretty sure a lot of Liverpool fans have mentioned this to you on numerous occasions but we don't have the same amount of money as Man Utd or Chelsea.

We needed to sell players to afford better ones (Bellamy -> Torres, Sissoko -> Mascherano, Josemi/Kromkamp -> Arebeloa etc..) and we can't afford to pay players a lot of money just to sit on our bench (Crouch etc).

3) To Compare Hargreaves to Aquallini is stupid. Hargreaves played in a champs league Final. Score numerous Winners for United. His injuries have been bad, but he wasnt brought injured.

To say Hargreaves wasn't bought injured is a bit daft. It's like saying you bought Michael Owen injury free. Everyone knew Hargreaves (and Owen) had serious problems.

When we signed Aquilani independent reports were saying he would be back in action by September, but after a closer look after he signed this turned out to be false as everyone knows. But as Rafa said, Aquilani was bought for 5 years not 5 games (or something along those lines), and it was only the incredibly difficult season for Liverpool which highlighted the deal.

Sadly though Roy's decision to instantly send Aquilani away from Liverpool has automatically made the deal a flop. After how impressive he was last season it doesn't look as though we're going to get to see him fully fit and settled in.

4) Okay so 3 trophies in what 6 season. is that really good enough for liverpool? The "greatest" club in the british game.

Yes it is, it's an over achievement if anything. Stop trolling.

5) No-one remembers 2nd place my man. 2nd place is just another loser at the end of the day.

Stop trolling.

6) Roy is proven at the top level, dont criticise a good manager, because of your love affair with Rafa, that is un fair on roy.

Stop trolling.

8) Again, Houllier won 6 trophies at pool. so Surely he was more successfull then Rafa? as 6>3. Simple maths.

This has been debated with your fellow troll before. Stop trolling.

10) You where never feared under Rafa by the opposition. even When you where top of the league most fans expected you to drop off and not win it.

Stop trolling.

11) Your Owners have made you the laughing stock. i challenge any manager to lose one of the best midfield enfourcers in the world( Mascherano), Have an under performing gerrard and torres. Work under them Finicial Circumstances, and still be considered a success in the eyes of rafa un dying lovers.

Rafa managed it ok... For years. Fair enough he had Mascherano, but last season Gerrard put in some dire performances and Torres was usually absent and even he didn't do as bad as Roy.

Both Kuyt and Park are excellent buys but if i had to pick one i would proberly pick Park because of him versatility.

Kuyt isn't versatile enough for you?

It isnt trolling lee becuase you and Rafas love children dont agree with it lee, it is solid facts. 6>3.

Utd have **** all money as well. they managed. Sissoko was at the club whilst Mascherano was brought.

See how you didnt mention Rafa failing on the alonso Situation. Is he still perfect.

It isnt trolling lee becuase you and Rafas love children dont agree with it lee, it is solid facts. 6>3.

Utd have **** all money as well. they managed. Sissoko was at the club whilst Mascherano was brought.

See how you didnt mention Rafa failing on the alonso Situation. Is he still perfect.

Scott, it's either trolling or pure ignorance.

Sissoko left in the same window Mascherano was signed permanently.

I mentioned the Alonso situation in a previous post. Didn't feel the need to repeat myself.

*edit* - Not even worth commenting on the Man Utd having no money remark.

Theyve just gone over the Torres situation and they are showing him last year compared to this year, last year he was making alot of runs behind the defence and getting balls played so he can run onto them. This year he isnt doing that and a lack of movement on Torres part. BTW there are quite a few on this forum who didnt want Rafa to go so please dont tar us all with same brush :) Love you all xx

Very Nice Alex, but a good arguement would of had both sides of the argument.

1) How about rafas awful treatment of Xabi the season before he left, trying to flog him to Juve to fund a move for Gareth Barry( how silly of him)

7) Now i am 100% Roy didnt have a lot of say over Loaning him out tbh, He had H & G on the case, they clearly told him he had to reduce the wage bill. I think Roy wanted Poulsen and aquallini in the same team.

-9) The Greatest Night in your History? Really come on. Surely liverpool have had greater nights then that.

11) Your Owners have made you the laughing stock. i challenge any manager to lose one of the best midfield enfourcers in the world( Mascherano), Have an under performing gerrard and torres. Work under them Finicial Circumstances, and still be -considered a success in the eyes of rafa un dying lovers.

12) Yes it does still seem a failure to me.

This to me is why you need to give roy time. the Club is stable, there will be money, You will climb the table. The Everton Game was going to be hard what ever, why it shouldnt be dismissed, it surely shouldnt linger in the memories of Pool fans too long.

1. Xabi Alonso prior to his awesome season, had one good season in three and was ridiculously inconsistent. This is why Benitez wanted to bring Barry in. Although I don't agree with it to a great extent, I can see why he did it.

2. Bellamy was sold to make way for Torres. We got rid of Bellamy so we could afford Torres' signature. Torres >> Bellamy. Crouch was sold because he wanted first team football, with Torres playing and him and Gerrard forming such a formidable partnership there was just no way on planet earth that Crouch would be a first team regular.

3. My point being with Hargreaves is that whilst he is permanently injured, no one batters an eyelid at the £17m pricetag Ferguson splashed out for him. Yet a £16m deal to buy Aquilani is seen as a mega flop, despite suffering injuries also. Yet unlike Hargreaves, he is labelled 'Liverpool's biggest ever flop' blah blah blah. Why? Because he was brought by Rafa Benitez.

4. Depends what way you look at it, before Rafa when was the last time we won the champions league? When was the last time we even looked like doing something in the Champions League. Not once have I said we are the greatest club in Britain, one of the biggest yes. But greatest no. Just because it's Liverpool it doesn't mean we have a god forsaken right to live trophies season in season out.

5. Well people remeber second place if its your best ever finish in the Premier League. To imply people just dis-regard second place is a joke.

6. Proven at the top level? He has NEVER succeeded in as high a profile job as this. Inter Milan - Epic fail. Blackburn - Epic fail.

7. I'm not sure what the board said about loans, if they want the wage bill lowered why did the allow the purchase of Meireles, Poulsen, Konchesky and even bigger COLE.

8. The 6 trophies consisted of absolute dross. 5 of his trophies came in 2000-01, the other 5 seasons were hideous. He did nothing.

9. Greatest ever Champions League comeback? A champions league we never expected to win? Give me other nights which have been celebrated more.

10. Beat Madrid 4-0, United 4-1, Villa 5-0, Blackburn 4-0 in about the space of a month I believe. To say that no one feared us after those games just shows a lack of respect/regard for the oppostion.

11. Yes our owners are a joke, how come Rafa managed to get us to 7th in those conditions then, we have lost Mascherano since then and RH replaced him with the unbelievably bad Poulsen.

12. Not when RH is lying in 19th. Absolute ****.

Park can play where, on a wing and thats it? Kuyt can play on a wing, behind a striker or upfront on his own.

Scott, it's either trolling or pure ignorance.

Sissoko left in the same window Mascherano was signed permanently.

I mentioned the Alonso situation in a previous post. Didn't feel the need to repeat myself.

*edit* - Not even worth commenting on the Man Utd having no money remark.

it is all true.

to say 6 isnt bigger 3 is retarded. and to call it trolling, is plain stupid.

My Fans did feel you would drop off, he called you the most feared team in liverpool. So still his point meant nothing.

No-one does remember the runner up in most competitions, so 2nd place is just another loser. well known saying amongst winners.

To say someone who has managed in the EPL International standard, Serie A for the last 20 years and still be in the business isnt a top level coach is retarded, so again i was hardly trolling.

Your happy with 3 trophies in 6 years, well talk about small expectations. You must be easy to be presents for, never expecting a lot.

I have no idea who my fellow troll, i ride alone.

Last edited:
just beacuase me and Scott have a different opinion to everyone else and we share it that means we are ''trolling''??? Look i don't expect you to agree but it isen't trolling its raising an opinion that you don't agree with just deal with it.

6. Proven at the top level? He has NEVER succeeded in as high a profile job as this. Inter Milan - Epic fail. Blackburn - Epic fail.

Sorry, but I have to point this out just in case younger supporters take this as being true --

Roy Hodgson is regarded as the man who restored Inter, a faltering team in a bit of a crisis at the time, and built them up ready to challenge for the championship the year after he left. If he'd Epic Failed, they wouldn't have asked him to fill in as temp manager a few years later to steady the ship during another transitional period.

Sorry, but I have to point this out just in case younger supporters take this as being true --

Roy Hodgson is regarded as the man who restored Inter, a faltering team in a bit of a crisis at the time, and built them up ready to challenge for the championship the year after he left. If he'd Epic Failed, they wouldn't have asked him to fill in as temp manager a few years later to steady the ship during another transitional period.

I have to agree, Inter actually hold Hodgson is pretty high regard and the only fault they have about him is that he sold Roberto Carlos and from that season on to even now they have struggled with the left back situation.

I've never seen Liverpool blame a manager as much as we currently are. Hodgson can't motivate the players, he's buying ****, he's playing out of positions, he's playing disgusting football, and for me he HAS to go.

1. Xabi Alonso prior to his awesome season, had one good season in three and was ridiculously inconsistent. This is why Benitez wanted to bring Barry in. Although I don't agree with it to a great extent, I can see why he did it.

2. Bellamy was sold to make way for Torres. We got rid of Bellamy so we could afford Torres' signature. Torres >> Bellamy. Crouch was sold because he wanted first team football, with Torres playing and him and Gerrard forming such a formidable partnership there was just no way on planet earth that Crouch would be a first team regular.

3. My point being with Hargreaves is that whilst he is permanently injured, no one batters an eyelid at the £17m pricetag Ferguson splashed out for him. Yet a £16m deal to buy Aquilani is seen as a mega flop, despite suffering injuries also. Yet unlike Hargreaves, he is labelled 'Liverpool's biggest ever flop' blah blah blah. Why? Because he was brought by Rafa Benitez.

4. Depends what way you look at it, before Rafa when was the last time we won the champions league? When was the last time we even looked like doing something in the Champions League. Not once have I said we are the greatest club in Britain, one of the biggest yes. But greatest no. Just because it's Liverpool it doesn't mean we have a god forsaken right to live trophies season in season out.

5. Well people remeber second place if its your best ever finish in the Premier League. To imply people just dis-regard second place is a joke.

7. I'm not sure what the board said about loans, if they want the wage bill lowered why did the allow the purchase of Meireles, Poulsen, Konchesky and even bigger COLE.

8. The 6 trophies consisted of absolute dross. 5 of his trophies came in 2000-01, the other 5 seasons were hideous. He did nothing.

9. Greatest ever Champions League comeback? A champions league we never expected to win? Give me other nights which have been celebrated more.

10. Beat Madrid 4-0, United 4-1, Villa 5-0, Blackburn 4-0 in about the space of a month I believe. To say that no one feared us after those games just shows a lack of respect/regard for the oppostion.

11. Yes our owners are a joke, how come Rafa managed to get us to 7th in those conditions then, we have lost Mascherano since then and RH replaced him with the unbelievably bad Poulsen.

12. Not when RH is lying in 19th. Absolute ****.

Park can play where, on a wing and thats it? Kuyt can play on a wing, behind a striker or upfront on his own.

1) and Barry had one alright season and one exceptional season for Villa, so he was hardly the player of consistency

2) Still keane left, He could of sweat talked crouch, he hasnt starts every game for spurs nowadays either.

3) Hargreaves isnt regarded as a flop by me, considering he was successfull during the time he played. but he is still regarded as a flop by most people.

4) Still 3 trophies in 6 years,

5) In 40 years time people arent going to remember who finished 2nd, but they will the winners. regardless of your record or not.

6) He is still in business after 20 years, not that bad

7) They lost Yossi to make way for cole. Meirilas was brought only when Mascherano left. Poulsen was brought with the 5million roy was given to spend. He hardly to blame for the finicial situation and he was forced to get rid of aquallini.

8) A trophy is a trophy

9) Just think, there is so many good nights in liverpool history.

10) You had a good month, please they happen to clubs all the time. Even after all of that you wherent top at the end of that month.

11) he never replaced Mascherano With Poulsen poulsen was signed before he was sold, in accord to play with him

12) You will improve. ffs.

Back