Liverpool Vs Aston Villa

i have to admit im not a fan of Lucas but he hasn't put a foot wrong tonight... broke up the midfield really well,

him and Meireles have dominated the two young kids in the middle totally.

Expected a loss, but this is poor stuff. We've become a better attacking side, but we retain the profligacy that is our hallmark and have added shoddy defending.

Probably our best performance of the season, and we don't have our top 3 players.

The Villa midfield are getting over-run by Lucas and Maxi. But there are a various reasons why Villa are struggling, such as injuries and a real lack of quality. I think the owners need to invest in some players. Its all good playing some of the youngsters, but Villa need some quality creative players. Just my opinion thou.

The Villa midfield are getting over-run by Lucas and Maxi. But there are a various reasons why Villa are struggling, such as injuries and a real lack of quality. I think the owners need to invest in some players. Its all good playing some of the youngsters, but Villa need some quality creative players. Just my opinion thou.

They have apparent quality, Young, Downing, Albrighton, Ireland, although Ireland is massively criticised by the villa faithful doesn't give enough to the team.

I think all Villa fans would agree with you, however there is no money at Villa to invest with at the moment.

Which is why they have blood more youngsters than most teams even before their injury crisis. It may not be a bad thing, its great to see a team do that, doesn't happen all that often.

This was a rumored reason for O'Neill leaving, no money to spend unless he sold.

Clean sheet no. 100 for Reina. Quickest 100 clean sheets record for a LFC keeper. Congrats!

In our youngsters we have a quality creative player, Barry Bannan, as well as Albrighton and now Young is becoming a "central winger". Downing's also been putting in a good shift. Ireland's been ****, but he's a quality player and can and will improve.

They have apparent quality, Young, Downing, Albrighton, Ireland, although Ireland is massively criticised by the villa faithful doesn't give enough to the team. I think all Villa fans would agree with you, however there is no money at Villa to invest with at the moment.

Not sure about that. Lerner's not exactly in debt, he's a very very good chairman. He just wants us to have tighter financial control, but I'm sure if Houllier wants to cut loose with the chequebook in January he'll have around a 15-20 mil kitty to play with. Agreed on Ireland though, lazy sod.

Which is why they have blood more youngsters than most teams even before their injury crisis. It may not be a bad thing, its great to see a team do that, doesn't happen all that often.
Again, not sure. I'd say it was a mixture of Kev McDonald's short reign in which he brought through youth players he knew and trusted such as Albrighton and Bannan, who performed admirably and kept their places, and Houllier's youngster-oriented style. Remember during Houllier (and McAllister's) tenure at 'Pool, they brought through players like Carragher, Gerrard, Heskey and Owen.

This was a rumored reason for O'Neill leaving, no money to spend unless he sold.
Yeah, almost certainly true.

If Young would of played it would of a been a different game. He would of caused our defense all sorts of problems. Delfounso (sp) should of started because of his pace aswell.

Don't think Ireland wants to be there to be honest but like GodCubed said he will get better.

Very happy with our performance though, good solid win.

Im all up for playing youngsters, but we cant just stick them in a big match and expect them to do wonders. Youngsters need quality players around them to improve. Prime example is obviously Jack Wilshire, who is improving match by match, as he is playing with quality players, such as Nasri, Chamakh and Arshavin.

Was it just me, or did Agbonlahor have a lazy game. He didnt do much, but the service to him was awful. If Villa are gonna play that 4-5-1 formation, they do need some quality in their wingers, Downing is a good player, but not very consistent enough.

Villa are in a bit of trouble this year. Just hope the board give Houlier (sp) more time because he has been extremely unlucky with injuries however no excuses in defence they have been leaking in goals alot, he needs to sort it out.

Aye. Once we get our starting line-up back together, with Petrov's reliable distribution from midfield and Reo-Coker's energy and runs complementing him behind a front four of Downing, Young, Albrighton and Agbonlahor, then I will judge Houllier. But not before.

On the plus side, we at least looked capable of passing the ****** ball to someone less than ten feet away today, instead of resorting to hoofs upfield. Dunne's dip in form is hopefully temporary, Ireland needs to pull his finger out, and Pires needs to prove he still has it. Apart from that, we've got some promising youngsters: Albrighton's one of the most exciting young attacking prospects in the league, Bannan is a classy operator, Clark is a versatile and ball-playing defensive all-rounder, and others like Hogg and Herd are solid. Add to that Gary Gardner, a superb prospect, and Fab Delph both returning from long-term injuries soon, and our squad depth is drastically improved as well as the overall quality of the squad.

What Villa need in the transfer window is: A clinical striker (Necessary, unless Gabby finds some shooting boots) a right-back (Young's decent, but ageing and not offering too much in attack) and a defensive midfielder (for backup, and eventually to replace the ageing Petrov).

Im all up for playing youngsters, but we cant just stick them in a big match and expect them to do wonders. Youngsters need quality players around them to improve. Prime example is obviously Jack Wilshire, who is improving match by match, as he is playing with quality players, such as Nasri, Chamakh and Arshavin.

Was it just me, or did Agbonlahor have a lazy game. He didnt do much, but the service to him was awful. If Villa are gonna play that 4-5-1 formation, they do need some quality in their wingers, Downing is a good player, but not very consistent enough.

It's all well and good saying we need quality players for them to improve, but it's not necessarily the case. If it was, then players from lower league clubs would never be any good at all. Wilf Zaha of Crystal Palace for example, great prospect but hasn't really played with any superb strikers. I expect him to develop at the same rate.

Give Gabby a break. He's just come back from injury, and personally I think he worked hard, throwing his lightning feet around and doing as much as he could. Quality wingers, are you serious? The one thing Villa don't need is better wingers. Albrighton is superb, Young is one of the best in the league, and Downing has really improved in both quality and consistency. oO)

Villa are in a bit of trouble this year. Just hope the board give Houlier (sp) more time because he has been extremely unlucky with injuries however no excuses in defence they have been leaking in goals alot, he needs to sort it out.

Spot on. Whilst I'm willing to give Houllier time to sort out this injury mess, this lack of defensive form with all defensive players available is shocking considering previous form.

Last edited:
Pride of the midlands...

16th in the table,
2 points away from the relegation zone,
-10 goal difference,
no league cup run,
Form: DLLLL

**** off back to Witton, the city is ours.

Well played, Liverpool Football Club.

Reina - faultless, good save from Agbonlahor, distribution improved throughout the game, quickest Liverpool keeper to reach 100 consecutive clean sheets, speaks for itself really.
Johnson - Gave him a lot of stick at the start of the season, he is really starting to play well again, was very good in the 2nd half and defended solidly.
Kyrgiakos - Massively underrated defender gave a very good performance and could have had a goal, solid game for the Greek.
Skrtel - Played fairly well, didn't do much wrong although played too many long balls for my liking, probably down to Woy though.
Konchesky - Best I have seen him play and he still was not that good. Looked shaky, especially against Albrighton.
Lucas - Fantastic performance, another underrated player who now looks very well rounded and could become an important player for us.
Meireles - Best game in a Liverpool shirt, ran the midfield, passing, movement, tracking back, tackling, everything was spot on.
Kuyt - Worked very hard, played okay, never did much wrong but some of his passing and his first touch wasn't great.
Maxi - Same as Kuyt, worked very hard and played okay, grabbed himself a goal but he give the ball away cheaply at times.
Babel - One of his best games for Liverpool in the 3/4 seasons he has been here. Worked harder than ever, looked like he enjoyed himself and grabbed himself a goal.
N'gog - I am a big critic of this lad but it looks like he is going to prove me wrong (thankfully). Holds the ball up very well and runs the channels. Grabbed himself a goal, very good performance.

My man of the match - Raul Meireles, closely followed by Lucas and Ryan Babel :)

Not sure about that. Lerner's not exactly in debt, he's a very very good chairman. He just wants us to have tighter financial control, but I'm sure if Houllier wants to cut loose with the chequebook in January he'll have around a 15-20 mil kitty to play with. Agreed on Ireland though, lazy sod.

Ye i don't mean that Villa are in debt, far from it in fact, you have a tight run club, always had salary caps and never took out huge loans, the real way to run a club. But it is imminent that Villa are going to renovate the North Stand, and possibly the Doug Ellis in the near future. My brother is the assistant contract developer of the project, Randy stalled it from this summer, but not sure why, haven't had that info. Which means Villas resources are bound to be minimal, although looking at the table, something needs to be done, an investment of some sort, Villa need a signing or two or it could be an unanticipated poor season!