Magpies urge FA to punish De Jong

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 5K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Newcastle write to the Football Association asking for action to be taken against Nigel De Jong for breaking Hatem Ben Arfa's leg.

More...

Not even a foul let alone yellow or red. Hope FA takes some action, not cos he is De jong ,just for protecting many players career. Now a days we are seeing so many broken legs, if the trend continues, we can hardly see any flair player wanting to come to premier league.

Ridiculous tackle. I can't believe the ref never gave anything either. Should be playing rugby. Deserves a ban at the very least.

Ridiculous tackle. I can't believe the ref never gave anything either. Should be playing rugby. Deserves a ban at the very least.

That's a red card in rugby too....

Almost as bad as this, but with worse consequences. Should be given a temporary suspension from Mancini.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRjB9F883rY"]YouTube - Karl Henry tackle on Jordi Gomez - Wigan vs Wolverhampton 2010[/ame]

I used to respect de Jong ...

It was such a filthy tackle, the way the right leg wraps round is grim.

For De Jongs recrd this wasn't too bad of a challenge really, it's unfortunate Ben Arfa got so badly maimed, the ref didn't even give a foul at the time so it would be undermining him to give De Jong a retrospective ban.

The FA should hit him with a fine and a 6match ban, this is the only way players will be more cautious with slide tackles.

i know, its such a ridiculous attitude, didnt like it when keane did for us, dont like it now. doesnt need to be in the game

It dosen't your right, look at our players Mikel and Essien both can tackle and win the ball back pretty easily but niether go in hard stright from the off. I know they both have history but its all about learing the game.

Yea, winning the ball in a tackle, shame. It was purely a freak accident that Ben Arfa got hurt. The fact that the crowd actually applauded the tackle shows that it cant have been that bad. This whole incident is being blown way out of proportion.

Didnt need to break the guys leg, but did actually win the ball meaning he hasn't broken any law in the game and won't be banned.

He is however a dirty *******, see the World Cup Final for details.

Last edited:
The tackle itself wasn't so bad. Had Ben Arfa not got injured so badly then nothing would be said of it. Because his leg has been broken, it's been blown majorly out of proportion.

I didn't think it was that bad a tackle, just a freak accident in which someone's leg has been broken due to impact. Nobody said Roger Johnson's tackle on Eduardo was 'thuggish' and he has literally ruined Eduardo's career. He'll never be the same again, but he's not branded a thug.

De Jong is a dirty player, but he didn't go into the tackle to break Ben Arfa's leg. He went to win the ball and he did so. Although he did get Ben Arfa too, he won the ball.

It wasn't a bad tackle, right? Then someone give Ben Arfa back and we're good.

I was with most City fans in thinking all this publicity is an absolute load of bullshit, and I couldn't see what was so bad about it. But now, coming on here, I can see that there is dislike to the attitude of "Just letting you know I'm here mate, get the **** out of my way". And I agree with that. It's a bad attitude. It works in scaring players off de Jong and giving us more space in the midfield, and whatever you can say about him please don't deny he is a terrific footballer because he has wonderful technique, but when you see someones ankle crunching because of that attitude it's quite sad really.
The shame is with de Jong I don't think he gives a **** if he hurt the other guy. However, it wasn't a foul. It was really quite unlucky that Ben Arfa got hurt, because de Jongs leg was slanted so that the knee hit the ankle. I genuinely believe that was what gave the impact that broke the ankle.
It was unlucky, but it was such a needless, nasty challenge. However, I think the publicity generated is ridiculous and that the British Press are actually one of the things putting me off Football (the ridiculous money my club is spending being another).
I applaud the decision to drop him as well, but I will be dissapointed if he stops making hard challenges during the period he is under the spotlight. He is a superb, key player for us and bosses the midfield by doing this.
Plus 99% of them are fair, honestly. Get well soon Hatem Ben Arfa.

He got the ball. He got Ben Arfa too, but he got the ball. Can't of been that bad a tackle then surely.

There was no need to go in that hard and he deserves a ban anyway, if not for that then the Horrific attempted foot to chest resuscitation on Alonso in the WC final.

Back