Magpies urge FA to punish De Jong

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 5K
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-JdTR1qqz8"]YouTube - Hatem Ben Arfa Broken Leg[/ame]

Pretty sure he got the ball..

The fact that the ball went behind Be Arfa shows he won the ball fair and square. I really dont see why so many people are crying about it and some people calling him a thug are just pathetic.

whatever you can say about him please don't deny he is a terrific footballer because he has wonderful technique

Despite having no issue with this tackle, I have to disagree, in my opinion hes the epitome of the anti footballer.

Theres a reason why players like Kaka, Ozil, Canales, Villa, Di Maria, Gourcuff etc etc have recently decided not to move to English clubs despite well publicised interested and generous looking contract offers.

Despite having no issue with this tackle, I have to disagree, in my opinion hes the epitome of the anti footballer.

Theres a reason players like Kaka, Ozil, Canales, Villa, Di Maria, Gourcuff etc etc have recently decided not to move to English clubs despite well publicised interested and generous looking contract offers.

Yea, because of course, no one in Spain and France tackle hard at all? Tackling has nothing to do with those players not coming to this country.

De Jong wouldn't get into the starting eleven of a champions league team in Italy or Spain imo, i dont rate him as anything other than a 'smasher' which due to the nature of the English game is quite a valuable talent.

Theres a reason why players like Kaka, Ozil, Canales, Villa, Di Maria, Gourcuff etc etc have recently decided not to move to English clubs despite well publicised interested and generous looking contract offers.

Please do continue and explain. I don't understand how de Jong is the epitome of an Anti-Footballer. And I hope your not going to tell me he's a thug.

He did get the ball.There was a similar situation when Broadfoot got Valencia injured in the CL.De Jong will not be banned.

Off-topic: Awesome sig DMF XD

What does he do other than win the ball, often illegally, occasioanlly thuggishly?

He's been dropped by his own nation for being too aggressive, please see the world cup final if you think hes not a thug.

Last edited:
De Jong wouldn't get into the starting eleven of a champions league team in Italy or Spain imo, i dont rate him as anything other than a 'smasher' which due to the nature of the English game is quite a valuable talent.

Then how would you describe Gattuso? He's been in the Milan team for years and plays pretty much an identical position to de Jong. And Makelele did it for Real Madrid. Mascherano will be doing to for Barca. Need I carry on?

Then how would you describe Gattuso? He's been in the Milan team for years and plays pretty much an identical position to de Jong. And Makelele did it for Real Madrid. Mascherano will be doing to for Barca. Need I carry on?

None of the aforementioned players ever got dropped for outrageous tackles/being overly aggressive, nor did they ever do this.

wpid-Manchester-City-star-Nigel-de-Jong-insists-I-dont-regret-horror-challenge-on-Xabi-Alonso-in-World-Cup-final.jpg

Theres a place for aggression in the game, imo De Jong steps over the line too often.

Last edited:
So that one incident defines his entire career? Really? Good one... XD

Makelele is as clean tackler as they get. He wont jump with studs up, or two footed for every ******* tackle.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to find out the number of bad tackles that Roy Keane did over his career and yet is still considered a legend at Man United. And yet for one incident in a World Cup final and a good tackle that won the ball de Jong is a thug.

Makalele is all about positioning, he gets in the best positions and stops the attack.

Would be interesting to find out the number of bad tackles that Roy Keane did over his career and yet is still considered a legend at Man United. And yet for one incident in a World Cup final and a good tackle that won the ball de Jong is a thug.

De Jong made a number of wild challenges in the final, everyone forgets that he also broke Stuart Holdens leg earlier this year.

Last edited:

I don't think he is a thug i just think he needs to know when to tackle and when not too.

Yeah, but, Roy Keane was also a fantastic player, De Jong isn't anything special. No ones talking about Scholes because he is playing well right now, he's something special. Just because Keane isn't playing doesn't mean you should have a go at them. They all made bad tackles, but you can't compare De Jong to Roy Keane's ability excluding the bad tackles.

What does he do other than win the ball, often illegally, occasioanlly thuggishly?

He's been dropped by his own nation for being too aggressive, please see the world cup final if you think hes not a thug.

I genuinely believe you have seldom watched Nigel de Jong play football.
What does he do? He makes absolutely world class challenges. Of course a player gets judged on the worse of their features. For example, Jordi Gomez (another reciever of a bad challenge) is criticised for being far too slow, despite having excellent technical skills. With de Jong it is two strands of the same cheese string (I was never good with sayings) but he is praised for high quality challenges. And it's hardly 50/50. He makes many many outstanding challenges. He also bosses the midfield not only through force but through a different kind of command and influence. He can pass well, has quick feet and a good turn. He also has excellent tactical discipline.

Brb, just gonna go and have a quickie thinking of Nige

I genuinely believe you have seldom watched Nigel de Jong play football.
What does he do? He makes absolutely world class challenges. Of course a player gets judged on the worse of their features. For example, Jordi Gomez (another reciever of a bad challenge) is criticised for being far too slow, despite having excellent technical skills. With de Jong it is two strands of the same cheese string (I was never good with sayings) but he is praised for high quality challenges. And it's hardly 50/50. He makes many many outstanding challenges. He also bosses the midfield not only through force but through a different kind of command and influence. He can pass well, has quick feet and a good turn. He also has excellent tactical discipline.

Brb, just gonna go and have a quickie thinking of Nige

I trust the Dutch national managers opinion more than my own or yours, if De Jong was so fantastic then surely he would be needed by Holland.....?

I trust the Dutch national managers opinion more than my own or yours, if De Jong was so fantastic then surely he would be needed by Holland.....?

Exactamundo. Case closed.

Back