Magpies urge FA to punish De Jong

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 5K
Pretty sure Geovanni Van Bronckhorst was skipper?

I stand corrected, though the responsibility is shared (as Van Bronckhorst doesn't play most games) between Van Bronckhorst, Van Bommel and de Jong.

As Ed Syers said it was a freak accident. He's not a thug, he's just very aggressive. He got the ball very fairly. If he barely got the ball, then how did it manage to travel 10-15 yards away to another player?

He got the ball fairly, he just got Ben Arfa in the follow through, and because of the position of Ben Arfa's leg it broke. Had his leg been straight then he would've got straight back up and nobody would have said anything about the tackle. It would have gone down as 'a great tackle' or even more likely wouldn't even have been remembered by fans or players for that matter. It was a freak accident.

Is Roger Johnson a thug for the tackle on Eduardo? He ruined Eduardo's career, yet he's playing on as we speak and nobody mentions him. Eduardo will never be the same. Ben Arfa will recover and become the same player he is. Fair enough he may not be the same player straight away, but he will be eventually.

He's not a thug, he's just over zealous. He won the ball fairly, Ben Arfa was just involved in a freak accident.

He went in with the intention of winning the ball and then causing at least some pain to the player. After hitting the ball he brought forward his trailing leg and scissored his leg in two, I don't see how people can possibly try to defend that. He even did a similar challenge (involving the scissor at the end) towards the end of the game. Just because you get the ball first does not make what happens after irrelevant.

The dutch CM is basically people who can break legs. De Jong, van Bommel, and there are others who sometimes get called up who are in to basically stop players performing at any cost. Mancini would have realised that Newcastle's biggest threat was Ben Arfa, and de Jong would have been told to stop him getting into dangerous positions, but de Jong thought it best to try and take ben Arfa out. More than BA have felt de Jong take them out, but he got caught at the WC in the final.

He went in with the intention of winning the ball and then causing at least some pain to the player. After hitting the ball he brought forward his trailing leg and scissored his leg in two, I don't see how people can possibly try to defend that. He even did a similar challenge (involving the scissor at the end) towards the end of the game. Just because you get the ball first does not make what happens after irrelevant.

I honestly don't believe there was any intent in the tackle.

I honestly don't believe there was any intent in the tackle.

It is hard to tell with de Jong, as 95% of the time, he is likely to injure the player.

Agreed. If you put your foot on the ball and punched them in the face, would that be irrelevant due to the fact you got the ball?

Agreed. If you put your foot on the ball and punched them in the face, would that be irrelevant due to the fact you got the ball?

That would clearly be intent though, what people are trying to say is that there was no intent involved.

this. this i everything that's wrong with english football.
over here, people admire a bone crunching tackle more than they do a technically perfect player...

like Jake said, there's a reason why some of the best technical players opted to move abroad despite having well documented offers to play in England, while English clubs are signing players like Poulsen etc etc.

Is Roger Johnson a thug for the tackle on Eduardo? He ruined Eduardo's career, yet he's playing on as we speak and nobody mentions him. Eduardo will never be the same. Ben Arfa will recover and become the same player he is. Fair enough he may not be the same player straight away, but he will be eventually.

It was Martin Taylor, Roger Johnson was not even at the club at the time, also i would like to mention Roger Johnson is one best tacklers i have seen.

Good tackling is an art, and I enjoy watching tough or technically excellent tackles. However de Jong is not a good tackler. He goes in very hard and often wins the ball, but goes through the man far too much for my liking.

However I thought his tackle on Ben Arfa was perfectly legitimate and just bad luck that he happened to break his leg in a freak incident. So I don't think he should be banned for this tackle, but I think in general referees should be more strict when tacklers win the ball and go through the player before or afterwards.

It was Martin Taylor, Roger Johnson was not even at the club at the time, also i would like to mention Roger Johnson is one best tacklers i have seen.

You know what I mean XD

Good tackling is an art, and I enjoy watching tough or technically excellent tackles. However de Jong is not a good tackler. He goes in very hard and often wins the ball, but goes through the man far too much for my liking.

However I thought his tackle on Ben Arfa was perfectly legitimate and just bad luck that he happened to break his leg in a freak incident. So I don't think he should be banned for this tackle, but I think in general referees should be more strict when tacklers win the ball and go through the player before or afterwards.
De Jong is a great tackler. A great marker aswell, just goes in hard.

I think he's a very good marker, but I think his tackling relies too much on aggression going in hard and through the man rather than cleanly winning the ball. I think he's a very useful player to have, and he balances Man City well but I don't think his tackling is technically that good.

Lol, sorry.

On topic- He looks like a Malaysian Monk. No offence but he is a vicious tackler....lol

i am a Newcastle United fan and im not happy in which the whole game was refereed, not only did ben arfa not recieve even a free-kick for the tackle - but no card was show either. As well as this, 2 penalty decisions went against us which completely reduced the chance of getting anything out of the match. Ben arfa being injured now means we have to play the majority of the season without our main play-maker, that got me thinking - maybe man city will send us balotelli on loan for the rest of the season and see how they cope without him, would be funny to see...

from what i can see he got the ball with his left and then hit him with his right but the final was just a ******* disgrace... why would you want to go studs first into someones chest if i was on th spain team idve kicked his head in for doing that to my teammate (studs first ^^)

i am a Newcastle United fan and im not happy in which the whole game was refereed, not only did ben arfa not recieve even a free-kick for the tackle - but no card was show either. As well as this, 2 penalty decisions went against us which completely reduced the chance of getting anything out of the match. Ben arfa being injured now means we have to play the majority of the season without our main play-maker, that got me thinking - maybe man city will send us balotelli on loan for the rest of the season and see how they cope without him, would be funny to see...
Balotelli has played one game, and we only play one up top. wouldnt affect us imo

from what i can see he got the ball with his left and then hit him with his right but the final was just a ******* disgrace... why would you want to go studs first into someones chest if i was on th spain team idve kicked his head in for doing that to my teammate (studs first ^^)

So it's a disgrace to stud someone in the chest, but it's alright to stud his face in retaliation. Ok then...... :S

Back