Magpies urge FA to punish De Jong

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 5K
Isn't a tackle where you win the ball or at least get a touch on the ball, anything else is a foul and sometimes a serious injury, especially when the studs are up and it's a lunge. As a Fulham fan, I've seen a few bad tackle's over the last month of so, the more common one being a dangerous lung which is even worst when coming from behind. Karl Henry lunged in from behind wildly when Zamora got injured although he did win the ball, challenges like that are very dangerous and a lung can easily be mistimed as shown by Henry on Gomez. I saw a very similar challenge by Parker on Dempsey against West Ham and he received a yellow card which was deserved, Scott Parker is one of the most dangerous tacklers in the prem except he seems to be tarnished with Golden boy tag at West Ham so the media don't seem to pick up on it. Also saw a terrible challenge by Wilkinson on Dembele who knew he been beaten but lunged and hoped for the best anyway.

Challenges like these aren't tough tackling, they're bordering of assault. After Dembele starred against Wolves, both Blackburn and Stoke tried to kick him out of the game and Stoke succeeded in injury him. It is shame that Manager's tell these players to go out and give the opposition a good few kicks, it was evident when we saw Barton vs Wolves. As for Makelele, who was a very clean footballer, he was very cynical but there is a large difference between malice and cynicism, a malicious player will go out to intentionally hurt or injure a player (De Jong) where as a cynical player (Makelele) will try foul the opposition player not intending to hurt them in the process.

As for Makelele, who was a very clean footballer, he was very cynical but there is a large difference between malice and cynicism, a malicious player will go out to intentionally hurt or injure a player (De Jong) where as a cynical player (Makelele) will try foul the opposition player not intending to hurt them in the process.

I think that's quite a claim to make as there's nothing to show that De Jong has ever intentionally tried to hurt anyone. To be honest I find cynical fouls worse, as they make no attempt to win the ball and deliberately concede the freekick, whereas most other tackles have the aim of winning the ball.

I think that's quite a claim to make as there's nothing to show that De Jong has ever intentionally tried to hurt anyone. To be honest I find cynical fouls worse, as they make no attempt to win the ball and deliberately concede the freekick, whereas most other tackles have the aim of winning the ball.

Some players go to take the man as well as the ball, I'm pretty sure some Managers tell other players to target opposition players. I think there is always intention from certain players, surely if he keeps injuring people, he'd try and change his approach to the game.

Or at least change his tackling to light or medium <)

Honestly, I dont think De Jong´s tackles are intentional. However, I have seen his tackles, and several times his timing is so bad, that other players take the risk of getting really bad injuries. I still remember the WC Final, and that kick to Xabi Alonso´s chest. That play HAD to be Red Card, and surely a long term ban. Now, it appears that De Jong has a long history of such plays, or the media is on to him, that I am sure, referees will in forthcoming games be much harder on him. It wouldnt surprise me at all that the gets a red card, or two yellow ones in the next PL game. I would actually bet on that.

de Jong went in with both feet, which is at the very least a bookable offence, and is more often than not if seen by the ref a straight red. The fact it was after just 4 minutes of the game makes it all the more unbelievable, as City weren't chasing the game, it wasn't in a particularly dangerous area of the field for City, it was a very, very poor challenge. He took the ball, but he did so dangerously, and it was so dangerous he broke two bones in Ben Arfa's leg. Chris Hughton never accused de Jong of malice, he's pointed out it was a completely unnecessary challenge given the context of the play and the match, and it was executed extremely poorly.

Saying de Jong shouldn't be banned is like saying a bad surgeon should still be allowed to operate, because you can't prove he meant to kill anyone. It's ridiculous. He's broken two Premier League midfielders' legs in the last 6 months, he should have been sent off for dangerous play in the World Cup final - he needs to be shown it is not acceptable to go in like that.

There is something really wrong with referees in these days if they don't punish actions like those.

A ban would just be stupidity, If he does get a ban i will go to the FA myself and **** on the office floor !

The World Cup Final? Moreso the karate kick to the chest.

Back