Magpies urge FA to punish De Jong

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 5K
Now i'm all for a good tackle, personally theres nothing better than a proper physical game where tackles are thrown about the pitch, people go down, get up and carry on with the game. It's one of footballs strange beauties, playing in games and making thumping tackles to are fun.

HOWEVER, tackles like this shouldn't be aloud, he went in, two hard to high and showed almost no remorse, I don't condone it, and neither should the F.A all the stuff about he got the ball doesn't matter, otherwise the high foot rule wouldn't work, because players always put feet high and get the ball, this kind of tackling, should be followed by bans and further action..

Simple. :D

Now i'm all for a good tackle, personally theres nothing better than a proper physical game where tackles are thrown about the pitch, people go down, get up and carry on with the game. It's one of footballs strange beauties, playing in games and making thumping tackles to are fun.

HOWEVER, tackles like this shouldn't be aloud, he went in, two hard to high and showed almost no remorse, I don't condone it, and neither should the F.A all the stuff about he got the ball doesn't matter, otherwise the high foot rule wouldn't work, because players always put feet high and get the ball, this kind of tackling, should be followed by bans and further action..

He didn't go in high at all. He won the ball. Also, I've never heard of "going in too hard". You go in hard to set a trend for the game. Fair enough if you don't need to go in as hard, but if you win the ball (as he did) then what's the issue.

Allowed*

What I don't understand is why you liked Jakes post then undermined it completely.

Last edited:
He didn't go in high at all. He won the ball. Also, I've never heard of "going in too hard". You go in hard to set a trend for the game. Fair enough if you don't need to go in as hard, but if you win the ball (as he did) then what's the issue.

Won the ball barely, hacked the legs, broke it into two. I wont call this as tackling.

Tacking is art, sliding tackle is special talent. Just check out Maldini's videos to know what sliding tackle means. As clean as they get. The way De Jong goes for it, even after winning the balll, chances are more that he will injure player. Just check games vs chelsea at COMS last season. Every tackle was 2 footed, luckily no player was injured.

If Ben Arfa's leg was fine, and he wasn't injured, would you be having this discussion? Is was a great tackle and Ben Arfa was unlucky to get injured like he did. De Jong did absolutely nothing wrong.

The FA should hit him with a fine and a 6match ban, this is the only way players will be more cautious with slide tackles.
You can't kill slide tackling, which is what would happen if this happened. As someone mentioned, do that and you'll kill part of football, it's a freak accident.

If Ben Arfa's leg was fine, and he wasn't injured, would you be having this discussion? Is was a great tackle and Ben Arfa was unlucky to get injured like he did. De Jong did absolutely nothing wrong.

Broken leg or not i said long time he is a thug.

And Ben Arfa's leg was broken by De Jong so only the discussion about him.

You can't kill slide tackling, which is what would happen if this happened. As someone mentioned, do that and you'll kill part of football, it's a freak accident.

It won't kill the slide tackle it will just make sure players use it when they know its appropiate. Like i said earlier because of his lack of pace Terry uses the slide tackle quite alot and i can't remember him injuring anyone badly appart from himself lol.

I trust the Dutch national managers opinion more than my own or yours, if De Jong was so fantastic then surely he would be needed by Holland.....?

TBH I think that's a bit of a silly thing to say.
de Jong was the captain of Holland all the way through the world cup up until the final. That, for one, shows how much they needed him.
And the World Cup is the biggest international football tournament. The match coming up is against Moldova. Which shows more how much he is needed? The fact is he has been dropped purely because Bert (and this is a decision I applaud him for, kind of) didn't like the challenge and is indignant about it. If Arjen Robben or Wesley Sneijder had done the same, they'd have been dropped. He will be back provided he doesn't make another well documented bad challenge in the next two weeks.
I also trust Berts opinion. Which is why I trusted him when he made Nigel de Jong captain of the Dutch football team.

Broken leg or not i said long time he is a thug.

And Ben Arfa's leg was broken by De Jong so only the discussion about him.

I imagined you saying that in a chinese accent.

"I say he thug long tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime"

It won't kill the slide tackle it will just make sure players use it when they know its appropiate. Like i said earlier because of his lack of pace Terry uses the slide tackle quite alot and i can't remember him injuring anyone badly appart from himself lol.
Lol, welll if they have that in their mind, they're less inclined to slide tackle, so they won't. They can't do it perfect every time.

x

Just in case you didnt know.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOxoOSuX_8"]YouTube - Terry's tackle on Milner[/ame]

As Ed Syers said it was a freak accident. He's not a thug, he's just very aggressive. He got the ball very fairly. If he barely got the ball, then how did it manage to travel 10-15 yards away to another player?

He got the ball fairly, he just got Ben Arfa in the follow through, and because of the position of Ben Arfa's leg it broke. Had his leg been straight then he would've got straight back up and nobody would have said anything about the tackle. It would have gone down as 'a great tackle' or even more likely wouldn't even have been remembered by fans or players for that matter. It was a freak accident.

Is Roger Johnson a thug for the tackle on Eduardo? He ruined Eduardo's career, yet he's playing on as we speak and nobody mentions him. Eduardo will never be the same. Ben Arfa will recover and become the same player he is. Fair enough he may not be the same player straight away, but he will be eventually.

He's not a thug, he's just over zealous. He won the ball fairly, Ben Arfa was just involved in a freak accident.

TBH I think that's a bit of a silly thing to say.
de Jong was the captain of Holland all the way through the world cup up until the final. That, for one, shows how much they needed him.
And the World Cup is the biggest international football tournament. The match coming up is against Moldova. Which shows more how much he is needed? The fact is he has been dropped purely because Bert (and this is a decision I applaud him for, kind of) didn't like the challenge and is indignant about it. If Arjen Robben or Wesley Sneijder had done the same, they'd have been dropped. He will be back provided he doesn't make another well documented bad challenge in the next two weeks.
I also trust Berts opinion. Which is why I trusted him when he made Nigel de Jong captain of the Dutch football team.

Pretty sure Geovanni Van Bronckhorst was skipper?

I think he should definitely be banned.. In my opinion 'letting him know your there' or whatever is just another way of saying 'hurt him early on'.. And, tbh i don't think it can be called a sliding challenge.. He did't slide, it wasn't like the only way he could get to the ball 1st was sliding, he just jumped in.. He could probably have stayed on his feet, and only went to ground to get more force in the challenge and probably hurt the player..

I still don't understand how the FA could possibly charge, or even ban, De Jong. If it wasn't a foul, how could he get banned? And there are many dirtier players than De Jong (Gattuso, Keane, Savage, Barton)

I love how Jake prawns all these big posts with 1 sentence :P

No, i'm not saying De Jong's a thug, and i do applaud his technique in tackling, the way he tackles sometimes is great. All i'm saying is that the tackle was a bad one, and action should be taken, if only for the fa to set an example.

i may be being biased but i think he should be banned. I also think the fact that he didnt say sorry to Ben Arfa when being stretchered off or even tried to console him as someone was holding his ankle is pretty shocking.

He went in hard, caught him in the wrong place. A ban would be stupidity.

Back