Ibrahimovic headed for exit door?

Many saw Malmö FF’s appointment of unproven manager Patrick Ibrahimovic as a gamble, and more and more supporters are finding themselves growing frustrated as he has done little to dispel the doubts. Any naysayers will feel vindicated as the defending champions languish in 10th place in the Swedish Premier Division. Not only that, they were also eliminated from the Swedish Cup at the semi final stage by eventual winners Hammarby Fotboll. A recent run of three consecutive defeats, including throwing away a lead at league leaders Elfsborg, along with an apparent inability to win away from Swedbank Stadion, in the league at least, has seen the pressure mount on the young Swede. Ibrahimovic, not believed to be related to club icon Zlatan Ibrahimovic, is likely to be frustrated at the profligacy shown by the strikers at his disposal. Not only that, but his team have displayed an alarming lack of character. They have failed to score a single goal in a competitive match after going behind, a statistic that makes harrowing reading for Malmö and their manager. It is clear something has to change at Malmö FF. Whether that is the system, the attitude of the players, or the manager himself remains to be seen. Ibrahimovic is believed to have the support of chairman Håkan Jeppson and the Malmö FF board, along with the players, however, should this barren run continue, his job may well be on the line.

Oh no! Are there whispers of discontent at Malmo??

By the way guys, thanks to everyone for reading and commenting, I could never have imagined that I'd get over 100 replies and 4000 views in just over a week! Thanks everyone! :)

Swedish Premier Division - Game 8 - Mjällby (Home)

We hosted Mjällby next, and the new system was in play - one striker sacrificed for a defensive midfielder, in a Barcelona style 4-5-1 lineup. However, we didn’t play like Barcelona, and after a drab first half, I made a triple substitution in the 56th minute. Starting striker Mehmeti was pulled for Eriksson, the disappointing Possebon was removed in favour of Simon Thern, and Lepiller was replaced by Guillermo Molins, returning to the first team after sitting out a handful, allowing Forsberg to shift to his preferred left wing. And it was two of the substitutes who combined for our long awaited opener in the 79th minute, Eriksson playing Molins in, who kept his composure to beat the keeper high at his near post! Unbelievably, just 4 minutes later, we doubled our lead! Forsberg collected a clearance from a Mjällby free kick, and raced away to the centre circle with it, before sending the ball wide to Molins. Guillermo made a brilliant run down the flank before cutting inside the left fullback and making his way to the right baseline, where he squared the ball for Simon Thern to tap in his first of the season! And we weren’t done yet! Apparently unsatisfied with a 2-0 lead, Concha proceeded to win us a penalty in the 86th minute. Magnus Eriksson stepped up and buried it! What looked like a bore draw heading into the final ten minutes became a convincing 3-0 win! A much needed morale boosting victory! My three substitutes were the heroes - Molins and Eriksson with a goal and assist apiece, and Thern with a goal to his name as well! The commentators were impressed too - their last words were “their manager worked wonders at the break” :p

POM: Matias Concha (8.1, 0G, 1A) - I felt Molins deserved it, but his rating was only 8.0

Eagles’ injury has proven to be a blessing in disguise! Molins may not even have made the match squad had Chris been available, but my ideal first choice right wing has put in a performance that leaves me in no doubt who the right wing slot belongs to (for now). I was very impressed with Concha’s performance too, bouncing back from his horror display against Elfsborg with an excellent defensive masterclass.

Injury News:

Timothée Atouba - the experienced left back is still yet to make debut due to Ricardinho’s outstanding form and another poorly timed injury sets him back further.

Isaac Kiese Thelin - fringe player and probably my 5th choice striker, though he can deputise on the right wing. Has some potential but with my switch to a one striker system it's difficult to see him getting much game time, a loan may be on the cards come July.

Swedish Premier Division - Match 9 - Kalmar FF (Away)

Kalmar FF were our next opponents, and I restored my three supersubs to the starting lineup in place of the three who were disappointing last time out. We were the away team, and so I was desperate to get the monkey off our backs with a win here.

Disaster struck in the 34th minute when Guillermo Molins was forced off by injury. I replaced him with Lepiller and switched Forsberg to right wing.

In the 40th minute, Johansson had a point blank header following a corner, but smashed the bar.

Four minutes later however, Simon Thern found himself in some space 20 yards out following good work from Eriksson, and doubled his season goal tally with a thumping drive into the bottom left corner!

Second half, and in the 63rd minute, a brilliant killer ball from Eriksson found the run of Forsberg, 6 yards out, yet somehow Forsberg managed to skew his shot so far wide it was almost horizontal. They took a long goal kick and suddenly their striker, Ericsson, had space for a shot - fortunately, it was held by Olsen.

I took Johansson off after an error riddled performance, and his replacement Blomqvist sent a long ball into the left corner in the 70th minute. Lepiller first-timed a cross to the near post, where Eriksson’s shot struck the post from a sharp angle.

Come the 77th minute and a clever play from Forsberg, who drew in defenders, allowed Lepiller to take a shot from an identical position to Thern’s in the first half. It was almost straight at the keeper but full of venom and the goalie only managed to help it into the net!

From the restart Moussi headed the ball to Possebon who sent it forward to Eriksson. Eriksson made his way forward with it before unleashing an absolute howitzer of a shot which struck the frame of the goal where the right post and crossbar connected.

84th minute and we raced upfield on a counter attack. Lepiller and Eriksson exchanged a quick one two which led to a close range shot for Matthias, which he managed to send underneath the keeper for a 3-0 lead!

The final whistle went to end proceedings after a highly dominant display!

Lepiller, Eriksson and Thern each had a match rating of 9, and whilst Lepiller deservedly received the match ball, in my opinion, the best player on the pitch was undoubtedly Eriksson, who performed superbly. It seems I have found a system that can bring the best out of him, something that was looking unlikely when he failed to perform and lost his place in the starting lineup earlier in the season. Finally, we have won an away match in the league, and in style too! What’s more, we’ve moved up to fourth in the table, just 4 points behind leaders Elfsborg, and just 1 behind second placed Helsingborg.

POM: Matthias Lepiller (9.0, 2G, 0A)

Injury News:

Disastrously however, Guillermo Molins injury proved to be very serious. A torn hamstring rules him out for 3 months! This is terrible news as he had just found form at right wing. We now have quite a long injury list at the club :(

The post match interview proves how we dominated that match - the first question involved how we struck the woodwork 5 times!

By the way, do you guys prefer the style of the latest match update? Or the older one?

I like the most recent one. Good to see how other people set up, but thats just me. Your story mate, which do you like?

Probably the latest one, more information when the lineups are shown, I'll stick to that then :) Thank you

Transfer watch:

Ricardinho’s sensational form has led to interest from no less than 8 clubs! They include Premier League sides QPR and Crystal Palace, amongst Brazilian, French, Dutch, Belgian and Danish suitors. I have offered him a new contract as his current one is due to expire in December.

So apparently Roy Hodgson is a former Malmo FF favourite, I can only assume as manager. What have I gotten myself into?! :p