Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K
Champions League Quarter Final Draw...

View attachment 241000

Chelsea are the current leaders in the EPL, and are undoubtedly the favourites for this tie. But there’s still a chance that we can add another huge scalp to our rapidly growing collection, and go through to the semi finals. We certainly can’t be counted out yet!

View attachment 240999

Swedish Cup Group Stage - Game 2 - Halmia (Away)

Some rotation today against Halmia. Still shouldn’t have any difficulty in seeing off the minnows.

In the 9th minute a Romagnoli cross was destined for the head of Forsberg just a couple of yards out, before the latter was hauled down. Forsberg stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

In the 12th minute Forsberg lined up a free kick. It hit the crossbar, but Kardum was the quickest to react and he tapped home.

In the 16th minute Castellano managed to parry a powerful volley from a Halmia corner, but was left sprawled on the turf and was powerless to prevent Diawudeen from burying the rebound - though the defenders probably should have reacted faster.

Kardum restored our two goal cushion with his second in the 19th minute. Forsberg’s free kick was headed down by Delahaye, and Kardum slammed it into the roof of the net.

Delahaye’s 57th minute rocket from outside the box skimmed the top of the bar.

In the 69th minute Kardum, Forsberg and Blomqvist made way for Petkovic, Molins and Biro-Biro. Petkovic went to the left wing, and Neri to the number 10 role.

In the 79th minute Romagnoli’s free kick found Delahaye at the back post, and he headed past the keeper for our fourth goal.

In the 82nd minute we broke through on a counter, with Delahaye releasing Petkovic to run at the keeper, but he lobbed his shot over the bar.

Very comfortable win in the end, as expected. Romagnoli showed once again why he’s so important, picking up the POM award, whilst Kardum, Delahaye and Forsberg all impressed. It’s interesting to note that Romagnoli had Italian as a second nationality, and now turns out for their U21 side. Can’t be too long before he gets a full international debut for either Italy or Argentina, though I wouldn’t complain if he gained Swedish nationality and represented us instead!

POM: Damián Romagnoli (9.0, 0G, 1A)

Swedish Cup Group Stage - Game 3 - Gefle (Home)

A draw against Gefle today would get us through to the quarters ahead of them on goal difference, but I’d still like a win. You may have noticed a couple of players’ squad numbers have changed, as the submission happened between the last game and this one. Notable changes include Santos receiving the number 7 shirt, and Quintero the number 10.

In the 5th minute Díaz picked out Jovic’s run with a lovely pass, but the Serbian striker’s powerful shot was tipped over the bar.

His header from the resulting corner hit the side netting on the wrong side of the post.

Jovic played Petkovic into a great position in the 21st but a brilliant slide tackle from behind stopped him getting a shot away.

In the 28th minute, Linnes’ low cross was deftly half-volleyed by Jovic inside the near post to put us in front.

Petkovic was played in by Díaz in the 33rd minute, but the keeper parried his attempt. The rebound was chipped back in by Santos, and Jovic powered a header into the roof of the net.

In the 38th minute Petkovic put in a great cross for Jovic, but his header was well saved. Santos was quickest to the rebound, and slotted it coolly from a narrow angle.

And three minutes later he had his second, a bullet header from the well directed cross of Petkovic.

But Petkovic was injured on the brink of half time, so I had to replace him with Kardum.

In the 69th minute KBH made his injury return, replacing Quintero. He went to the left wing, Santos to the right, and Kardum in between them. Biro-Biro also replaced Romagnoli.

Jovic sealed his hat trick in the 79th minute when another pin point Linnes cross picked him out in the box, and he smashed a volley into the top corner.

Gefle almost got a consolation in the 88th when Stefan Silva stepped inside Linnes and curled an effort at goal, but Castellano caught his shot mid flight.

It was hard not to be impressed yet again, as the team saw out an emphatic win, and the juggernaut rolled into the quarter finals once more. Standout performers were of course Jovic and Santos, with their goals, along with Linnes, who picked up a pair of assists. Díaz was also a very good creative presence today. In other news, I was impressed to see AIK qualify from their group ahead of Djurgården - hopefully a good sign for the season ahead.

POM: Luka Jovic (9.7, 3G, 1A)

3/3! haha not bad! If only all my conversations with players went as smoothly.

3/3! haha not bad! If only all my conversations with players went as smoothly.

Yeah I think the only times I've ever had a conversation with a player go wrong on this save is if I praise them for playing well and they don't think they have. Slight morale drop, and that's about it. Not sure why but I have a very agreeable squad

Allsvenskan - Game 1 - Hammarby Fotboll (Away)

Mostly rotated lineup for the first league fixture of the campaign. Hammarby are a decent side but we have a much bigger test against IFK Göteborg. in 3 days time, and Häcken 3 days after that, so I’d rather the stronger players play in those games. Santos and Díaz do start though, due to a lack of fit players in their positions - most players are just back from international duty.

In the opening minute Santos slipped Jovic through cleverly but the Serbian blazed over the bar.

In the 20th minute he made no error, seizing on the loose ball and first timing it into the bottom corner, after Santos had been tackled inside the area.

Tinnerholm’s cross in the 27th minute was headed by a defender, but it rebounded off his team mate straight to Molins, who hammered it high into the net.

Díaz’s through ball in the 36th allowed Jovic to split two defenders, but his shot curled wide.

The goalkick was headed by Thern to Neri, who released Santos, and the Brazilian raced forwards with it before squaring for Jovic, who finished with aplomb.

A 41st minute Bengtsson corner found Biro-Biro at the near post for a glancing header, and our 4th goal.

In the 47th minute a brilliant turn on the edge of the area completely fooled the defender, and Jovic had space to shoot. He cracked it into the underside of the crossbar, and the ball bounced clear.

Molins was replaced by Petkovic in the 63rd.

In the 67th minute Neri’s cross was headed back across goal by Jovic for Santos, whose first effort was saved by the keeper, but he was not to be denied at the second attempt, slotting home from an acute angle.

In the 69th minute Díaz’s header from a corner was saved by the keeper, and Petkovic drilled the rebound onto the inside of the post. It then hit an unfortunate defender and rolled back across the line.

Kardum replaced Neri in the 76th.

Romagnoli came on for Bengtsson in the 84th.

An 85th minute Santos free kick was chested down in the box by Biro-Biro, who then blasted high past the keeper for his second!

A very convincing win on the road to start the season, as we were far too good for Hammarby. The league is likely to be another walk in the park this season based on that evidence.

POM: Luka Jovic (9.4, 2G, 0A)

Haha all the players seem to back down to your talks with them! Fair play man.

Allsvenskan - Game 2 - IFK Göteborg (Home)

A stronger team selection today against arguably our biggest title threat, IFK Göteborg. It was always my intention to start Forsberg on the left wing today, even before our conversation,and hopefully he repays that faith with a good performance. Quintero is on international duty so a slightly undercooked Kardum starts at AMC, and KBH isn’t match fit either. Gustafson is in for Díaz.

A brilliant passing exchange between Petkovic and Kardum in the 6th minute ended with the former playing the latter in with a delightful backheel, and Kardum then squared for KBH just a few yards out. The keeper saved his first effort, but he tucked the rebound away for his first of the season, and his 50th for the club!

Kardum played a lovely ball to Forsberg in the 25th minute but his effort was tame and easily held by the keeper.

Romagnoli sent in a cross from right on the sideline in the 27th minute, and picked out Petkovic at the back post, whose header crashed into the netting to double our lead.

Two minutes later the youngster had his second. KBH chipped the ball in for him, and he chased it down before stepping inside his man and slotting home cleverly. It’s great to see these guys playing so well, but somewhat depressing that the second best team in Sweden is really no match for us.

Four minutes later Petkovic completed an incredible 6 minute hat trick with a close range volley from another Romagnoli cross.

KBH weaved through the defence in the 40th minute but fired straight at the grateful keeper.

Forsberg ran the length of the field in the 42nd after gathering a cleared free kick, but trickled his effort wide of the far post.

In the 51st minute Gustafson’s backheel released Kardum, who was halted by a slide tackle, but the ball wasn’t. It rolled to Petkovic who picked it up a few yards out and then appeared to nutmeg the keeper (!), but was unable to get a shot off quick enough, and a defender blocked it away for a corner.

Neri, Jovic and Biro-Biro came on for Kardum, KBH and Romagnoli respectively in the 85th.

Petkovic slipped in Jovic in the 87th, who brilliantly chested down and fired a vicious shot on the turn, but it was tipped over the bar.

Neri hit the wrong side of the netting in stoppage time after Gustafson picked out his cutting run.

Another straightforward win for the boys today. Petkovic stole the show with his lightning fast hat trick, but far out, Romagnoli is a ridiculously good player. I’m quite torn really because I really want to hang around and develop all of these young stars, but at the same time, massive league wins will undoubtedly keep getting more and more boring. Any opinions on whether I should add a second manager so I can stay at Malmö, but give them a challenger?

POM: Drasko Petkovic (9.6, 3G, 0A)

Back