Man Utd v Chelsea

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 238
  • Views Views 10K
Nah, I honestly believe if Macheda's was ruled out it would have been extremely harsh - nobody could have not controlled that with their hand.

Did anyone hear the bloke on 5Live: "Man Utd's goal coming from Federico Match-eeda" XD

so your saying if you can only control the ball with your hand its ok to hand ball ???

so your saying if you can only control the ball with your hand its ok to hand ball ???

if your henry yes ;)

but i agree with you, macheda goal should have been chalked off but we still would have lost so its not really a talking point

I realised as well, I just disagree. Its not as if his arms were by his sides and he had no time to react. He didn't have long to react but he didn't even attempt to move his arms, which were directly in front of him rather than by his sides.

Well he's hardly done an Henry and stuck his arm out to change the direction of the ball. The ball has hit his chest first, then run onto his arm. When you run, you pump your arms, momentum swung his arm forward and it hit the ball as it's come off his chest. I don't know if you actually play football, but if you do next time you're running towards the ball try and stop swinging your arm as quickly as possible and I'll bet you that it doesn't stop where you want it to.

we didn't mate and we didn't get anything.... i thought it was a bit over the top though with some fans staying around after full time to boo and give the players (expesh berbatov) abuse when they left. dont get me wrong, tensions ran high and it was an exciting game to watch, my mate who i go with hit the nail on the head.... we looked completely clueless.
What?oO)

I was at the match and after the match in our stand we just clapped the players, sang the u-n-i-t-e-d song for a little bit then most of the stand left. Didn't notice anyone giving the players abuse or booing near us.:S

You must have been in with a bunch of nobheads.XD

if your henry yes ;)

but i agree with you, macheda goal should have been chalked off but we still would have lost so its not really a talking point

It is a talking point, but only if you're responding to people saying Man United should have had a draw because Drogba's shouldn't have counted.

What?oO)

I was at the match and after the match in our stand we just clapped the players, sang the u-n-i-t-e-d song for a little bit then most of the stand left. Didn't notice anyone giving the players abuse or booing near us.:S

You must have been in with a bunch of nobheads.XD

im talking when the players left the ground mate, i sit in the east stand and often take a walk round the ground before i head back down south (dont no why, just like to take it all in again lol) and people were gathering round slagging berba to the ground when he left the ground :S

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

It is a talking point, but only if you're responding to people saying Man United should have had a draw because Drogba's shouldn't have counted.

we shouldnt of had a draw so.....

Well he's hardly done an Henry and stuck his arm out to change the direction of the ball. The ball has hit his chest first, then run onto his arm. When you run, you pump your arms, momentum swung his arm forward and it hit the ball as it's come off his chest. I don't know if you actually play football, but if you do next time you're running towards the ball try and stop swinging your arm as quickly as possible and I'll bet you that it doesn't stop where you want it to.
haha you mate totally hit it on the head. the more i watch a our midfield, the more i get annoyed that we didnt make sneidjer part of the ronaldo deal.

im talking when the players left the ground mate, i sit in the east stand and often take a walk round the ground before i head back down south (dont no why, just like to take it all in again lol) and people were gathering round slagging berba to the ground when he left the ground :S

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------[/COLOR]

we shouldnt of had a draw so.....
Thats sad to hear.:@ Should be getting behind the players not slagging them off.:(

Yeah, I do, actually. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to at least ATTEMPT to move your arm away from the ball. If that means Macheda's was rightfully counted, then you could easily say "oh, but Drogba ran offside by accident and momentum took him into an offside position so it was a goal".

Sorry, fairly tired so I'm not wording properly.

It's an opinion, that's all. I think it would have been fairly harsh to disallow Macheda's goal because he had hardly any time to react to the bounce off Cech's palmed save.

Anyway, it won't change anything. I can just hope as an Arsenal fan that results in future will go our way (yes, including Arsenal's XD)

Thats sad to hear.:@ Should be getting behind the players not slagging them off.:(

agreed, expesh this time of the season when the players need to no we have faith etc in them!

one thing was clear today... we need a world class midfielder and another 20+ a season striker! so fergie if your reading ;)

RobsonUtting said:
Yeah, I do, actually. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to at least ATTEMPT to move your arm away from the ball. If that means Macheda's was rightfully counted, then you could easily say "oh, but Drogba ran offside by accident and momentum took him into an offside position so it was a goal".

No it's nothing of the sort. Drogba made the run intentionally. Macheda has UNintentionally had the ball hit his arm. Completely different.

BTW: wasn't having a dig about whether you play footy or not, just genuinely didn't know if you did or not.

No it's nothing of the sort. Drogba made the run intentionally. Macheda has UNintentionally had the ball hit his arm. Completely different.

BTW: wasn't having a dig about whether you play footy or not, just genuinely didn't know if you did or not.

I'm sorry but on the replays it clearly looked as though Macheda moved his arm towards the ball when it hit him on the chest and bounced up, and it wasn't due to him running earlier. If you were running at his pace at the time (Not very quick) then you should be able to move the hand out the way.

Last edited:
Alex said:
I'm sorry but on the replays it clearly looked as though Macheda moved his arm towards the ball when it hit him on the chest and bounced up.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. In my opinion it was purely accidental but of course only he knows whether it was intentional or not. But eh what we say makes no odds.

OFF TOPIC:
David Villa, please sign :wub:

True about the Drogba thing, but to be fair, if the Henry/Ireland thing had been accidental, would people not be ****** off about it? Or the Maradona thing? We can't TELL whether Macheda intended for the ball to hit his arm or not - probably not, but seeing as he didn't attempt to move his arm, he might not have...

Oh ok, fair enough then mate, thought you were sorry. |)

EDIT:Just re-watched the Macheda goal, I have to say I agree with Alex & Max.

It doesn't matter if it was intentional or unintentional, it's still a handball.
That's like saying someone slipping on the goal line unintentionally and the ball hitting his hand preventing a goal would be ok.

why are we argueing about the handball? it didn't change the out come of the game

JDY said:
It doesn't matter if it was intentional or unintentional, it's still a handball.
That's like saying someone slipping on the goal line unintentionally and the ball hitting his hand preventing a goal would be ok.

The term for a booking of handball is "deliberate handball". It wouldn't be ok no, but if you slip and the ball hits your arm you've more than likely stuck your arm out to stop it.

Either way it doesn't change what happened.

The term for a booking of handball is "deliberate handball". It wouldn't be ok no, but if you slip and the ball hits your arm you've more than likely stuck your arm out to stop it.

Either way it doesn't change what happened.

like i said, if machedas goal won us the game, i would understand the moaning but it didnt so get on with it, chelsea won, hats off to them (as much as i hate them) end off

Back