Manchester City complete signing of James Milner

It was going to happen sometime.

I have long been an admirer of Milner since his days with us but I never thought he'd become this good.

I wish him the best of luck. He deserves to be a starter, not just sitting on the bench next to six other world class players.

Finally, Hope he gets more playing time as it is imp for national team.

Villa got the better of the deal imo.

Hope Ireland shows his true ability.

Good luck..

i did love milner but i think this will be a negative move for him. it does question man citys thinking because ireland was citys player of the year 2 seasons ago and they just ding him out. i actually hope ireland and villa get the better end of the deal.

i did love milner but i think this will be a negative move for him. it does question man citys thinking because ireland was citys player of the year 2 seasons ago and they just ding him out. i actually hope ireland and villa get the better end of the deal.

Different managers want different types of players though. City are obviously trying to build a team that Mancini wants now, not one that Mark Hughes wanted.

Different managers want different types of players though. City are obviously trying to build a team that Mancini wants now, not one that Mark Hughes wanted.

oh yer i know that and i dont begrudge mancini at all, i just believe villa will get more out of ireland than city will out of milner if you get me.

Be interesting to see if Milner has messed up his career.

oh yer i know that and i dont begrudge mancini at all, i just believe villa will get more out of ireland than city will out of milner if you get me.

Yea, I guess where you would rather have Ireland, Mancini would rather have Milner and hes the football manager so I trust that the deal will be a good one for City. Wish Ireland all the best though as he is a brilliant player.

I believe he will be their best signing this year.

It now opens the door for Aston Villa to spend some money to bring in some players, and be able to offload the dead wood for cheaper prices :D

Last edited:

Exactly. Bellamy, Dunne and Ireland are all prime examples. All players have been sold or loaned out to other clubs regardless of their performances the previous season. I reckon if Mancini signed a couple of £20M+ players a season and kept the continuity at the club, they would find themselves in the Champions League, rather than Spurs.

However, it is obvious there is pressure on Mancini to bring in the best now and the likes of Toure, Lescott and Robinho have just been poor signings with little thought put into them. Dunne would have probably outshone any centre back last season but he was farmed off to Villa where he had an outstanding season. Ireland was Player of the Season two years ago but was cast aside when new arrivals were introduced to the club last year. Bellamy was arguably the best Man City player last season behind Tevez (One of the more successful signings) and he is now on loan at Championship side Cardiff City!

These reasons mean that I don't think City will come close to Champions League football this season and when players start moaning at the lack of playing time, Mancini will be removed immediately and another poor manager will be tempted into the money that the owners offer, whether it ruins English football or not.

Good luck to Milner and co. next season, they have a lot of talent in that squad. But, in my humble opinion, it will all go wrong. Mancini to be sacked after Martinez. You heard it here.

1. Despite playing 17 fewer games, Ireland has scored more goals (11) in the Premier League over the last two seasons than Milner (10).

2. The former Manchester City man has also been more clinical in front of goal, converting 16% of his efforts to Milner’s 12%.

3. In the same period, Ireland has created a 1.8 goalscoring chances per 90 minutes of football compared to 1.7 for Milner.

4. Additionally, the Republic of Ireland international has completed 77% of his passes, a much higher proportion than his England counterpart (70%).

5. Though he has been nowhere near as attacking as Milner in terms of attempting dribbles (0.8 per 90 minutes vs 2.6 for Milner) or crosses (1.3 vs 6.4), Ireland has been more involved in the defensive side of the game, making 3.6 tackles per 90 minutes compared to just 2.8 for the man he replaces.

Source : optajoe!

I believe the fee is around £18 million + Ireland.

----Downing-----Ireland-------Young

-----------Gabby/Carew---------

Excellent..

----Downing-----Ireland-------Young

-----------Gabby/Carew---------

Excellent..

Yes, Villa are starting to look like real contenders this year for a Champions League spot, especially with such a good attacking force, on paper at least.

If Downing can stay injury free and Agbonlahor can keep his form up the whole way through the season, I don't see why 4th place isn't a possibility.

All they need now is a manager. :)

if the rumoured £18 million + Stephen Ireland is true

What a deal for Villa IMO

Looks like Villa got the better of this deal, definately. I'd value Ireland around 10m, then 16m-18m for Milner. That's good business for Villa.

Interesting how most people seem to think this is a better deal for Villa. Maybe because they want City to fail, I dont know. But I think that Milner is a brilliant player and will be a key player for City this season on the right wing instead of SWP.

Villa wont get the champions league, the attack you posted Sunlivk is class, dont get me wrong, but if young or downing gets injured, theyre done.

Interesting how most people seem to think this is a better deal for Villa. Maybe because they want City to fail, I dont know. But I think that Milner is a brilliant player and will be a key player for City this season on the right wing instead of SWP.

Why do all you City fans think that?

Ireland is valued at about £9M-£11M, something like that. Milner is about £18M, so it is quite clear who is getting the better deal. Ireland will mould nicely into Villa's current setup. Milner, however, is another question.