Manchester City- world domination project

Reaction score
Wednesday 26th May 1999
A pub in Manchester

"Beckham.. into Sheringham, AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT!"

Manchester United had won the Champions League for the first time under Alex Ferguson at the Nou Camp. They had overturned Bayern Munich with two goals in injury time to give them a famous treble and Ferguson, a knighthood.

Gabriel Sutton was a 21-year-old central midfielder hoping to break into the Manchester City first team as an academy graduate. He was on a night out with Kevin Horlock and Paul 'The Wasp' Dickov, having just beaten Wigan at Maine Road to get into the Division Two Playoff Final against Tony Pulis's Gillingham.

Horlock sighed when the result was confirmed. "This is ******* me off. What are we doing here? We should be winning titles at the top, playing in Europe, being the best. Not in the third ****** tier. Do you think we'll ever be better than Manchester United?"
"We will." said Gabriel with an air of assurance. "I promise you. Someday."
"We've got a massive game on Sunday first though lads." Interjected Paul Dickov.
Gabriel was determined to win. "We have to beat Gillingham and get back into the second tier of English football. That's where our journey starts."

He struggled to get to sleep that night. The prospect of playing in front of 75,000 odd fans at the Millenium Stadium that Sunday was a daunting one. What if he messed up? What if he made a fool of himself and disappeared. Vanished into the midst of time and space in non-league obscurity. Forgotten. Gone. Forever.

No. This wasn't going to him. This was his shot at the big time, he wasn't going to let negative thoughts and alcohol stop him from helping his beloved Manchester City reaching the Premier League and fulfilling his dream. He would go to the gym tommorrow after training. Gabriel Sutton was a man on a mission. And he would succeed. Someday.

5th June 2011
SKY SPORTS NEWS
Italian national football team manager, Cesare Prandelli, has been pronounced dead at Milan General Hospital following a recent battle with lung cancer. The 54-year-old will be best known to football fans around the world for his success with Italian giants, Juventus as a player in the early 80s, Fiorentina's longest-serving manager and now of course the National Team Manager of Italy. It looked like a reasonably encouraging start to his tenure in charge of Italy, breaking a record with 9 games unbeaten in the Euro 2012 qualifiers, followed by a 2-1 victory against world champions Spain. A great start made by Prandelli, recovering from the nation's dismal display in the last World Cup. He will be a man sadly missed and never forgotten.

images

It has been announced that Gabriele Pin will take temporary charge of the national team for the forthcoming friendly matches in September. The favourites to take the helm of Italian 1st team are:

Carlo Ancelotti- 3/1
Roberto Mancini- 4/1
Gabriele Pin- 6/1
Giovanni Trappatoni- 6/1
Fabio Capello- 8/1
Pep Guardiola- 8/1
Arsene Wenger- 10/1
Jose Mourinho- 15/1

The Italian FA have announced that they will draw up a shortlist within the next few days.

Sunday 30th May 1999
Millennium Stadium, Wales

"Last four minutes of the game, Carl Asaba the goalscorer.. and it's Taylor he's put through this time, Taylor!2-0!"

Having just conceded five minutes ago, Gabriel was warming up to try and make an impact on the game with very little time remaining.

"Right, sonny." Joe Royle stood beside him. "You're coming on for Lee Crooks, I want you to chase every ball and close down as quickly as you can to create chances for Goat and Waspy."

And with that, the fourth official's board went up as Gabriel made his way onto the pitch. A short ball from Jeff Whitley came to him at the edge of the 'D', athrough ball put Shaun Goater in a position to see the lights of the goalkeeper's eyes. A point blank save from Vince Bartram kept him out beforethe ball fell to Kevin Horlock on the left side on the edge of the box- a powerful shot from Horlock rammed the ball home. With 5 minutes injury time, the game was on. In the last minute of stoppage time, Man City we're desperate. With the ball falling to Sutton again on the edge of the box, a threaded through ball to Paul Dickov sent him one-on-one, with his first touch, he smacked the ball inside the near post for a late equaliser as 30 minutes extra time- and the possibility of penalties- loomed...

21st June 2011
SKY SPORTS NEWS

The Italian FA have announced that they have appointed Roberto Mancini as their new manager. In a recent interview, the Italian has stated: 'It didn't feel 100% right to leave Manchester City the way things were going. We had won the FA Cup, signed the likes of Sergio Aguero, Samir Nasri amongst others earlier in the summer- I felt we were ina great position to develop as a club. But, when you're country comes calling,especially in the tragic circumstances as with regards to Mr Prandelli- we were great friends and I was very saddened by the news- I felt I needed to help sort out the situation. Although I'm sure many Italian football fans, myself included,will be devastated by the news a few weeks ago, I am looking forward to the challenge of leading this great nation and hope to continue from where Cesare left off.

It is now Manchester City’s fans turn to wonder who their next manager will be. Carlo Ancelotti, Jose Mourinho and Gabriel Sutton amongst those who have been linked with the now vacant job.

30th May 1999
Millennium Stadium, Wales

"
Guy Butters steps up for Gillingham. Man City win if he misses. He can't miss. He'***** the post! Manchester City are going to Division One in the most dramatic of circumstances!”

A post-match interview:
“Well, Gabriel, how’s that for a bit of drama?”
“Oh, unbelievable. When I came on with a few minutes to go I had a feeling that if we could nick one immediately then we might be back in the contest, but the game was unquestionably in Gillingham’s hands so I was delighted that I could come on, grab an assist and make an impact.”
“You mentioned your assist and a lot of people I’ve spoken to have said that Man. City looked a different team once you came on. What’s your reaction to that?”
“Well, I don’t want to focus too much on what others have said to be honest. As a club we’re just taking our progress one step at a time, and this was a big step- I’m looking forward to next season.”
“Of course you’re promoted to Division One now, courtesy of this result. Realistically, how far can this Manchester City team go?”
“Premier League football. The whole squad wants to be competing with the likes of Manchester United and I think when you’ve got a manager with the quality andambition of someone like Joe Royle, given a bit of time and money, the only way is up.”

Last edited:
Being a Manchester United fan makes it more difficult to praise this...but i will have to say that this is a brilliant beginning.looking forward to more updates

Monday 4th July 2011
City of Manchester Stadium

“Good morning, Mr. Sutton.”
“Ah good morning, Mr. Cook, I’m delighted to meet you.”
“Thank you for attending this interview so promptly. I would to introduce you to our board of directors. This is Kaldoon Al Mubarak- a close business associate to Sheikh Mansour. Brian Marwood, our football executive, and I’m Garry Cook, our Chairman.”
“Fantastic. It’s great to meet you all.”

“Take a seat. Now, we’re currently looking at the likes of Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti to replace Roberto Mancini as Manchester City manager. Given some of the success that these managers have achieved, what do you think gives you an edge?"

Well, one of the few problems caused by the great financial power that we have at the club is that, now and again, there will be a few players who only sign for Man. City for the money. That will have serious implications for the work ethic within the team. As a loyal former Manchester City captain, I had a reputation for wearing my heart on my sleeve in games. I think that I’m in abetter position to tell if a player is at the club purely for the money, rather than a drive to compete at the top level and win trophies. If I feel strongly enough that that’s the case, then it will be a brief relationship.”

“Okay,what do you feel are your long-term plans for the club?”

“Well, one of the things I’d be really excited about if I took this job is the age of the squad. Most of our players are about the age of 24- the peak of their careers. However, in 5 years time, the majority of the squad will be around the 30 mark. If we sign a few of the best 17-odd year-olds in the world, with the most potential, by the time some of the current first team players turn 30, we’ll have the best players in the world playing at the peak of their careers- that’s if all goes to plan. The next 2-3 years for me, would be about tweaking thesquad, gradually fading out the more experienced players and beginning to bring in the new blood."

“More specifically then, which players have you got in your mind to bring in and who in the squad do you feel could be the weak link in the next couple of years?”

I mentioned that I’m looking to bring in a few youngsters that I can gradually integrate into the first team so that they’re blooded relatively early. I think the spine of the team is currently lacking longer-term options. As a backup to Joe Hart in goal, we have an on-loan keeper, Costel Pantilimon. I’ve not heard of him before and I feel that we can aim for better quality. I’ve looked at the likes of Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Alphonse Areola and Thibaout Courtois amongst other’s who I’d be looking to scout. At centre-back, for me Joleon Lescott is overrated and doesn’t have the quality that we can afford, certainly in the long run. Kolo Toure is getting on a bit now as well. Although both are still at least viable options for the first team, its important that we look to improve this position within the next 2-3 years. At 21, Mamadou Sakho would be a great long-term option. I also like thel ook of Sebastien Coates, Giuseppe Prestia and Breno.

For defensive midfield, I’m very happy with Nigel de Jong to break up oppositionattacks, but I’m concerned that Gareth Barry and Owen Hargreaves may only have1-2 years left in their careers. After that, de Jong may begin to age so we do need to think about that position. I see Yann M’Vila, Lorenzo Crisetig and a Brazilian called Casemiro as the best long-term prospects but now wouldn’t be a sensible time to buy as we already have 3 in the squad. For central midfield, I don’t think we have any shortage of quality with Yaya Toure and James Milner in there, but they’re the only 2 natural centre-mids worthy of a first team place we have. I’ve looked at Javi Martinez, Andre Ayew, Ross Barkley and Felipe Anderson for that position.

Now, my most notable find for a striker is French 16-year-old Mbaye Niang, at Stade Malherbe Caen who I’d be looking to get on the cheap before the U20’s World Cup inColumbia- where I’ll be sending most of my scouts. At Chivas in Mexico, I’ve heard great things of Carlos Fierro and Erick Torres. I’ll also keep an eye on Jordan Ayew at Marseille.

“Should you get the job, what kind of tactics would you be looking to employ?”

Fundamentally, football is about entertainment and one of my personal aims is to entertain the fans. Whilst it’s not my ambition to turn the club into Arsenal, I think that we can win games as well as play some good football. If you just want stay in your shell and lump the ball up, what’s the point in having so many talented ball players? We have to try and entertain. Bearing thisi n mind, I’ve looked at a footballing style called ‘tiki-taka’- funny name. Although I don’t necessarily want to copy Pepe Guardiola’s Barcelona, for me the best way to play this game is ‘pass and move’, especially if we can play one-touch football which would suit the likes of Dzeko, Aguero, Silva and Nasri. That way, we will create the situation where once someone closing us down has reached the player with the ball, it's already gone. Keeping the ball keeps our energy in tact and means the opposition team are spending most of the game closing us down- with hardly any energy left for when they do have the ball. That way, we can close them down quickly and build another attack. Over the course of a game, gaps will appear and the quality we have in the team will be telling. In my opinion, that's our best chance of winning games.

“Underyour guidance, what could the club achieve this season?”

For me, the Premiership title is the no.1 priority. Of course I’ll want to please the fans with a few memorable nights in the Champions League- victory in the FA Cup would be good backup if we did go out of both competitions. I see the Carling Cup as more of an opportunity to check out my younger players, up until the semi-final; otherwise we’re going to drain out the first team. Generally speaking, to beat Manchester United to the title would be a great start to my managing career here so we can then kick on from there and begin to think about trying to win the Champions League with the fans and your backing."

"Very well, thank you for your time, Gabriel. Should you get the job, we shall phone you within the next few days."

Last edited:
In real life man city would have told u to **** of if youldve said that;)

Monday 16th May 1994
Maine Road

Jim Cassell gathered all the ManchesterCity academy prospects around: “Right lads, this is a big week for everyone. We’ve seen you develop you from 9-years-old when you joined us to some talented young men with a very bright future. There are now 25 of you in this academy, by this time next week; just 5 of you will be promoted into the reserves side, and the rest of you will be released. For me, this is the hardest part of the job. It’s not a decision we’re looking forward to making, but make it we must. Whatever happens, we sincerely wish you the best of luck in future life. You have a week to convince us of your ability in the game, including a match on the last day of the season against the Manchester United academy.”

In the domatories that night, there was a stillness in the room. Compared with the usual noice of rap music, chatting and party atmosphere with smuggled bottles of alcohol and *********** magazines under the beds, there was silence. Gabriel was sure that some of the players were trying to put up a tough front, acting confidently to isolate individuals and put them off their games. He felt uneasy. Could this be end for Gabriel Sutton? With 5 places left, could he make it...
*******************​

Wednesday 6th July 2011
SKY SPORTS NEWS
images

Manchester City chairman, Garry Cook, has announced that the club have appointed Gabriel Sutton as their new manager. The 33-year-old has played at City throughout almost the whole of his footballing career. Sutton’s first press conference as manager is tomorrow and many fans across the football world will beintrigued to find out what the new manager’s plans are for the club, as a new era in Manchester City’s history dawns. Local fans have said: "I felt that we could have persuaded a better quality manager to come to us, especially with Carlo Ancelotti out of a job at the moment, so I'm slightly disappointed with that appointment.""I think we need to give Sutton a chance. He's certainly not a proven manager but he did captain us for a long time, he was very loyal and could be the type of manager we need. I'm disappointed we couldn't get Mourinho but I'm prepared to reserve judgement."With the fans holding a somewhat mixed view on their new manager, one supporter said: "I was very impressed with his loyalty to the club, he never bottled out of tackles, he was a top captain and a great player, but does that make him a great manager?"Time will tell whether Sutton is the answer to what those hard-core Manchester City supporters are looking for, and the reaction from them as far suggests it's a rather dubious decision from the Garry Cook and the club's board of directors.

Last edited:
Great read mate. Mourinho... Who the **** is he...It's all about Sutton!! Lol. In all seriousness good luck, just let United win everything. If you get a chance mate sign Leandro from Gremio and either train him up in youth or loan him out pure class!

haha- cheers mate :) thanks for the feedback and btw i loved man united: red devil in us all- congrats on story of the
week! best of luck with it. ill have updated another chapter by tommorrow night :)

Sunday 21st May 1994
Ewen Fields

"Okay lads, this is the big one, Manchester United have some of the best academy prospects in the world, they've already won the Academy Lancashire district league, we need to stop them winning the FA Youth Cup. You have 90 minutes to prove yourself."
Jim took Gabriel to one side: "Gabriel, United have got a top class midfield with the likes of David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes. I want you to get stuck in and show them how these City boys fight. Right lads, come on, LETS 'AVE IT!"
Jim Cassell's pep talk was greated by a roar from the team as they marched onto the pitch."

Thirty minutes into the game, and Gabriel was having a nightmare game. He seemed to be misplacing every pass and looked immobile and imcompetent against Ryan Giggs, who was nicking the ball off his feet every time. Stunned, Gabriel was in an emotional state as the game seemed to bypass him. At 2-0 down, the referee blew for half-time. Jim Cassell approached him by the touchline: "Gabriel, can I have a word?"

Wednesday 6th July 2011
TWITTER

@Lee_Dixon It'll be interesting to see how Sutton does in his new job at Manchester City- I've spoken to a few fans who
are hesitant about the move, looking for more experience- I think he'll settle in okay if he gets a good run of results to start the season. Otherwise he could well be in trouble!

@BBC_Lawrenson I'm looking to seeing Gabriel Sutton's press conference tommorrow. Hopefully he can bring a fresh approach to the club and provide them with a bit of energy- I'm backing him to surprise everyone and I think City could win the league this year.

@Balotelli45 Who is this Gabriel Sutton we speak of? I have not heard of him before. Where is Roberto Mancini? I just play football. Is good money.

@Jason_Manford hiya folks, heard we've got a new manager in. Shame about Mancini, but guess he felt his country calling. Sutto was a legend in the team a few years back, hopefully he'll deliver. Can't wait to go to the Community Shield at Wembley, should be a great game, looking forward to checking us out.

@Wazza10 heard the ****** have appointed a 33-year-old rookie! lol. looks like it'll be us for the title this season. again. this is amusing #The ****** are back
@Micah_Richards It'll be even more amusing when we beat you to the Premiership title this year
@Wazza10 oh, like the year I scored an overheard kick against you bunch of clowns
@Micah_Richards we'll at least I don't have to pay prossys from Norwich £1,000 to get some
@ash18_young at least I'm not going to get kicked out of the team because the club has got money to buy players that
don't suck.
@Milner_official yeah that's why united signed ashley young
@Wazza10 that's why we've won the league 19 times.

Sunday 21st May 1994
Ewen Fields

"What the **** are you playing at?" Jim Cassell was furious with Gabriel's first half performance.
"I'm sorry, Sir, I honestly don't know what'***** me."
"What happened to those crisp passes, those driving runs, those tackles you've made all season?"
"I promise you, Sir, I'll make it up to you in the second hald, I promise. Please just give me one more chance."
"It's not my decision to send you through to the reserves, Sutton. Brian Horton's got an unenviable task of making those final decisions. But, since your performances all season have merited it, I will give you a bit more playing time."
"Oh thank you, Sir, I promise I won't let you down."

A cold chill then came over Gabriel. He HAD too deliver now. Or else he'd be chucked off the team for good. The second half started...

With ten minutes to go, Gabriel had valiantly managed to help the team draw level at 2-2. A Bobby Charlton-esc long range strike just 4 minutes into the second half tipped the balance of the game in City's favour, before a great through ball set through Paul Dickov, who finished with aplomb. Gabriel was on another mazy run into the box, and just before he was about to pull the trigger, a horrible feeling- like his leg was being chopped off- came over him, he looked behind to see Roy Keane's determined face just as he, too fell on the floor. Penalty. All the lads in the team said: 'Gabriel. All yours." with a smile.
He stepped up, stood to the left of the ball, and planted it into the opposite corner of the goal. 3-2 and a great victory for the academy team. He had done it.

The next morning. Everyone was called down early. Gabriel was feeling in confident mood, he had played fantastically well all season long and was the hero in yesterday's game against the future stars of Manchester United as Brian Horton announced the names of those who had made it:

"Good morning everyone. I'm so sorry that it has come to this, I really hate this part of the job, I've been so impressed with all your performances throughout the season, but decisions must be made. (Taking a deep breath). Okay, here are the names:

Kevin Horlock, Shaun Goater, Paul Dickov, Jeff Whitley and...
Nicky Weaver.

What. There must have been a mistake. Surely. I can't have been kicked off the team. This was my dream. My future. My... life.

"Excuse me, Mr Horton, there must have been a misunderstanding. Why am I not on the list?"
"Sorry, son. You're not good enough. We appreciate what you've done for the academy but, it's over. I'm afraid you'll never play for us again."

And that was it. I stood there for 30 seconds.. shellshocked. All the glory of yesterday. Beating Manchester United. Gone.

I was just 16, and my life was over.

Last edited:
hi guys, ended that chapter on a bit of a downer there! anyways, do comment- really appreciate any feedback and stuff, trying to update as often as poss to keep it running but honestly do comment :) i dont bite (much)

Back