Manchester City- world domination project

Saturday 8th October 1994
A pub in Manchester

To celebrate him coming to Manchester, Gabriel had invited Benoit out for a drink.

“So how you been lately?”
“Is okay, yourself?”
“Not too bad, bit gutted about being kicked off the City team, but my girlfriends got a baby on the way.”
“Oh really? You did not tell me this! Congratulations!”
“Well, thanks- I guess I’ve got this football up. I’m over it.”
“Well, as it’s a night of announcements- you know Robert we met up with for lunch in Paris a few weeks ago, we’ve been going out for a long time now and.. we got engaged!”
“Oh Benoit, congratulations! That’s fantastic news!”
“My family are not sure about this, but feels right.”
“I guess when you know, you know, you know?”
“Yes, thank you.”
“So whens the wedding?”
“Is this summer! We’ve decided to get married by Church of Saint-Pierre, by the sea in Caen! You be invited!”
“Oh thank you so much, very happy for you.”

Friday 9th July 2011
London Waterloo

Gabriel was on his way to France for a meeting with Mbaye Niang and his agent in Paris- he had got a copy of Four-Four-Two magazine which he had finished since the journey from Manchester Piccadilly. There was an article of David Hall’s interview with him after the televised pressc onference. It read ‘Sutton- a Four-Four-Two fan’.

He got to Paris at 11, ready for a meeting at 1 o’clock. He fancied having a look round. Taking a few photos of Parc-des Princes, the ground of Paris-Saint German, from which he hoped to sign Mamadou Sakho. Noticing a nice café next to the river Seine on Boulevard Saint-Germain, he went inside for a coffee.

“Oh my god, Benoit, it’s been ages!”
“Gabriel! Hahaha How you doing? I heard you appoint manager Manchester Cite!”
“Yeah, I’m here for a meeting with this player’s agent!”
“Wonderful! Me and Robert hold season ticket for Paris Saint-German!”
“You should go and play Brighton.”
“What is Brighton?”
“Nothing. So, how have you been? Hardly seen you since the wedding, about 20 years ago!”
“Oh, we’ve been good, have invested in Café, we get good business. Love the river, is nice. Ah, Robert?”
“Oui?”
“Ce n’est Gabriel.”
“Ah, bonjour.”
“Hi mate, yeah, so I’m afraid I’m off to a meeting now, but it was great to see you both.”

“Ah, Mr Sutton, delighted to meet you, this is Mbaye Niang and I am his agent, Gerard Meunier.”
“Great to meet you both, thank you.”

“Mbaye is about to sign a new contract with SM Caen, what are your intentions should you go ahead with this deal?”

“Well, my scouting team have said that you have the potential to be one of the best players in the world. Although I respect your love for the club, I don’t think that you can reach your full potential at a team midtable in Ligue 1. No disrespect intended to Caen, but I feel that to be the best you need ambition. We have that in abundance at Manchester City.”
Whatever Gabriel said was translated by Meunier. Niang looked interested, rubbing his chin before he
whispered in his agent's ear.

"For the next 2 or 3 seasons, how will you use Mr Niang to help aid his development?"

"I feel that to get the best out of you, we need to gradually integrate you into the first team. Therefore,
we will play you in Carling Cup matches, and have you on the bench in other games. I will decide in
advance whether to put you on the bench, if there is no space, we may play Mbaye in the reserves
occassionally. But fundamentally we want to give you as much first team experience as possible. I will
see for the first year whether this benefits yourself. If not, I may consider sending you out on loan the
following season and monitoring the development the year after that."

“Once Mr Niang turns 17 on 19th December, what basic wage would you be prepared to offer him?

“I would wish to offer him £5,000 per week on a 3-year-deal,with a signing-on-fee and loyalty bonus of £50K.
Alongside this, we wish to offer him a £100 goal, assist and appearance fee.”

Once repeated, Mbaye looked offended.

“Mr Niang feels that we are quite far apart in these negotiations. He would require £10,750 per week, a signing on fee and loyalty bonus of £110K, with a £200 goal, assist and appearance fee.”

Gabriel felt it would be unwise to negotiate further than this with the club in such a healthy financial position.

“Deal.”

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, dunno if the storyline has lost its zing a bit- hope you all like it anyway, you've gotta admit, not many football manager stories have a bisexual frenchman in them! do feel free to comment

Good mate. I do think a meeting with an agent and a player would last longer. Perhaps some info for Niang about City and where he would fit in with the team... Loan, First Team, Tutored etc etc. Great update though.

think so- because i hadnt updated in a while im trying to get that sort of writer's twist back on to it rather than just saying what happened, so may do another one tonight, if not tommorrow

think so- because i hadnt updated in a while im trying to get that sort of writer's twist back on to it rather than just saying what happened, so may do another one tonight, if not tommorrow

Quality. Let me know. I've done one tonight aswell bud.

Ah thanks mate, I'm busy tonight- going to the Blues-Chelsea game tonight (im a birmingham city fan- not all brummies are drunken idiots- but quite a few of them are) should be interesting to see how chelsea do under di matteo. but i definately havent lost interest geneharper :)

Nice. I'm going to the Arsenal game with my dad for a bit of father-son bonding. I hope Arsenal win (they will, but won't go through), and that the Blues beat the Blues. ;)

ah cheers mate. actually arsenal is one of my favourite teams, so hope you do well against milan. i think you've
got a cracking trio of walcott, van persie and chamberlain. i was actually really ****** off with wenger that when he'd
lost nasri and fabregas, he signed a child from a league 1 reserve team. its like just spend! i thought it was over when
they lost 8-2 to united but wenger got it back and chamberlains looking like a top player. hope arsenal get top 4.

anyway similarly im going to the game with my dad for some bonding, good luck :)

Ah thanks Cai :) i heard you lost 4-3 on aggregate GeneHarper- unlucky- couldnt believe it
when you were 3 up at half time! we lost to chelsea, bit gutted but torres was ****- i fancy
arsenal for the top 4!

Hehe. I don't even support Arsenal (I don't really support anyone, I just like those playing good football - so right now it's Swansea and Fulham) but I wanted them to win so badly, just so I could say, 'I was there'.

oh thats cool- im a bit like that with birmingham, we can be quite boring (and pretty ****) at times, but i still go anyway- btw- is ur blackpool story online?

Sorry, my Blackpool story isn't online yet - I want to get a decent portion of it written before I post, to ensure regular updates (and I promise that isn't a dig at you).

I'm having a lot of fun developing the character of Karl Oyston.

nice story man! even though im an everton supporter i find this story awesome :)

Monday 12th​ July 2011
Ewen Fields
“Okay, gather round, everyone, gather around. Well done, I have seen some real commitment in that training session, you’ve all put in a good bid so far for the starting eleven against Manchester United in the Community Shield. You should be very proud.
Right, I have three announcements to make this morning. First of all, I’d like you all to welcome our newest signing for the team, Mbaye Niang. I think he has great potential and could turn into a top, top player. He’s only 16 and he’s travelled from France to be with us. I’d like you to make him feel very welcome (motioning to Samir and Gael).
Secondly, we have 11 new members of coaching staff, who, I think are some of the best in the business. Included in the new coaching team, is Martin Keown. Lads, don’t be shy. Martin, you’ll be pleased to know we’ve decided not to sign Ruud van Nistelrooy! (a reluctant chuckle from Keown).
Finally, I’d like to announce a pre-season tour of Kuwait! Do start packing; we shall be leaving early in the morning on Wednesday. Dismissed!

Monday 10th October 1994
Manchester

Gabriel had decided to go for a walk to clear his head- he had to find a part-time job somewhere but football was his only experience. How on earth was he supposed to find one? What a mess.

He was about to dwell on his own misfortune when he saw a sign:

BAMBER
BRIDGE FC- CATERERS WANTED!

Curious, he decided to have a look round and ask atreception.
“Hi, I’d be interested in the helping out with the catering stuff, can I bring in my CV?”
“Yeah, we’re not bothered about CV’s really, it’s only serving food. Go have a speak with the chairman; I’m sure he’ll happily accept you.”

Knock on the door.
“Come in.” Said a Scottish voice.
“Hi, excuse me; I’m here to see about the catering?”
The chairman stared at him like he was an alien.
“Are you okay?”
“Aren’t you the guy who played for Man. Cityin the FA Youth Cup final?”
“Err… yes.” Said Gabriel, slightly embarrassed.
“What the ****** **** are you doing here? Why aren’t you in the City first team lad?”
“Oh, I got kicked off the team- they ended my contract.”
“Those ****** BASTARDS.” He said, stubbing his cigar whilst still eying Gabriel
“I’m sorry, Mr Chairman, if you want me too play football again then you can forget it. It’s over. Finished. Finito. Gone.
My girlfriends having a baby. I have to move on. I’m sorry.”
"If you're gonna let those wee shites stop you, then you're not the player I thought you were.
"No. I don't think I'm the player I thought I was."

Back