Manchester Red/Blue divide (The unbias truth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakefish80

Banned
Reaction score
It seems you can't have a thread about City, City players or City fans without it being reduced to petty insults and idiotic name calling. So can we please refrain from such nonsense in this thread.

I've lived in Manchester all my life and i am very proud of the City i call home. The one thing Manchester is famous for above all else is it's football teams and the passionate rivalry that has existed between them for over a Century.

I, Like my father and Younger brother are passionate City fans. My mother and elder brother are Passionate Unite fans... Derby day in our household is... interesting to say the least (lol).

In tonights press conference Edin Dzeko claimed that there are more City fans in Manchester than United fans. He looked genuinely shocked when jouralists Ooood And Aaaaahhd at what he had said because it was probably just something he had been told by the few City fans he had met and had taken the comment as truth on face value alone.

The honest fact of the matter is that the red/ blue devide in Manchester is actualy very even. It used to be the case that City had almost twice the fans in Manchester (this is something i remember very vividly in my youth) than the reds. This gradualy changed after the founding of the premier league in the early 90's when a new breed of Mancunian football supporter came into being. Young lads and lasses who were in their early teens when the genius of Fergie coupled with a fantastic team brought trophie after trophie meant that in their eyes United were the only viable option for a young football fan not only in Manchester but around the nation (Just like many flocked to Liverpool in the 80's).

As i said however this was not always the case. The history of the beautifull game in Manchester is a facinating tale which is wasy too long and rich for me to attempt to regail you with now. Sufficing to say however that historicly it was City and not United who were deemed the true peoples club of Manchester as United were formed in Newton Heath, Now very much a district of North Manchester but back then and up to 1910 when they moved to Old Trafford Newton Heath was in the borrough of Oldham. The move to Old Trafford bipassed Manchester to another borrough and therefore to many Mancunians United were not seen as a true Manchester club (and they still arent)

Also for the first 85 years or so (the majority of both teams existances) City were the much more successfull club. Indeed it got to a point in the 1930's United were in so much trouble due to poor performances City had to loan them the use of our away kit to use as their first team shirt (Hence why to this day City fans reffer to them as "Rags").

So you see the geographical implications combigned with the comparative success of both clubs meant for many years the large majority of Mancunians were City fans and it is something we blues still claim to this day. However it simpley isn't the case anymore. Today there is a healthy split 50/50 of reds and blues in Manchester and i love it that way. It makes derby day great fun.

For those of you who may be interested here is the press conferance with Edin Dzeko where he made his claims. I sincerely don't believe he even knew there would be a big deal made of his comments. He seems rather bemused. He also seems like a very nice, down to earth, level headed young man... Who is about to terrorize the premier league XD

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/Edin-Dzeko-press-conference

Very nice piece. the last bit about Dzeko is spot on, there is a lot of stuff on his great attitude, its something that he has carried right through his career.

well said, i learnt a couple of things from that too!

It certainly looks unbiased, especially coming from a City fan.

But back to the present, is it true the supporter group is now called 'The Rich Arabs'? XD

i deleted your post for a reason. wind your neck in

Very nice to see an unbiased view for once :) Totally agree about what you said about Dzeko as well. When I was watching on SSN, he certainly did seem surprised at the reaction. Unfortunately it has been taken out of context as usual :S

Off topic a bit but are there no other clubs in Manchester because in Glasgow I cant think of around 10 - 15 teams ?

Very nice piece. the last bit about Dzeko is spot on, there is a lot of stuff on his great attitude, its something that he has carried right through his career.

He apparantly went through the kind of **** as a child that most of us can't imagine Mike. While i was getting stoned with my girlfriend listning to music at high school he was seeing his young mates blown up in Sarejavo. His house was blown to bits and he had to dodge sniper bullets daily.

I think this has done a lot to shape the person he is. Someone who is very mild mannered who looks at life very possitively. I have only seen a few interviews with him but i already really like the guy.

Last edited:
When is city's next game and will he be playing?

saturday vs wolves at home - i presume so because hes not elegible for the FA cup replay on tuesday so im guessing (and hopung) mancini will rest tevez on saturday so hes reet to play leicester

Off topic a bit but are there no other clubs in Manchester because in Glasgow I cant think of around 10 - 15 teams ?

That's a very good question actualy mate. Nice one ^^). The only professionally registered clubs that are technicaly within the boarders of Manchester as aposed to the massive urban sprawl of Greater Manchester are Manchester City and droylsden.

In theory Bolton Wanderers, Bury, Wigan Athletic, Stockport County, Rochdale, Oldham Athletic and Manchester United can all be said to be Manchester clubs. But within what is actualy the City of Manchester there are only the two. However i may be wrong.

Here is a map of Greater Manchester which swallowes up a huge chunk of the north west of England. If you guys can find any more then let me know :D

2dgq981.jpg

Last edited:
Yes we all live hand in hand don't we?? Nice read. I prefer the the banner stretford end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was it edited? Explain

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 AM ----------

Nah don't bother I am off joke

I live in Withington and from my experience of working in a pub for nearly a year there now, I'd say the divide is the same. Before coming to uni i was told there are more City fans compared to United fans in the city, so took this as face value.

But the majority of mancs who come in seem to differ in the side of the city they choose to support.

I love the derby day here, its such an immense atmosphere in any part of the city you go to.

What did you write which was edited? PM me dude ;)
i just removed the link to the stretford end site

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

I live in Withington and from my experience of working in a pub for nearly a year there now, I'd say the divide is the same. Before coming to uni i was told there are more City fans compared to United fans in the city, so took this as face value.

But the majority of mancs who come in seem to differ in the side of the city they choose to support.

I love the derby day here, its such an immense atmosphere in any part of the city you go to.
which pub do you work? Derby day is mental absolutely love it. if i'm not at the game i'm normally in a pub in fallowfield. Not the same since i went down south :(

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

which pub do you work? Derby day is mental absolutely love it. if i'm not at the game i'm normally in a pub in fallowfield. Not the same since i went down south :(

Great central mate, opposite Sainsburys? Right in the thick of it, you do find though that a lot of people from the area are City fans.

Aaagh i see. Something to do with that pesky banner i guess XD (enjoy it while it lasts fellas)

Great central mate, opposite Sainsburys? Right in the thick of it, you do find though that a lot of people from the area are City fans.

I know it well. Yeah Fallowfield is a staunchly Blue part of town. Fallowfield, Rusholme, Hulme, Moss Side. All the way down to Whythenshawe really is City terretory (mainly). I live in North Manchester (New Moston) It's very mixed up here but i'd say if anything it's slightly more Red.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.