Manchester United- The Edge of Greatness

Reaction score
This will be my first story on FM2010. I deceided to give Man United a go since I havent managed them since FM2008 and it would be interesting to manage them without Ronaldo or Tevez. Hopefully it will be an interesting read.

Should be pretty easy.

Good Luck

Maybe spend your money and bright talented youth players as you don't really need to mess around with your first team as it is already good and you have a good chance to win most comps with that team.

david silva/mirko vucinic/jesus navas

all right, just kidding. these are the players which i've seen them buy everytime. good luck on your story though (H)

Manchester United have just announced that Tommy Hayes will be taking over as manager after the recent departure of Sir Alex Ferguson. The talented young manager is said to be delighted at the prospect of managing his favourate team and hopes to emulate the successes of his predecessor. Hayes has said that his main aim is to win the Premier League, and therefore confirming Manchester United as the greatest ever English club. Hayes has been given a very big transfer budget and he hopes to spend the money wisely.

Transfers
In
David Silva from Valencia- £29m
Marek Hamsik from Napoli- £27m
Ronaldo from Corinthians- £2m
Out
Nani to Sunderland- £10m
Macheda to Atalanta- loan
Micheal Carrick to Juventus-£11.5m
Park Ji Sung to Bayern Munich- loan(fee £1.2m)
Magnus Eikrem to Burnley- loan
Danny Wellbeck to Fulham- loan

Friendly Results
vs Reserves(h) 3-0
vs Lokerem(a) 4-0
vs Mouscron(a) 2-0
vs Roselere(a) 3-0
vs Newcastle T(a) 5-0
vs Bury(a) 5-0
vs Antwerp(a) 3-0

After an impressive pre- season, Hayes and his team are preparing for his first competitve fixture, the season opener. The Charity Shield against Chelsea. With Chelsea being United's main contenders for the title, this game would give a good indication how each team is coping after appointing new managers.
Sir Alex Ferguson has said that he wishes Hayes all the best, but has also critisised his ''flamboyancy'' in the transfer market.

Charity Shield
Manchester United vs Chelsea
With both managers trying to impress the pressure was on, Silva and Hamsik started for United, while Iaquinta started for Chelsea. It was United who took the lead when Darren Fletcher headed home a David Silva corner. More pressure from United was rewarded when Wayne Rooney headed home from close range after great work from Dimitar Berbatov down the left. Finally Chelsea got their chance, Frank Lampard and Deco interchanged passess to slip Micheal Essien through to poke past United's second choice keeper Ben Foster. The second half was mostly played in the United third, but Evans and Ferdinand had an answer for everything Chelsea threw at them. Scholes and Giggs then came on for Hamsik and Silva, who both received a standing ovation. With most of the Chelsea team in the opposition box for a corner, O Shea cleared up to Berbatov who took on two men before setting up Rooney again, he couldn't miss.
Result
Manchester United 3-1 Chelsea
Fletcher Essien
Rooney(2)

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I know this may seem easy guys, im just trying to get used to the game is all. Thanks for all the comments

ronaldo thats very interesting signing, i was gonna go for him with bolton, but we have no money

ronaldo thats very interesting signing, i was gonna go for him with bolton, but we have no money

just incase Micheal Owen breaks his leg. But he is a steal at £2m. Getting him to tutor too. Can someone tell me how to take a screenshot......i forgot:O

I'm playing a similar game but I bought Gourcuff and Silva..........

I beatCelta B in the pre season 11-0

then lost to Chelsea 0-1

Bundled out of the Champions league in the group stages (mind you I had Atletico, Porto and Moskow).

Smashing it in the Europe league (as you'd ******* expect).

Changed my tactic recently and I am finally no longer conceeding goals.

Currently 2nd behind Chelsea in the league (a fair bit behind though)

just incase Micheal Owen breaks his leg. But he is a steal at £2m. Getting him to tutor too. Can someone tell me how to take a screenshot......i forgot:O

How do you get them to tutor man, i cant figure it out in the new one?

Last edited:
my bad wrong thread ill delete it my apologies mate

Create a screenshot folder in your sport interactive folder and when i game press ALT + F9 and that picture will be in the folder you just created.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

That link does not work.
lols, im sorry

How do you do that man??

as an example
you go into one of you younger player's profiles. Click the ''player interaction'' button. Sometimes one of the older players at the club would be a perfect tutor, but not all players can be tutored. Then just click....''state that you think ''name'' would benefit from adopting ''name'' style of play. Did it with Robinho and carlos Vela before.....magic

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

my bad wrong thread ill delete it my apologies mate

that made me laugh so much!!!!^^)

lol that made me laugh, i was reading down and i saw that:$

as an example
you go into one of you younger player's profiles. Click the ''player interaction'' button. Sometimes one of the older players at the club would be a perfect tutor, but not all players can be tutored. Then just click....''state that you think ''name'' would benefit from adopting ''name'' style of play. Did it with Robinho and carlos Vela before.....magic

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Cheers bud, I'll give it a crack tonigth

August Results

(if you dont want to read the description of the game, i'll just put the scorers below)

Premier League
Hull City 1-0 Man United
Worst possible start to Tommy Hayes campaign. Cousin gabbed the early goal, 90 minutes of pressure was not enough to get past Boaz Myhill in the Hull City net. Myhill was later awarded the M.O.M award.
Hull City Scorer- Daniel Cousin
M.O.M- Boaz Myhill
Man United 3-2 Stoke City
This game should have been a one sided affair. Ronaldo scored two early goals on his debut, one within 46 seconds and the other a dubious penalty decision. United slacked off and allowed Stoke to come at them.Ricardo Fuller scored on 42 minutes to leave the game delicately poised at half time. Matejovsky then equalised on 50 minutes, to the dismay of the United manager. Hayes played his final card, bringing on Anderson in midfeild. An inspired choice as his darting run into the box, created the opening for Wayne Rooney to score, with just 3 minutes remaining. United stole the victory, a shakey start from the champions.
Man Utd scorers- Ronaldo (2),Rooney
Stoke scorers- Fuller,Matejovsky
M.O.M- Ronaldo

Portsmouth 0-2 Man United
Man United were in control here from start to finish. Portsmouth just didn't seem to show up at all. Berbatov gave United the lead after a defence-splitting pass from Antonio Valencia. The second half was more sedated, however good work from Giggs on the left created the opening for Wayne Rooney to nod home from close range
Man United scorers- Berbatov,Rooney
M.O.M- David James

Man United 5-0 Burnley
United are finally starting to look like champions, this was a great win, and the five goal margain was not an exaguration. The game will be remembered for the 6 minute hat-trick from new-boy Marek Hamsik. Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov also got on the scoresheet
Man United scorers- Hamsik(3),Rooney,Berbatov
M.O.M- Marek Hamsik
View attachment 15161

And here's how things look at the end of August
View attachment 15162

Champions League Group C
Man United
Sporting CP
AZ
Rubin Kazan

League Cup
Chelsea vs Manchester United:O

train silva into a right midfielder use him as ur playmaker and he will score loads of goals in a normal 4-4-2 attacking formation

lol, unlucky on the hull result. and yeah, it irritates me when i score none despite shooting on target like **** due to the ****** on form keeper and then they score 1 and they win :mad:

Transfer Update
Man United manager Tommy Hayes has just completed the signings of four potential stars, just before the window closes

The first of these youngsters is Romélu Lukaku. A talented young striker who wants to learn his trade at United, he is currently being tutored by Dimitar Berbatov
View attachment 15163

Vaclev Kadlec is widely regarded as one of the hottest prospects in European football, Hayes has said he is delighted to have captured his signature. Kadlec has said that he wishes to learn from Ronaldo
View attachment 15164

Vincenzo Camillieri signed from Regina in Italy, after much negotiations. He has been compared to Paulo Maldini, Rio Ferdinand has said that he will teach the young star everything he knows
View attachment 15165

Marc Muniesa was a very cheap capture from Barcelona. He has sais that he is delighted to be working under Tommy Hayes, and that he will apply himself wll in training under the giudance of Nemenja Vidic
View attachment 15166

These signings along with Ronaldo,Hamsik and Silva add up to £65m this transfer window, although United have sold £22.5m worth of players, the pressure is on Hayes to get some results.....

train silva into a right midfielder use him as ur playmaker and he will score loads of goals in a normal 4-4-2 attacking formation

thanks. I have Valencia on the right though. Don't really need him to be scoring loads. I got pleanty of fire power. Once he chips in with the odd one, i'll be happy