Manchester United vs Aston Villa - 1/2/11

DMF

@dmf180593
Reaction score

File:Manchester_United_FC_crest.png
File:Aston_Villa.svg

Venue: Old Trafford
Kick Off: 20:00 GMT
Channels: Not on TV - Will post streams.
Referee: Chris Foy
Assistant referees: Dean Mohareb & Glenn Turner
Fourth official: Stuart Attwell

Manchester United duo Rio Ferdinand and Rafael are expected to return from injury, but Michael Carrick continues to struggle with an ankle problem.

Edwin van der Sar, Patrice Evra, and Nemanja Vidic are also expected to return to the starting line-up after sitting out the trip to Southampton.

Aston Villa will recall record signing Darren Bent, who was ineligible for their FA Cup win over Blackburn Rovers.

Nathan Baker is suspended following his red card against Rovers.

Manchester United

Doubtful: Carrick (ankle), Ferdinand (groin), Rafael (concussion)
Injured/unavailable: Hargreaves (hamstring), Park (fatigue), Valencia (ankle)

Aston Villa

Suspended: Baker (three matches)
Doubtful: Makoun (thigh)

MATCH PREVIEW

Manchester United's comeback kids entertain an Aston Villa side enjoying their own renaissance, as Sir Alex Ferguson's table toppers look to extend their unbeaten start to the season to a remarkable 24 matches. When you are down there in the Premier League it's not easy to get out of it. But two victories can make a difference and they are getting their squad back after injuries. Hot on the heels of two stunning comebacks in under a week, United will be wary of pushing their luck against the side who arguably came closest to inflicting their first Premier League defeat of the season in November's reverse fixture, when Federico Macheda and Nemanja Vidic struck in the final nine minutes to rescue an unlikely point.

A stunned Villa would go on to lose six of their next eight games in the league, and are only now beginning to show signs of recovery. They travel to Old Trafford looking for a fourth consecutive victory in all competitions, their best run of form since Houllier took charge in September. A result for United would see them extend their unbeaten record to an incredible 29 Premier League fixtures dating back to April 2010, matching their best-ever top-flight run set between December 1998 and October 1999.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
• Aston Villa have won only once in 28 games against Man Utd. Their 1-0 win at Old Trafford in last season's corresponding fixture was their first against United in 25 matches (all competitions).

• In league games only, United have lost just one of their last 30 meetings with Villa (W20, D9, L1).

Manchester United
• Unbeaten United are four points down on Arsenal's 'invincible' squad of 2003/04. United have 14 wins and nine draws from 23 games, compared with the Gunners' 16 wins and seven draws.

• Manchester United have won 11 of their 12 Premier League matches at Old Trafford this season, including the last eight.

• Dimitar Berbatov has scored 19 league goals this season - his best-ever return in a Premier League season.

Aston Villa
• Villa have dropped 14 points from winning positions in the league this season.

• As Liverpool manager, Houllier achieved the rare feat of five successive victories over United between 2000 and 2002. Only Arsene Wenger (9) has won more Premier League matches as a manager against Ferguson than Houllier (5).

• If selected, goalkeeper Brad Friedel will become the oldest player in the club's history at 39 years and 259 days, two days older than previous record holder Ernie Callaghan when he played against Grimsby Town in April 1947.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Manchester United
Berbatov: 20 goals (19 league); Hernandez: 11 goals (8 league)

Aston Villa
Bent: 12 goals* (9 league); Downing: 6 goals (5 league); Young: 6 goals (4 league); Heskey: 6 goals (3 league)

* Bent scored 11 goals (8 league) for Sunderland

LINE UPS

Manchester United

Van Der Sar
O'Shea Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Nani Fletcher Carrick Giggs
Rooney Berbatov

Subs: Lindergaard, Smalling, Fabio, Anderson, Scholes, Owen, Hernandez

Aston Villa

Friedel
Walker Dunne Collins Clark
Makoun Petrov
Albrighton A Young Downing
Bent

Subs: Marshall, Heskey, Agbonlahor, Pires, Delfouneso, Reo-Coker, Cuellar

Prediction..

Manchester United 3-0 Aston Villa
Berbatov x2, Nani

Last edited:
After the crazy transfer window, our heads are up in the clouds, and this will be the game to bring us back down to Earth.

That said, there's a real feelgood factor around the club now. Bent, as well all know, is a poacher of proven pedigree. Walker is showing immense promise, Bradley is an impressive capture, and Makoun has already shown his grit in being injured in the first minute ofthe game against Wigan and playing through the pain. And of course, with a weaker squad, we so nearly beat United too. The thing most promising is our newly found movement and passing, which is a joy to watch at times.

Prediction: United 2-0 Villa

Will go for a 3-1 with Nani, Berbatov and Rooney for us. Young for them.

How have you predicted Bent scoring in a 3-0 DMF? XD

After the crazy transfer window, our heads are up in the clouds, and this will be the game to bring us back down to Earth.

That said, there's a real feelgood factor around the club now. Bent, as well all know, is a poacher of proven pedigree. Walker is showing immense promise, Bradley is an impressive capture, and Makoun has already shown his grit in being injured in the first minute ofthe game against Wigan and playing through the pain. And of course, with a weaker squad, we so nearly beat United too. The thing most promising is our newly found movement and passing, which is a joy to watch at times.

Prediction: United 2-0 Villa

I just think because we're at home, it'll be an even tougher task for you. We've seemed unbeatable at home recently and the defence has been rock solid. With Rio and Rafael due back too I can't see us doing badly.

Sticking by my 3-0 prediction.

Prediction..

Manchester United 3-0 Aston Villa
Berbatov x2, Nani - Bent.

Did you mean to put Bent in your prediction mate?

Edit, just seen sombody has mentioned XD

Im thinking 2-1 to united. Nani and Rooney. Gabby scoring for Villa

man utd 4 ----------------------------------------------------- 1 villans
nani, berbax2, rooney (fingers crossed)------------- bent

Is Vidic playing? Because if he is, then we need to play Agbonlahor. He terrorises Vidic. In the same way, Albrighton ripped Evra to shreds last time we played, so there's a difference of opinion on how Villa should line up. Personally I'd like to see this:

Friedel
Cuellar Dunne Collins Clark
Petrov(c) Makoun*
Albrighton Young Downing
Bent

*if available. If not, replace with NRC.

Either that, or a 4-4-2 with Agbonlahor playing up front at the expense of Albrighton.

Manchester Unted 3 Aston Villa 2

Berbatov, Chicharito, Nani ; Darren Bent, Clark

HOPEFULLY 1-2. I think they are capable of this. I doesn't seem to be hard to get the better of Man Utd, just seems to be hard to not let them get the better of you, hopefully Villa score first and have the legs to see it out. However if Utd get to 2-0 it will be a rout I think.

HOPEFULLY 1-2. I think they are capable of this. I doesn't seem to be hard to get the better of Man Utd, just seems to be hard to not let them get the better of you, hopefully Villa score first and have the legs to see it out. However if Utd get to 2-0 it will be a rout I think.

It is a home game though, we don't usually play as bad as we have in other games there. ^.^

It is a home game though, we don't usually play as bad as we have in other games there. ^.^
Not usually but you do sometimes, I remember I worked the Wolves match at Old Trafford (I work there part-time when I can), fans came in crying about how they were lucky to win that etc etc, I'm not allowed to say I'm Arsenal fan but man I was so tempted :p

Hard one this to predict Villa have made good signings and if we were away I would be nervous about the match, but since were at home were we look solid I'm going for a 2-1 win. Rooney x2 - Young (Pen)

It's going to be tough but I'm going for 1 - 0. Berbatov

Not usually but you do sometimes, I remember I worked the Wolves match at Old Trafford (I work there part-time when I can), fans came in crying about how they were lucky to win that etc etc, I'm not allowed to say I'm Arsenal fan but man I was so tempted :p

Then you should be knowing that we played our 2nd choice and 3rd choice players in that match.