Manchester United vs Manchester City - 12/2/11

DMF

@dmf180593
Reaction score

Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester
Kick Off: 12:45pm
Channels: Sky Sports HD2, Sky 3D

Manchester City travel the short distance across the city to arch rivals Manchester United in one of the most anticipated derby games in recent memory. League leaders Manchester United will be looking to bounce back from their first league defeat since last April, after they lost 2-1 against Wolves last Saturday, while visitors City look to continue their good form after a 3-0 win against West Bromwich Albion.

Since Manchester City's Arab owners started spending freely, these derbies have become much more intense and highly anticipated. Last season saw the returning Carlos Tevez attempt to power his side against Manchester United, but fell to defeat on 3 of the 4 occasions, twice in the league and once in the Carling Cup.

The two sides played out a bore draw in November, with many people claiming that Manchester City 'parked the plane' on their home ground to ensure that they weren't defeated but many people are expecting a much more open game of football at Old Trafford as we near the climax of the title race - which both sides are still heavily involved in.

Rio Ferdinand looks set to miss out for the league leaders, after he picked up a calf strain during the warm up in last weeks defeat at Wolves, while City are still without Mario Balotelli and Adam Johnson. Antonio Valencia is set to step up his recovery this week, but will not be considered for the squad.

KEY PLAYERS

Nani has been in fantastic form the Red Devils, topping the leagues assists chart with 12, as well as scoring 8 goals. He is United's main creative spark in midfield, and although he can blow hot and cold with his passing - he usually turns in at least 3/4 quality crosses throughout the game which lead to goalscoring opportunities. He also is capable of shooting with either foot and possesses great speed, something that Alexandre Kolarov will have to do very well to cope with.

Carlos Tevez is undoubtedly the main man for Manchester City. With 20 goals this season already, he looks set to challenge for the Golden Boot award and fire Manchester City towards the league title. Possessing amazing strength, good speed and the ability to score with both feet or his head he is the main threat. Add that to the fact he'll be buzzing at competing against his former club again he'll be the danger man that Vidic and co should focus on.

LAST 5 MEETINGS

Manchester United 4-3 Manchester City
Rooney, Fletcher x2, Owen - Bellamy x2, Barry

Manchester City 0-1 Manchester United
Scholes

Manchester City 2-1 Manchester United
Tevez x2 - Giggs

Manchester United 3-1 Manchester City
Scholes, Carrick, Rooney - Tevez

Manchester City 0-0 Manchester United

PREDICTED LINE UPS

VDS
Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
Nani Carrick Fletcher Giggs
Rooney Berbatov

Tevez
Silva Y.Toure Milner
De Jong Barry
Kolarov K.Toure Kompany Richards
Hart

PREDICTIONS

MANCHESTER UNITED 2-0 MANCHESTER CITY
Berbatov, Rooney

I realise it's early, but I'm excited about it so please let me off (A)

Last edited:
I was planning to start match day thread for this, **** you ;)

On topic, Hope this wont be the snooze fest like it was at eastlands.

I have a feeling that Mancini will park the bus like he did against Arsenal, it will be tough to break the defense. And Anderson is a must for this game and other mid fielder is a problem.
Fletcher for these sort of games gives 200 % and he is the player we desperately need when going gets tough, on the other hand Carrick is the perfect partner for Anderson.

VDS

Rafael Smalling* Vidic Evra

Nani Carrick Anderson Giggs/Park

Rooney Berbatov

* I think Ferdinand will start, maybe Fergie is just tring to play mind games .
Still not sure whether we go for 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, hope we opt for 4-4-2 with Rooney and Berba starting as our home form is nothing sort of brilliant.

I was planning to start match day thread for this, **** you ;)

On topic, Hope this wont be the snooze fest like it was at eastlands.

I have a feeling that Mancini will park the bus like he did against Arsenal, it will be tough to break the defense. And Anderson is a must for this game and other mid fielder is a problem.
Fletcher for these sort of games gives 200 % and he is the player we desperately need when going gets tough, on the other hand Carrick is the perfect partner for Anderson.

VDS

Rafael Smalling* Vidic Evra

Nani Carrick Anderson Giggs/Park

Rooney Berbatov

* I think Ferdinand will start, maybe Fergie is just tring to play mind games .
Still not sure whether we go for 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, hope we opt for 4-4-2 with Rooney and Berba starting as our home form is nothing sort of brilliant.

I think for this game, Fletcher > Anderson because he knows what it means and as you said he always give 200% in these games. Whereas Anderson has the foreign mentality and although he knows it's a massive game, maybe he doesn't know what it means to all the fnas and locals.

Carrick and Fletcher should start in CM, or even Scholes and Fletcher. Don't think Rio will start, they said after the Wolves game that he'll be out for about 2/3 weeks so I don't except him to start. I just really hope he doesn't start Evans otherwise we'll be in big trouble.

I think for this game, Fletcher > Anderson because he knows what it means and as you said he always give 200% in these games. Whereas Anderson has the foreign mentality and although he knows it's a massive game, maybe he doesn't know what it means to all the fnas and locals.

Carrick and Fletcher should start in CM, or even Scholes and Fletcher. Don't think Rio will start, they said after the Wolves game that he'll be out for about 2/3 weeks so I don't except him to start. I just really hope he doesn't start Evans otherwise we'll be in big trouble.

But Anderson is in excellent form and he is our only creative mid apart from Scholes. I have a feeling we might for for 4-5-1 with Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson or Scholes starting.

And i have to slightly disagree on foreign mentality part. We have Rafael who showed what it means for him when we played at Eastlands. Yeah Fletcher gives more than any, so i think we might have to leave out Carrick then if we opt for 4-4-2.

united 4-0 !!!!!

tevez hatrick own goals + rooney lob

I'm hoping that Man City don't do the same to us as they did at Eastlands, and that was basically having everyone behind the ball at all times. It stopped us from scoring, but it made the game boring and surely at home you want to play more attacking football?

In my opinion, when Carrick and Fletcher play together, the ball doesn't seem to move up the pitch as quickly as it does when Scholes or even Anderson play, but they're the better two when it comes to defensive duties.

It'll probably be a tight match, but I think United will win 1-0 with hopefully Rooney scoring.

Evans has been terrible to watch this season. If Mancini plays Dzeko and we play Evans then we're in trouble.

think will be boring game city with 11 behind the ball mancini never attacks away from home against big teams hope united win 3-0 would be nice rooney 1 berba 2

I hope Mancini will tactically rape Baconface. (not parking the bus, it's a sucide)

I'd like to see Mancini show a bit of bravery and play Dzeko and Tevez up front, but I just can't see it. Unless there is an early goal, it'll be as boring as the game at Eastlands. Crossing my fingers that Rio is fit as well, we just don't look safe with Smalling or Evans

Easy game for United I reckon.
Just lost a game, so our players should be ****** they got beat by Wolves, and will look to dominate City to prove that it was a one off. And knowing City, they will park the bus and hope that Nani, Rooney or Berbatov aren't in a scoring mood.

I'd like to see Mancini show a bit of bravery and play Dzeko and Tevez up front, but I just can't see it. Unless there is an early goal, it'll be as boring as the game at Eastlands. Crossing my fingers that Rio is fit as well, we just don't look safe with Smalling or Evans
totally agree we mist ferdie big style last weekend against wolves dont know whats happened to evans and smalling just to young and still learning

XD
Would prefer brutal rape ;)

If Baconface plays Evans ...(i really hope he does). Then.....it could be a brutal rape ;) He is the worst Cb i've seen in a while tbh. (in a Manchester United shirt)

Last edited:
If Baconface plays Evans ...(i really hope he does). Then.....it could be a brutal rape ;) He is the worst Cb i've seen in a while tbh.

I dont know about that, Have you seen Lescott try to defend. ;)

i think we will win 2-1, With Rooney getting a brace and Scarface scoring for them,

Can see Fergie lining up 4-3-3.

If Baconface plays Evans ...(i really hope he does). Then.....it could be a brutal rape ;) He is the worst Cb i've seen in a while tbh.

Must be high. Even if Man Utd play Evan's and Smalling, Man City wouldn't be able to get off the bus ^^)

If Baconface plays Evans ...(i really hope he does). Then.....it could be a brutal rape ;) He is the worst Cb i've seen in a while tbh.`(in Manchester United shirt)

Worst CB? oO)

Evans is in poor form, thats it. When he is back to his best you will see how good a CB he is. BTW thisis the same Evans who handled Drogba and Zlatan. He is that good. **** knows what has happened to him this season.

Mancini has parked the bus against Chelsea, Arsenal(twice), and Man. U

What makes you think he won't do it this time?

It will be a 0-0 boring draw.

Worst CB? oO)

Evans is in poor form, thats it. When he is back to his best you will see how good a CB he is. BTW thisis the same Evans who handled Drogba and Zlatan. He is that good. **** knows what has happened to him this season.
he has lost confidence when it comes to aerial strikers