Manchester United vs Marseille - 15/3 Champions League 2nd Leg

No. Hard worker, as in works hard in a match, finds space, hassles opponents. Work ethic refers to how hard he trains, and his general desire to succeed.

I probably didn't make it clear enough though, been reading Lance Armstrong's biography and he talks about the difference between the two a lot.

Gotcha, he basically has a high wotk ethic both on and off the pitch. Apparently he's always one of the first to arrive at training and the last to leave.

Gotcha, he basically has a high wotk ethic both on and off the pitch. Apparently he's always one of the first to arrive at training and the last to leave.

Exactly. And as we all know, that is something that can make the difference between a good player and a truly great one. Beckham wouldn't have been half the player without his great work rate, same goes for Rooney now. I always like to see the hard workers do well, it's their just reward for their work. I like Hernandez, he seems to enjoy his football. He is a superb striker, and will only get better under Sir Alex's guidance.

Rooney&Hernandez partnership is looking good :) Rooney can supply and Chicharito ofc can finish!!!

Little Mexican saved us again. He has so many games on his won, it is joy to watch him play with a smile. He is so refreshing and the major addition we needed in the summer. (Just had a feeling, had we got Hernandez we would have won the league last season, please dont quote this).

But for me MOTM was Rooney. He was absolute majestic to watch. Some of his passes, even Scholes would have been proud of. He is enjoying his old role Rooeny #10. He is at this best and creates havoc when given free role and Hernandez is the perfect striker for him now. It can get better only as I'm sure Hernandez overall play will improve with time.

This is what Rooney said about this partnership.

"He's got great movement so I'm playing the position that I did when I started playing professionally. I'm enjoying it and thankfully he's a finisher," Rooney said.

Fergie is also very happy with the pair.

"It's been developing well," Ferguson said of the partnership.

"Where Wayne has been playing in the past couple of games he is a real threat. He has such power and speed and Hernandez is unbelievable with his movement.

"The boy has goals in him."

Hernandez's movement is excellent and makes it so tough for defenders to mark him. Just love him. He has become fan fav in such a short time and very impressed with his work rate. In the second half, he ran whole length and made very good sliding interception. Had he missed, we would have been in trouble.

And Valencia seems to develop knack of playing reverse ball. The one the he played to Giggs for the second goal. Even against Arsenal he did that. Valencia seems to more thinking player than before.

Nani and Valencia on wings, Rooney and Hernandez as strikers. Anderson as a CM with either Fletcher or Carrick. Pure pace..

Flecther/Carrick Anderson​
Valencia Nani​
Rooney​

Hernandez​

Oh and Hernandez did what Ibra couldn't do for a decade bar last season. Scoring in the champions league knock outs.. ;)

Last edited:
He is enjoying his old role Rooeny #9. He is at this best and creates havoc when given free role and Hernandez is the perfect striker for him now.

That's the point. He's playing as a #10 in a free role behind Hernandez - you even showed it with your formation later on.

Have I just completely misread this or are you confusing a number 9, and a number 10 (Traditionally)?

That's the point. He's playing as a #10 in a free role behind Hernandez - you even showed it with your formation later on.

Have I just completely misread this or are you confusing a number 9, and a number 10 (Traditionally)?

Thanks for spotting it. It was a typo. I meant traditional #10.

And overweight. And inconsistent.

... but still has the potential to be a great player.

I might be late on quoting this, but I have every faith in him to turn out well. Now that he is loan to West Bromwich Albion, hopefully he will learn the trade, and come back with some enthusiasm to break into Arsenal's first-team. Should either Nasri or Arshavin drop in form.

Carlos Vela is a wonderful talent. I wouldn't mind him myself at United in all honesty.

... but still has the potential to be a great player.

I might be late on quoting this, but I have every faith in him to turn out well. Now that he is loan to West Bromwich Albion, hopefully he will learn the trade, and come back with some enthusiasm to break into Arsenal's first-team. Should either Nasri or Arshavin drop in form.

Carlos Vela is a wonderful talent. I wouldn't mind him myself at United in all honesty.

I'd love for him to come back and do well, but I really don't believe he will. He's a fantastic finisher at times, but at 22 he should really be breaking into the Arsenal side, not on loan to lose weight and get some match fitness...

I've watched him a lot, and he's barely progressed in the past 2 years, unfortunately. He burst onto the scene when we played Sheffield Utd and he scored that wonderful hat trick when our Young Guns beat them 6-0 or something in the Carling Cup, three superb finishes. Since then, he's done next to nothing apart from score the occassional one on one when we're already winning 3-0.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he returns from his loan - as I see it, he's a forward but doesn't fit into the Arsenal system. A poacher rather than a complete forward, and he'll have competition from Bendtner, Chamakh, RvP, JET (Although the latter is another one who lets himself go a little at times & has been criticised for his work rate and ethic.)

This thread isn't about Vela though - I just wanted to respond to whoever said Vela is just as bright a talent or whatever it was.

Sir Alex Ferguson made it 100 wins in the Champions League last night – guiding United to a fifth successive quarter-final.

United have made it to the quarter finals of the champions league 12 times in the premier league era. No team has made it more than United. Consistent.

Hernandez last night never done much in terms of with the ball at his feet, The boys movement and pace is just too **** good, He can find space and lose defenders with the blink of an eye and is ideal player for united, Would be good to see Rooney Berba and Chicha all play in the one game in form and see what happens..United scouts have done a superb job with Chicharito, He reminds me of Ole Gunner normally coming off the bench to score and has a baby face even though he still is a baby :p

If united could find 1 striker to be the perfect partner for Berbatov ( even though him and Rooney do work well ) We could very well see United create what they used to have in 2 great striker partnerships: Cole & Yorke - Ole Gun & Teddy - S. Berba & ? - Rooney & Chicha :wub:

Edit: He truly is an Ideal Role model for many kids. He just seems like a player who would play for nothing just because he loves football. - His story is a bit like the movie Goal eh. ( not exact but you know what i mean)

Last edited:
Glad to be on target with scoreline prediction.

Was good to see Hernandez continuing his good form.

If Arsenal can win agains Barcelona, so can we! Great victory, feel little sorry for Brown. I love this new/old Rooney. He is everywhere. Looking foward to out next game!!

Well, I think the French seem to be making quite the inroads into the Champions League.I think in the next 10-15 years we could have a European Champion from France, again.