Manuel Pellegrini 4-4-2 Football Manager 2014 Tactic by Passion4FM

Goals against are just too easy, one ball behind the back 4, forward runs onto it and pang - goal. Nottm F did this 3 times and won 3-2.
My best coach has 12 tactical knowledge and 14 in defence. It is of course the first season and the Ayala (DC) is new from the game start and I have brought in a new DL and DR and sold Rhys Williams. So it could be that of course but still frustrating - a theme I seem to be experiencing all the time in FM 14.

yup, it's very very frustrating. defence is a mess. as you said - maybe def. positioning will help because going forward the tactic is great. you can try experimenting with not giving your CBs mark tighter instruction, but again, there really is no way to stop the bugged defenders not knowing about player runs behind them

I really want this to work but it seems that you need world class defenders for it to work and Boro don't have those......View attachment 542526View attachment 542523

I'm putting the match prep to def positioning

i've made this work with blackpool, even concord rangers so you don't need the very best defenders ;) make sure they have high stats for positioning, concentration and anticipation cause it really helps

I changed the match prep to def positioning and took away the tight marking for the centre backs - starting with the Barnsley game. :D
View attachment 542599

looks good. thing is, i think the tight marking for defenders is very unbalanced in this ME, as it makes the defenders run around just to have someone on tight marking. silly

And then this happens.......View attachment 542653

FM 14 stands obviously for F***ing maddening

yes it's very very frustrating. i wonder if the odd terrible is a balancing issue. because you create so many CCC usually and dominate your opposition only to get the odd one shot against you. happens regularly unfortunately. but you can't really beat that - the tactic still works great imo

yes it's very very frustrating. i wonder if the odd terrible is a balancing issue. because you create so many CCC usually and dominate your opposition only to get the odd one shot against you. happens regularly unfortunately. but you can't really beat that - the tactic still works great imo

Don't mind getting beat by the odd goal but 6-3 - it's not as I'm playing against Barcelona, if Birmingham can do this to this tactic then what will happen in the Premeirship ?

Don't mind getting beat by the odd goal but 6-3 - it's not as I'm playing against Barcelona, if Birmingham can do this to this tactic then what will happen in the Premeirship ?

i finished 6th with Blackpool after winning the Championship in the first season. You'll be fine ;)

new update is out. make sure to re-download to the newest version. fixed some defence issues

new update is out. make sure to re-download to the newest version. fixed some defence issues

What changes have you made to make it more solid ? I was trying out dropping the Trequartista into the AMC and dropping the BWM def into the DM position and making him into a regista.
View attachment 400373
If that doesn't work better then the next step would be to make the wing backs into fullbacks.

Last edited:
What changes have you made to make it more solid ? I was trying out dropping the Trequartista into the AMC and dropping the BWM def into the DM position and making him into a regista.
View attachment 543308
If that doesn't work better then the next step would be to make the wing backs into fullbacks.

i just removed tight marking. it's more solid like that - the defenders don't rush out so much out of their zone

First game without training the tactic in pre-season:
View attachment 552024

looks nice. I built the tactic on Real Madrid myself. Bale is sometimes unplayable in the winger role. Isco on the other flank gets most assists every season as well. Try unlearning shoots from distance on Cr7, his wild shooting drives me insance sometimes. I also bought Goretzka and H?jbjerg to rotate on BBM. They get so beast it's insane. Monster players. Both big, strong and super complete players able to destroy and create. Have fun with the tactic!

looks nice. I built the tactic on Real Madrid myself. Bale is sometimes unplayable in the winger role. Isco on the other flank gets most assists every season as well. Try unlearning shoots from distance on Cr7, his wild shooting drives me insance sometimes. I also bought Goretzka and H?jbjerg to rotate on BBM. They get so beast it's insane. Monster players. Both big, strong and super complete players able to destroy and create. Have fun with the tactic!

Here's an update for you:
League Table:
aaed8c4b5e24b7cfd7ffb94540a86848.png
We're sitting top just about but only lost 1 league game out of 14 which was the El Clasico vs Barca. Scoring lots of goals and defence is fairly solid.

League Stats:
e1d0cef796b99c132ea8859c3063fde6.png

Highlight of the season so far:
fb2f138f98ee2f93ca46332bab9aec5e.png

Smashed Athletico 4-0 in my first Madrid Derby

Biggest Disappointments so far:
adf828d3ab21eaabaeea8ae98b1ded96.png

Lost 4-1 to Barca

8ec3fea9d4d088c3994becf6a68768ac.png

Champions League Group Stage performance so far, if I win next game at home vs Schalke I should get 2nd at least as Schalke will be playing Ajax last game at home so should beat them!