I've got a question on that Barca Tiki Taka tactic. Do you have much experience with it? If you don't have a trequartista, what setting would you set for the striker? I ask because ... well, I've been cheating.

I decided to go back and pick up my old Real Salt Lake save playing in the MLS. I managed to get to the NACL final, lost the away game 0-1 and for the life of me could not beat Pachuca at home. Kept conceding silly goals. And I kept reloading (that's the cheating bit). My goal was to play in the Club World Cup again, so I was desperate to win but was suffering a major injury crises. After trying two or three times with some different setups I used the Barca Tiki Taka tactic and used Kaka (managed to sign him on a free as a Designated Player) as my trequartista ST. But now Teal Bunbury is coming back from injury and he has been a goal scoring machine using Raikan's Complete Madness 4-3-3. But I really like how well the team is playing with the Tiki Taka.

I've got a question on that Barca Tiki Taka tactic. Do you have much experience with it? If you don't have a trequartista, what setting would you set for the striker? I ask because ... well, I've been cheating.

I decided to go back and pick up my old Real Salt Lake save playing in the MLS. I managed to get to the NACL final, lost the away game 0-1 and for the life of me could not beat Pachuca at home. Kept conceding silly goals. And I kept reloading (that's the cheating bit). My goal was to play in the Club World Cup again, so I was desperate to win but was suffering a major injury crises. After trying two or three times with some different setups I used the Barca Tiki Taka tactic and used Kaka (managed to sign him on a free as a Designated Player) as my trequartista ST. But now Teal Bunbury is coming back from injury and he has been a goal scoring machine using Raikan's Complete Madness 4-3-3. But I really like how well the team is playing with the Tiki Taka.

1. Sorry for the lateness in replying but I was away on holiday.
2. I tend to rotate people up front who are not necessarily adept at TREQ with little adverse effect. Btw I find that playing one player with good stats out of position does not adversely affect the tactics (in sw employing tactics I routinely use cbs with the corect stats and its ok).
3. The tiki taka is A LOT of work. You need to have 7/8 sets of shouts, watch matches etc. But when you get the hang of it its beautiful.
4. I never use the tiki taka alone. As previously explained I use always 2 more separate tactics and alternate according to what scouts advise.

No worries, hope you had a good holiday. Man, my MLS campaign is a disaster. There's still time to make the play-offs but I really need to go on a good run.

HOW TO ENSURE YOU DONT CONCEDE IN THE LAST MINUTES OF MATCHES - PART 1

We all know how frustrating it can be to let a narrow lead slip away very late on, particularly if it's a match you were in control of.

The most popular approach to wind down the clock and hang on to a result is to adopt a Contain strategy, alongside a combination of touchline instructions, such as Drop Deeper, Stay On Feet, play narrower and Stand Off Opposition (also pass to feet and retain possession). Many apply this as a universal rule in their matches. The potential problem with this approach is that such changes may actually be counter-productive. But sometimes the manager doesn't necessarily need to be so defensive. It may even be making it more likely that the opposition will score (dont forget that “retain possession” in combination to those other shouts equates to dithering on the ball so if your team is not technically up to it or can be outmuscled by the other side, therefore it may be a recipe for disaster).

There are various different ways in which you can neutralise the opposition in order to clinch that vital result.

The main issue to consider when adopting an extremely defensive mentality is that it invites pressure. The opposition is allowed to advance at will before warranting sustained pressure until they are met with any resistance (drop deep / stand off / stay on feet exacerbate this. So, this approach should be far from your mind if you have had the upper-hand for the vast majority of the match, or if the opposition happens to be a significantly weaker team that have been defending up until this point. If you have been able to control the match and peg the other team back, what merit is there in dropping back and finally giving them enough space to create chances? In this situation, a slightly reduced mentality and a modified approach geared towards keeping the ball can more than suffice. Not only is this likely to be a more practical way of thwarting the opposition under the circumstances, but it's also likely to represent less of a change compared with your starting tactic Also, sudden changes in mentality are innately problematic. So, if you started the match with a positive approach involving an Attacking or Control strategy, your team is always going to struggle more when suddenly switching to a Contain strategy, much more so than if you were going from Standard to Contain, for example.

Not only is the team being asked to do something drastically different, but it's also inviting unnecessary pressure on top of that. This logic, combined with consideration of the mechanical aspects, strongly advocates only slight modification when you're defending against a weaker team. So, possibly a Standard mentality, alongside shouts such as Get Stuck In, Pass To Feet and/or Retain Possession. This would more than likely ensure that your team eases off slightly and comfortably holds onto the ball, allowing you to still control the game, yet still be more than stable enough defensively, even if at the expense of attacking intent. The logic in not dropping back more than that is that if the smaller opposition haven't been able to be particularly threatening throughout the game, then they're going to struggle just as much to do so now, even when getting more players forward. No need to back off and gift them the space on a plate that they've not been able to find otherwise.

Naturally, it's different if you are the smaller team attempting to maintain a flattering scoreline against more better opposition, or if you have been outplayed and outfought (in which case as early as possible in the match look to substitute in stronger/more aggressive players and either manually/through shouts have the team tackle and press more and harder and close space esp mf space better and in this respect tweaking your formation may also help). If you still have struggled to contain a team over the course of a match, it's inevitable that when they turn up the pressure that you'll be even more overrun than you were before in the final minutes. THIS is when you should drop back and shut-up-shop (but do it carefully gradually and only for the last 5-10 minutes). There is little to no chance of suddenly pressuring the opposition in ways that you've been unable to previously, so better to get men behind the ball, maintain the team's shape and try to weather the storm by being as difficult as possible to break down. So, a Contain or Defensive strategy, supplemented by shouts such as Drop Deeper, Stand Off Opponents, Stay On Feet, and Play Narrower.

An alternative way of approaching this stage of a match is to be counter-attacking. Generally speaking, this method will only be as effective as your team is at counter-attacking in general. So, if you haven't built a tactic around counter-attacking and been successful with it, this approach is most likely not your best option now, of all times, when such an approach would need to be at its most effective. In general I dont like counter tactics EXCEPT those made by COOKIEMAKER. Anyway, a Standard, Counter or Defensive (depending on how far you're deviating from your starting tactic, as well as your team's performance on the day) mentality, in addition to the touchline instructions of Drop Deeper, and Clear Ball To Flanks, possibly Get Ball Forward, or even Pass Into Space in order to encourage longer balls that play your wingers into space, which can be especially effective if the other team has adopted a desperate 4-2-4 shape. Stay On Feet and Stand Off Opponents is optional here.

Last edited:
HOW TO ENSURE YOU DONT CONCEDE IN THE LAST MINUTES OF MATCHES - PART 2

If a Standard strategy is used, it makes more sense for your team to not be backing off so much.

In contrast, if you choose a Counter strategy, lower closing down becomes more important, so Stand Off Opponents should definitely be considered, as this mentality requires more emphasis on team shape than Standard. With Defensive though, you may as well use both Stand Off Opponents and Stay On Feet. After all, your players are sitting so deep that they may as well be looking to force the other team to break them. Otherwise, if midfielders in particular are too readily leaving their defensive positions, opposition midfielders and forwards alike may find enough space to go unchallenged and have enough time to produce dangerous shots just outside the penalty area. Allowing such attacks defeats the purpose and compromises the strengths of sitting so deep within your own half. With the right balance, you'll defend opposition attacks and give them something that they'll struggle with on the other end. If you don't have a direct threat that's causing problems, you're simply allowing the opposition to swiftly get the ball back, allowing them to attack you again.

Its not only a question of altering team/player mentality and instructions however. Only doing that is dangerous and may well result in you conceding. Equally if not more important are formational tweaks. You should be watching matches at least on extensive and have the formation of the opposing team on screen at all times. This is to know immediately about formational changes they may employ so that you can negate or even exploit them.

For example:

a. If you play with wingbacks / fullbacks with attacking /automatic duty it would be good between the 80th​ and 85th​ minute to pull them back to be in line with your cbs and have them DEFEND.

b. If the opposition possesses good wingers/employs wing tactics such as 442/you see a wing thread identify it and maybe have your own wingers man mark their wingers (or if their wingbacks are the threat point have them man mark them instead). Of course if you employ Ifs, in order to do that you need to change them to wide players instead so that they occupy the same areas as their target players.

c. If the opposition changes formation to one using an am then pull one cm back, make him dm or anchorman and have him man mark their am.

d. The most common AI tactic to seek goals is to employ a 424. This is very easy to tackle. All you have to do is a. Above plus pack the midfield by either employing a 4141 or a 451 (but not with a flat 5 cos that is not conducive to defending better nor to having an outlet for your own attacks).

e. Make sure whatever you do to leave attacking outlets of your own as if you dont have any whenever your players have the ball they wont have players in attack seeking openings resulting instead in loss of possession. Generally speaking the one time when you unavoidably be REACTIVE to what the opposition does is when you are trying to hold on to a slender lead.

If when watching matches you see the other team attacking in waves and yours defending/being unable to keep possession you are deffo not playing well defensively. This means that you are employing the wrong approach combination towards safety and its an indication that alternative tweaks are necessary.

I employ the above and I very rarely concede in the last 5/10 minutes as a result (mishaps do happen but then THATS FOOTIE!).

Last edited:
Avoiding second season syndrome

Chances are that in the second season your reputation will have risen, so now your team is much more of a threat in the eyes of your opponents.

This may have the following results:

• Teams will often be happier to take a draw against you.
  • Deeper defensive lines; that space behind the lines that you were exploiting will get smaller and smaller.
  • Man-marking of your star players will be much more common.
One cannot be too specific about any recommended tactical changes because you must consider what will work best for the players at your disposal, but I would advise doing the following:

1. Only recruit players you are sure you need.

2. Look for players Creativity, Determination, Off The Ball and Anticipation, as these are the types of player who will help you to stay in games, break down narrow defences and retain possession.

3. Look for pace as well - even where you wouldnt think that its that important (eg starting xi/back up cbs with less than 11/12 pace should be avoided).

4. If you got promoted in the previous season, you have turned from one of the top teams in the previous division to one of the lesser ones in the division you now find yourself in so your tactics should be tweaked to reflect this.

5. Understand your reputation has changed and play according to it.

6.It is reasonable to want to build on your squad after the first season in a better divison (or after a season of success) but being too busy will damage your team more than improve it. Do NOT go on spending sprees. Rather decide what you need and buy the best players you can for it. Not more than 4/5 players. Even if you do buy with restraint you still have to introduce your new players gradually (one per starting lineup for a couple of months post 1st September plus one more as a sub).

7. Coversely dont offload too many players at once. Remember TEAM COHESION is very important in FM13. Aim for a gradual shift towards a more balanced team.

8. Look at the candidates you want to buy and esp their character. Dont bring in disruptive players.

9. If players who previously played tremendously now look lazy or demotivated (watch the games closely – who is misplacing passes they shouldnt, who is getting caught on the ball, who is skying shots from 6 yards?). Remember that motivation issues emanate from the way you approach press conferences, team talks, private chats and media comments as well.

10. Match train (and general train) to combat specific issues.

Last edited:
No "second" season syndrome - a postscript

I am now convinced that the best way to ensure you dont suffer form slumps from season to season is not to bring in two many new players.

In my 4th season with FIORENTINA I only brought in 3 (Maupay and Doria who are now 18 and Rodrigo) and Doria only came on the last day of the Window.

After 7 matches Ive only got victories (also won Super Cup vs Juve and in CL Ive got 2 wins vs BATE and Atletico Madrid and a draw vs Dortmund). I only lost the Euro Supercup vs Marseille 2-0 cos mainly I tested a new tactic in it which I gave up on, and the 3 new players have hardly featured until now. For the first time in pre season I didnt have to train tactics and I only trained very little team cohesion since my squad have been together for at least one season (though I did sell my two best attackers Mario Gomez and Giuseppe Rossi).

The victories have not been emphatic (even against lesser opponents) but they WERE victories and it should be noted that in my 3rd season for the first time I didnt win the league cos I couldnt beat teams such as VERONA ...

Btw - my JOVETIC is currently the third most expensive player in the world (after Messi and Rooney).

More good advice, dude.

In my MLS update, I managed to get into the playoff positions and then crushed my opposition and won the MLS cup. Shortly thereafter I played in the Club World Cup, I demolished some Egyptian team, but then of course I was drawn against Real Madrid. Why couldn't I have gotten the Copa Libertadores winner Internacional? I could have had a chance. Well, in the battle of the Reals (Real Salt Lake vs. Real Madrid) my squad played admirably for the first 35 minutes, but Madrid's class eventually won the day, I lost 4-1. Most of my goals come off set pieces from Teal Bunbury who is really good at jumping, but Raphael Varane is just a beast so poor Bunbury didn't really have a chance. Oh well, my quest to win the CWC with an MLS team continues.

On the plus side, I haven't lost many players. I let a lot of older players run out their contracts the previous season which I think contributed to my slow start, and I haven't really brought too many players in either. It's really, really hard to sign players in MLS. I can't get other MLS teams to deal with me (probably because I dominate), and then you have so little in the way of money to make signings. If you win the MLS cup you get the last pick of the superdraft (the chance to get the best American regens) and on top of that you get the smallest allocation funds (transfer budget).

More good advice, dude.

In my MLS update, I managed to get into the playoff positions and then crushed my opposition and won the MLS cup. Shortly thereafter I played in the Club World Cup, I demolished some Egyptian team, but then of course I was drawn against Real Madrid. Why couldn't I have gotten the Copa Libertadores winner Internacional? I could have had a chance. Well, in the battle of the Reals (Real Salt Lake vs. Real Madrid) my squad played admirably for the first 35 minutes, but Madrid's class eventually won the day, I lost 4-1. Most of my goals come off set pieces from Teal Bunbury who is really good at jumping, but Raphael Varane is just a beast so poor Bunbury didn't really have a chance. Oh well, my quest to win the CWC with an MLS team continues.

On the plus side, I haven't lost many players. I let a lot of older players run out their contracts the previous season which I think contributed to my slow start, and I haven't really brought too many players in either. It's really, really hard to sign players in MLS. I can't get other MLS teams to deal with me (probably because I dominate), and then you have so little in the way of money to make signings. If you win the MLS cup you get the last pick of the superdraft (the chance to get the best American regens) and on top of that you get the smallest allocation funds (transfer budget).

Ta.

The Egyptian team you beat is AL AHLY. They are the top reputation Egypt team on FM13 and one of the top 3 african teams. I have a double save with them and VELEZ. Won the club world with them at first time of asking. But I used Mr Langvatns Rock tactic which i borderline cheating. I also beat Barca there first time of asking with PENAROL using my wingback overload tactics (surprised even myself). Oddly I seem to find it easier to beat the big team there than anywhere else ...

Scout GEDO he's a youngish Egyptian cf who plays at AL AHLY and would do wonders for you at RSL if he deigns to come.

Ta.

The Egyptian team you beat is AL AHLY. They are the top reputation Egypt team on FM13 and one of the top 3 african teams. I have a double save with them and VELEZ. Won the club world with them at first time of asking. But I used Mr Langvatns Rock tactic which i borderline cheating. I also beat Barca there first time of asking with PENAROL using my wingback overload tactics (surprised even myself). Oddly I seem to find it easier to beat the big team there than anywhere else ...

Scout GEDO he's a youngish Egyptian cf who plays at AL AHLY and would do wonders for you at RSL if he deigns to come.

You make me feel like an amateur (I am). I use Raikan's Complete Madness 4-3-3 (well it's really a 4-1-2-2-1), which is the best tactic I've ever played with. I think I have a version saved right before the club world cup, maybe I'll give it another got with your 4-3-1-2 or that Tiki Taka tactic (which i used while in a tough spot due to injuries to get me through the NACL)

use this 442 rooney/berbatov role

You make me feel like an amateur (I am). I use Raikan's Complete Madness 4-3-3 (well it's really a 4-1-2-2-1), which is the best tactic I've ever played with. I think I have a version saved right before the club world cup, maybe I'll give it another got with your 4-3-1-2 or that Tiki Taka tactic (which i used while in a tough spot due to injuries to get me through the NACL)
ITS a WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW tactic

got a 442 here look at game im fulham 5 ccc@s in first half out of 6 shots its a made to measure tactic woul be great rooney at NUMBER10 and RVP left side striker See and tell me what u think

View attachment 474419View attachment 474417

1. That was not the intention. The intention was to give you an alternative. In my new Southampton save, using Mr Langvatn's The Rock in my two first matches I beat ASTON VILLA away 3-0 and MAN UTD at home 4-1(!) so you must understand we are talking about the awesomest tactic out there hence my comments about borderline cheating.
2. The second intention was to big up my OVERLOAD tactics which can be quite effective.

LFC MARSHALL'S UPDATE - COMMENTS

Started my first save using the above update yesterday (with Southampton) as previously I was using a different update I found from FMGREECE thru SI's forums and there are quite a LOT of very good players available (on tranny list or for reasonable money from their teams) such as:

Toby Aldewereild - on tranny list
Facundo Ferreyra - bought him paying 3m upfront 9m instalments (on the game proper you needed at least 20m to get Velez to agree to sell him).
Fernando - on tranny list DM from Porto
Fernando (Portuguese) - on tranny list DM from SHAKTAR who seem to have bought too many players for the AI to handle so they are having a firesale with most of their class players available for reasonable money (even Wellington Nem seems to be available for around 20m according to my scouts).
Yuto Nagatomo - on tranny list for 7m

So LFC Marshall's update is not only great work in and of itself but gives a new lease of life to FM13 as players that hitherto were unbuyable are now within tantalising reach.

For the record Southampton start with 20m tranny budget plus 807k wages for "mid table finish" with many sellable players: I sold (using RAIKAN's tricks: Billy Sharp, Jose Fonte, that Brazilian am they have, hooiveld and a couple of more) and brought in:

Mattia Perrin (GK)
Strandberg/E. Munoz/Bellusci/Burdisso (CBs)
Sanchez Mino/Yuto Nagatomo (WBS)
Fernando/Fernando/Romero (Velez)/DM
Matheus (925k release clause from Botafogo)/Formica ("free" loan) (AMS)
Facundo Ferreyra/Maupay (CFs)

Started early preseason so worked a bit more on team cohesion

So Ive ended up with an awesome squad and am already enjoying it!

Nice transfers, but won't it take long for the team to gel

Nice transfers, but won't it take long for the team to gel

Yes, it will. Im fully aware Im going against rules that I myself have advocated in this thread and elsewhere.

But its one of the last saves Im starting on FM13, I wanted to try all those players (some for the first time) and my plan is to use The Rock tactic till mid October (having trained team cohesion since the start - and continuing to do so till then alternate to ball control) and see what effect that has.

As I said to date Ive beaten VILLA away 3-0, MAN UTD home 4-1 and PNE in the Capital One Cup 1-0 (heavily rotated team) so not doing badly at all...

Looking for a bit of advice.

Started a new game with Stoke as i enjoyed it in the last FM. Have played about half the season and im sitting 9th. After a good start i was 4th in the league at the end of October which including wins against Man Utd and Liverpool and a draw away to Chelsea.

I play my own 4-1-2-1-2 formation and the team is as follows -

GK - Begovic
DL - Boileson
CB - Huth
CB - Shawcross
RB - Wilkinson
CDM - Palacios
CM (DLP) - N'Zonzi
CM (CM) - Adam
CAM - Vihena
ST (CF Support) - Kweuke
ST (Poacher) - Maupay

I know this team needs a lot of strengthening in the summer. Can you suggest what should be priority and any player recommendations you might have.

Also what is a reasonable league finish with this team in my first season?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for a bit of advice.

Started a new game with Stoke as i enjoyed it in the last FM. Have played about half the season and im sitting 9th. After a good start i was 4th in the league at the end of October which including wins against Man Utd and Liverpool and a draw away to Chelsea.

I play my own 4-1-2-1-2 formation and the team is as follows -

GK - Begovic
DL - Boileson
CB - Huth
CB - Shawcross
RB - Wilkinson
CDM - Palacios
CM (DLP) - N'Zonzi
CM (CM) - Adam
CAM - Vihena
ST (CF Support) - Kweuke
ST (Poacher) - Maupay

I know this team needs a lot of strengthening in the summer. Can you suggest what should be priority and any player recommendations you might have.

Also what is a reasonable league finish with this team in my first season?

Thanks in advance.

1. Stoke always seem to do quite well under AI management with a squad worse than yours.
2. I would say that a reasonable league finish would be EURO qualification.
3. Your squad seem to me to be too overtly reliant on youth. Maupay and vilhena are great but their age doesn't breed consistency.
4. I'm also not that keen on Huth esp for his pace.
5. Dunno anything about wilkinson.
6. If you re using LFC Marshall's update I'd look to buy facundo Ferreyra. Yes he s young but he s banging them in for me at the saints. Alternatively the slightly cheaper Abel Hernandez. Or destro or the amazing VolansVolans
7. In defense look to bring bellusci/burdisso and at rb cuadrado from florentina or Chris solly

1. That was not the intention. The intention was to give you an alternative. In my new Southampton save, using Mr Langvatn's The Rock in my two first matches I beat ASTON VILLA away 3-0 and MAN UTD at home 4-1(!) so you must understand we are talking about the awesomest tactic out there hence my comments about borderline cheating.
2. The second intention was to big up my OVERLOAD tactics which can be quite effective.

No worries, man, I wasn't offended. I went back and managed to draw Internacional and won 2-0, but for the life of me I can't beat Real Madrid. My best results have been losing 0-1 with your 4-1-2-1-2 overload tactic and a 0-1 loss in extra time using the Rock Tripletweaked tactic.