MANUMAD's box of sweets

• Thread starter Thread starter MANUMAD
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 288
  • Views Views 62K
Apparently Rafael also has Portuguese nationality.

I'm sticking to a best of Iberian peninsula + South America transfer policy. Which has led me to skip out on crazy good deals for Ter Stegen (he was transfer listed after 1st season for about 10m IRC, amazingly he's still at Gladbach though),Mkitaryan (who was transfer listed for 9.5m or something cheap IRC) and David Alaba for 25m.

Call me crazy.

Apparently Rafael also has Portuguese nationality.

I'm sticking to a best of Iberian peninsula + South America transfer policy. Which has led me to skip out on crazy good deals for Ter Stegen (he was transfer listed after 1st season for about 10m IRC, amazingly he's still at Gladbach though),Mkitaryan (who was transfer listed for 9.5m or something cheap IRC) and David Alaba for 25m.

Call me crazy.

Then go for Rafael - on top of everything if you buy him he' ll only get better and his age means you ll have him for ages ...

Good player who ll go anywhere and score goals (and is youngish): GEDO (AL- AHLY). Also Ahmed Fathi is very good on wb/fb duties.

What uncle MAD has learned from VELEZ

1. They have some of the best young players on FM13. But unless you look for them they are very easy to miss as they all languish in the 3rd team which has loads and loads of players.

2. This youngsters may be valued really low and have stats compatible with their age (tho they do have at least 4* potential) but if given matches they always perform much better than expected from the start. Most obvious example is a lb/lwb who goes by the name of BITTOLO.

3. FACUNDO FERREYRA is a beast. He hardly ever tires let alone gets injured and scores loads even when played as a lone forward. He also pulls defenders with him opening space for others and provides assists. He's now at SHAKTAR in the summer updates so reason enuff to start a SHAKTAR save imho.

4. Their older players are also quite good/effective.

5. Fernando Gago is so overrated on FM13. As a DLP/defend he's one of the best Ive seen.

Last edited:
Velez always seems to have good regens, too.

Yeah I went ahead and bought GK Rafael. When I finally got Sampdoria to enter negotiations with me for Romero they quoted 43.5m Euros. No thanks I said. Rafael got agitated with his club and got transfer listed. I couldn't get them down any further than 24.5m though. In other additions to my squad I picked up Isco, Amat and Marquinhos.

Velez always seems to have good regens, too.

Yeah I went ahead and bought GK Rafael. When I finally got Sampdoria to enter negotiations with me for Romero they quoted 43.5m Euros. No thanks I said. Rafael got agitated with his club and got transfer listed. I couldn't get them down any further than 24.5m though. In other additions to my squad I picked up Isco, Amat and Marquinhos.

All extremely good purchases!

Financial Stability

1. Play at as high a level as football as is possible. Its all good "developing" teams etc but, the truth is, financially, if playing in the lower leagues, you need to get promoted sharpish. The money you make in doing so is worth it even if you drop back down the next season. Though I that in FM13 its well neigh impossible to actually drop back down once promoted (game is too forgiving in this respect.

2.The higher up your respective country’s league system you go, the more money you will make as: prize money, gate receipts, higher valued players etc.

3. DO NOT buy what you cannot afford. Look at your balance sheets and esp wjether your club has (large) debts to repay. Resist the temptation to go on a spending frenzy UNLESS you are sure in your ability to win at least one of the cups (even with a low team). You can develop a club, build a squad slowly and prudently AND win things. You "just" need to get everything else right: tactics, training, man management etc. Instalments are helpful but dont overdo it. Use them only sparingly and to bring in players who will help accelerate your growth (who will not necessarily be young). However, one way to decrease the initial transfer fee of a player is to use the Favoured Personnel mechanism.

4. If in lower leagues buy more older players than you otherwise would. Players such as Enio/Bare (if they come) would be far more helpful to Spanish Segunda teams than, say CARLOS FIERRO, in that they cost less and deliver stuff quicker.

5. To get players cheaper try to make friends. Praise other managers as often as you can as, this way they may well accept a lower transfer fee for one of their players.

6. Sell players at the right time. Look at your squad and divide it into: players you will never sell cos they are young, players you dont mind not making any money out of (ie oldies who are there to help you win stuff -eg Cristian Danalache at Blackburn, first season, tutor your players, have much better stats than your youths), and players who have good value but who you are willing to make some money from cos their value will soon start to drop/keep getting injured/dont fit in your formation etc). Also, remember that older players with the right stats (eg high determination) can be used to develop youngsters by tutoring.

7. If a player isn’t playing first team football, he’s likely to depreciate in value, so you should be looking to offload him.

8. Dont get emotionally attached to players. If you receive big offers then sell. But ONLY if you have first identified a BETTER player who would cost LESS than what you will receive by selling. Once you accept a bid make a bid of your own for the said player and, only when you are sure you will pay less for him than the money you receive allow the sale to proceed.

9. Negotiate to your advantage. Try to offer lower wages with higher appearance fees, esp for the more injury-prone players in the squad, as well as the backup and rotational players. Before you start negotiating, for new contracts for your own players/new players, have a look at the agent's stats to see how patient he is and use it to your advantage.

10. When buying a player refer to the scout report and particularly at the wage range suggestion. Keep to it. Do NOT offer match highest earner clauses and try to avoid percentage increases (of more than 15%).

11. Use the principles in 9 and 10 above to construct incentive-based contracts. The easiest way to get a player to accept lower wages especially one you dont plan to sell (any time soon) is to offer him a high sell on (profit) percentage plus perhaps a high loyalty fee.

12.If at a low league team, organise home friendlies against the big teams. Whilst these are often expensive to organise, the revenue generated will more than make up for it, provided you have a big enough stadium. Also/alternatively organise away friendlies to bigger teams (chose which by the fee offered). This is a handy way to increase revenue whatever level your team is at. Do it IN season as well and either use youth/reserve teams if you must or blood in players.

Last edited:
Financial Stability Part 2

1. If you are a lower league club or a club that is poor who is in one of the 2/3*** leagues try to find parent clubs. Choose wisely (look at the reserve/youth teams to see if there are nice players to loan) AND remember the parent club will also pay you an annual fee.

2. With lower league teams there's no need to go overboard with the number of scouts. Have 3/4 only and utilise wisely. Use the search engine extensively to find players.

3. Forget about youth coaches. Your coaching allocation will be low with lower league teams so bring in vanilla coaches only. Also, no need to make people head scouts and head physios as they command bigger salaries. Dont skim on fitness/physiotherapy though especially if you have a small squad cos you dont need to be having too many injuries. No need to have more than one coach for each area and sometimes even one for two at first.

4. Get players in on frees with the intention to sell them asap.

5. From the staff responsibilities page go to personal assistant and have the offer player for 200% of his value chosen. On the first day of each transfer window offer the players you want to sell with this in use and you will surprise how many players you will sell for double/near it of their value. Search this forum for RAIKAN's guide of how to sell players - it really DOES help.

6. Win stuff. Especially cup matches or even cups. ASAP. This will mean you will be participating in Europe which means more money.

7. Dont feel you need to spend all the transfer budget. Remember that in FM13 team cohesion is paramount and that bringing in more than 3/4 players at a time will mean team will take much longer to gel and the results will suffer. Also, small squads perform better in FM13. Balance is the key based on how many trophies you ll be competing for. If you have transfer budget left then put it all on wages to get interest on it.

Last edited:
Good advice, will help me as I will start a Barnet save after making my tactic.

The Best Summer Update around imho

Its at FM Greece and contains a LOT of new stuff not just players, making your saves extremely realistic - follow this link:

fmgreece.gr •

All good advice, though I've never played in the lower leagues before. Been tempted, but never got around to it.

All good advice, though I've never played in the lower leagues before. Been tempted, but never got around to it.

If you re talking about the comments on finances, they are not only for lower league teams ...

Avoid emotional breakdowns from crush dumps, freezes, parsing errorsetc

Time and again I see people doing stories, long saves etc and then being heart broken cos their save is corrupted etc. Truth is that unless you ve got loads of RAM (and god knows maybe even if you do) you WILL suffer from any of these. So here is some advice on how to avoid it:

1. Parsing errors - these are curable. Google it and you ll find the solution. It involves deleting the contents of a file once in a while. Easy peasy.

2. Game freezes, crashes:

a) If game refuses to move past a date try holidaying. Usually does the trick.

b) Generally do the following:

i. Dont load up useless leagues (eg no China if you dont intend to manage there). Also note that you still get the main players if you load a league but "view only".
ii. From preferences choose a weekly 3 file rolling save. This way if one of the files corrupt you have another one starting from a few days before.
iii. This wont be popular but it helps A LOT: from preferences - match untick show stadium and show scenery.
iv. DO NOT under any circumstances use the PC to do other stuff such as browse the internet while waiting for game holidays to pass.
v. If you play and then leave the game for longer than about half an hour dont "pick up where you started from" when you return. Rather quite game (not to start screen but fully) and reload.

These will all save you a lot of tears. I know it cos they saved me the same!!!!

If you re talking about the comments on finances, they are not only for lower league teams ...

Of course, sorry. A couple of the pointers mentioned "if managing lower leagues" so managing in lower leagues got on my brain.

On the subject of picking up free transfers, I pre-signed Ter Stegen on a free transfer. I can't believe nobody else went in for him. Next season that will leave me with Rafael, Asenjo and Ter Stegen on my Atletico Madrid save. I'm fairly surprised Asenjo hasn't complained about his lack of playing time this season the way my 3rd choice keeper Joel did (who I sent on loan). So it may be plausible to keep all three, but that just seems silly. As I've mentioned before my transfer policy has been Spaniards and South Americans, but maybe I'll chuck that out the window not sure yet. I'm sitting 4 pts ahead of Real Madrid in La Liga and having been knocked out of the Copa del Rey and Champions League already while Real is still competing on four fronts, I think I can take La Liga.

Sorry, rambling a bit, but do you think I should sell Rafael or sell Ter Stegen for a bigger profit? It's kind of a shady thing to do to sign a player and then immediately sell him after he joins the club. Maybe send him on loan for a year?

On the subject of picking up free transfers, I pre-signed Ter Stegen on a free transfer. I can't believe nobody else went in for him. Next season that will leave me with Rafael, Asenjo and Ter Stegen on my Atletico Madrid save. I'm fairly surprised Asenjo hasn't complained about his lack of playing time this season the way my 3rd choice keeper Joel did (who I sent on loan). So it may be plausible to keep all three, but that just seems silly. As I've mentioned before my transfer policy has been Spaniards and South Americans, but maybe I'll chuck that out the window not sure yet. I'm sitting 4 pts ahead of Real Madrid in La Liga and having been knocked out of the Copa del Rey and Champions League already while Real is still competing on four fronts, I think I can take La Liga.

Sorry, rambling a bit, but do you think I should sell Rafael or sell Ter Stegen for a bigger profit? It's kind of a shady thing to do to sign a player and then immediately sell him after he joins the club. Maybe send him on loan for a year?

1. Winning the league in Spain will be great.

2. I tried a couple of times to have more than 2 main team gks but it wasnt tenable. Id sell Asenjo for double his price (doable believe me), make money and bring in maybe 2 at most 3 top players next season. Your squad after so long together will walk the league and cups if only two huge players come - eg DEDE at cb and a WELLINGTON NEM type as there will be NO TEAM COHESION isssues.

3. Sometimes I think you re the only person who reads my ramblings!

1. Winning the league in Spain will be great.

2. I tried a couple of times to have more than 2 main team gks but it wasnt tenable. Id sell Asenjo for double his price (doable believe me), make money and bring in maybe 2 at most 3 top players next season. Your squad after so long together will walk the league and cups if only two huge players come - eg DEDE at cb and a WELLINGTON NEM type as there will be NO TEAM COHESION isssues.

3. Sometimes I think you re the only person who reads my ramblings!

I really like that this thread is one big thread of ramblings of advice, player recommendations, experiences playing in different leagues and what not. Also, that you don't care that I come on here and ramble and hijack the conversation from whatever you're talking about.

1. Yes, winning La Liga is always awesome. Maybe next season my target will be Europe. I've done very poorly in Europe.

2. I don't think I'll get much money for Asenjo, but yeah rotating between Rafael and Ter Stegen would be better options. But Asenjo has got the home grown player status which is always handy to have around. My squad is already pretty stacked though.

GK: Rafael, Asenjo
LB: Felipe, Insua
CB: Diego Godin, Marquinhos
CB: Jordi Amat, Miranda
RB: Junafran, Manquillo (an Atletico Madrid youngster, been playing him very regularly since season 1)
DMC: Camacho (if you ever play as Atletico Madrid, Camacho is a must buy as there's a 5m buy back clause in his contract), Mario Suarez
MC: Koke, Gabi
MC: Isco, Oliver (another good Altetico Madrid youngster, developing rather nicely)
AML: Bernard, Gaitan
AMR: Wellington Nem, Kiko Femenia (not getting much playing time, wants out)
ST: Falcao, Sow (on loan)

I've also got Carlos Fierro on loan at Getafe and he should have Spanish nationality by summer and I plan on him being my backup striker next season. I also have two 17-year-old wingers from my youth academy who are regens and have like 4.5/5 star potential. They're on loan in Liga Adelante, one is getting lots of games, the other not so much. Maybe they'll be my winger backups next season? I definitely plan on upgrading my LB. Felipe is good, but Insua has been dreadful this season whenever I call upon him.

I really like that this thread is one big thread of ramblings of advice, player recommendations, experiences playing in different leagues and what not. Also, that you don't care that I come on here and ramble and hijack the conversation from whatever you're talking about.

If you read the OP thats the whole point of the thread mate.

GK: Rafael, Asenjo
LB: Felipe, Insua
CB: Diego Godin, Marquinhos
CB: Jordi Amat, Miranda
RB: Junafran, Manquillo (an Atletico Madrid youngster, been playing him very regularly since season 1)
DMC: Camacho (if you ever play as Atletico Madrid, Camacho is a must buy as there's a 5m buy back clause in his contract), Mario Suarez
MC: Koke, Gabi
MC: Isco, Oliver (another good Altetico Madrid youngster, developing rather nicely)
AML: Bernard, Gaitan
AMR: Wellington Nem, Kiko Femenia (not getting much playing time, wants out)
ST: Falcao, Sow (on loan)

Thats a pretty awesome squad.

1. You should use SOW more. You dont really need more firepower than him FALCS and FIERRO. Bernard and WNEM can play up front too.
2. Dont let Femenia go. Play him (maybe retrain him as rb/wb if he'll get more matches?).
3. How's Juanfran?
4. I have INSUA for Velez. Not that impressed either tho he's not bad.
5. Like I said to succeed you need to show restraint in the transfer market -bring in two awesome players (a lb and cb or dm?), use everybody you have already there and chances are you ll see the results in EUROPE as well as in the cups. No team cohesion/tactics issue - start season early and train better and more varied (some team cohesion but not as much as usual etc).
6. Dont rotate in cup matches like most people do ie having most of your back up players play but mix and match as I say elsewhere in this thread.

Whereabouts you from btw mate?

Last edited:
1. Sow is doing alright. I just brought him in on loan in January 2015 as Diego Costa wanted a transfer. I didn't want to lose Costa, but also don't like forcing players to stay. I don't plan on bringing in any new strikers, like you said Falcao, Fierro + backups of Nem and Bernard should do me fine.
2. Yeah, he wanted a loan but couldn't find any takers. I should give him more game time, but Nem is so good and rarely gets tired.
3. Juanfran is great! He does a good job at AMR and RB, also he's a total pro, doesn't complain too much about game time.
4. Yeah Insua has done OK for me in previous seasons, this season has just been really bad.
5. Yeah I'm not planning too many squad changes in the summer, just wasn't sure what to do about the GK situation. But selling Miranda out for a better CB isn't too bad. But Amat has been really good for me, too.

I'm in Austin, Texas. You?

Back