Sent my scouts to Norway/Scandinavia to find young prospects.

I should stress that the following are not players I have used so I go by Profile page:

Bard Finne
Odegaard (Molde)
Torgeir Borren
Veton Berisha
S. Rossbach.

They dont look too expensive either ...

PPMs question

If I have utility players such as AM/L/ST and I use three different formations/want to have the ability of using them both at AM and at ST (cos for example I dont have money to have a big squad) WHAT PPMs do i teach? How do I decide what PPMs to teach?

What roles do you play them in AML and ST? It also depends on their individual stats as you wouldn't want them to try doing things they aren't capable of.
Perhaps a safe bet would be plays one-twos, knocks ball past opponent, shoots from distance, shoots with power, tries killer balls often. Runs with ball through centre of the park would be a good pick if you use inside forwards on the wing, or runs with ball often otherwise.

The AM was given as an example. The question shoulda been how do you ppm utility players?

It would depend on what positions and what roles you intend to play any given utility players but applying common sense should be enough whatever the variables.

If you re playing with a top(ish) team and you are in need of a reasonably priced, versatile cf who will score lots - IAGO ASPAS! Has a 8.75 release clause.

I recently started a save with Shaktar cos of the fact that they are toploaded with young talent and that they have a lot of money and I wanted to buy CONCA, THIAGO NEVES and MONTILLO (Cruzeiro) to use together from the start. I did and ended up with a frighteningly talented squad especially from mf upwards. I have the expected team cohesion problems (esp cos of the many nationalities and languages). I got drawn with Juventus, Chelsea and Malaga in the CL and in my first match I faced Juventus away who line up in a 352 formation. I tried to exploit the wing backs/lack of fbs/three cbs by changing my tactics to try to exploit the space behind them (wbs) but failed losing 1-0. Malaga beat Chelsea 3-1 in the other match which makes it even more difficult for me now btw.

I started preparing early for the Juventus match by having my players train in the new tactics I devised but my failure to win reminded me of the issue about wing backs which I previously raised in this thread. So I asked through a pm for help/ideas from the great RAIKAN and this is what he had to say (tweaked by yours truly):

-Things to consider when lining up against teams that use wingbacks:
1) How good are the wbs?
2) Are they more attacking or more defensive (I know wingbacks are meant to be attacking however, I have seen teams like Burnley/West Brom all adopt a 352 type of formation mid game and hence will either use the players they have or make a few changes and teams like that do not normally have very good attacking ones)

(a) If they are quick and agile, good at attacking and are pushing far up the pitch in order to get crosses into the box (Lahm/Evra/Rafael - OR LIKE JUVE IN MY CONUNDRUM), I set my attacking wingers to man mark them (no tight marking) so they end up tracking back and assisting your FB's and end up having a 2v1 situation where you will most likely win back possession.. you need to set your wingers closing down to whole pitch as this also helps when you are chasing the ball down in their half, if the defenders have poor composure and decisions will just end up hoofing the ball back to you!

THIS IS V CLEVER: Also, set your ST to MAN mark so that he puts pressure on the defender in possession and occasionally ends up doing the same thing.

(b) If they are slow and good at defending then I would not stress to much about it as they would most likely be doing it to counter your wingers.. if this is the case, change passing to down both flanks and play a quick tempo direct passing game and set the wingers to run with ball often and cross from byline as to ensure they attempt to take on the WB and hopefully either beating them or getting a free kick which could result in yellow/red cards! I do this often and it works

(c) If they play with WB's who are good like Lahm/Liechtensteiner and play with no wingers (as they do most of the time) (POSSIBLE JUVE SET UP) they play through the middle, I would focus my passing as above (direct/quick tempo etc) but ask the wingers to then cut inside hopefully dragging the WB's in field and having your FB settings to run and cross the ball often (I THINK HE MEANS OVERLAP) as sort of your own wingbacks as this creates a lot of free open space on the flanks for the cross! but you do need good attacking FB's/WB's yourself to take advantage of this as well as having a very good BWM even a DM (OR AN ANCHOR MAN?) to assist on defence if they counter you as they will most likely come through the middle..

This goes beyond what I asked for but it is helpful:

if none of the above works and their wingbacks are really causing you problems, set your wingers to play in the MR/ML roles and have them doing more defensive work than attacking and try and hit them on the counter when they commit too many forward, especially the wing backs: settings for this include:
  • counter box ticked
  • stand off
  • zonal marking
  • normal defensive line (I THOUGHT DEEP WOULD SUIT BETTER THIS SET UP ...)
  • direct passing
  • quick temp
  • focus passing down both flanks
  • using shouts: exploit flanks/pass into space/run at defence/clear ball to flanks
this will allow them to commit players forward, you sit back, soak up the pressure and when you win the ball back, hit it forward and let your quickest players get into the space the WB's have left, hoping to draw out a CB or two which makes space in the centre which leaves your striker unmarked..

A 541 formation should work as in real life but it doesnt ...

Brilliant Players that nobody buys

Here is a short list of players that nobody seems to buy for various reasons including the stupid one (sorry) of always buying only youngsters. These players are so good they will be instrumental for winning stuff:

WALTER MONTILLO (Cruzeiro)- He plays centre (attacking) MF/as a DLF or as a winger. He is 28 has at least 4 brilliant seasons in him and is very expensive.
THIAGO NEVES (Palmeiras)- One of the best 2/3 wingers in FM 2013. 26 yo I think and also very expensive.
DARIO CONCA - Very similar to Montillo. Brilliant playmaker (as is Montillo). Expensive and high wages.
ANDRES D' ALESSANDRO - 31 yo. Another brilliant "hidden" gem of a winger. Will make stuff happen. Not too expensive and has 2/3 brill seasons in him.
IGNACIO SCOCCO - This guy is usually free/dirt cheap second season. Inexcusable not to acquire him really. Plays everywhere in MF and is a more than decent DLF.

LAZIO

Having greatly enjoyed a save with BOLOGNA I recently started a LAZIO save.

Using passion4fm's barcelona tiki taka tactics as well as my 12421 Overload tactics I managed to win the SERIE A (finished with same points as Juve but beat them in both matches so ...) as well as the Cup and EURO.

Now in my second season (just starting) and Ive already lost the Italian Super Cup vs NAPOLI (1-1 then pens) as well as my first match (to newly promoted JUVE STABIA!!!) and my squad is as follows:

GK: Romero (activated his 13.5m release clause in July 2013). Federico Marchetti (this guy is awesome. Very difficult to beat plus v nice habit of saving pens)

LB/LWB: Laurens De Bock (fine youngster going at bargain price. Bought in Jan 2013 for 3m), Senad Lulic (a bit of a legend. Also excellent at LIF/LW/DLP/ALP and DM. Now valued 14.5m so must be extremely expensive to buy. Well worth it. Bruno Martins Indi (also cb). Free 2013. 20yo and a bit of a wonderkid. Stephan Radu (also cb). Romanian. Amazing. Now valued 10.75m so another one who wud be very expensive to buy. Again well worth it tho.

LAZIO 2

The point of the Lazio sub-threads was to say how well the tactics used have been working as well as to give some ideas as to their squad but all **** has broken loose.

Having lost the National Super Cup as memtioned above I also lost the European (1-0 to FCP) but the real disaster has been the Serie A.

I lost the first 3 matches (two of which were to markedly weaker opponents) and seemed to really struggled scoring despite the fact that I had an extended preseason where I could comfortably train team cohesion and tactics.

Things got markedly better especially in the CL where I beat SLB 5-2 at home and drew 1-1 away to Man ****** but for that I had to go to "first principles" as it were: I didnt change tactics but I use mostly "last season's" players. I havent bought too many new ones any way but I am now certain introducing more than one per match is a real recepe for disaster (AND THIS BECOMES THE MORAL OF THIS POST). I also had team meeting(s) plus talks with players after matches etc but Im pretty sure its the fact that there were no new players en masse disturbing the understanding of last season's players.

One exception to the no more than one new player per starting 11 may be if the new player is of the same nationality as most of your established players as I havent seen drastic worsening of performances when I used both DESTRO and BERTOLACCI.

I am currently 10th having played 6/7 matches 10 points from Palermo at the top and 8 from Juve ... And the board is already expressing concern that having promised them a title challenge Im "on the way to a mid table position".

Last edited:
Lazio 3

1) The squad

GK: F. Marchetti/Romero (as per the comments in post Lazio 1 - rotated per match)

LB/WBL: As one of my tactics uses wbs and two use fbs I need enuf people adept at both. S. Radu (see above) was there from the start, B. Martins Indi (seems to be free every time in the second season and thats how I got him. Young, can play also at cb and my assman likes him quite a bit justifiably), Laurens De Bock (see above), Senad Lulic (see above). I got Matias Campos Toro (co-ownership) from Udine first summer but he quickly proceeded to get injured for 4 months and as a result currently finds it difficult to get games. Normally he comes highly recommended but this save he'll be sold by the end of season.

RB/WBR: Modibo Diakite (RB/CB). Was there from the start. Great to start with turned awesome. Abdullay Konko (ditto) (WBR). Alvaro Gonzalez (WBR). Younger than the other two and takes a bit longer to develop but very recommended.

CB: Sviatchenko (cost next to nothing. Is a rock). Strandberg (words fail me. Also dm/bwm). Douglas (Twente- free second season. Never makes mistakes), G. Belluschi (bought end of 1st season. A rock. Young. Italian. Keeps getting better. First time I use him. Wont be last. Also rb)

MF: Hernanes (M -CLR/DM/AM -CLR) is the star of the squad. Breathtaking. Use him mainly as a AP/DLP. A. Ekdal. Bought first Jan window. Extremely good. Adept at dm/AP/DLP. C. Ledesma (DMC/MC) does a lot of work. Emmanuel Badu (second Jan purchase from Udine. Great). Bertolacci (cost me 650k and worth at least 10 times as much in performances. Candreva (co-owned from the start. M/AM (L/C). Was there from start. Very useful. Ill buy him eventually). Matheus M/AM L/C. 1.8 rel clause. Botafogo I think. I bought him and used him extensively from the start. I saw accelerated development. Assman prefers him to Hernanes at AP/DLC!

AM/ST: Scocco. One of my favourite players. Bought Jan second season for 1.4m. Was available for free in 6 months but couldnt wait (sold Sidney Sam for 5 mil having got him for free. He was not bad but kept getting injured so I got fed up - HAS ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS WITH HIM?!). Zarate. Slightly overrated. Good thing about him he never complains despite being heavily rotated. Less than the sum of his great stats somehow but still one of the top players in the starting squad. Used mainly as an IF/T/AM. Kadlec (bought first january. Excelent as IF. V Good as DLF). Sassa. First player I bought. V young. Was instrumental in winning the lot first season. Iago Aspas (8.7m rel clause). This guy is a god. Full stop. Plays at CF/IF/DLF/T). Mattia Destro (or rather, Goal Machine). Volland (most recent addition only 8m from transfer list).

2) Stuff I learned: keep squad as small as possible. Have a squad building plan from the start and stick to it. Watch matches and react to them. Barcelona TIKI TAKA by passion4fm is a great tactic but you also have to use your head as a result of scouting and what happens in game as well as opponent reputation, current position, starting lineup etc. BIGGEST LESSON AS MENTIONED ABOVE: ONLY EVER INTRODUCE ONE PLAYER PER STARTING XI HOWEVER GOOD HE MAY BE OR ELSE THE TACTICS WILL BE ****** HOWEVER GOOD THEY MAY BE.

3) Related to 2) above once I "relearned" the above principles I started moving up the table and Im currently second 4 points off the top (had the odd horrorshow like being destroyed 3-0 to Parma).

Last edited:
Lazio 4

Second season finished:

1) Won the Serie A by 2 points in the very last match of season (Juve 2nd).
2) Lost the Cup Final to Juve 1-0 despite being the far better team playing a counter version of passion4fm's Barcelona Tiki Taka tactics
3) Beat Bayern in the CL final 4-1 with the same tactics

Was given 45 mil to spend. Managed to sell Zarate for 10m plus a couple of more players so i had a lot to spend so i bought:

Falcao off the tranny list.
Isco (caused him to ask for transfer).
De Sciglio (10m with instalments)
Vrsaljko

Tried to keep my squad as small as possible cos I have learned beyond any doubt in this very save that this is instrumental to morale and then to success.

Lost both super cups on penalties having been much the better team but for the first time in this save havent lost any of my three first league matches.

Overall Lazio has been GREAT - VERY RECOMMENDED.

LAZIO SAVE FUBAR(ED)

Ive lost my LAZIO save. Last nite playing in the wee small hours I tried to holiday till the next match 15 days on but I dunno what happened and game holidayed for two months. I had the use same selection and use same tactics boxes ticked and (esp the former) meant that I found myself in December losing most league matches, being dumped out of the CL and losing my first match in the Club World Champos (to Sundowns!!!). The board was upset as I was 12th, half the team was unhappy/requested transfer for not playing for two months plus ...

I want to cry as it was the first time in my FM career that I was considering playing on after 3/4 seasons ...

But ill leave you with the following:

a) An amazing front 3 triumvirate in a 451/433 with 1 FW and two IFs is: Sassa at CF (I used a T as per passion4fm's tactic but equally good as poacher/cf) and Aspas IF right Kadlec IF left. Not too expensive to assemble either (Sassa 4.4 rel clause so you can use all instalments, Aspas 8.75 rel clause and Kadlec 8.5m).

b) And you could have the following 3 behind them: Matheus AP/Strandberg DM/Hernanes DLP.

c) And at the back: Radu (rbl)/Douglas and Bellusci (cb)/Modibo Diakite (rb)

d) New gk star: Marchetti.

Joe F**kin Kinnear is Back!

I know this has got nothing with FM13 but I cudnt resist!

Joe Kinnear might be unwell. We might be dreadful people for laughing at him. But, as Newcastle have apparently given him a job that would seem to indicate all/most of his mental faculties are there, and thus it's OK to mock him.

Kinnear spoke to SHOUTsport on Monday evening. You'll almost certainly be aware of this, and you may have listened to the whole thing, shifting uncomfortably in your seat while doing so.

If not, there are a few bits we'd like to highlight. The italics are Kinnear's comments, the following text is what we'd like to call 'reality'.

"Derek Llambezee was the director of football. Derek has resigned now."

He's talking about Derek Llambias, who according to The Daily Telegraph, is Newcastle's managing director and has never been director of football.

"Where have these people been - have they been on another planet? I have played in five cup finals, I have won the lot. I had over 400 games for Tottenham Hotspur, been manager of the year three times. I have travelled all over the world as a manager."

Kinnear was LMA manager of the year once, in 1994. He has received several manager of the month awards, and perhaps he has his own personal manager of the year award that he dishes out every year. In which case, it's very modest to only have given it to himself three times. Oh, and by 'travelled all over the world as a manager', he means 'I managed India in 1984 and Nepal in 1987.'

"That's the people up there or the people round that area that I have upset and they have a grudge so I expect it. It's water off a duck's ****."

Actually, when the water has travelled off the duck's back, it probably will reach the ****, so we'll give him that one.

"I bought Dean Holdsworth for 50 grand - sold him for £3m. I sold John Scales for £3m - he was a free transfer. I sold Robbie Earle for x, y, z."

Holdsworth was bought for £650,000. Scales cost £70,000. Robbie Earle retired at Wimbledon a year after Kinnear left.

"I think they've got some magnificent midfield players: Tiote. Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab..."

No comment.

"I mean this is a side I haven't had privilege to be with - a lot of players still there that were there when I was still there - I brought Krul to the club and I think he's a terrific goalkeeper."

Tim Krul was recruited from ADO Den Haag in 2006. Kinnear arrived at Newcastle in 2008.

"A lot of players still there that were there when I was still there...Perch is still there."

Perch was bought in the summer of 2010, some 18 months after Kinnear left the first time.

"Shola Amamobi is getting better and better, he's a young kid. Galteirez, and of course a lot of other players."

Getting the names of your own players right probably isn't that important. Oh, and Shola Ameobi is 31. He probably means his younger brother, Sammy.

"I don't know what angle they've got. If they want to sit down and argue with me, some of them are talking out their backsides, a load of tosh and I'm not accepting it. It's as simple as that. I've certainly got more intelligence than them, that's for sure."

This was in response to the question: 'Is there anything you would like to say to the Newcastle fans who perhaps don't don't back this decision?'

It's probably all going to be fine.

I know this has got nothing with FM13 but I cudnt resist!

Joe Kinnear might be unwell. We might be dreadful people for laughing at him. But, as Newcastle have apparently given him a job that would seem to indicate all/most of his mental faculties are there, and thus it's OK to mock him.

Kinnear spoke to SHOUTsport on Monday evening. You'll almost certainly be aware of this, and you may have listened to the whole thing, shifting uncomfortably in your seat while doing so.

If not, there are a few bits we'd like to highlight. The italics are Kinnear's comments, the following text is what we'd like to call 'reality'.

"Derek Llambezee was the director of football. Derek has resigned now."

He's talking about Derek Llambias, who according to The Daily Telegraph, is Newcastle's managing director and has never been director of football.

"Where have these people been - have they been on another planet? I have played in five cup finals, I have won the lot. I had over 400 games for Tottenham Hotspur, been manager of the year three times. I have travelled all over the world as a manager."

Kinnear was LMA manager of the year once, in 1994. He has received several manager of the month awards, and perhaps he has his own personal manager of the year award that he dishes out every year. In which case, it's very modest to only have given it to himself three times. Oh, and by 'travelled all over the world as a manager', he means 'I managed India in 1984 and Nepal in 1987.'

"That's the people up there or the people round that area that I have upset and they have a grudge so I expect it. It's water off a duck's ****."

Actually, when the water has travelled off the duck's back, it probably will reach the ****, so we'll give him that one.

"I bought Dean Holdsworth for 50 grand - sold him for £3m. I sold John Scales for £3m - he was a free transfer. I sold Robbie Earle for x, y, z."

Holdsworth was bought for £650,000. Scales cost £70,000. Robbie Earle retired at Wimbledon a year after Kinnear left.

"I think they've got some magnificent midfield players: Tiote. Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab..."

No comment.

"I mean this is a side I haven't had privilege to be with - a lot of players still there that were there when I was still there - I brought Krul to the club and I think he's a terrific goalkeeper."

Tim Krul was recruited from ADO Den Haag in 2006. Kinnear arrived at Newcastle in 2008.

"A lot of players still there that were there when I was still there...Perch is still there."

Perch was bought in the summer of 2010, some 18 months after Kinnear left the first time.

"Shola Amamobi is getting better and better, he's a young kid. Galteirez, and of course a lot of other players."

Getting the names of your own players right probably isn't that important. Oh, and Shola Ameobi is 31. He probably means his younger brother, Sammy.

"I don't know what angle they've got. If they want to sit down and argue with me, some of them are talking out their backsides, a load of tosh and I'm not accepting it. It's as simple as that. I've certainly got more intelligence than them, that's for sure."

This was in response to the question: 'Is there anything you would like to say to the Newcastle fans who perhaps don't don't back this decision?'

It's probably all going to be fine.

hahaha that is brilliant sat here chuckling to myself!

Going Strikerless

I have recently been reading various blogs on FM(13) and as a result I ve been planning to attempt a winning tactic without strikers. When I chanced on a blog called WHEN THE SEAGULLS FOLLOW THE TRAWLER, I saw the light.

My plan is to incorporate the two tactics I already use (OVERLOAD wingback tactic with a formation I call 12312 but which keeps evolving/changing and passion4fm's barcelona possession) together with the ideas in the abovementioned blog (especially those of really packing the mf with more than 5 players in order to control the match) in order to make a functioning strikerless tactics.

Ive tested my half formed ideas with my Standard squad (which is in mid second season currently and has not been assembled with these ideas in mind) and I got very positive results.

Im thinking of starting a Spurs/Real Sociedad/RB Salzburg save where I sell all pure attackers in order to implement my ideas.

So,

1) Has anybody gone strikerless yet? Comments?
2) Im afraid to use flat back 3 with wingbacks/def wingers so my inclination is to use 2 cbs and somebody behind them. Are my fears correct? Any ideas of how to implement 3 cbs in these circumstances?
3) The above blog mentions libero. Ive been using a sweeper cos I dont want him to be caught up in front of the cbs but rather I want him behind them at all times to deal with anything which comes thru or esp opposition wing play which is the notable drawback of 3cbs +wbs/dws formations. Any ideas on that?
4) Does anybody want to contact me and try something together?

Would also sacrifice the trequestria for an anchor man, if you have two very good inside forwards they wouldn't really need the extra support

I kind of get the feeling Joe does it on purpose. He sometimes gets the names right, sometimes throws a stunning blunder. Don't dare to guess his agenda though. I do fear his words though - he once said Insomnia and Charles was gone. This time he got Llambezie, Kebab, Sissy and Ben Afree - and the first one resigned today. It feels like Ramsey scoring a goal each time Joe opens his mouth!