Ive lost my LAZIO save. Last nite playing in the wee small hours I tried to holiday till the next match 15 days on but I dunno what happened and game holidayed for two months. I had the use same selection and use same tactics boxes ticked and (esp the former) meant that I found myself in December losing most league matches, being dumped out of the CL and losing my first match in the Club World Champos (to Sundowns!!!). The board was upset as I was 12th, half the team was unhappy/requested transfer for not playing for two months plus ... [...]
Man, it will be great if you could upload that save!

I just cobbled this off the top of my head (i'm at work so no FM!)

View attachment 357682
With IFs cutting inside it they would behave like strikers

Im also at work mate. This is similar to my starting point. But its too orthodox.

1) There is no def instruction in the middle (the dlp could be a defend player and that is fixed).
2) If the point is to pack the centre what about pushing the wbs up and making them DWs and pushing the IFS nearer the TR?
3) Also if one of the IFs is made an AM you'd have three different players (threats).
4) The tactics will have possession as its theme so the DLP and AP are spot on. Passion4fm's barcelona tactics/formation has a centre mf as follows: AP (attack)/cm defend (who I turned into a BWM) and a DLP support. This ensures better ball holding as does your suggested formation.

Anyway I need 3 strikerless formations so something looking like the above will be 1 of them.

What about wbs on Attack which work brilliantly in my OVERLOAD tactic mentioned above esp in conjunction with wing exploit?

I like the idea of the anchorman as well for one of the other two tactics. Instead of a sw/libero or on top of a 3 cb formation.

Good ideas. Thanks. Keep em coming

Anyway Id urge people to look at the mentioned blog(s) as they give an additional dimension to FM ....

Would it be possible to holiday for a season and inform the assman to use the tactic so it can be tested quickly?

Going Strikerless 2

I started a REAL SOCIEDAD save to test certain ideas I had (as explained above) with strikerless tactics.

I am currently about 15 days from 1st Jan 13 and the top 4 positions in La Liga are as follows:

Real Madrid 41
Barcelona 35
Granada 31
R. Sociedad 31

We are still in the Cup (beat Sevilla comfortably in last round) but next match is vs R MADRID ...

So we are not doing too badly tho I suspect that, with the quality in the squad, had I used my normal tactics we would be doing even better:

1. You get 0 transfer budget and 300k wage.
2. I sold the two out and out cfs plus a couple of others and I ended up with around 10 m. Loaned De Sciglio, Bernardo (Vasco - awesome AM/ST and perfect for my formation) and bought ASPAS (awesome as always), Sassa and Strandberg.
3. Mid November the Board gave me 10.5m transfer funds without me asking and since there is a max squad amount of 25 I had to sell players: Bringing in Bellusci at cb (really ****** off for missing out on ALDEWEREILD who was on tranny list for 6m, wanted to come but I stupidly was not generous enuff towards him), Sadio Mane (p ex plus dosh) and Jonas Olsson off the tranny list. Will try to sell another player in Jan to bring in a DM/DW.
4. As to the tactics:
(a) It took longer than usual for the players to learn the tactics and the team to start functioning. I dont mean for the tactics bars to get filled (that was as per normal) I mean generally on the pitch from what I see during matches.
(b) The squad is not and could not be ready for the tactics - eg: the tactics employ dws and I have nobody fitting that description. I end up playing GRIEZMANN and PRIETO (two attacking wingers/ams) or wbs who are yellow/red (and not only green on wings) there. So tactics may work better in richer teams such as TOTTENHAM (which was my other choice for this "experiment") where more players who fit them are there/can be quickly bought. Perfect players for the DW role in my tactics: GARETH BALE/NAINGGOLAN/PARK JI SUNG.
(c) At present Im using a 3cb -5mf (s/s/dlp d/d/a) - am A, T A - combo and for the first time for top teams on RIGID tho I sometimes drop one cb to L and one mf to dm/a (especially when facing a 4231/AMC formation).
(d) The tactics are the most effective tactics Ive seen against 4231 ...

JFK - The legend continues (poor Newcastle)

The Life And Times Of JFK

Oh Joe. Oh dear Joe. We feel a little like it's too easy to poke fun at Joe F***ing Kinnear but it is our civic duty as a watcher of football media. If you feel sorry for confused, elderly gentlemen and think they should be left alone to eat Werthers Originals, tend their allotments and be in sole charge of the transfer dealings of one of English football's elite clubs, then skip this section.

Kinnear is continuing his self-promotional tour of the local north-east media and his tram has now stopped at the Shields Gazette, where he argues that he is "head and shoulders above every other director of football". Why's that, Joe?

"I'm probably the only football manager to be a director of football. I don't know any other ex-managers who have."

For a man who "can pick the phone up at any time of the day and speak to any manager in the league in all the divisions", Kinnear has a remarkably poor knowledge of who's in charge at all these clubs. Mediawatch would have assumed that Peterborough's director of football (and ex-manager) Barry Fry would be a natural bedfellow of Kinnear's, even if Crawley's Steve Coppell does not move in the same comedy cockney circles. Kinnear may also remember that both Kenny Dalglish and Harry Redknapp have had spells as Directors of Football and we seem to remember them as occasional managers. But who are we to nit-pick? Well, we're dedicated nit-pickers obviously...

"I've won every award there is in football as a player."

To be fair, Kinnear won a fair few things as a player - two League Cups, an FA Cup and a UEFA Cup. No league title, no World Cup, no European Cup, no Conference North, but he did say 'award' rather than 'trophy', so presumably he must have won the Ballon D'Or, the PFA Footballer of the Year and possibly a BAFTA, right? Erm. What do you think?

I'm lending my experience as a manager for all those years - 10 years at Wimbledon, two years at Nottingham Forest, two years winning promotion at Luton and, of course, almost two years at Newcastle."

Or, alternatively, seven years at Wimbledon, 11 months at Nottingham Forest, two years winning promotion (after initial relegation) at Luton and, of course, almost five months at Newcastle.

Mediawatch is painfully reminded of the time Granddad Mediawatch belted out 'Do Your Balls Hang Low?' in the doctor's waiting room. He was given medication rather than a Director of Football job.

Is managing in Germany when you re not Bayern/Dortmund the most difficult top league?

Apologies for the post title being allover the place syntax wise but I needed something which would give the idea of the post.

Ive just started my third season with WOLFSBURG and the save has been the least successful Ive ever had since God was young ... Actually my second season was the first time in my career in FM that I failed to win silverware and Im including lower league teams in this!

Most people who play with WOLFSBURG find it quite difficult cos of the financial situation. I chose to ignore it, spent as per usual (ie all my considerable transfer/wage budget, keep Diego and other high earners for some time etc) hoping that it would go away and we have been healthy financially for some time now.

My record so far is:

1st Season - 3rd behind the two big teams (Dortmund 1st) plus Cup.
2nd Season - 3rd as above (Bayern 1st) difference of 14 points from top plus finalists in cup plus qf CL (Barcelona 2-2 home 0-0 away).

In my time Ive managed to beat both the top teams but other than that they rarely if ever drop any points (forget about losing) whereas I was liable to drop points/lose to teams such as Furth!

Im using players Ive used before plus good players I havent and tactics which I know work but here dont so well. Im wondering is it the team? The German top league? (Incidentally my best ever save was in FM12 with Bielefeld starting from Tier 3 and winning the cup first season and everything there was to win thereafter including the EURO from my second season in League two so Im extra baffled).

From memory my current team is:

GK Ospina (bought 2nd season)/Ter Stegen (bought 3rd season when I sold Benaglio)
FBs: Trasch/Ramirez/De Bock/Corchia(3rd season)/Vrsaljko(3rd season)/Lulic (3rd season)/Schwaab
CBs: Andia/Strandberg/Kjaer/Milosevic/Sviatchenko
DMs: Jorge Enriquez/Pizarro (3rd season)/Simao/Clasie (3rd season)/Medojevic
Other mfs: Dembele/Drage/Inui (3rd season)/Sidney Sam/Koo Seol(sp)
FW: Batshuyi/Maupay/Bernard(3rd season)/Sassa/Bony/Belfodil(3rd season)/Kadlec

2nd season I had people like Matri/Mandzukic/Aspas ...

So you see my squad is quality.

Third season started well with 3 wins plus a draw with Bayern but Ive just failed to beat Hannover at home (0-0) displaying characteristics we' ve shown since day one.

Im not enjoying the save and Ive got others more interesting going (incl my strikerless project with R Soc) but Im playing this out of curiosity ...

Apologies for the post title being allover the place syntax wise but I needed something which would give the idea of the post.

Ive just started my third season with WOLFSBURG and the save has been the least successful Ive ever had since God was young ... Actually my second season was the first time in my career in FM that I failed to win silverware and Im including lower league teams in this!

Most people who play with WOLFSBURG find it quite difficult cos of the financial situation. I chose to ignore it, spent as per usual (ie all my considerable transfer/wage budget, keep Diego and other high earners for some time etc) hoping that it would go away and we have been healthy financially for some time now.

My record so far is:

1st Season - 3rd behind the two big teams (Dortmund 1st) plus Cup.
2nd Season - 3rd as above (Bayern 1st) difference of 14 points from top plus finalists in cup plus qf CL (Barcelona 2-2 home 0-0 away).

In my time Ive managed to beat both the top teams but other than that they rarely if ever drop any points (forget about losing) whereas I was liable to drop points/lose to teams such as Furth!

Im using players Ive used before plus good players I havent and tactics which I know work but here dont so well. Im wondering is it the team? The German top league? (Incidentally my best ever save was in FM12 with Bielefeld starting from Tier 3 and winning the cup first season and everything there was to win thereafter including the EURO from my second season in League two so Im extra baffled).

From memory my current team is:

GK Ospina (bought 2nd season)/Ter Stegen (bought 3rd season when I sold Benaglio)
FBs: Trasch/Ramirez/De Bock/Corchia(3rd season)/Vrsaljko(3rd season)/Lulic (3rd season)/Schwaab
CBs: Andia/Strandberg/Kjaer/Milosevic/Sviatchenko
DMs: Jorge Enriquez/Pizarro (3rd season)/Simao/Clasie (3rd season)/Medojevic
Other mfs: Dembele/Drage/Inui (3rd season)/Sidney Sam/Koo Seol(sp)
FW: Batshuyi/Maupay/Bernard(3rd season)/Sassa/Bony/Belfodil(3rd season)/Kadlec

2nd season I had people like Matri/Mandzukic/Aspas ...

So you see my squad is quality.

Third season started well with 3 wins plus a draw with Bayern but Ive just failed to beat Hannover at home (0-0) displaying characteristics we' ve shown since day one.

Im not enjoying the save and Ive got others more interesting going (incl my strikerless project with R Soc) but Im playing this out of curiosity ...

Looks like a solid team and I wish you well on your Sociedad.

Are your standards high? :)

Hehehehe... If you read the relevant post carefully you will note that last season (my second) with them was the first time in my FM career I failed to win any silverware and Im including lower league teams!

Btw I got fed up and sold Bony and Koo Seol or whatever his name in and Im bringing in Wellington Nem for 48m (20 up front 28 instalments). I want to sell more people but cannot for the life of me decide who (been offering SASSA for loan cos I got no space for him due to Batshuayi and Maupay but no takers so far).

Also bringing in Bellusci off the tranny list and Alen Halilovic free ...

Currently in December 3rd season and 2nd one point off Schalke at the top but equal with Borussia and Bayern. But I always did well with WOLFSBURG in the first round. Its from January onwards that the **** hits the fan...

Hehehehe... If you read the relevant post carefully you will note that last season (my second) with them was the first time in my FM career I failed to win any silverware and Im including lower league teams!

Btw I got fed up and sold Bony and Koo Seol or whatever his name in and Im bringing in Wellington Nem for 48m (20 up front 28 instalments). I want to sell more people but cannot for the life of me decide who (been offering SASSA for loan cos I got no space for him due to Batshuayi and Maupay but no takers so far).

Also bringing in Bellusci off the tranny list and Alen Halilovic free ...

Currently in December 3rd season and 2nd one point off Schalke at the top but equal with Borussia and Bayern. But I always did well with WOLFSBURG in the first round. Its from January onwards that the **** hits the fan...

Cool, hopefully Nem will kill it 4 you and you win silverware.
Also, your post about Joe K. was very funny and shows how confused the guy is!

Cool, hopefully Nem will kill it 4 you and you win silverware.
Also, your post about Joe K. was very funny and shows how confused the guy is!

1) Wellington Nem came in, played 3/4 matches, was awesome then got injured for 3 months!
2) Well, having dropped some silly points I finished second (up from 3rd last season and the season before) but won the Cup and the CL.
3) Very annoyed with the Bundesliga really cos Bayern and Dortmund hardly ever lose (2/3 times max).
4) At least in the same save I play as Belgium and so far Ive come 2nd in WC and currently comfortably leading my Group for the Euros plus Belgium are currently up to 3 in the Rankings so its not a totally hateful save ...

I've never done a save in the Bundesliga, but it sounds very much like La Liga. Barca and Real Madrid rarely drop points, even in a league where all away games are pretty tough.

I've never done a save in the Bundesliga, but it sounds very much like La Liga. Barca and Real Madrid rarely drop points, even in a league where all away games are pretty tough.

Didnt experience that myself. Actually I find that the most surprising thing about FM is how easily those two drop points ...

1) Wellington Nem came in, played 3/4 matches, was awesome then got injured for 3 months!
2) Well, having dropped some silly points I finished second (up from 3rd last season and the season before) but won the Cup and the CL.
3) Very annoyed with the Bundesliga really cos Bayern and Dortmund hardly ever lose (2/3 times max).
4) At least in the same save I play as Belgium and so far Ive come 2nd in WC and currently comfortably leading my Group for the Euros plus Belgium are currently up to 3 in the Rankings so its not a totally hateful save ...

Well done on the silverware, it did come.
Unlucky with Nem and with Bayern and Dortmund who can be annoying.

Didnt experience that myself. Actually I find that the most surprising thing about FM is how easily those two drop points ...

Agree. In my saves in La Liga, both Barca and RM drop points against almost all teams that actually try to play football.