Any day now I'm cracking Fm17 open to give it a good go. What're the main differences/things I need to look out for?

I'll be using my beloved Liverpool. ^^)

Ummm, social feed, doesn't do a lot but it's quite funny having a quick read.

American teams seem to actually get involved in transfers now too

Any day now I'm cracking Fm17 open to give it a good go. What're the main differences/things I need to look out for?

I'll be using my beloved Liverpool. ^^)

I got it last weekend after saying I was done with the game, but I am so glad I buckled its much better this year than last. The ME has got rid of a lot of the annoyances that I had anyway. no more pointless ******* corners and all that ****!

As joe mentioned the social feed is always good for a laugh!

Main things I am finding is that players are more sensitive to the media side, one of the changes to signing players is before contract talks you can with some players anyway make promises to help convinve them to sign. so say with younger players you may promise them that they will get game time in the cups or with first teamers it may be that you will strengthen a certain area of the squad. if you don't keep the promise they will kick off and want to leave, I am going through it at Inter with Stefano Sensi, promised him cup minutes but I forgot haha now the ungrateful little ******* wants to leave. he was my long term replacement for Banega.

But the game just feels a lot more polished this year to me and I am really enjoying it although I didn't play FM16 last year much at all

edit oh there also little flavour additions to staff roles you can hire data analysts and sports scientists although I think its just for flavour not actually sure if they do anything but others may be more clued into that than me

I got it last weekend after saying I was done with the game, but I am so glad I buckled its much better this year than last. The ME has got rid of a lot of the annoyances that I had anyway. no more pointless ******* corners and all that ****!

As joe mentioned the social feed is always good for a laugh!

Main things I am finding is that players are more sensitive to the media side, one of the changes to signing players is before contract talks you can with some players anyway make promises to help convinve them to sign. so say with younger players you may promise them that they will get game time in the cups or with first teamers it may be that you will strengthen a certain area of the squad. if you don't keep the promise they will kick off and want to leave, I am going through it at Inter with Stefano Sensi, promised him cup minutes but I forgot haha now the ungrateful little ******* wants to leave. he was my long term replacement for Banega.

But the game just feels a lot more polished this year to me and I am really enjoying it although I didn't play FM16 last year much at all

edit oh there also little flavour additions to staff roles you can hire data analysts and sports scientists although I think its just for flavour not actually sure if they do anything but others may be more clued into that than me

Good. ****** Inter! ;)

Yeah I'm not really sure what the point in the analysts are. I hire them because I can really

Good. ****** Inter! ;)

Yeah I'm not really sure what the point in the analysts are. I hire them because I can really

they just have a really interesting squad this year, ive lost a fair few players to the prem though, its hard to keep players, Icardi to Bayern for 60m, candreva arsenal after a career season, jao Mario to Chelsea, Kondogbia to citeh, Perisic to spurs list just goes on and on but I have recruited pretty well

If you are not one of the top teams or not very rich have a look at the Cypriot forward CHRISTOFI (plays at OMONOIA). 27 yo with pretty decent stats! Quite cheap.

Last edited:
Ummm, social feed, doesn't do a lot but it's quite funny having a quick read.

American teams seem to actually get involved in transfers now too

Mexican clubs are going apeshit in the transfer market, hovering all the young prospects in Argentina and a lot of Brazilians too!

About FM17, I love that your staff are much more involved with things and keep bombarding you with suggestions and information. Makes the whole experience much more immersive imho.

Also the introduction of data analysts means that you get much better scout reports about opponents etc.

About FM17, I love that your staff are much more involved with things and keep bombarding you with suggestions and information. Makes the whole experience much more immersive imho.

Also the introduction of data analysts means that you get much better scout reports about opponents etc.

If FM17 were real life, the media would love me, but my coaches would hate me. I ignore almost all of their tactical advice without even looking. I bet it would be actually more enjoyable if I did allow myself to be more immersed in it!

Yeah the general suggestions are handy, also saying when a players ability changes is a nice touch (e.g previously only a Premier division standard player, now is a leading player - or whatever)

I dont necessarily listen to what my coaches say but they do wake me up to move towards certain actions, and it does add realism imho.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great but expensive cbs

Nico Elvedi
M. Keane
Lemos
Mere
Will Orban (RBL)
N. Sule
Inigo Martinez

I like all of them cos they have decent acceleration and pace stats (or these stats can quickly be increased through training.

This guy on the other hand is very cheap!:

Wahlqvist (starts off as mainly a rb but eventually can safely be moved to cb)

EVERTON

Everton is pretty easy but fun. You get a lot of money at the start but if you spend it you MUST win stuff sharpish as the finances (loans etc) are pretty ****.
I told the board I will qualify for Europa League and they gave me 57 mil.

Sold Mirallas for 18m upfront plus 8m instalments) to PSG, Gibson, Cleverley, Kone, Niasse, Lennon etc and I doubled my budget almost.

Then with the following squad I won the EPL and EFL Cup and lost to Hull in FA Cup final (almost intentionally as I played a very weak team when I didnt have to) in the first season:

GK: Stekelemburg/Lafont (who is actually pretty great!)

LB: Baines/Tierney (and from Deember onwards Garbutt)/Lato and Pellegrini (kept in the under 23s)

CB: Williams (sold in January)/Jagielka (sold January)/ Elvedi (bought January)/Keane/Wahlqvist/Funes Mori/Onguene(kept in under 23s)/Mere

RB: Coleman/Peruzzi

DM/CM: Melegoni/Walace/Gueye/Romero/Barkley/McCarthy

Wingers/AMRs: Deulofeu/Bentancur/Lozano/Promes (who actually is used as and trined to be SS)/Bolasie/Depay (loan)/Guedes (loan)

CF: All used like Promes: Lukaku/Kuki/Enner

Plus Leo Jaba and Diakhate

Used mainly my new strikerless 4132 narrow

THEN IN THE 2ND SEASON:

I sold Baines, Stekelemburg, McGeady, Coleman and Funes Mori, and bought Iorfa, Lemos (a South American young cb from a Spanish team - I think Las Palmas) and Vietto (wanted to buy Ayoze but his terms were ridiculous). I also bought Pickford to be my back up GK.

I had a lot of money left to buy more but I already got a pretty great (and settled) squad plus Im projected to breach FFP for England (something to do with my wage budget which I cant for the life of me understand).

Currently in end of December 2nd season and in 2nd 4 points from Spurs. Won my CL group (vs Levercusen, FCP and Club Bruges) and got Bayern in the knock outs! Still in both cups and won the Charity Shield 4-2 vs Arsenal)

Hes ok. He s loaned out to Huddersfield after helping me win the league in the first season playing as a shadow striker. But he is inconsistent.

Lato is barely improving tho. Currently in the under 23s getting tutored

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Everton is an interesting shout. I've seen you mention them before. Great club with a lot of history, a great local rivalry, a good stadium, great training setup, and plenty of prospects.

Personally I have an odd dislike for managing in England. Its weird in the sense that I watch the EPL (every match) and its where my favorite club are (Arsenal). But I do not enjoy managing Arsenal. I've had saves with Hull City (got the promoted in FM16) and Bournemouth (barely got into the first season in both FM16 and FM17). I've been eying up Burnley as well. But I tend to manage in the Bundesliga (can't right now), Netherlands, or Russia. Just starting a save with FK Krasnodar in Russia.

The recent EPL games I've tried have been with smaller clubs, lacking in some infrastructure and needing to be built up. Everton are well more advanced, and that will make for a rather different game. I like the Everton have a lot of pieces, but aren't quite the "ready to excel" side that starting a save with City, Chelsea, Arsenal, or even United or Liveprool tend to be.

Everton is an interesting shout. I've seen you mention them before. Great club with a lot of history, a great local rivalry, a good stadium, great training setup, and plenty of prospects.

Personally I have an odd dislike for managing in England. Its weird in the sense that I watch the EPL (every match) and its where my favorite club are (Arsenal). But I do not enjoy managing Arsenal. I've had saves with Hull City (got the promoted in FM16) and Bournemouth (barely got into the first season in both FM16 and FM17). I've been eying up Burnley as well. But I tend to manage in the Bundesliga (can't right now), Netherlands, or Russia. Just starting a save with FK Krasnodar in Russia.

The recent EPL games I've tried have been with smaller clubs, lacking in some infrastructure and needing to be built up. Everton are well more advanced, and that will make for a rather different game. I like the Everton have a lot of pieces, but aren't quite the "ready to excel" side that starting a save with City, Chelsea, Arsenal, or even United or Liveprool tend to be.

1) I too don't much like managing in England. Im only doing it with Everton cos I knew about the huge transfer budget initially as well as the presence of a number of expensive deadwood that can be sold to generate a LOT of cash. I wanted to see if I could win the league/trophies (and dominate) from the first season with a combination of great new players (eg Promes) and wonderkids.

2) Krasnodar have a decent set up actually and should be fun.

3) For Everton as I am using a strikerless 4132 with 2 shadow strikers Ive had to train all forwards as SS (including Lukaku). It also means that players such as Bolasie, Deulofeu etc can be used both as CM (attack) and as SS while being "red" for the position (and even swap between the two positions).

From memory the formation is a narrow one: SK (D) - CWB (A) CB (ST) CB (C) - CWB (D), DLP (D), CM (A) -BWM (S) - CM (A),SS (A) SS (A)

4) My favourite places to manage are: Brazil, Argentina and starting from German 3rd division (in FM 16 it was DRESDEN)

Site is not letting me edit - BOTH cwbs are on attack

Interesting formation. Never done too much with a strikerless formation. I read the Strikerless blog but never tried it myself.

I really vaguely recall having given Everton a try a long time ago. Like FM06 or 07. I don't remember anything about the save. But I have a blurry recollection that it did occur. I assume it didn't last long lol. They definitely have a strong infrastructure. How is the coaching staff? And how far into the save are you now? And does the narrow formation with two CWBs end up being vulnerable on the wings?

Never managed in Brazil or Argentina. Who do you usually take? Or is it someone different every time?

Kinda still in my "save jumping" phase. I've realized I tend to do that in the first couple months after the game comes out. I don't tend to settle into a save until after Christmas, sometimes not until the winter date update. I was quite enjoying my Lokomotiv Moscow save and made into March. But despite getting a pretty good regen on youth intake, and sniping another, I'm having a few issues. The reserve side doesn't have any matches, which is weird and not how it worked on FM16. Plus my sponsorships ran out at the end of December and the club hasn't negotiated any new ones. Sponsorships in Russia are pretty lucrative and a key financial aspect. As it is, I'm watching my finances slowly drain down to nothing. I assume i'll get new sponsors in June (when they typically expire), but its a bit concerning. As I was playing this save, Kransodar kept catching my eye. So I started a save and I'm a few weeks in. Don't know how far I'll go.

Krasnodar are quite intriguing. They are less than a decade old, but are one of the best built Russian clubs in terms of the infrastructure. Pretty good training facilities and great youth facilities. Brand new awesome stadium. Solid first team. Play in the Europa League. The youth recruitment isn't up to the level of the youth academy and the staff need lots of work. They have never won anything and the only club legend is the owner. They are a relatively blank slate but already in a good spot as they are well run (rare in Russia). Its a save with a lot of long term potential.... but I'm not falling in love with it just yet. I'll probably go back to Lokomotiv (or try a new save with them, if it might solve the reserve team issue) and then try Krasnodar down the road.

Has anybody used Adalberto Penaranda? Belongs to Watford is on loan at Udinese. Looks very tasty!

Interesting formation. Never done too much with a strikerless formation. I read the Strikerless blog but never tried it myself.

I really vaguely recall having given Everton a try a long time ago. Like FM06 or 07. I don't remember anything about the save. But I have a blurry recollection that it did occur. I assume it didn't last long lol. They definitely have a strong infrastructure. How is the coaching staff? And how far into the save are you now? And does the narrow formation with two CWBs end up being vulnerable on the wings?

Never managed in Brazil or Argentina. Who do you usually take? Or is it someone different every time?

Kinda still in my "save jumping" phase. I've realized I tend to do that in the first couple months after the game comes out. I don't tend to settle into a save until after Christmas, sometimes not until the winter date update. I was quite enjoying my Lokomotiv Moscow save and made into March. But despite getting a pretty good regen on youth intake, and sniping another, I'm having a few issues. The reserve side doesn't have any matches, which is weird and not how it worked on FM16. Plus my sponsorships ran out at the end of December and the club hasn't negotiated any new ones. Sponsorships in Russia are pretty lucrative and a key financial aspect. As it is, I'm watching my finances slowly drain down to nothing. I assume i'll get new sponsors in June (when they typically expire), but its a bit concerning. As I was playing this save, Kransodar kept catching my eye. So I started a save and I'm a few weeks in. Don't know how far I'll go.

Krasnodar are quite intriguing. They are less than a decade old, but are one of the best built Russian clubs in terms of the infrastructure. Pretty good training facilities and great youth facilities. Brand new awesome stadium. Solid first team. Play in the Europa League. The youth recruitment isn't up to the level of the youth academy and the staff need lots of work. They have never won anything and the only club legend is the owner. They are a relatively blank slate but already in a good spot as they are well run (rare in Russia). Its a save with a lot of long term potential.... but I'm not falling in love with it just yet. I'll probably go back to Lokomotiv (or try a new save with them, if it might solve the reserve team issue) and then try Krasnodar down the road.

1. I love the Strikerless blog and me and Guido have been internet mates for some time now. I always take one of his tactics and tweak it (I did very well in the FM Base league in FM 16 -while it lasted- with such a tactic). But my current strikerless tactic is a bit of a Frankenstein. I downloaded a tactic with striker(s) from somewhere (I think The Raumdeuter but Im not sure) and superimposed a strikerless formation over it (with the aim of overloading thus controlling the middle of the park). I then began tweaking the PIs and TIs.

I actually have a template of TIs which I tweak in match if need be - eg I start with no hard tackling especially against better teams as well as with play out of defence TI but eventually I may tackle harder and lose the play from defence TI to play faster. I also start with CONTROL but may change to ATTACK or STANDARD depending on the score. I also have a "safe" set of TIs based on what I say in this thread which I employ from the 85th minute to protect lead, which is 99% successful. I like reactive management.

Oddly enuff the formation is not overtly vulnerable on the wings, I think because having overloaded the midfield the opposition doesn't find it easy to properly feed wingers. I am also seeing some amazing track backs by the cwbs and pinpoint tackling as well as midfielders properly covering the wings. Only problem is that by the end of matches almost all my players are in the high to mid 60s fitness wise from 95 to 100% at the start.

Generally it produces some lovely football. I recorded 5-3 and 6-2 wins vs Man City, 4-2 and 5-3 vs Arsenal and always comfortably beat Arsenal. Doesn't always work but when it doesn't its obvious within 15 minutes so I "cheat" by changing to one of Mr Langvatn's tactics.

Im in Feb. 2018. Just lost 1-0 away to Bayern. But will overturn it!

2. Always somebody different in Brazil and Argentina. Currently have a save with Argentinos Juniors who start from 2nd division but Ive had saves with Lanus, Arsenal, Estudiantes LP, San Lorenzo, Rosario, Gremio, Vitoria (3 different versions), Nautico, Santos, Palmeiras, Cruzeiro. All very enjoyable.

3.I remember your Russian adventures with Lokomotiv. Ive actually been to Krasnodar as my Ukrainian wife comes from a city directly across a very short ferry trip from it (and is a Shaktar supporter and she's take me to matches so I usually have saves with them also). Must say if I ever go back to Russia in FM (I had a Zenit save a few aeons ago) it will be with Krasnodar cos it looks like they have a nice springboard. I don't like the squad rules and the dearth and expense of Russian players tho.