Melegoni - cheapish young cm. Develops to world class.

Gino Peruzzi - still great after all these years. And despite his age he improves. Has also Italian nationality which makes him even lovelier. And all for around 3m including instalments.

Aissa Mandi- also still great. But a bit more expensive than Peruzzi. Also plays both rb and lb (better at lb than Peruzzi)

Duelund CM - Very cheap brill youngster. Can feature in starting XI from get go

Ion Nedelceanu - DMC - Young, combative and cheap.

Ivan - Good young CF. Not as good as in FM16 but still a wonderkid.

Iver Fossum cm/am (even better this version but also even more expensive)

Sondre Rossbach GK - Good option for initial back up. Cheap.

David Pavelka - very cheap utility mf (still much better than you d think looking at his stats. Good for the Sunderlands of this world)

Wahlqvist - Initially great at rb and adequate at cb but if you train as cb he can quickly become a great cb. Bearing in mind that there seems to be a real paucity of cheap young cbs in FM17 that would be the best option.

Willi Orban - cb . This guy is at RBL and only 23 at the start. Stats are pretty decent but not great (eg his 13 pace and 12 acceleration are too low imho even for cbs). He is also not very cheap. However give him matches and you will be amazed. He consistently plays at a higher standard than his stats would seem to indicate.

Any top youngster for villa in championship mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody used Adalberto Penaranda? Belongs to Watford is on loan at Udinese. Looks very tasty!

I was on the verge of buying him at the beginning of 2020-2021 season. He still has some very good stats but his goal scoring record has been below par for Watford. I think it was Valencia ended up snapping him up.

1. I love the Strikerless blog and me and Guido have been internet mates for some time now. I always take one of his tactics and tweak it (I did very well in the FM Base league in FM 16 -while it lasted- with such a tactic). But my current strikerless tactic is a bit of a Frankenstein. I downloaded a tactic with striker(s) from somewhere (I think The Raumdeuter but Im not sure) and superimposed a strikerless formation over it (with the aim of overloading thus controlling the middle of the park). I then began tweaking the PIs and TIs.

I actually have a template of TIs which I tweak in match if need be - eg I start with no hard tackling especially against better teams as well as with play out of defence TI but eventually I may tackle harder and lose the play from defence TI to play faster. I also start with CONTROL but may change to ATTACK or STANDARD depending on the score. I also have a "safe" set of TIs based on what I say in this thread which I employ from the 85th minute to protect lead, which is 99% successful. I like reactive management.

Oddly enuff the formation is not overtly vulnerable on the wings, I think because having overloaded the midfield the opposition doesn't find it easy to properly feed wingers. I am also seeing some amazing track backs by the cwbs and pinpoint tackling as well as midfielders properly covering the wings. Only problem is that by the end of matches almost all my players are in the high to mid 60s fitness wise from 95 to 100% at the start.

Generally it produces some lovely football. I recorded 5-3 and 6-2 wins vs Man City, 4-2 and 5-3 vs Arsenal and always comfortably beat Arsenal. Doesn't always work but when it doesn't its obvious within 15 minutes so I "cheat" by changing to one of Mr Langvatn's tactics.

Im in Feb. 2018. Just lost 1-0 away to Bayern. But will overturn it!

2. Always somebody different in Brazil and Argentina. Currently have a save with Argentinos Juniors who start from 2nd division but Ive had saves with Lanus, Arsenal, Estudiantes LP, San Lorenzo, Rosario, Gremio, Vitoria (3 different versions), Nautico, Santos, Palmeiras, Cruzeiro. All very enjoyable.

3.I remember your Russian adventures with Lokomotiv. Ive actually been to Krasnodar as my Ukrainian wife comes from a city directly across a very short ferry trip from it (and is a Shaktar supporter and she's take me to matches so I usually have saves with them also). Must say if I ever go back to Russia in FM (I had a Zenit save a few aeons ago) it will be with Krasnodar cos it looks like they have a nice springboard. I don't like the squad rules and the dearth and expense of Russian players tho.

Guido seems like a good dude. Think he was recently on the Deep Lying Playmaker podcast I listen to.

Tactic sounds solid. I like that you tweak and adjust. I think a lot of people forget about that - they want to plug n play and never have to adjust anything to the opponent, situation, etc. That's just not how FM really works anymore. Things are indeed going well with Everton. Nice work.

With the right players, Complete Wing Backs can be phenomenal. They are basically a full on attacking outlet. Might be something I need to experiment with in my current tactic.

For a few FMs, I stopped worrying about playing "pretty" and was really just more concerned with effective. Not even sure why. On FM16, a poster on SI introduced me to the idea of playing Very Fluid and I'm kinda hooked on that. With reasonably talented (for the level) players, it can create some amazing sequences. I really want to try it at some point with a big club that's already full of world class players as I think that would be great to watch. Unfortunately, managing that level of a club just doesn't' appeal at the moment. Fitness is definitely an issue with the high press approach as well.

A Ukrainian wife? Nice! My dad's side of the family is from the Ukraine originally, though they jumped the pond about a century ago. Sadly, I've never visited. Only been to England briefly and that's where the mom's side is from. Would be worth trying to go across to Krasnodar again if you guys go back just to see the new stadium. That video screen....

I know what you mean about the rules in Russia. They are rather restrictive. Yet it doesn't bother me. Its odd - restrictive rules annoy me endlessly in one league, but similar (or worse) rules don't bother me in another league. Or they are actually part of the appeal. In Russia, you sort of have freedom in that foreign players can be from anywhere. But the Russian player requirements mean you NEED quality Russian players and you NEED to develop what youngsters you have. Work permits and restricted areas of buying annoy me in the UK, but this aspect of Russia appeals. Its odd. I've just always been fascinated with eastern Europe, and Russia in particular.

Figured out what was going on with the Lokomotiv reserve schedule. Its a bug. Found a way to fix it in the editor but it means starting a new save. More likely to do that than go much further with Krasndoar. I would be giving some German clubs a try if it was for that bug.

Loving your thread mate especially the bits about unknown players. I read all pages today at work thanks for keeping me awake lol

Finished my Everton second season. Won the EFL and finished 2nd to Man Utd by one point. Pure idiocy on my part as I lost at home to WBA having equalised 5 minutes from end at 1-1 I went overload trying to win and conceded in the last minute. I had marginally better GD so a draw would have been enuff!

Sold Peruzzi for 20 mil and Promes for 40 (to PSG) but Im only seeing 30% of transfer money. Also sold Garbutt (to wolves I think) for 11 million. Brought Fosu-Mensah on loan to take Garbutt's place (will buy him as soon as I have the money), Kenny Tete to take Peruzzi's place and Im trying to buy Andrija Zivkovic and/or Lautaro Martinez. Most if not all of these players were far from my first choices but I have a limited budget.

Any new CF who comes will be retrained as SS (been retraining Lozano and Deulofeu as well).

Bigpapa I don't care about playing pretty. Never have. My priority is always trophies. If I win by playing nicely that's a nice by product.

What wonderkids are good this year who can get at near enough any team in the prem but turn out to be best players in world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having suffered the same tragedy all those years ago (yet still very foremost in our mind), today 29/11/16 we UNITED fans stand with you Chapeco and Chapecoense as brothers in sorrow.

Sooooo sad news.
We can only hope the families get some of the insurance money unlike the way the families were treated by United.

Great thread btw

Cheap eccentric players:

GK Sayuba Mande
CF Mthembu
AM/CF: Meschak Elia

Question time! Again seeking player recommendations....

So doing another Lokomotiv Moscow save. Since it looks they have sold 32 year old right winger Alexandr Samedov to Spartak for 5m. so I've done a quick data update to move the player and give Loko a bit more money to spend (not the full 5m). Now, I'm not desperate for a replacement, because I have 2 solid (for Russia) wingers who can play on the right wing and I can retrain Miranchuk for that spot easily enough. I'm eying up Nemanja Mihajlovic of Partizan who is almost ideal and can play both wings, but he's wanted by some bigger clubs so I might not be able to get.

What I need is a right winger. I play him at MR but AMR can be retrained easily enough. Even an AMC could if they fit the bill well enough. Prefer a younger player with some potential to get better, but a veteran player could be a short term solution, certainly. Prefer a well rounded player, with some level of defensive skill and a bit of creativity rather than a pure attacking winger who is all pace and dribbling. I want to build a side with a lot of workrate, determination, and reasonable aggression. Given that its Russsia, a lot of players from western Europe won't come, especially if they have a higher reputation. Eastern Europe, South America (higher rep won't come), Africa, Asia, etc, are the best bets. I have about 4.5m Euros to spend so I'd prefer a player in the 3-4m range at most.

So suggestions?

It doesn't want to let me edit. Was just gonna add that Samedov is pretty much the prototype for the kind of right winger I would like. Just two problems. One is that he doesn't have a great personality to mentor. Its not bad, just normal. Second is that given his age, his pace declines quite rapidly and he is often below 10 before the season is up, meaning he almost needs to move inside.

Allione, kasper kusk (not great but your parametres are restrictive), rilwan hassan (ditto), nikola gjorgjev, arendaruk

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know its kinda restrictive. Sucks but its the nature of a save in Russia, I find. Much appreciated for the suggestions list. Look forward to taking a peak when I have the game open. And honestly, a "mediocre, good enough" player might be ideal as they won't cost a ton and demand huge wages (hopefully) and I can look to upgrade not too far down the road.

Tashayev is who I'd love to sign, even though he's naturally a left winger and he's not quite rounded enough yet. Russian and has potential. Dinamo just want too much for him off the start.

If you can get allione he s a god

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi guys

as a long term Inter fan I wanna manage there but after playing first time for fun mainly to test stuff etc most of which was hit and miss, so this time I wanna prepare myself, I know that Inters team ingame have pretty decent squad amazing Icardi good wings, good midfield, solid fullbacks and fairly decent CBs so a tactic around 433 or 4231 should fit in there, in my first play-through I've tested mainly 442/4411 as im also a fan of Simeone's Atletico style, but as I said above it was a bit hit and miss, got to the point where I'd like your opinion

How do you counter the team that's countering you?

Lets say im playing Juventus and Roma away, using a possession based wide 433 with full backs overlapping

Juve often plays 4312 when they need goals they switch to 433 narrow or 4312 offensive, and thats whey they often pushed me back and score goals

so I'm guessing the key to beat them would be exploiting the wide areas having IFs draging their fullbacks to the middle while our fullbacks overlap them? and I never know if the enemy plays narrow, should I set my team to play norrow and exploit the wings or play wide and also if they have a dangerous front 2+1AM or 3 STs should I sit deep or have a higher line with offsides...

Roma on the other hand plays a possesion based wide 433 kind of like a tiki taka style with fast and creative wings and when they need to score they switch to offensive 4240 which is also when its really hard to counter them, because when I sit back they would just overrun me and eventually score, if i go offensive they would play long ball to front 4 and outplay me....

any advice guys?

thanks!

Allione, kasper kusk (not great but your parametres are restrictive), rilwan hassan (ditto), nikola gjorgjev, arendaruk

Took a look. Gonna scout all of them to see if they might be interested. Allione definitely looks like a good shout - he's more rounded than I remember Also quite like the look of Gjorgjev, but I don't think he'll want to come to Russia. Thanks again!

Hi guys

as a long term Inter fan I wanna manage there but after playing first time for fun mainly to test stuff etc most of which was hit and miss, so this time I wanna prepare myself, I know that Inters team ingame have pretty decent squad amazing Icardi good wings, good midfield, solid fullbacks and fairly decent CBs so a tactic around 433 or 4231 should fit in there, in my first play...

Hi guys

as a long term Inter fan I wanna manage there but after playing first time for fun mainly to test stuff etc most of which was hit and miss, so this time I wanna prepare myself, I know that Inters team ingame have pretty decent squad amazing Icardi good wings, good midfield, solid fullbacks and fairly decent CBs so a tactic around 433 or 4231 should fit in there, in my first play...

i believe you messed up something here mate :)

Hi guys

Woah woah woah woah woah....I always thought you were alright....I feel so foolish! ;)

Last edited: