Max

Reaction score
Hey. ^^)

These are the new tactics I'm releasing, based on Roy Hodgson's highly successful 4-4-2 which took his Fulham side to 7th in the Premier League, after just about surviving relegation in the previous season. He then went on to take Fulham to there first ever European final, beating teams such as Juventus, one of the biggest teams in Europe historically, Wolfsburg, who had won the German league the previous season, HSV, and also the holders of the competition, Shakhtar.

Now, before you all expect to have the similar sort of success if you use it with Fulham etc, understand that they're team is pretty **** on FM tbh, and a lot of players aren't up to scratch and won't perform like they do for Hodgson in real life completely. Mostly, this is based on Hodgson's style of play and tries to copy it. Although Fulham play quite direct in real life, I had to go with short passing in this tactic as it seemed to work better. It's a disciplined system which involves simple roles such as wide midfielders, limited defenders, and the poacher and target man sort of role upfront.

I am not saying this tactic is as good as Roy Hodgson's success but it vaguely based on it as much as possible but still so it's a solid tactic. I currently am half way through my season with Fulham and sit in 9th position, which is reasonably good for Fulham as they're teams sucks on FM pretty badly. My best results include a 1-0 away win vs Roma, and I've always won a few games vs Liverpool away and at home and a few more.

I asked Luke to test this tactic and he had quite good success with it. He managed to finish 7th with West Ham in the first season, and also won the FA Cup. Note this was on an update but there were no CA/PA changes to his team that I know of.

I won't go on about each position separately, but if you really need help then just ask and I'll try and help you on here. So yeah, that's about it, here are screenshots of the tactic in work, league tables and results etc :)

Feedback is welcome but if you start moaning about it not working when you use it in your first game I will personally ***** slap you. Give the tactic time please and results will hopefully work well for you. ^^)

I DIDN'T USE OI TESTING THE TACTIC.

DON'T HOLIDAY GAMES AND EXPECT GOOD RESULTS.

Criticism is welcome but lets not go over the top with the abuse if it doesn't work for you, eh?

Screenshots of Luke's game..

View attachment 94286

View attachment 94282

View attachment 94283

View attachment 94284

View attachment 94285

Overall, I think finishing 7th with West Ham and winning the FA Cup first season is a quality season. Also a few wins against big four opposition there, Luke did really well. :) Luke used an update but there were no real CA/PA changes as far as I know. Cheers for testing Luke. ;)

Screenshots of my game..

View attachment 94272

View attachment 94273

View attachment 94274

View attachment 94275

View attachment 94276

View attachment 94277

View attachment 94278

I think for Fulhams standards, we did pretty well. Brilliant win over Roma 1-0 away from home, and even had 59% possession. Although them having a man sent off did help but I still think it was an impressive win for us. Done the double over Liverpool aswell home and away which was pretty good, and also smashed Dinamo 5-2 away from home in a disciplined system so pleased overall with the progress so far. I will finish the rest of the season and hopefully post up the final standings soon on this thread. I used the 10.3 patch with no updates.

So, yeah, that's about it. Here's the tactic attached as from now until I can upload it onto the site and get it accepted. There are 3 versions, one with one of the two strikers as a complete forward (support), one with him as a deep lying forward (support) and one of him as a target man (attack). All of these choices have been tried and tested, Luke used the complete forward technique and it worked a bit better for him, we both tried to Target Man which was alright, and the Deep Lying Forward one was tested by me which worked decently aswell. It was hard getting the best out of this position for both of us. Luke used Cole in that position, and I used a non updated Bobby Zamora (not much hope for me).

Use whatever one you think would suit your striker more.

Also do not be afraid to change the starting mentality from counter to something more controlling and attacking. It's just like that as it worked well for both of us.

Enjoy, and feedback in very much appreciated. :)

Link to tactics - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3027

I would also like to thank Luke, LG Fire, and Mike for helping me with this tactic, as their advice on certain things improved it a lot. :wub:

Last edited:
ill give it a whizz with target man and let you know :)

Problem with the screenshots mate, i'm sure they'll be good though.. :)

Gay imageshack. I'll add Luke's in a minute, done mine though.

I'm currently using the tactic, I'll get my report up in the next couple of days.

I'm currently using the tactic, I'll get my report up in the next couple of days.
Think you have the old copy mate, might need to download one of those 3 ;)

Looks good Max; I'll probably give this a go some time; Good work :)

how did sunderland get relegated on your game?! they have a quality team!

anyway on topic: this looks interesting, a different style to most tactics which get posted which try to attack and control, so ill download this for sure and try and get back to you about how it plays :)

Updated OP with Luke's screenshots. :)

i'll give this a try in llm max and get back to you :)

First 3 games with Celtic, won 2-0 against AC Milan, then 4-1 hibs and drew 2-2 with Barca, work a treat mate really good work, thanks :)

First 3 games with Celtic, won 2-0 against AC Milan, then 4-1 hibs and drew 2-2 with Barca, work a treat mate really good work, thanks :)
Wow. Nice results there mate, glad it's working so far :D Cheers for the feedback, if you could find some spare time could you try and post up some screenshots of that mate? Cheers.

i was going to start a game tomorrow, but ill see if it can save tottenham on my network game ;)

I thought they were a while away from release? I will test them out ASAP but you are 4th in my que for testings.

Great post Max! Gonna give this a go and report back. Can i just ask where did you get your stadium background pack from looks great

Cheers

:wub: good to see it up, Ill take a look at it and will give you the flaws, and ill tell you were to improve

I thought they were a while away from release? I will test them out ASAP but you are 4th in my que for testings.
Yeah I expected them to be still testing for a while but had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday and got some good results and in the end had 3 different versions all tested so thought I may aswell release. And yeah thats fine mate, cheers.

Great post Max! Gonna give this a go and report back. Can i just ask where did you get your stadium background pack from looks great

Cheers
Cheers, feedback would be appreciated. :D

And I think it's on the site somewhere, if you go into game add ons at the top on the drop down bar, then go on backgrounds it should be in there somewhere. :)

:wub: good to see it up, Ill take a look at it and will give you the flaws, and ill tell you were to improve
Cheers mate.