Max's Tactical Guide

• Thread starter Thread starter Max
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 208
  • Views Views 100K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried this but then i seem to have a lot of possesion and not a lot of chances(as i posted a screenshot of earlier in the thread) where ill have 60%+ possesion and about 10 shots:S
Play more direct.

hey mate,

my question is this: when playing a 4-5-1 (2 CM, 2 wingers, 1 Striker), i never know how to play the CMs and the lone striker. does he have to have a support duty to prevent isolation? also would playing the lone striker as a target man work, or would he be too isolated? (TT and F seems to be against the idea) thanks in advance if you manage to reply

PS: really appreciate the time and effort you put into this, kudos for your hard work :)

Thought I may aswell post this on here. Here are my newly released Hodgson tactics (4-4-2). If you're struggling then you might fancy giving them a go and giving me some feedback on the thread. Here's the link - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f72/maxs-4-4-2-hodgson-tactics-t43728.html#post610583

Cheers lads. :)

hey mate,

my question is this: when playing a 4-5-1 (2 CM, 2 wingers, 1 Striker), i never know how to play the CMs and the lone striker. does he have to have a support duty to prevent isolation? also would playing the lone striker as a target man work, or would he be too isolated? (TT and F seems to be against the idea) thanks in advance if you manage to reply

PS: really appreciate the time and effort you put into this, kudos for your hard work :)
I'd usually use a deep lying playmaker (support) and a box to box midfield in centre midfield mate, seems to be a simple but effective combo that for a lot of people, and get's a good few goals from it. For you striker, I'd make him a deep lying forward/poacher depending on his stats. If he's quick and got good finishing then striker, if he's strong and holds up the ball well and has got a decent long shot then deep lying forward. If neither, advanced forward.

And cheers mate, appreciated. ;)

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Any requests?

mate this will be a challange for you i have started a new game with a team called Santa Cruz and am wondering do you know any lower league tactics that work they are in the third and last tier of brazilian football here is the team.

mate this will be a challange for you i have started a new game with a team called Santa Cruz and am wondering do you know any lower league tactics that work they are in the third and last tier of brazilian football here is the team.
I have not got a clue who any of those players are, but try out my Hodgson tactics if you want. Disciplined system so should work alright in lower leagues. The link is in my signature. :)

well mate , here it is , I would like to know if a 4-2-3-1 is suitable for Sampdoria, with Casano as a playmaker and Pazzini upfront ! what style of play I should use, etc ? I can see that you have success with this thread, so I am Leaving this to you, since you are the Master technician :)

hope you can help me Max , Cheers !

well mate , here it is , I would like to know if a 4-2-3-1 is suitable for Sampdoria, with Casano as a playmaker and Pazzini upfront ! what style of play I should use, etc ? I can see that you have success with this thread, so I am Leaving this to you, since you are the Master technician :)

hope you can help me Max , Cheers !
Hey. :)

Yeah I think it would work, use Palombo in CM as a deep lying playmaker (support), and your other player as a box to box midfielder. Cassano can play AML as an advanced playmaker (support), and your AMR a right winger (attack). Have Pazzini as a poacher I'd say. For team instructions..

Balanced.
Control.

Passing - Direct
Creative freedom - Default
Closing down - Default (if you're against a team who are heavy favourites vs you change to 'Stand off more')
Tackling - Default
Marking - Man Marking
Crossing - Drill crosses
Roaming - Default.

That's about it really, just keep it simple defensively. :)

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

Any requests?

Hello Max,

I play first season with Chelsea, I made something of a hybrid tactic between Levski Sofia, Liverpool, and JP Woody's Germany tactics. It's a 4-1-1-3-1 as you can see on the screenshot.

attachment.php

The roles are set up like this:

Drogba - Complete Forward, Support
Malouda & Joe Cole - Winger, Attack
Lampard - Attacking Midfielder, Attack
Essien - Ball Winning Midfielder, Defend
De Rossi - Deep Lying Playmaker, Support
Ashley Cole - Full Back, Support
Bosingwa - Wing Back, Support
Terry & Alex - Central Defender, Defend

Note: The screenshot has Essien on Support duty, it's wrong. He's actually set to Defend.

I use rigid control strategy, and these team instructions:

Passing style: Shorter
Creative Freedom: More Expressive
Closing Down: Press More
Tackling: Default
Marking: Man Marking
Crossing: Float Crosses
Roaming: More Roaming

The problem I have is that they don't score any goals. I get 1:0 or 0:0 results against weaker teams. In 6 league games, I scored just 5 goals. Defence works OK, until Terry makes some stupid individual mistake, but the offence is just not doing what they should be.

Can you please suggest any changes/tweaks I could try, to get the team working better?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Such a Helpful Guide Max,It really has helped me over the saves I have played Thanks again and I will definetly recommend this to alot of people

I have a alright Chelsea tactic (drew 1-1 with United, won 3-0 against Burnley) you can use if you want, although I think the problem may be your width (is it narrow?) and your amount of strikers. I would suggest a 4-4-2 instead :)

Well, I had no problem with strong teams yet, won 1:2 against United away (Community Shield), also won 0:1 against Liverpool away, 1:0 against Juventus at home (without Drogba), but when I play against a weak team, they suck. :)
I don't like the 4-4-2 formation when managing Chelsea, because they have a lot of natural attacking midfielders, but not many world class strikers. Sturridge is not ready yet, Kalou always hits the keeper. So only Drogba and Anelka left, and Anelka is not so good either. And if one of them is injured, or suspended, as Drogba is for 4 matches in ECC in the beginning of season, then I'm screwed.

The width I use is the default set for Control strategy, so it's Normal. The advanced slider is just in the middle.

Also, some other topic, my staff always says that we get complacent against weaker teams (whichever team I manage), but what they don't say is what should I do with it, so it doesn't happen, any tips? I can't figure this out.

Last edited:
Any requests?
Yeah, could you write a little guide for the 4-4-2 diamond like you did for 4-4-2 with Joe :D. I am making a diamond tactic and I would like to confirm that my ideas are right.
Cheers :D

Can someone offer some tactical advise please?

Hi,

I've been a member here for a while, but can't remember actually posting anything. I've played Football Manager 2010 intermitently over the last year but now am putting a bit more time in. I've realised I need some advise so hopefully some people can help.

I've read Tactical Theorums, but it was a while ago, so I'll read it again.While we are on this subjest what other literature, preferably in an ebook type format would people most recomend?

I've got the original game with the 10.2.0 update. I've only played one game, my current one with Sunderland which is in about 2018. Now the problem is that although my players are getting better I'm just not improving to the level I should be. Looking at my team I would think that 2nd to 4th is a reasonable expectation. The infomation screen says 9th, however, but I've no idea what that is based on or how much value I should put on it. I will probably end up 7th this year, which I don't think is good enough. One reason why I'm here actually is the depressing effect of not seeing many positives and improvements in results after all the time I'm spending.

Tactics is my major download in this game, I think I'm pretty good at the other areas. So here goes.

Ideally I would play a Christmas tree formation but having tried this initially it was a disaster. By lack of any tactical knowledge meant I had no idea how to see up the team and poor players for the required positions. I decided to keep it simple and went to 4-4-2 and then onto a 4-5-1 formation which is what I currently use. My whole system is set up around this formatiion, from my training schedules to the youth players coming through the ranks.

At home I play 4-5-1

I normally start out Balanced and Standard/Control
All other team instructions Default
Sometimes playing passes down the flanks, but mainly mixed
I set playmaker and Target Man

GK - Defend

Full backs - Support, sometimes automatic
DC - Defend

Ancor Man/ Defensive midfielder

Ball winning Midfielder - defend
Advanced playmaker - support

AML/R WIngers - Attack

COmplete Forward - Attack

SO thats my team. I've no idea what to make of it. I change it a bit for away games, of course. How I dream of playing is a pretty standard back four, nothing to flash there. A destroyer in midfield, Mascherano like, with two MCs working their socks off in midfield. SOmetimes venturing forward and breaking into the area. When they win the ball they would send it out wide to my wingers who just attack themselves or supply balls for my COmplete FOrward to bang them in.

The strength of the team is pretty good. My goalie is solid. My full backs are good too. One is a twenty 20 year old 'wonderkid' who can improve but is already pretty handy, the other is average but solid in both attack and defence.

I have one excellent DC (luiz) but the other is a youngster until another good DC comes in January.

I have a couple of solid veterans in DMC (Gago and De La Red) and some excellend youngsters coming through.

I'm a bit confused about my MCs. I have a decent player in the ball winnning role but he only gets 2 stars from the Assistant. My Advanced playmaker is Jonjo Shelvey. I'm not sure if its the right role for him

On the wing I have Angel de Maria and Pedro Leon, or Balotelli. These guuys are the attacking portion of my team, and are all pretty good.

Up front I have an amazing striker who I bought from Real Madrid for about £4m and have trained up so he is now a 5 star player and just brilliant. If it wasn't for him I don't know what I'd do. His name is Raul, now about 24.

All the player instructions are default.

So I've got this 4-5-1 formation and its all I'm set up to player really. I'd love to play Balotelli and Raul up front, but I don't know how to do it. Neither of them seems made for the supporting role, they are both goal scorers.

I've written shed loads now amd although it was quite useful at first to write down my problems, the more I write the more I think of. So I'll leave it here, and head head back to the game, and read what people say in a while.

Thanks for putting up with me.

John

PS how do people defend against 3 strikers?

You can defend against 3 strikers by playing a Anchor Man, such as Mascherano. Play Gago in the role mate :)

I got a quick question, I have just started a new game with barcelona and of course Xavi and Iniesta have unelievable passing ratings would it be better to do shorter or direct passing?

I got a quick question, I have just started a new game with barcelona and of course Xavi and Iniesta have unelievable passing ratings would it be better to do shorter or direct passing?
Shorter mate, definitely. If you want him to be more involved, make the width narrower.

I don't know. I'm doing pretty well with it being mixed becasue if I do it narrow I've got Messi and Ribery on the wings.

Great tactical guide Max.
I am struggling with Man Utd and this will be a great help, my problem is in basically every game
i will dominate possesion, shots and clear cut chances so i think my tactics are right but i still never ever win. i lost to hull 1-0 when i had 26 shots and they had 1, i then lost to everton 4-3 when i had 21 shots and they had 3 (1 og).

you got any advice on how high or low to have my defensive line because i think thats the problem.. i play evra, shawcross, vidic, brown. Or even advice on how to judge how high i have my defensive line if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Sorry for the backlog on all requests, only just woke up. (I'm a lazy *******)

Will do some later, and Paul I don't really have time to do a complete formation for you but I'll try and give you some tips.

Sorry for the backlog on all requests, only just woke up. (I'm a lazy *******)

Will do some later, and Paul I don't really have time to do a complete formation for you but I'll try and give you some tips.
Ok, cheers. And waking up at 4:45 :O! When did you get to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back