Status
Not open for further replies.
who are you playing as?

Max, lol sorry mate but i am zonal marking FTW. i base my games on interceptions rather than making the tackle. you can still lose the ballin the tackle, but in the interception you are on the ball and on the counter straight away
Lol no worries everyone's got their own tactical setups etc :) Cheers for helping out on the thread mate, much appreciated.

What a brilliant guide. I was wondering; since I play with one striker, it would be better to float the crosses? My lone striker has 16 heading (I'm in League 1), and my attacking mid and centre mid can also head the ball. Would floating the crosses give them a tad more time to get into the box and possibly make those headers?

Oh how I would kill for a guide like this for 4-2-3-1...
Thanks. :)

Yeah float balls into the box if he also has a decent bit of jumping ability, and yeah floated crosses are perfect for players making runs from deep into the box (think of your AM as a Cahill type player, late darting run into the box to get on the end of a floated ball into the box), so yeah for your setup floating the crosses really would be better.

And yeah I'm hoping to find some time to do some new formations soon, 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 etc etc..

Last edited:
Lol no worries everyone's got their own tactical setups etc :) Cheers for helping out on the thread mate, much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Yeah float balls into the box if he also has a decent bit of jumping ability, and yeah floated crosses are perfect for players making runs from deep into the box (think of your AM as a Cahill type player, late darting run into the box to get on the end of a floated ball into the box), so yeah for your setup floating the crosses really would be better.

And yeah I'm hoping to find some time to do some new formations soon, 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 etc etc..
no worries mate. considering how many users there are on here i dont think as a site we do enough analysis of tactics in regard to FM. Its something Death Ball brought and when you look around its true.so its good that people can come and post on your thread, and use it as workshop of sorts for their tactics.

Think for FM11 you should try and expand it for other formations, would be more than willing to help.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Eds-99 ill will post my 4-2-3-1, and break it down on there at somepoint this weekend. it's only really useful for top 6-8 sides but i have a decent idea for lower placed countering 4-2-3-1 (never had to put it to the test)

no worries mate. considering how many users there are on here i dont think as a site we do enough analysis of tactics in regard to FM. Its something Death Ball brought and when you look around its true.so its good that people can come and post on your thread, and use it as workshop of sorts for their tactics.

Think for FM11 you should try and expand it for other formations, would be more than willing to help.
Yeah I'd be up for that for FM11. We'll organise something when it's released and that, get some formations done etc, I'm sure together we could both cover most formations on the game, or most of the popular ones really.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:49 PM ----------

Wow.. 46 likes for the OP. Thanks guys. :wub:

Very nice guide max, first time i see it, remember the good old days when i taught you about tactics ;), well now thats in the past keep it up

Hi Max,
This is my first time at LLM and I have chosen Luton Town (as they are second most local team) and I'm not winning my easy matches, I know I'm only 5 games in and 7th but with the easy matches I've had I should almost definetly be either 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I am most probably doing something wrong, as I'm new to LLM.

I don't want to download tactics though, as I think it takes quite a bit of fun out of the game, and if I was to win the league it wouldn't feel as good knowing that it's not my tactic and the creator of the tactic has won it.

I keep drawing or losing to all the **** and bottom of the league teams in who I am expected to get a comfortable victory against?

So could you possibly help me to see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks ;)

View attachment 93731

View attachment 93732
xd.gif

Hi Max,
This is my first time at LLM and I have chosen Luton Town (as they are second most local team) and I'm not winning my easy matches, I know I'm only 5 games in and 7th but with the easy matches I've had I should almost definetly be either 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I am most probably doing something wrong, as I'm new to LLM.

I don't want to download tactics though, as I think it takes quite a bit of fun out of the game, and if I was to win the league it wouldn't feel as good knowing that it's not my tactic and the creator of the tactic has won it.

I keep drawing or losing to all the **** and bottom of the league teams in who I am expected to get a comfortable victory against?

Thanks ;)

View attachment 93731

View attachment 93732
xd.gif
Play a bit more adventurous against lesser teams. Go from rigid to balanced, and from disciplined to default aswell. Also maybe going more direct passing would be better than short, and change 'stick to positon' to default :)

Play a bit more adventurous against lesser teams. Go from rigid to balanced, and from disciplined to default aswell. Also maybe going more direct passing would be better than short, and change 'stick to positon' to default :)

Ok thanks ;) Hopefully I'll be able to win some games now :)

I have actually won my first game in ages now! :)

EDIT: Im winning games, which is good! But Im only beating teams by 1-0, even against the weaker sides, I know its still a win. But I feel I should be winning by a lot more goals, what else do you think I could do for more goals? :)

Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Ok thanks ;) Hopefully I'll be able to win some games now :)

I have actually won my first game in ages now! :)

EDIT: Im winning games, which is good! But Im only beating teams by 1-0, even against the weaker sides, I know its still a win. But I feel I should be winning by a lot more goals, what else do you think I could do for more goals? :)

Thanks ;)
What sort of roles have you got your players under? More attacking ones like wingers etc or more defensive or careful ones like using wide midfielders? Use touchline shouts more and be a bit more risky if you wanna score more, just realise you might lose that 1-0 lead and end up not winning at all if you risk too much.

What sort of roles have you got your players under? More attacking ones like wingers etc or more defensive or careful ones like using wide midfielders? Use touchline shouts more and be a bit more risky if you wanna score more, just realise you might lose that 1-0 lead and end up not winning at all if you risk too much.

Ok thanks.

My roles are:
LB: Full back - Support
RB: ^
CB: Central Defender - Stopper
CB: ^

LM: Wide Midfielder - Attack
RM: ^
LCM: Box to Box - Support or Ball Winning Midfielder - Support
RCM: Advanced Playmaker - Attack

ST: Target Man - Attack
ST: Poacher - Attack

Its a bit symetrical, I think thats alright though.

Ok thanks.

My roles are:

LB: Full back - Support
RB: ^
CB: Central Defender - Stopper
CB: ^

LM: Wide Midfielder - Attack
RM: ^
LCM: Box to Box - Support or Ball Winning Midfielder - Support
RCM: Advanced Playmaker - Attack

ST: Target Man - Attack
ST: Poacher - Attack

Its a bit symetrical, I think thats alright though, still.
Change centre backs to limited defenders, they're gonna lose the ball a bit with low ability in that league, change wide men to wingers, change advanced playmaker to box to box and have two box to box midfielders in there, a playmaker rarely works in low leagues. Upfront is fine.

Change centre backs to limited defenders, they're gonna lose the ball a bit with low ability in that league, change wide men to wingers, change advanced playmaker to box to box and have two box to box midfielders in there, a playmaker rarely works in low leagues. Upfront is fine.
Wow! Thanks mate ;)

Won my first game 6-2, with what you told me to do! I was completly dominant throughout the whole match. I bet I would have lost 1-0 or drew 0-0 before.

Wow! Thanks mate ;)

Won my first game 6-2, with what you told me to do! I was completly dominant throughout the whole match. I bet I would have lost 1-0 or drew 0-0 before.
Great to hear mate, glad it worked for you. ;)

Anybody got any requests? In quite a tactical sort of mood tonight so any requests will be dealt with. :)

It's not so much of a request as a theoretical question, but in a wide 4-2-3-1 with wingers (running channels for wide play), a box-to-box midfielder, a deep-lying playmaker and a trequartista (in the AMC slot); what would be the best type of striker to play? A target man who holds the ball up and allows others to run past him or a poacher/advanced forward who looks to get in behind the defence?

Assume the 2 types of striker have equal ability, this is purely about what to play with the rest of the system.

It's not so much of a request as a theoretical question, but in a wide 4-2-3-1 with wingers (running channels for wide play), a box-to-box midfielder, a deep-lying playmaker and a trequartista (in the AMC slot); what would be the best type of striker to play? A target man who holds the ball up and allows others to run past him or a poacher/advanced forward who looks to get in behind the defence?

Assume the 2 types of striker have equal ability, this is purely about what to play with the rest of the system.
Just gone over it a few times in my head and I think with the roles your using a player who can hold up the ball and allow others to join the attack would be a good idea, as he can either play it out to your wingers or can play a ball back to your trequartista, or there's the option of playing a ball to your box to box midfielder who could find a gap in the oppositions defence and possibly lead you to score.

So yeah overall, having a player who can hold up the ball for you would give you more of an attacking threat as you have more options.

Thanks for all your help Max, I am now a title contender, before I was struggling to stay mid-table.

I've learnt a lot and hopefully I'll get promotion. ;)

Thanks for all your help Max, I am now a title contender, before I was struggling to stay mid-table.

I've learnt a lot and hopefully I'll get promotion. ;)
No worries, was fun helping you and kept me alert in my save aswell. ;)

If anyone needs any in depth help, I'm willing to help out on msn to go more in depth or help you while you're actually playing games etc. I've been doing this tonight with Damon, and it seemed to help him, so if you need help like that PM me your msn address and I'll add you asap. If I don't reply to you, I'm most probably afk. :)

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Any requests?

I have previously asked for some help with this tactic before, and im still having a few problems. I am arsenal and just wanted to know if anything immediately looks like it needs improving?

I have previously asked for some help with this tactic before, and im still having a few problems. I am arsenal and just wanted to know if anything immediately looks like it needs improving?
I think if your Arsenal you should have more freedom rather than being 'disciplined'. Apart from that looks fine.

I think if your Arsenal you should have more freedom rather than being 'disciplined'. Apart from that looks fine.

I've tried this but then i seem to have a lot of possesion and not a lot of chances(as i posted a screenshot of earlier in the thread) where ill have 60%+ possesion and about 10 shots:S

Status
Not open for further replies.