• Replies Replies 158
  • Views Views 14K

Do you think Andy Gray is right?

• Yes, I agree with him

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No, what the f**k is he saying?

Votes: 34 68.0%

• Total voters
he scored 4 goals against arsenal last season, i know not the greatest defence but i think he'd still get 30 goals a season in england. without scoring, he still tore apart Real Madrids defence.

I'm shocked at the amount of people saying he needs to grow a bit.

There's plenty of players in the Prem that are very small, and still do a good job:

Shaun-Wright Phillips
Aaron Lennon
Theo Walcott
Carlos Tevez

I know a few aren't known for strength, but Tevez certainly is.

There's plenty of players in the Prem that are very small, and still do a good job:

Shaun-Wright Phillips

Oh dear. :P

Agreed with your point though. Villa own Barry Bannan is another example. 5'3, but he's a classy player.

Oh dear. :P

Agreed with your point though. Villa own Barry Bannan is another example. 5'3, but he's a classy player.

Lol, we had crazy Barry B on loan at Derby for a while, was a instant hit with the fans, just runs around like there's no tomorrow.

But, what's wrong with SWP? ;)

Lol, we had crazy Barry B on loan at Derby for a while, was a instant hit with the fans, just runs around like there's no tomorrow.

But, what's wrong with SWP? ;)

Really? Hey I didn't know that. He's a gem, is Barry.

When trying to argue for quality small players, SWP isn't exactly the first to come to mind, that's all. The speedy Walcott, the tricky Lennon, the world-class Tevez... and SWP. :P

Really? Hey I didn't know that. He's a gem, is Barry.

When trying to argue for quality small players, SWP isn't exactly the first to come to mind, that's all. The speedy Walcott, the tricky Lennon, the world-class Tevez... and SWP. :P

Yep, we had him on emergency loan a few times when we were injury struck, he might off even scored a cracker if I remember rightly.

And, aah well, he's played for England, he can't be that bad..

Infact, even David Nugent played for England..

I can sort of see Gray's point. He thinks Messi would struggle to adapt to the physicality of the EPL, he never said he isn't good enough for it. You have to say there is some truth in it. If he did play against the likes of Stoke they would just kick the **** out of him to put him off his game.

The question is then: would Messi still be able to play his best football in those conditions? Most people seem to think yes, Gray obviously thinks not. While I think he would still be a stunning talent, I genuinely think it would put him off his game if he had the threat of someone like Cattermole trying to knock 6 bells out of him constantly.

I may be wrong, as I have never seen a match where a team has tried to use that method to stop him, but it seems to me that even if players in La Liga did used to do it, they surely didn't kick him to the extent Cattermole or Wilkinson would. In general, players are Messi is afforeded more time on the ball then he probably would be in the EPL. Sadly it doesn't look like he will ever grace the EPL, so he will never have a chance to prove me wrong.

After using this site for over a year, i have never witnessed a more pointless thread and theoretical discussion, and i take part in as many as i can =D!

LOL! Andy "Clueless" Gray at it again, eh? And Goal.com? They're made for each other - sprouting nonsense.

what people seem to miss it that messi plays for barcelona, a whole team who can move the ball around well. messi on his day would beat stoke easy, but only if he has the players around him also. as with ANY player. any player ever. maybe apart from the one off that was that infamous maradona goal....

Just remember aswell that andy gray did not say this... its goal.com and i was watching when he said it

messi aint necesarily strong, he's just got a low centre of gravity so its hard to barge him off the ball.....

messi is no weaker then ronaldo and he did fairly well at united.........

THIS IS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!
just proves that ppl who attend college to be journalists really don't have to be that smart

Andy Gray isn't a journalist-pundit, he's an ex-footballer-pundit, so he got his brains on the football pitch, not studying journalism. ;)

It's a ludicrous statement by the ref-baiting oaf. Not only because Spanish teams often do try and kick Messi off the ball, and fail, but because Messi has also been honed in the Argentina national team and the Copa America, which can hardly be accused of being soft.

I dont think Andy Gray is dumb enough to say this. If he did, then it is way off the mark. Messi can play, shine and win matches on his own in any league. He is really strong on the ball.

He need not even prove it to anyone. He will run through the whole stoke defense and pass the ball back in the net. He is that talented. This talk of "He didn't prove against English sides, He didn't prove in premier league" is ridiculous. Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo and many greats have played only in Serie A and La liga and considered among THE BEST players. Dont know why use different yard stick for Messi.

Played well in La Liga, Champions league, Had decent world cup, Ran through entire Brazillian defence to score the winner few months back.

p.s I hate Barca and players. But to put down Messi's talent and his achievements is getting ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czrpvQTQV8w
Messi v Man Utd

He barely made runs, and when he does he got tackled. Even by Rooney one time.
The only time he got past the defence while running was when he was up against a rather slow Rio.
your joking right, are you blind he destroyed the defense, and he ddnt make many runs because he was playing as a team. and when he got tackled by 3 united players, he still got the ball and kept on playing but ref called it a foul. i think you cant see anything or you dont understand the game

your joking right, are you blind he destroyed the defense, and he ddnt make many runs because he was playing as a team. and when he got tackled by 3 united players, he still got the ball and kept on playing but ref called it a foul. i think you cant see anything or you dont understand the game

I dont know which video was that, as i cannot watch it in office, but Messi never destroyed our defense.

If you are talking about 2007-08, we destroyed them counter attacking and creating much more chances than them.

If it was 2008-09 finals, then it was Xavi and Iniesta who destroyed us. No one else.

Back