• Replies Replies 158
  • Views Views 14K

Do you think Andy Gray is right?

• Yes, I agree with him

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No, what the f**k is he saying?

Votes: 34 68.0%

• Total voters
That reason being the tax rate for high earners in Spain is way more favourable than it is in the UK.

No, it's because that's the Spanish style of play and the technically gifted players want to go there. Also because of the language, the great Latin American players all want to play in Spain for that reason. The weather and the girls probably don't hurt either.

The only reason there is lots of (raw athletic) quality in the Prem is because of the wages there, mostly due to foreign ownership, that attract the top players from other leagues. If you there was a no foreign player rule we all know what the Premiership would look like.

I agree with the end part, but nine times out of ten, I would pick a Spanish sie over an English one. Valencia got a result at Old Trafford at Old Trafford as well, and were holding United off for the most part of the game, as well as having a massive chance to go ahead, but squandered it.
yeah they drew, united remained unbeaten. you can say 9/10 you would pick the spanish, but they dont win 9/10 vs the english. preference doesnt change the balance

yeah they drew, united remained unbeaten. you can say 9/10 you would pick the spanish, but they dont win 9/10 vs the english. preference doesnt change the balance

I know that, but Valencia were not a team who Spurs would 'wipe the floor with', are they?

Very misleading title.

I agree with this to a certain extent. No doubt Messi would still be one of the worlds best if he was plying his trade in the EPL. The problem is that he won't be as effective as he is in La Liga. He would be closed down all over the place, not to mention the Premiership is played at a much faster pace than La Liga.

Not so much the battering he will get from defenders. If anyone watched any of the Argentina games when qualifying for the WC I wouldn't be surprised if the opposition were sent out to break his legs. That side of the game he can handle. Adapting to the pace of the Premier League would be the more challenging aspect in my opinion.

Very misleading title.

I agree with this to a certain extent. No doubt Messi would still be one of the worlds best if he was plying his trade in the EPL. The problem is that he won't be as effective as he is in La Liga. He would be closed down all over the place, not to mention the Premiership is played at a much faster pace than La Liga.

Not so much the battering he will get from defenders. If anyone watched any of the Argentina games when qualifying for the WC I wouldn't be surprised if the opposition were sent out to break his legs. That side of the game he can handle. Adapting to the pace of the Premier League would be the more challenging aspect in my opinion.
if silva is anything to go by, i think he would settle quite quickly, they have similar styles and tempraments, with messi being better obviously. i think his role would change a bit too, playing as a decoy more often than in la liga to create space for others

I agree with the end part, but nine times out of ten, I would pick a Spanish sie over an English one. Valencia got a result at Old Trafford at Old Trafford as well, and were holding United off for the most part of the game, as well as having a massive chance to go ahead, but squandered it.

if my memory serve me well, i would say united were the better team

messi is certainly no connor wickham but i'm sure he could take 90 minutes against stoke. Although in fairness it depends who he was playing for, if it was barcelona he would completely destroy them but if he was playing for a premier league team it could be a different story.. I think that's what andy gray is trying to get across - nonetheless a stupidly hypothetical scenario.

*cough*

No, it's because that's the Spanish style of play and the technically gifted players want to go there. Also because of the language, the great Latin American players all want to play in Spain for that reason. The weather and the girls probably don't hurt either.

The only reason there is lots of (raw athletic) quality in the Prem is because of the wages there, mostly due to foreign ownership, that attract the top players from other leagues. If you there was a no foreign player rule we all know what the Premiership would look like.

Our wages don't attract top players from other leagues........... Due to the really high rates of tax in the UK.

If you think a lot of top players are going to play in Spain purely for footballing reasons you need to stop having such faith in the modern day footballer. There are notable exceptions like Kaka. Although it has backfired spectaculalry, he chose to go and be the final piece in Real's jigsaw over the big money offered by Man City.

Once again this will be thread: Ronaldo vs Messi.. oO)

But they wouldn't, that was my point. To say the Prem would wipe the floor with them is ridiculous.

honestly the top 8 matches or so would be close with IMO the prem just sneeking it but the other 12 matches IMO i think will be dominated by english clubs as i belive the bottom clubs in england are alot stronger than the bottom clubs in la liga

Goal.com needs to be shut down! besides messi will always be better than ronaldo because he's smarter...just think about it :)

Explain..

Just because Ronaldo did well in the Premier League doesn't mean Messi will.. They are completely different players. Plus this debate is about the physical side of the game, Ronaldo is to say the least a tank.. Messi is hardly of the same stature.. Ronaldo was build to be able to cope with the English game, Messi was set up for the Spanish game you can hardly make a comparison based on them both playing in Spain and Messi being "better" which I also don't agree with.

What on earth is that supposed to mean.

Also, with all the La Liga vs. SPL comparisons (thank god no one has done that in this thread), people have a very short memory. For most of the 00's England had the big 4, who could do very well in the Champions League (also because their style of play fit it very well), and the rest of the league was terrible. No other teams had a serious shot at making the top 4, even Villa was never really going to do it. La Liga however, always had lots of depth and several different teams challenging for the Champions League. In 08-09 La Liga had 6 Champions League teams! There was Barca, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid; and Villareal (who equaled ManU in two games in the CL that season) and Valencia (very good team that season) couldn't qualify for the 09-10 Champions League. Now maybe the top 4 were equivalent to the English top 4, but after that La Liga was much better.

Over the last two seasons things have changed, Liverpool fell off and Man City and Tottenham improved drastically, but that only started last season. As for the Spanish teams, the ones outside of the top 2 have struggled a lot recently, especially for financial reasons (eg Valencia had to sell Silva and Villa). But to be honest I think that has more to do with the depth of Spain...look at Atletico Madrid, they have a quality side full of internationals yet they've struggled a lot in the league in the last two seasons, it's because there are no easy games.

People say the same thing about the Prem but I think that's just because the top teams aren't as good as they used to be. Chelsea's core is way too old and they they don't have quality bench players other than unproven young guys (I didn't think they'd be serious title challengers this year and was surprised when they started off so well), ManU hasn't been the same since CR left (especially when Rooney isn't having the season of his life like he did last year), and Arsenal just doesn't have the depth to cope with all of the injuries they incur in the Rugby Premier League. ManCity needs a lot more time to gel and I think Tottenham is overrated. I don't know what to think of Liverpool. IMO this is why these teams struggle against the lower tier teams.

Back