Michael Essien 'horror' tackle on Pennant

Do you think it was worthy of:

• Total voters
You could do that with most tackles and it would make them look horrible challenges and both feet don't actually make contact it just looks like it from that angle. There's is at least 1 of these a game.
That doesn't make it ok.
His intention was to go diving in two footed, studs showing. Obvious red card.

code red.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

hqdxdg.jpg

Definitely a red.

nearly the same like happen to poor ramsey. die essien

How that 'challenge' if you can even call it that can be defended is beyond me. Gerrard's on Carrick back in January was nowhere near as bad but even that was a definite red.

Agreed with the masses. Straight red on intent alone.

So you got the answer you were looking for.

It was clear red. Two footed, jumped like a mad man. Pity ref missed it. Not the first time mind. Essien was always very dirty player. Just that he was so good makes him less of a scape goat.

Essien foot made contact with pennant, at the same time Pennant leg was not planted. So you can cleary see Pennant leg was moved to left when Essien made contact. Had it been planted then it would have been another broken leg case.

Don't get me wrong it's a bad challenge without a doubt. The thing that annoys me was he rolled around for 5 seconds clutching his leg then got back up. The tackle was worth a red, but there was no need to dive around like that.

Don't get me wrong it's a bad challenge without a doubt. The thing that annoys me was he rolled around for 5 seconds clutching his leg then got back up. The tackle was worth a red, but there was no need to dive around like that.

That was a dive? I'm sure he was in some pain when Essien caught his leg with studds up..

Essien clearly made a contact and i bet no player in the world would have stood ground after that tackle.

Last edited:
That was a dive? I'm sure he was in some pain when Essien caught his leg with studds up..

Essien clearly made a contact and i bet no player in the world would have stood ground after that tackle.

Tell that to Chuck Norris when he plays football in his spare time. I think he would disagree.
But no, Bad tackle, Deserves a red, didn't get one.
Suppose we can start saying Chelsea gets all the decisions there way? Like what people think happens with Man Utd.

A dive is different to making the most out of an actual foul, just saying - he isn't suggesting Pennant made the whole thing up.. (Not that I agree what he is saying..)

Looks like Essien pulls out if it at the end, so even though the pictures show him making contact with two feet off the ground, I'm not sure he would have broken his leg.. Maybe it's the quality of the video, though, I don't know.

Either way, two feet off the ground and studs up into the side of someone's ankle is a red card all day long. How he got away without even a yellow is ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Tell that to Chuck Norris when he plays football in his spare time. I think he would disagree.
But no, Bad tackle, Deserves a red, didn't get one.
Suppose we can start saying Chelsea gets all the decisions there way? Like what people think happens with Man Utd.

Was that in any way necessary? You've had your say re: the red card without just trying to start an argument. Grow up.

Agree this should have been a red card, I'm a huge Chelsea fan and I love Essien - he is a tough player, and he knows better than that.

Red all day long, even though picked a "tamer" angle

How that 'challenge' if you can even call it that can be defended is beyond me. Gerrard's on Carrick back in January was nowhere near as bad but even that was a definite red.

exactly, as i was saying to you earlier, its the clearest red of its kind we've seen this season

Definetly should of been a staright red card, dived in with both feet of the ground there was no need for it to be honest.

Clearest red card of the season by a long long long shot...

Definitely a red. It's been said earlier, but studs out, off the ground, nowhere near the ball = red. I don't think the ref saw much though, due to his angle, but the linesmen should've spotted it. Absolutely disgusting.

Clear red, shocking tackle. Looks like 15 people are dillusional. and how can 2 people think it was a godd challenge?

Who on earth are the people who reckon it was a clean tackle?

It becomes a two footed challenge because he has to move his standing foot off the ground to prevent himself from being injured... the tackle clearly looks bad, but he does it to prevent injury.

I think this tackle was even worse than De Jongs on Ben Arfa. I think Pennant here was lucky not to get an injury. And that Ben Arfa was a bit unlucky :(

But this is a clear red.

Last edited: