Modric claims deal to leave Spurs

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 189
  • Views Views 9K
even if you read what modric says about the so called gentelmens agreement it has to be good enough for club and player. yes it ok for modric to go yes i want to leave, but the offer of only 22m compared to what certin players like jordan henderson was brought for after a good season at best. Modric has been a consistant player since he has joined the premier leauge and to only offer 22m compared to what other players have been sold for is beyond a joke. what we should do (tottenham) is sell modric abroad or keep him at the club, this then shows that we wont give into peer pressure and wont sell to rival clubs.

that 22m offer was a starting offer where both Chelsea and Spurs could negotiate from, obviously we wont be putting in a bid of 35m right away... and whats the point of keeping an unhappy player at the club anyways plus Modric has stated that he wants to play in the PLM and no club from abroad has shown any real interest

No point keeping an unhappy player, Tottenham need to learn theyre not as big as they think they are and lets be honest, the funds they could get from Modric could strengthen their team in several places.

I always consider it ironic when a Newcastle fan says something like that.

Alcaraz said:
I know that Spurs fans like Billy do not mind selling Modric and understand his reasons for wanting a move to Chelsea

Actually, I do mind, as I would much rather keep our best player (obviously), but I understand his motivation for leaving and will still give him a good reception should he move, especially if we hold onto him this season and he gets his head down and performs well until next summer.

Actually, I do mind, as I would much rather keep our best player (obviously), but I understand his motivation for leaving and will still give him a good reception should he move, especially if we hold onto him this season and he gets his head down and performs well until next summer.

the real problem is that suppose he has a bad season and then maybe Chelsea wont want him next summer cos we have signed somebody else, not saying this will def happen but its always a risk, lets be frank we need reinforcements in our midfield are urgently now that Essien has been ruled out for the whole season so we are not going to wait until next summer, we will probably look at other targets if this deal does not materialize

And I am sure Man Utd will get in a replacement too

And yes what I meant was that you understood his reasons for wanting to leave cos i saw a post you made on some thread :)

Genuinely don't think Chelsea are as big a club compared to Tottenham as some people are making out. Remember, Tottenham haven't gone out and splashed the cash [as much as Chelsea, City etc.] to get to where they are now, yet at one point last season, they were considered title challengers. I reckon if they kept hold of Modric, Bale etc. & Signed the right players, they could easily be back in the top 4 next year [I say easily, but it'll be anything but easy with like 6 teams trying to get in the top 4].

Also, I reckon Tottenham have a lot more potential than Chelsea, partly due to the fact they have solid owners, and one of the best chairman in the business.

that 22m offer was a starting offer where both Chelsea and Spurs could negotiate from, obviously we wont be putting in a bid of 35m right away... and whats the point of keeping an unhappy player at the club anyways plus Modric has stated that he wants to play in the PLM and no club from abroad has shown any real interest

but even before the 22m bid we faxed all intrested party's that were looking at modric includeing utd city and chelsea inter milan aswell who also were looking at him that we would not be selling him at any price, where as abramovic decided to ignore our request and went in for the 22m offer for luka, this obviously shows that he attempted to unsettle luka and made him want to come out a speak publicly in joining chelsea. so techinincly you have breached some rules in the f.a and it would be classed as tapping up.

Do you get delusion free with your home shirt? Since Mike Ashley no Newcastle fan with any sense expects anything. Every toon fan I spoke to about last season expected us to go down. Every spurs fan that opened their trap (which was btw, all of them, all of the time) expected to be in the top 2, were already rubbing it in Arsenals faces, and were expecting world class players to be on their way to WHL. Im still pinching myself that we managed to convince Cabaye and HBA to sign for us, you're angry that Modric (whos been with you silently for years, could of moved on ages ago) now wants to go to a big club.

Genuinely don't think Chelsea are as big a club compared to Tottenham as some people are making out. Remember, Tottenham haven't gone out and splashed the cash [as much as Chelsea, City etc.] to get to where they are now, yet at one point last season, they were considered title challengers. I reckon if they kept hold of Modric, Bale etc. & Signed the right players, they could easily be back in the top 4 next year [I say easily, but it'll be anything but easy with like 6 teams trying to get in the top 4].

Also, I reckon Tottenham have a lot more potential than Chelsea, partly due to the fact they have solid owners, and one of the best chairman in the business.

Fact is that they signed VDV last summer yet they failed to get into the top 4... they were hardly ever considered title challengers lets not start to magnify club seasons now and what you are saying is that Tottenham can easily be back in the top 4 with the right signings, another fact is that if Tottenham move into the top 4, either Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal will drop out and I cant see that happening unless someone completely loses the plot while we next season wont be worrying about top 4 finish but would be looking to challenge for the title and CL title which we have enough quality to win while Spurs would probably be looking to get into the top 4 which they dont have that great a chance of on paper atleast

And just because Spurs have a good chairman does not mean tha they suddenly have a lot more potential than us, agreed there finances are solid and so is their team but man to man our team is better than Spurs and although our Chairman is trigger-happy, he loves the club and is willing to spend money on us

Now I can see this discussion going to the FFP area so I am just going to say that we started the trimming down a couple of years ago and I feel we can qualify for the FFP, just but we can qualify as Platini spoke to Roman after our 70m splash in January and apparently after the meeting he did not make too big a fuss which means that he understood Roman has plans to make us meet the FFP while allowing us to spend

the real problem is that suppose he has a bad season and then maybe Chelsea wont want him next summer cos we have signed somebody else, not saying this will def happen but its always a risk, lets be frank we need reinforcements in our midfield are urgently now that Essien has been ruled out for the whole season so we are not going to wait until next summer, we will probably look at other targets if this deal does not materialize

Why would that be a problem? I'd rather keep him.

but even before the 22m bid we faxed all intrested party's that were looking at modric includeing utd city and chelsea inter milan aswell who also were looking at him that we would not be selling him at any price, where as abramovic decided to ignore our request and went in for the 22m offer for luka, this obviously shows that he attempted to unsettle luka and made him want to come out a speak publicly in joining chelsea. so techinincly you have breached some rules in the f.a and it would be classed as tapping up.

oh please how did we breach any rules... we did not speak to Modric without your permission or something, thats classifeid as tapping up.. yes we did attempt to unsettle Modric and we are not honourable in our dealings at all but we hardly breach any rule , we probably breach ethical and moral laws but in the world of business, such laws count for little to men like Roman and if what your saying is true that you sent a fax to every club then thats just a sign of weakness on ur part and Levy just showed the hand he was playing to Roman

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Why would that be a problem? I'd rather keep him.

well if you lot do not qualify for the CL next year then he will defo push for a move and we are hardly going to wait till next summer, if he does not come I expect we will looking to bring in other midfielders right away and then maybe the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd etc. wont be so interested in him anymore

Then there is also the fact that he wants a move apparently, pretty sure he will get his head down and play well even if the move does not materialize but whenever a player has his heart set on a move, if I was Levy I would try to maximize every pund I could from the deal and let him go and then look for replacements

Last edited:
Modric shouldn't have signed a contract extension if he wanted to leave. If he wanted a clause so he could leave for CL football, then he should have requested that. I'm ******* sick of players not honouring their contracts.

yes agreed about trying to squeeze every pound possible for the deal and about playing despite the move as VDV sed he was happy to play and train for us but he also admied that it is hard to ignore intrest from more reputable clubs just the his ajax- real madrid transfer. but the way luka has come out to the press has been a ****** idiotic ideal as he now has put us on the stonger foot after his sulk. and this is why:

Public Statements
8. A statement made publicly by or on behalf of a Club expressing interest in acquiring the registration of a Contract Player or by a Contract Player expressing interest in transferring his registration to another Club (or club) shall in either case be treated as an indirect approach.

so if the f.a see fit they can say that 'tapping up' was used by chelsea in oder to sign modric it plays out in both hand but it all depends of how you read and see it.

Modric shouldn't have signed a contract extension if he wanted to leave. If he wanted a clause so he could leave for CL football, then he should have requested that. I'm ******* sick of players not honouring their contracts.

he had a 'gentlemans' agreement with Levy that if a bigger club comes for him, Spurs would allow him to go before he signed the contract, its not his fault Levy is giving a twisted version of events to the media and not honouring their agreement

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

yes agreed about trying to squeeze every pound possible for the deal and about playing despite the move as VDV sed he was happy to play and train for us but he also admied that it is hard to ignore intrest from more reputable clubs just the his ajax- real madrid transfer. but the way luka has come out to the press has been a ****** idiotic ideal as he now has put us on the stonger foot after his sulk. and this is why:

Public Statements
8. A statement made publicly by or on behalf of a Club expressing interest in acquiring the registration of a Contract Player or by a Contract Player expressing interest in transferring his registration to another Club (or club) shall in either case be treated as an indirect approach.

so if the f.a see fit they can say that 'tapping up' was used by chelsea in oder to sign modric it plays out in both hand but it all depends of how you read and see it.

agree with this post but Spurs are not on the stronger foot at all, infact Chelsea are in the driving seat, check above posts by me...... honestly if this deal falls through I wont be too fussed, there are other players around but the Chelsea Board have identified Modric along with AVB so thats who is at the top of our list currently

absolutely spot on mate... players should honour their contracts and leave or sign a new contract at end of there current one.

agree with this post but Spurs are not on the stronger foot at all, infact Chelsea are in the driving seat, check above posts by me...... honestly if this deal falls through I wont be too fussed, there are other players around but the Chelsea Board have identified Modric along with AVB so thats who is at the top of our list currently[/QUOTE]

i agree about what your saying but the stronger club who is in the driving seat as i sed before all depends oh how you see it to be honest . i wouldnt mind if modric did go if we could replace him with someone like pjanic from lyon, but its the way that this has been pushed around the press and the way that modric has come out into the press n started shouting his mouth off. all he had to do was go yes chelsea intrest's me but at the moment i am happy where i am but would like to talk to levy if there was any chance a deal could be done, and what's the minimum fee tottenham would accept like 38.5m that bein the gentlemen's agreement but instead its all gone and blew up in his face more than anyone elses and have made himslef look like a spoil arragont C**T

Are you serious?? We are living for the moment and at this moment Chelsea are a better team than Spurs and thats a fact. Splashing the cash is irrelivent, Chelsea are a better club end ov. And the owner thing again how many times!!!! Roman Abramovich has "LOANED" money to Chelsea FC and if he decides he wants to pull out funding the club its in his best interest to find a buyer that can pay him his money back either straight away or in installments.

Please stay at Spurs Modric.

You will cripple Chelsea if you come for Levys asking price, sign Moutinho Roman!

I'm a silent voice of sanity in this saga, why can't I be an 'advisor' to Roman?

If Emenalo and Grant can get that gig why can't I?

Last edited:
absolutely spot on mate... players should honour their contracts and leave or sign a new contract at end of there current one.

But people in all walks of life leave their jobs to get another job for more money and ambitions?? Modric has never said i will stay here forever, Spurs offered him the new contract he would be a fool not to sign it. If i have a part time job as a cleaner contracted for 6months and then after them 6months they give me the job perminatly but then 3 months into my new contract i get offered a job working in an office full time and double what im on them im going to take it.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Please stay at Spurs Modric.

You will cripple Chelsea if you come for Levys asking price, sign Moutinho Roman!

I'm a silent voice of sanity of the saga, why can't I be an 'advisor' to Roman?

If Emenalo and Grant can get that gig why can't I?

Although Moutinho is a good player he dosent have PL expirience and he may need a bedding in period and Boas cant have players that need to take time because we need to get out the blocks straight away. Modric has alot of PL expirience and also knows what its like to live in London, he also speaks English which is a big thing for Boas.

But people in all walks of life leave their jobs to get another job for more money and ambitions?? Modric has never said i will stay here forever, Spurs offered him the new contract he would be a fool not to sign it. If i have a part time job as a cleaner contracted for 6months and then after them 6months they give me the job perminatly but then 3 months into my new contract i get offered a job working in an office full time and double what im on them im going to take it.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Although Moutinho is a good player he dosent have PL expirience and he may need a bedding in period and Boas cant have players that need to take time because we need to get out the blocks straight away. Modric has alot of PL expirience and also knows what its like to live in London, he also speaks English which is a big thing for Boas.

Very true but if in your contract you signed a time period as it is in professional sport... then your contract has been agreed and set....your services are owned by the owner of the contract...

Thats why there such things as release clauses... or in the corparate world they known as penalty clauses.. which means if you want to break contact you are entitled to do so but must pay the penalty fee.... so you see not as simple as you make it sound

Very true but if in your contract you signed a time period as it is in professional sport... then your contract has been agreed and set....your services are owned by the owner of the contract...

Thats why there such things as release clauses... or in the corparate world they known as penalty clauses.. which means if you want to break contact you are entitled to do so but must pay the penalty fee.... so you see not as simple as you make it sound

English football has never really embrassed the release clause hence why teams pay over the odds in the PL for other PL teams players. If Modric asked for one then he would be the only player to have one in England so it dosent really make sence. I personly think they should be used all over the globe but England just dont like them.

Chelsea really aren't bigger than Spurs. Currently, however, they have a much bigger chance of winning trophies.

I never said we were bigger?? I said better, but saying that i wouldnt say we are much smaller than Spurs and im not even sure we would even be smaller now come to think of it.

Back