More Than A Club: Emulating Barca's Philosophy

Tats one **** of a season you had :) ya trow up a few more screen shots of the first 11 in your main tactic and the other for the 4-2-3-1 if your able man

Wow!
That is on **** season you had, must be some FM record?! Zero goals conceded?! WTF!

Was trying this one as mentioned with Blackburn but didnt find it consistent at all. Maybe because lack of good players etc.

Will def try it again!

Do you have any team recommendation lower leagues in england. Want to build a strong team from the beginning!

cheers

I've found it to be an excellent tactic with Forest. I was hovering around the Europa League places and never getting much further than the group stages. As soon as I threw these tactics in the mix everything changed. I won the league and the Europa league straight away. In my next season I'm top of the league after winning the first 8 games and conceding no goals. After a small blip I'm still top after 15 games. Second in my Champion's League group after Barcelona, qualified with two games to go (other teams were Zenit and Panathanikos). I've found that it really helps to use the following shouts at the start of the match:

- retain posession
- pass to feet
- play out of defence
- look for overlap
- work ball in to the box
- hassle opponents.

Shaun, terrific results. Amazing job you've done. And yeah, if that's not bother, you definitely should post your first team, so we can see what attributes to look in a player.

Great job in that season mate! Perfect season.

I was wondering on how was your possession ratio during all those games. I know you have an highly strong team to play with this philosophy but should be interesting to see your opinion, thoughts and results in that area. At least for me :)

I will post up some screen shots when I load up the save. It seems that I had a perfect circumstances for the season, all of my best 11 were aged 23-30 (bar 19yo wonderkid) and I had very few injuries throughout the season so I was able to keep my best 11 most of the time.

Jukilo - I actually went back through all the games and analysed different aspects. Averaged around 65% at home, with a max of 73%. Away from home it was around 60%. The only game all season we had less possession was away to Atletico Madrid, where it was a 52/48 split. Throughout the whole season I only allowed the opposition 7 CCCs, whilst creating 3 CCCs on average per game.

Key things I think helped my success - Every outfield had very good pace/acceleration as you will see from the screen shots later. De Bruyne was the slowest player in the first 11, with 15/16. Also, both my central midfielders were very strong defensively, with 15/16+ attributes in key defensive areas.

However, in the next season I've not been quite as good, had a bit of an injury crisis / sold players and conceded 6 goals by November, losing two games as well!

Loved your Sacchi 442 Sean (best tactic so far imo) so thought I'd give this a whirl on my Dortmund save.

Thinking of lining up like this

Code:
SK: Leno

RB: Peruzzi
CB: Hummels
CB: Subotic/Marquinhos
LB: Schmelzer

BWM: Bender/Rode
DLP: Gundogan/Sahin
AM: Leitner
RW: Blaszczykowski
LW: Schurrle/Reus

Treq: Gotze/Volland

Last edited:
I will post up some screen shots when I load up the save. It seems that I had a perfect circumstances for the season, all of my best 11 were aged 23-30 (bar 19yo wonderkid) and I had very few injuries throughout the season so I was able to keep my best 11 most of the time.

Jukilo - I actually went back through all the games and analysed different aspects. Averaged around 65% at home, with a max of 73%. Away from home it was around 60%. The only game all season we had less possession was away to Atletico Madrid, where it was a 52/48 split. Throughout the whole season I only allowed the opposition 7 CCCs, whilst creating 3 CCCs on average per game.

Key things I think helped my success - Every outfield had very good pace/acceleration as you will see from the screen shots later. De Bruyne was the slowest player in the first 11, with 15/16. Also, both my central midfielders were very strong defensively, with 15/16+ attributes in key defensive areas.

However, in the next season I've not been quite as good, had a bit of an injury crisis / sold players and conceded 6 goals by November, losing two games as well!

Sean, was this with the 4-2-3-1 v2?

Sean, was this with the 4-2-3-1 v2?

I'd say around 70% the original 4-3-3, with 30% the 4-2-3-1, for when i was struggling to score (if 0-0 after 30 mins I switched). Also once I was 2-0 up, or in the last 15 at 1-0 I would switch from Attacking to Control.

Loved your Sacchi 442 Sean (best tactic so far imo) so thought I'd give this a whirl on my Dortmund save.

Thinking of lining up like this

Code:
SK: Leno

RB: Peruzzi
CB: Hummels
CB: Subotic/Marquinhos
LB: Schmelzer

BWM: Bender/Rode
DLP: Gundogan/Sahin
AM: Leitner
RW: Blaszczykowski
LW: Schurrle/Reus

Treq: Gotze/Volland

That team should be beastly with this, will be interesting to see how Gotze does.

Amazing results you've had!! I would like to try this with a small country team that develops great regens. Out of Celtic, Ajax, PSV, which would you recommend?

Sean I've another question for you. When you want to teach a certain PPM to a player and if the assistant or coach doesn't think it is a good idea, do you insist on it? I mean for this philosophy it is highly recommended that kind of micro manage and assistant manager or coaches not always think this is a good idea for a player..

Sean I've another question for you. When you want to teach a certain PPM to a player and if the assistant or coach doesn't think it is a good idea, do you insist on it? I mean for this philosophy it is highly recommended that kind of micro manage and assistant manager or coaches not always think this is a good idea for a player..

Go ahead and train them to whatever you think mate. In worst case anyways the player just wont learn the move so not a big deal. But most ive trained without assistant wanting to the player has learned anyways unless hes too old etc. :)

Cheers. That was always a doubt that I have. Will take that into further consideration.

Looks like a great tactic, am going to give it a go! I'd be interested in seeing some screenshots of your key players, especially your striker.

Sean, could you provide good examples for the Treq role or put SS from your team? Now in Liverpool (after I quit Spurs, in 3rd season) I've Aspas and Luis Alberto to play upfront and I change to "ball to feet".

Also I've Coutinho, Yarmolenko, Sturridge, Lennon and Sterling. Coutinho is the AML (due to his "cut inside" PPM) and Lennon or Yarmolenko play at AMR.

Cork and Allen are my DLP's and Gerrard/young regen are the AP's. Bender and Jali are the Anchor man's.
Do you change anything to this? Start to teach some PPM's to players.

Can anyone recommend few teams to try out this, except obvious ones (Barsa, L'pool, Swansea)? Would love some other English Prem/Champ side...

Has anyone come up with a tactic to dominate possession like Barca do in real life ? I play 'attacking' at home & 'control' away from home but don't dominate possession the way I'd like.

Other settings:

Passing - Shorter
Creative Freedom - More Expressive ( Xavi, Iniesta, Messi all maxed)
Closing Down - Press more
Tackling - Default
Marking - Zonal
Crosses - Drill
More roaming
Passing Focus - Mixed
D Line, Width, Tempo are all on default settings. The playing style is on Balanced but I'm thinking of changing to Fluid.

The Line up is

Sweeper keeper - Support - ter Stegen
R Wing Back - Attack- Alves / Montoya
Ball Playing CB - Pique / Bartra / Song
Centre Back - Puyol / Mascherano
L Wing Back - Attack - Alba
Anchor Man - Busquets / Song
Deep Playmaker - Support - Xavi / Fabregas
Advanced Playmaker - Support - Iniesta / Thiago
R Inside Fwd - Pedro / Tello / Deulofeu
L Inside Fwd - Villa / Neymar
Trequartista - Messi / Neymar / Rafinha

Only Messi has run with ball set to often, Inside fwds & Wing backs sometimes, everyone else rarely.
Messi, Xavi, Iniesta & Pique have through balls set to often, Inside fwds sometimes, everyone else rare.

Results so far have been good ( Just played up to the 1st champs league game in the 1st season). Away from home I don't keep possession anywhere near as well as at home. At home its been about 60/40 in my favour, away it's been more like 50/50 with the exception of Getafe away. The worst so far have been At. Madrid, 54/46 in their favour in a 1-1 draw & Real away 52/48 although I won 2-0.

i have to say im loving this tac so far im into the year 2025 on my barnsley save and after geting them to the prem in my first season still dont know how the **** i that i gave your 442 a go in my first seaon and came 15th wich i was more than happy with i tryed another tac for my 2nd season in the prem and came 7th so i have slowly been geting better and never been below 7th been to a few europ cup finales never won it been to 2 cl semi finals won 3 capital 1 cups and a fa cup but nerver the prem been close came 2nd a couple of time and you would not belive some of the player i have sigend i still amased myself how i got them but the point is last season i gave your 442 another go and won the prem happy days but this season im giving this a go and all i can say is wow im top at the mo and its allmost dec still in all of the cups so i have to say very well done with this new tac i know its a bit long but there you thanks again man for making 2 very good tac