More Than A Club: Emulating Barca's Philosophy

Was/am using Liverpool. Should be a decent side to test possession football! I became so frustrated by the fact the team is unable to find a space in the final third nor is able to actually finish one of their 20-30+ shots. ><

The problem with a patient, possession game is that it allows the opposition to get organised defensively, so there simply aren't the spaces in the final third. Tiki-Taka aims to draw out players from their position, but that seems to happen less often in this match engine. Having said that by going a little less tiki-taka but keeping a lot of the key principles, it is possible to play a high tempo possession game whilst creating chances and being successful, providing you have 2 or 3 approaches you can use during a game.

The tactics on the OP are up to date bar some very small tweaks which I will update shortly (they are on another laptop).
No prob will wait for the updated version mate. Really like the tactic, I just think it is hard to fine a decent trequartista, especially when you may have a decent advanced forward or complete forward in your team.

No prob will wait for the updated version mate. Really like the tactic, I just think it is hard to fine a decent trequartista, especially when you may have a decent advanced forward or complete forward in your team.

I agree its difficult to find a great treq, but the way the tactic and instructions are setup so that they operate much more like a complete forward. A player with good pace (for the run onto ball) and decent all round stats should be good enough. I was using Siebe Schrijvers and Christian Benteke there and they both did well, particularly Schrijvers who broke all sorts of goalscoring records.

I actually also found out that the/a key for a successful possession tactic in this engine requires a high tempo!

Get your own thread please.

In response to your first post, both of the tactics uploaded are needed. The 4-3-3 is the base tactic, with 4-2-3-1 used if you are struggling to break down the opposition.

Also, Cruyff & Beckenbauer never played in the same team nor 4-4-2. The dutch total football was a 4-3-3.
i no its just the players ive modeled my 442 on thats alll not saying german and dutch style saying becken&crujff walking style of play , u no the style were u seem to have an unlimited time on ball, the masters of the snails pace type of football

I actually also found out that the/a key for a successful possession tactic in this engine requires a high tempo!

In order to draw players out of position using short passing you need to play at a high tempo. Barca will play at a slow tempo recycling possession until then change to a high tempo to penetrate. Unfortunately I think changes in tempo are hard to replicate on FM.

In order to draw players out of position using short passing you need to play at a high tempo. Barca will play at a slow tempo recycling possession until then change to a high tempo to penetrate. Unfortunately I think changes in tempo are hard to replicate on FM.
It's glad to have you back posting. :p Clearly you are way levels ahead of me. I hope to get the chance to discuss with you further in future tactics to enchance my knowledge. Would love to see more of your future projects.

Yeah, you would need the ppm " dictates tempo"

It's glad to have you back posting. :p Clearly you are way levels ahead of me. I hope to get the chance to discuss with you further in future tactics to enchance my knowledge. Would love to see more of your future projects.

Just my observations from watching Barca - was lucky enough to have Sky and live with a Barca supporter in my uni house last year so I saw most of their games last season. I think I may have one more 'project' before FM14, not sure what it'll be yet as I've fiddled around with a few.

Yeah, you would need the ppm " dictates tempo"

Yes definitely an important PPM, taught it to all my MCs at Genk. The difficult part is being able to change the tempo mid-match without having to switch tactics.

I'm giving these tactics a run out with my Nott Forest team (4 seasons in - finished 6th in EPL, in EURO Cup, good team with recently cleared out deadwood and a raft of promising youngsters).

I'll let you know how it goes a bit further down the line, but it seems to be working pretty well so far. A few apparently ground out results early on but have picked up now (In November) highlights were a 2-0 win over Arsenal, a 3-2 win over Man Utd and a hugely impressive 6-0 over Werder Bremen in the Europa League. Have the occasional bad game though. Lost 1-0 to Wolves (****** park the bus teams) and a bit of a 5-2 spanking by Chelsea. Perhaps some tweaking is still required on my part. I need to look at the way I approach games where I'm clearly the underdog, and more importantly how to break down those infuriating Sam Allardyce style teams.

EDIT: I just double checked, and Big Sam is actually managing Wolves in my save. What an insatiably annoying man he is.

Last edited:
How should i play Andy Carroll in this tactic? can't get him to score

I'm sorry if it has been posted before, but which opposition instructions and shouts are you using? Doesn't it really matter?

Well I've just had my most successful season ever on Football Manager. I've been trying out different tweaks but found my original creation to be much more effective, providing that the 4-2-3-1 is used when struggling to break down and switching to control when you're 2-0 up. Also I work on attacking movement for games vs weaker opponents and defensive positioning for similar / better opponents. OIs left to a trustworthy assistant.

Summary: Belgian Pro League Winners, Belgian Cup Winners, Belgian Super Cup Winners, UEFA Super Cup Winners, Champions League Winners, Club World Championship Winners.

Games Played: 64 Games Won: 62 Games Drawn: 2 Goals Scored: 232 Goals Conceded: 0 (Yes Zero)

View attachment 474534View attachment 474535View attachment 474536View attachment 474537

Are there any screenshots people would like to see? Was thinking of posting up my best 11 as a guide towards players to each position.