Mr Houghs 4-1-2-3 Final Unbeaten

Mr Hough do you have any advice for the two cb's? I have two certain starters, one with a little more speed and aggression and the other with better stats in marking and positioning. For me it seems like the better marker would suit better in the support role or am i wrong?

My first save crashed after the match against the reserves, started up a new one and I'm just getting into the preseasonmatches. I've made quite a lot of signings against better judgement so I expect that the tactic and teamwork will take awhile to kick in, but on the other hand the players will fit into the system for the longterm.

Mr Hough do you have any advice for the two cb's? I have two certain starters, one with a little more speed and aggression and the other with better stats in marking and positioning. For me it seems like the better marker would suit better in the support role or am i wrong?

My first save crashed after the match against the reserves, started up a new one and I'm just getting into the preseasonmatches. I've made quite a lot of signings against better judgement so I expect that the tactic and teamwork will take awhile to kick in, but on the other hand the players will fit into the system for the longterm.
If you are gonna use the cover stopper system i don't think there is a right or wrong way to put the players because if you look at it this way.

Stopper: he could either have good pace and acceleration to quickly close on players or have good positioning and anticipation to help close gaps and shut out defenders.

Cover: again if he has good pace he drop abck and clear the balls over the top or through the middle or positioning skills to help him stay in position better.

I don't think there is any right or wrong way to have these players but a good all round defender will always be the best option as you cover all these issues.

Your CM and FB filter links don't appear to be working. When I click the download button, gives me an error saying the link is broken.

Can anyone upload the those two filters for me? Or Mr. Hough if you read this. I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Last edited:
What makes cover-stopper system so good?
well i think just about team one way or another use's this kind of system maybe not always the way i or other managers set it out of FM but in some way the system is there.

i think aswell if your playing a high defensive line it would be best to play both central defenders on the same mentality and play the offside trap, That way they will be able to stay in sync better.

If playing a deep defensive line having both defenders on the same mentality could work but with the offside trap off i think the defensive line being the same would be best because if you play the cover stopper then the cover is going to drop deeper and provide even more room for the oppsotion to play in.

so i think the cover stopper is best suited around the middle D-Line notch.as it provides good cover all round

If you are gonna use the cover stopper system i don't think there is a right or wrong way to put the players because if you look at it this way.

Stopper: he could either have good pace and acceleration to quickly close on players or have good positioning and anticipation to help close gaps and shut out defenders.

Cover: again if he has good pace he drop abck and clear the balls over the top or through the middle or positioning skills to help him stay in position better.

I don't think there is any right or wrong way to have these players but a good all round defender will always be the best option as you cover all these issues.

The defense has really worked flawlessly in preseason, with the stopper getting great ratings.
Rather poor opposition at first, but I beat Sunderland comfortably at home 4-2 and that is with a lot of new players.
I really wasn't expecting it to work this good so soon so I'm really looking forward to what this team can do with this tactic in the league.

First of all, big thanks to MrHough for a creating a tactic that is successful and generally consistent, the first tactic that i have downloaded which has held strong! Got Leeds (yes, fine, Leeds!:p) promoted to the Premiership in consecutive seasons, finishing 10th in 11-12, and have now been appointed as manager of AC.

However, 2 problems continuously pop up, first is the inability of forwards with bags of ability to score!!! (5/6 clear cut chances per game, no goals -.-, but probably not a fault with the tactic). Secondly, second half performances always seem to be considerably worsethan the first, e.g. winning 3-0 then drawing 3-3. Been using Wolfgang's teamtalks, but 70% of the time 2nd halves are nightmares! Ive tried switching from attacking to contain/counter/defensive and sometimes contain (in fact contain can sometimes worked wonders, producing 3-0 wins), but most of the time with no success.

But all in all, fantastic work MrHough!!!

First of all, big thanks to MrHough for a creating a tactic that is successful and generally consistent, the first tactic that i have downloaded which has held strong! Got Leeds (yes, fine, Leeds!:p) promoted to the Premiership in consecutive seasons, finishing 10th in 11-12, and have now been appointed as manager of AC.

However, 2 problems continuously pop up, first is the inability of forwards with bags of ability to score!!! (5/6 clear cut chances per game, no goals -.-, but probably not a fault with the tactic). Secondly, second half performances always seem to be considerably worsethan the first, e.g. winning 3-0 then drawing 3-3. Been using Wolfgang's teamtalks, but 70% of the time 2nd halves are nightmares! Ive tried switching from attacking to contain/counter/defensive and sometimes contain (in fact contain can sometimes worked wonders, producing 3-0 wins), but most of the time with no success.

But all in all, fantastic work MrHough!!!
With you mentioning that you switch the mentality I'm guessing that you use the Mr Hough/JP Woody collaboration tactic?

If so have a look at this. http://www.filefront.com/16470297/Mr-Hough-4-1-2-3-Unbeaten-Final-Version.-Arsenal-Oct-2009.tac/

That is my Unbeaten Classic version that JP converted into the wizard.

If your having trouble scoring it could be a number of things but probably the main ones could be the players attributes, when looking for strikers i always look for these. Pace. Finishing Composure Off The Ball.

Them 4 i think are the most important for the strikers in my tactic, I also have a look at a players anticipation and decision making this affects offsides so if you have a player with high anticipation and decision making he is less likely to get offside.

On my middlesbrough save i have signed Micheal Owen to spear head my attack in my first season in the premiership, After 10 games he has scored 8 goals, He has all the attributes i need apart from pace which i can be abit lax on because he has such high rating in the other stats.

regarding the second half performances it could well be that your players might be getting complacent in the second half, There are many ways that complacency can form in the team but the main one is being being pleased after a first half performance.

With me being boro and doing so well at the minute my assistant manager nearly always selects that we are pleased with the performance, I think this is stupid because you have to think about what the opposition will say. Now if you are winning and it's half-time the opposition manager is gonna fire up his team but if you say that your pleased with the performance it might give your players the impression that they can take the foot off the gas and that will let the opposition in because they will be fired up.

If you understand what i mean!

When i comes to my team i want them to give me 100% for 90+ minutes to make sure we get the result instead of half a result.

Any chance of getting a working version of the CM and FB filters? Don't mean to bother but I keep trying to download them and FileFront doesn't seem to be working on those two. No idea why. Tried multiple browsers just in case it was any addons I was using in Chrome.

Any chance of getting a working version of the CM and FB filters? Don't mean to bother but I keep trying to download them and FileFront doesn't seem to be working on those two. No idea why. Tried multiple browsers just in case it was any addons I was using in Chrome.

Yeah, this.

My forwards run very many times onto offside, what may be his reason?

Anyone struggling whilst using this tactic should NOT be playing FM, simple as that!

Hope your well MrHough

Hey gaz i'm very well thanks mate, Is the tactic still doing the job for you i remember it was when you where the mighty hammers.

Hey gaz i'm very well thanks mate, Is the tactic still doing the job for you i remember it was when you where the mighty hammers.

Funnily enough mate, had a bit of time on my hands so started a new West Ham game(after our real life start to the season i just wanted to see the Hammers win a game :'()

Came 6th in the first season(no corner cheat) but could easily have challenged for the title, somehow lost 13 games when actually only outplayed twice, this is the part of the game that has ended my love affair with FM, my four and a half star keeper(Ochoa) rarely made a save and 90% of goals conceded were down to gk and defensive errors, including standing still with the ball amongst others.

The game just does'nt reflect football anymore, all it does is follow a pattern devised in its making, so its a pointless exercise.

I did start season two and saw pretty much the same thing, 5 wins 3 draws and 4 losses when we should easily have won 10 of the games and the only game we were outplayed in i was missing all 7 of my first team midfield.

So thats me done for now..........................unless of course you release one more tactic, then i'm going to have to have just one more go! ;)

Just bought 2010 and am struggling a little in Conference North. Is there a Tactic that i can use on the original 10.0 version to download?

Just bought 2010 and am struggling a little in Conference North. Is there a Tactic that i can use on the original 10.0 version to download?
I have a few tactic for 10.0 that you can use, Or you could patch up to 10.3 and use this one?

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Funnily enough mate, had a bit of time on my hands so started a new West Ham game(after our real life start to the season i just wanted to see the Hammers win a game :'()

Came 6th in the first season(no corner cheat) but could easily have challenged for the title, somehow lost 13 games when actually only outplayed twice, this is the part of the game that has ended my love affair with FM, my four and a half star keeper(Ochoa) rarely made a save and 90% of goals conceded were down to gk and defensive errors, including standing still with the ball amongst others.

The game just does'nt reflect football anymore, all it does is follow a pattern devised in its making, so its a pointless exercise.

I did start season two and saw pretty much the same thing, 5 wins 3 draws and 4 losses when we should easily have won 10 of the games and the only game we were outplayed in i was missing all 7 of my first team midfield.

So thats me done for now..........................unless of course you release one more tactic, then i'm going to have to have just one more go! ;)
I have been working on a winger tactic for about a month now, So hard to get it right but i think i'm almost there.

It's a 4-2-2-2 formation with 2 DM's 2 Wingers and 2 Strikers.

Mr Hough if you could give me the one for 10.0 that works best that would be great. May upgrade it to 10.3 shortly also so if you could let me know what is best for that to that would be awesome. Sorry im new to all this if someone has already previously posted

Last edited:
I have a few tactic for 10.0 that you can use, Or you could patch up to 10.3 and use this one?

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

I have been working on a winger tactic for about a month now, So hard to get it right but i think i'm almost there.

It's a 4-2-2-2 formation with 2 DM's 2 Wingers and 2 Strikers.

Havent seen a single winger tactic that works in FM10, so would certainly be interested in giving this a go mate, give me a shout if you want me to do a little testing.(H)

Can someone please post a screenshot of the tactics used in Mr Houghs 4-1-2-3 please, as my game does not allowed me to download tactics anymore on to it and I've been wanting to try this tactic for ages.