Understand mate. It does seem incredibly random in general, not just your tactic. Would you recommend just perserving with the tactic or trying something completely different. Im in a network game so I need to find a solution really. Do some loads just not suit the tactics and no point in trying it again?

I usually continue using the tactic even if it's bad a whole season, cause I know it's a good tactic, and that randomness ****** me. Can go 7th place one season, then win the next. Eventually, when you get that "your players are ready to die for each other" thingy, the results will become more stable.

Its a good tactic but like you say its not for underdogs. I tried with aston villa amd did well but my faves for any team are the counter version of stonewall or andrichs 442 back to basics

Any chance of any player filters?
Its doing alright, just not sure I have the right players...?

Any chance of any player filters?
Its doing alright, just not sure I have the right players...?

I think you only need to follow the attributes needed for the roles. You can highlight these attributes in the tactic overview screen. I never use player filters though, but if you want filters, you can make these from the highlighted attributes. One thing that's important for both the stonewall attack and the stonewall counter is acceleration and pace, because of passing into space/high d-line/counterattacking etc.

Alternative to Counter V3 for those with more central defenders than defensive midfielders. Works very well in this formation too I think, although needs further testing which I don't have time for atm :p

Last edited:
Have your results improved a lot mate any SS

It's about the same as the v3, with some tweaks to the defense and complete wingbacks instead of regular wingbacks, so they will attack more (and they can do so safely cause of three CD's in v4). Have only tested some games over and over to see differences, so no "real" ss to give yet :p Will test and play more after I'm done with my project paper :)

It's about the same as the v3, with some tweaks to the defense and complete wingbacks instead of regular wingbacks, so they will attack more (and they can do so safely cause of three CD's in v4). Have only tested some games over and over to see differences, so no "real" ss to give yet :p Will test and play more after I'm done with my project paper :)
Thank's mate keep up the good work :D

In Attack version, is there any reason that you have 'play wide' and 'exploit the middle' both ticked? I guess you want to drag teams wide to create space in the middle but with good players couldn't you just play wider and allow them to exploit wherever necessary to create the chances. It leaves the tactic susceptible against teams that stay compact. Perhaps this is why I am finding against certain teams the tactic just gets stifled. You have be more expressive ticked, so why not just let your creative players make things happen where they deem appropriate?

I think maybe i'll try playing with just 'push higher up' rather than 'much higher defensive line' as this could explain some of the randomness. Just played West Brom and Anelka seemed to be thriving off how high my team was setup. You have 'play out of defence' ticked so the team should be able to gradually move up the pitch but losing the ball suddenly leaves so much space behind the defence.

I also dispute the need for a 'False 9' in this tactic. With the two central midfielders getting forwards that should be enough in the final 3rd. You have drill crosses ticked, so why not try a DLF or Complete Forward. Complete Forward with 'more direct passing' may work?

In Attack version, is there any reason that you have 'play wide' and 'exploit the middle' both ticked? I guess you want to drag teams wide to create space in the middle but with good players couldn't you just play wider and allow them to exploit wherever necessary to create the chances. It leaves the tactic susceptible against teams that stay compact. Perhaps this is why I am finding against certain teams the tactic just gets stifled. You have be more expressive ticked, so why not just let your creative players make things happen where they deem appropriate?

I think maybe i'll try playing with just 'push higher up' rather than 'much higher defensive line' as this could explain some of the randomness. Just played West Brom and Anelka seemed to be thriving off how high my team was setup. You have 'play out of defence' ticked so the team should be able to gradually move up the pitch but losing the ball suddenly leaves so much space behind the defence.

I also dispute the need for a 'False 9' in this tactic. With the two central midfielders getting forwards that should be enough in the final 3rd. You have drill crosses ticked, so why not try a DLF or Complete Forward. Complete Forward with 'more direct passing' may work?

Well, a problem when creating plug and play tactics is that I have to set options that will work for all teams, not only the teams with the "right players". When you get good players you should of course experiment with a different kind of play, fitted to your players. The current setup is just a nice base to begin with, and it is very flexible for changes. There is absolutely no problem with changing the things you just mentioned, as those are not part of the core of the tactic.

And one more thing, I don't use logic when creating tactics, I try every single option and combination of options and see what works best in terms of results, chance creation, etc over a set amount of matches.

I encourage you to further tweak the tactic and possibly make it even better as this is a very important stage in ending up with an absolutely great tactic. Last year, many users contributed with information and changes to my tactics, and in the end we ended up with the 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 tripletweaks, which were extremely solid tactics in FM13.

If you do like tactic creation/tweaking, maybe you should try the V4, as that one has more potential I think, as it's a different formation, and I haven't tweaked it very much yet.

Last edited:
Spot on mate, I thought this myself but just wanted some clarification :)
Beautiful tactic so far, love the pace and power of the counter!!
I have Counter, Underdog AND (hate to say it) 442 Back to Basics in my tactic slots, playing very well!

Last edited:
Spot on mate, I thought this myself but just wanted some clarification :)
Beautiful tactic so far, love the pace and power of the counter!!
I have Counter, Underdog AND (hate to say it) 442 Back to Basics in my tactic slots, playing very well!

Back to Basics is a nice tactic indeed :)

The partnership between the Engache and the False Nine in Danilo's tactic inspired me to make a different type of tactic built around that partnership. Started working on it now, looks promising :) Overload mentality and route one type of football, as I love it :)

If anyone wanna help me test it and provide feedback I would be glad :)

NB! Under construction. Not a finished product.

Last edited: