Mr Langvatn

Reaction score
Tactic updated 04.01.2013

Hello my fellow Football Managers!

A lot of people have been requesting an underdog tactic from me, so here it comes!

It is a 4-2-2-1-1 formation, and it is incredibly stable in the back, as well as quite okay going forward in my opinion. It is based on direct, counter-attacking football, so please get players who are quick in addition to the recommended stats for their roles.

I picked Reading as my test subject (most underdog team in the EPL). Throughout the first season I was just tweaking all the time, still made 7th place first season. The second season I tested the finished tactic, and had 6-2-0, then I went to bed, as I was quite content with the results both from this season and the last one. I bought ZERO players the second season.

Always give your team high bonuses in the competitions you want to do good in...

Keep your players happy. In this year's FM, this has a MUCH bigger impact than in previous editions.

Players: See the different roles + pace/acceleration

Most important player: Trequartista and Complete Forward

Match prep: Defensive positioning
Training: Balanced
Team Talk: Been using assistant manager to do that
No opposition instructions

If you get a player sent off, take off the defensive midfielder.

When game starts, use match prep: tactics only, together with team cohesion training, 50/50 until your first league match. Then change to Balanced/Defensive Positioning. NB! Start the preseason 6 weeks before league start, so the tactic is 100% fluid before your first league game.

Last edited:
I won Champions League with my Olympique de Marseille thanks to this tactic - it's awesome for hard opponents.
GREAT JOB Mr Langvatn :) !

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9016/beztytuuwru.jpg

And yes, it's 2018, but trust me, my team isn't too good, especially for CL level, but we did it ;). Second thing - we did it with reserve squad, because I had hospital in my team before final..

I won Champions League with my Olympique de Marseille thanks to this tactic - it's awesome for hard opponents.
GREAT JOB Mr Langvatn :) !

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9016/beztytuuwru.jpg

And yes, it's 2018, but trust me, my team isn't too good, especially for CL level, but we did it ;). Second thing - we did it with reserve squad, because I had hospital in my team before final..

Fantastic! :) Thanks for the feedback! :)

Last edited:
i will test..

your last two tactics have been outstanding..

currently top of BSP with Forest Green with Godlike

got a picture of your results with this? This does seem more solid than the others. Non of your other ones worked for me as my team is Crystal Palace (everything was fluid too). Promoted first season, Finished 13th in prem and now struggling like a ***** barely above drop zone so will keep this one going till end of season.

got a picture of your results with this? This does seem more solid than the others. Non of your other ones worked for me as my team is Crystal Palace (everything was fluid too). Promoted first season, Finished 13th in prem and now struggling like a ***** barely above drop zone so will keep this one going till end of season.

I haven't tested it long enough to post the results. Only 8 matches played with the tactic after completion. But you can see on the screenshots above that I'm on 1st place in October.

This tactic will definately work A LOT better as an underdog team..

i can see your top but can also see two losses in a row. I will keep this going though

I didn't saw thet the underdog tactic had his own thread ^^''

I'm testing it with Ajka(Hungary) in the lower level of World League, third season and Lifeban

8M 4W 3D 1L

i will test with my ebbsfleet team in the championship as i have made 3 successful promotions with my current tactic and am looking for alternatives.

just got promoted to the premier league with my leeds squad and i'd be glad to give this tactic a shot as i recon i'll be a massive underdog the first year considering i've barely got a team to put on the field :)

will test with Newcastle in 2017 had a terrible start to the season will upload progress soon

will test with Newcastle in 2017 had a terrible start to the season will upload progress soon

Don't think an underdog tactic is necessary for Newcastle :p You would be better off with my 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 :p