I've got a similar issue to ones described earlier in this thread, first generation works fine, but then preserving does not replace all faces it's supposed to (new config file is also far smaller). Is there a fix to that?
EDIT: There is, sort by nationality first fixed it
EDIT2: It seems it doesn't preserve the faces now, though
By the way, to all people asking whether it works with previous version of FM, it does work on FM19, so I reckon you should simply give it a try and I'd guess it'll work too.

Last edited:
Okay, so I think I might have found a workaround for the "preserve" option. What you should do before using "preserve" is:
enter the "faces" folder
backup the config.xml file
run newGAN and use "preserve" (make sure to have sorted your search/shortlist by nationality or it may not convert all of the regens you wanted it to)
copy all the relevant data from the old config.xml file (only between <list id="maps"> and </list>, that is, only the <record from=...> stuff) and paste it BEFORE the new data
I've only tested it with 1 player so far, but it seems to only read the first mapping for that player and not the second
EDIT: though still would seem that there is an underlying issue which causes the program to skip some regens when reading the .rtf file... so sorting by nationality doesn't really help in the end, though it did somehow in the previous case. My guess would be that the program thinks it's done when it's not when reading a certain name? I don't know.
EDIT2: In player search I only had "interested in transfer" ticked, that was the problem

Last edited:
The NewGAN Manager somehow isn't working for me. Once i select the image directory and rtf file and hit replace faces it's stuck in "Map player to ethnicity..." and the progress bar isnt moving a bit, even after a hour.

Hey @Zealand,

If you have a moment to spare, could you update us on what are the news around it. It's quite obvious this is a huge hype in the community now and I think everyone will be happy for some insights and maybe ETA? :)

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

edit: p.s. also if the team can use the community for some help with testing or anything else there are people who will be glad to give a hand (so we don't just sit here and whine it is not ready like spoiled kids) :)

Hi there!

I checked other comments and I am aware this has already been discussed, but I didn't really understand it.

Assuming there is a problem with the "preserve" button (which I hope will be fixed soon), you guys found a way to keep the regens already made faces by deleting the .png extension or something similar.

Could someone please take the time to explain this step by step? I am sure it would help me and others a lot.

Many thanks in advance! And many thanks again to the creators of this pack... I can't describe how cool this is.

What am I doing wrong?

After installing NewGan nothing happens. There is no exe file I can select either and my NewGan Manager shortcut also does completely nothing. I have made it to step 14 but NewGan Manager does not want to open or do anything.

What am I doing wrong?

After installing NewGan nothing happens. There is no exe file I can select either and my NewGan Manager shortcut also does completely nothing. I have made it to step 14 but NewGan Manager does not want to open or do anything.
Zealand: "IF THE APP DOESN'T START FOR YOU JUST go to the ...\Programs\NewGAN Manager\app\ .config folder and copy the files inside of it into the ...\NewGAN Manager\ .config folder (the config folder in the root directory of the UI). "

Zealand: "IF THE APP DOESN'T START FOR YOU JUST go to the ...\Programs\NewGAN Manager\app\ .config folder and copy the files inside of it into the ...\NewGAN Manager\ .config folder (the config folder in the root directory of the UI). "

It was that simple. Thank you.

There is one thing I don't understand. It works for the first regens but when there is a new regen who pops off obviously he's not on the text file that I created before so do I have to do this everytime there is a new regen ?

Hi all, very new to FM, very new to modding FM. Trying to follow the instructions to install this pack, but I'm unclear on the part about the RTF file. What is an RTF file, and where do I find it?

If I am playing with all fictional players and want to replace every face in the game, what should I do differently?

Thanks!

Hi, ive installed the latest version i can find & when i do number 15. Now open NewGAN Manager. It never opens, ive done all the options up to 15 fine but get stuck here, please help. thanks

Look at post 290 above.

Struggling to get this to work at all. :( I am weird and use entirely fictional players, so I want to replace every **** face in the game. I logged in as an unemployed manager, did the search that way, got around 35k. (I don't use a super huge database.) I am able to run NewGan, but when I run it, it finishes in like a second or two, no matter which setting I use. It looks like it was successful, but of course none of the faces appear to have changed.

Anyone have any ideas what I could try?

Struggling to get this to work at all. :( I am weird and use entirely fictional players, so I want to replace every **** face in the game. I logged in as an unemployed manager, did the search that way, got around 35k. (I don't use a super huge database.) I am able to run NewGan, but when I run it, it finishes in like a second or two, no matter which setting I use. It looks like it was successful, but of course none of the faces appear to have changed.

Anyone have any ideas what I could try?

Yeah I've encountered this bug as well. What you should try is doing it in smaller chunks, since sometimes, the generator seems to encounter a problem and doesn't do the faces to the end. What I mean by doing it in chunks is:
1: Generate faces for a group of players
2: Check if these players have faces, if not, repeat 1 with a smaller group
3: Copy the config.xml file in your faces folder
4: Check a new group that doesn't have faces yet and do the same you did previously to generate (not preserve, I don't use it since it's buggy) new faces
5: the new config.xml has the data of the new group but not the old one. Open it with a text editor (notepad++ is my weapon of choice). Paste all the entries of "record from..." from the copied config.xml file BEFORE the entries from your old one, but AFTER <list id="maps">

Rinse and repeat till it's done

Since it's a bit tedious for larger databases, I currently only use it for one in which I have 2 leagues (domestic top & second division) of a country loaded, small enough for debugging. I'd discourage using it with big databases since there are bugs which break the generator currently and using more players increases the chance of getting one.

Oh, and for the people with "map player to ethnicity", I've finally encountered that bug. Again, just select a smaller number of players. Narrow it down to one player, copy a line from the config file (preferably one with the same ethnicity so that you don't have to modify that later), modify it so that it has the buggy player's UID and a different number for the image, then skip this player when generating faces next time around.
EDIT: It didn't fix my "map player to ethnicity" problem, actually, so maybe there's an underlying problem there. I was able to use the newGAN normally until a couple years into my save. Weird.

Last edited:
There is one thing I don't understand. It works for the first regens but when there is a new regen who pops off obviously he's not on the text file that I created before so do I have to do this everytime there is a new regen ?
Yes, basically.

Yeah I've encountered this bug as well. What you should try is doing it in smaller chunks, since sometimes, the generator seems to encounter a problem and doesn't do the faces to the end. What I mean by doing it in chunks is:
1: Generate faces for a group of players
2: Check if these players have faces, if not, repeat 1 with a smaller group
3: Copy the config.xml file in your faces folder
4: Check a new group that doesn't have faces yet and do the same you did previously to generate (not preserve, I don't use it since it's buggy) new faces
5: the new config.xml has the data of the new group but not the old one. Open it with a text editor (notepad++ is my weapon of choice). Paste all the entries of "record from..." from the copied config.xml file BEFORE the entries from your old one, but AFTER <list id="maps">

Rinse and repeat till it's done

Since it's a bit tedious for larger databases, I currently only use it for one in which I have 2 leagues (domestic top & second division) of a country loaded, small enough for debugging. I'd discourage using it with big databases since there are bugs which break the generator currently and using more players increases the chance of getting one.

Oh, and for the people with "map player to ethnicity", I've finally encountered that bug. Again, just select a smaller number of players. Narrow it down to one player, copy a line from the config file (preferably one with the same ethnicity so that you don't have to modify that later), modify it so that it has the buggy player's UID and a different number for the image, then skip this player when generating faces next time around.
EDIT: It didn't fix my "map player to ethnicity" problem, actually, so maybe there's an underlying problem there. I was able to use the newGAN normally until a couple years into my save. Weird.

Very much appreciate your help, luftwaffle. So, I tried this:

1. Ggenerated a RTF file for just my squad.
  2. Confirmed that the rtf file indeed contains my players (about 35 of them for now).
  3. Quit FM.
  4. Ran it through NewGan using the "Generate" option. It processed in maybe 1 second, "finished" with a smiley face.
  5. Launched FM.
  6. Checked pictures - still no changes.
  7. Tried the steps listed in the guide to reload the skin ("Open Football Manager. Click on "FM", then go to "Preferences". Use the drop down option and select "Interface". Scroll down to the skin section and ensure that "Use skin caching to decrease loading times" is unticked but ensure that "reload skin..." and "Show screen IDs..." is ticked". )
  8. Still no change.
So, not sure if it's a volume thing, but there's not much point in doing this with an even smaller sets of data IMO. Even if I can get it to work with a set of 10 players, if I can only do it 10 players at a time it's just not going to be worth the effort.

I also tried the little "report" thing at the bottom of the screen in NewGan, but that doesn't do anything for me. If I put a UID in and click Report, the face on the screen never changes.

It's too bad; I'd be really excited to try this feature, it just seems like it's not quite robust yet. :(

Any other ideas?

Very much appreciate your help, luftwaffle. So, I tried this:

1. Ggenerated a RTF file for just my squad.
  2. Confirmed that the rtf file indeed contains my players (about 35 of them for now).
  3. Quit FM.
  4. Ran it through NewGan using the "Generate" option. It processed in maybe 1 second, "finished" with a smiley face.
  5. Launched FM.
  6. Checked pictures - still no changes.
  7. Tried the steps listed in the guide to reload the skin ("Open Football Manager. Click on "FM", then go to "Preferences". Use the drop down option and select "Interface". Scroll down to the skin section and ensure that "Use skin caching to decrease loading times" is unticked but ensure that "reload skin..." and "Show screen IDs..." is ticked". )
  8. Still no change.
So, not sure if it's a volume thing, but there's not much point in doing this with an even smaller sets of data IMO. Even if I can get it to work with a set of 10 players, if I can only do it 10 players at a time it's just not going to be worth the effort.

I also tried the little "report" thing at the bottom of the screen in NewGan, but that doesn't do anything for me. If I put a UID in and click Report, the face on the screen never changes.

It's too bad; I'd be really excited to try this feature, it just seems like it's not quite robust yet. :(

Any other ideas?

You likely didn't have the correct view up. In Player Search, if you edit search and untick exclude your team's players you should be able to get a list of all the players you know. If you then limit it to only newgens (via In-Game Editor) or maybe only via age, the you load the SCRIPTS FACES player search view, select all players in the list (Ctrl+A) and then print to .rtf file. The only time it should take a second to generate the config.xml file is when you have fewer than 1,000 faces. After that, turn off caching and reload the skin and they should show up.