Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v3 (Everything won as Man U) Great Results!

• Thread starter Thread starter Onox
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 416
  • Views Views 157K

Onox

Reaction score
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v5 Great Results!

Hey guys

I've always been a fan of the 4-3-3 total football style and since this style worked very well in FM 2010 I have made my own version.

The tactic formation is 4-3-1-2. It uses wide play and quick tempo to break down opponents back half and dominate it with pressure with strong possession football. This tactic uses two creative midfielders (MCL and MCR) to create chances and deliver lethal through balls to the AMC or Strikers. The AMC has a simmilar role as the creative midfielders but is more offensive and usually hangs in the front with low defensive mentality (Almost as a third striker). I have tested this tactic so far with Man United, Sunderland, AT Madrid and AC Milan and been very successful with all of those clubs, winning the League, League Cup, Fa Cup and Champions cup with Man U, AC Milan, AT Madrid and finishing 4th in the league as well as winning League cup and reaching FA cup Final with Sunderland.

So far this tac has been working well with lesser teams, feel free to test and see how it works for you and your team.

Here are some screens:

formationu.jpg

ligasluttt.jpg

(Note: Most of the losses and Draws were due to major injuries in the club on key players)

championsfinal.jpg

barcakampp.jpg

O/I:

I set Tight Marking on All strikers. I also have closing down on all AMC's (AMC AML and AMR). Never ever have specified Tackling on strikers only on the AMC/R/L's or creative midfielders that have low strength and balance. I have a habit of always clicking on ask assistant before I apply these O/I's then overwriting his settings on the positions I mentioned above but do as you wish. Ive also been setting shove on weaker foot on the above positions and Closing down on ML and MR + weaker foot to try and prevent them from landing good crosses.

Summary:

Strikers: Tight Marking, NO tackling instructions. Weaker foot if assistant sets it

AMC AMR and AML: Closing down, follow assistant tackling advice and shove on weaker foot.

MR and ML: Closing down, Tackling Hard and Shove on weaker foot.

Note: If playing against a team with only one striker and one AMC Tight marking on the AMC also needed along with Tight marking on the striker.

Mentality Instructions:

The Default mentality for the tactic is set on "Attacking" however when playing home games I set Overload or on easy away games. Feel free to experiment yourself and see what works for you.

Sideline Instructions:
This tactic requires NO Sideline South's, however if you are leading and there is 15-10min Left of the match and you want to try and ensure victory then do:
Strategy: Contain
*Retain Possession
*Take a Breather
*Play Even Safer
*Pass to feet

Player Instructions:

Very Important 15+
Mildly Important 13+
Helpful 11+
(I can see how these requirements can be hard for lesser league teams but these are just my personal estimate, anything close to these instructions can also work)
Goalkeeper - Defend

Fullback's - Defend
Main Skill Focus: Acceleration, Pace, Anticipation, Marking, Tackling, Stamina Crossing, Passing, Decisions.
Central Defender's - Defend
Main Skill Focus: Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Teamwork, Decisions, Passing, Bravery, Aggression, Acceleration, Pace

MCR - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support
Main Skill Focus: Passing, Creativity, Positioning, Technique,
Decisions, Flair, Tackling, Marking, Jumping, Heading

MC - Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend
Main Skill Focus: Tackling, Marking, Work Rate, Positioning, Strength, Stamina, Jumping, Heading, Anticipation, Passing, Decisions,

MCL - Advanced Playmaker - Support
Main Skill Focus: Passing, Creativity, Positioning, Technique, Decisions, Flair, Tackling, Marking, Jumping, Heading

AMC - Attacking Midfielder Or Inside Forward - Support
Main Skill Focus: Passing, Creativity, Off the Ball, Technique,
Decision's, Dribbling, Flair, Acceleration, Pace, Finishing,

Left Striker - Poacher - Attack
Main Skill Focus: Finishing, Off the Ball, Acceleration, Pace, Agility, Creativity, Technique, First Touch, Flair,
Dribbling

Right Forward - Advanced Forward - Attack
Main Skill Focus: Finishing, Creativity, Technique, First Touch, Off the Ball, Flair, Balance, Strength
, Dribbling

(If any of your Creative Mids or AMC has good long shots (15+) feel free to set his long shots to "Sometimes". Dont use this on too many players though, only one.)
Match preperation:

I let the Assistant Manager handle Match Preparation.

Previously I used Defensive positioning but I tried having my Assistant handling this for two season while I was making v5 and I liked it better that way as he is more effective in choosing Attacking movement against easier teams and defensive positioning against hard teams, especially in hard away games or away games vs rivals.

Pre Match Team Talk and Half-way team talk:
I am not stating that these talks are perfect, it's the way I do things. These team talks are from guide I have read on FM Base and other site like SI. Its also a short sum-up.

First of all note that I use decimals as pre match predictions.
Also always use "Pick up where you left off" or "I expect better" on any player that has this available pre match.

Pre Match Team talks:
Matches where I am a clear favorite (6.00+) "The Result will come"
Matches where I am a favorite (4.00-6.00) = "I expect a win"
If it's a Close Match (2.00-4.00) or against any rival team = "For the Fans"

If the other team is a clear favorite and my chances are low in a away game (4.00+) = "Wish luck" (I have rarely been in this situation so cant say for sure this one works)

Half match team talk:
Players with ratings of 7.0-7.5 always set "none" If a players has 7.5+ then set "I have faith" only on these players, everyone else should follow team talks.

Half way through a match where you set "I expect a win or the result will come" and have a draw or loosing = "Question the teams passion to win" or "Disappointing".

If its a draw against a team you had "For the fans" to begin with then use "For the fans" once again" and set Disappointing on players with under 6.5 rating.

If leading by 1 goal = "Don't get careless/complacent" and "Disappointing" on players with under 6.5 rating

If leading by two or more goals then use no teams talks only individual talk on players that deserve it ("Have faith" on players with 7.5+ and "Disappointed" on players with under 6.5)

Corners and Freekicks:
Have you tallest and best heading/Jumping defender play the right center back role as he is the one that will try to head the ball into goal during corner and free kicks.

Note: Due to the current bug in game ther player set piece instructions will sometimes untick them selves as you play on. Have a look at all of your players instructions from time to time, if the setpiece buttons are unticked and greyed out simply tick them and the players should go back to the original instructions that I set for them.

I use minimum size pitch

** Version 5 out! **

Made improvements on all fields of the tac. Mainly focused on trying to make the tac score more and removed the S/O instructions so its more Plug n Playish :)
The Full-backs are doing more runs forward giving options in the attack, having decent crossing on them helps. Changed crosses from Drill to Float. The creative Midfielders (MCR and MCL) are also pushing more forward now so they are in a better position before attempting their through balls. The central defensive mid has not changed much, he still sits back in the mid. The AMC has gotten a lot of changes, hes still effective at supplying the forwards but now acts as an Inside Forward making him almost as a third striker. The Forwards have received the most changes, ive done what I can to make them score more and for me they are scoring more, a lot more. They are also swapping positions with each other now and their instructions are very close to each other making both positions universal, if you wish you can change the way they play as long as you have the right strikers for the job and you know what your doing when changing their instructions.

As always feel free to tune the tactic towards your players IF needed.

Enjoy :)

Ive added v3 with set piece fix for those of you that want to stick to that tac.
I have also added V4.1. The only thing ive change in this version is that i've enabled counter attack and moved the defence and midfield a tiny bit closer together, reson for doing this is that I got reports from my Assisstant manager that there was a gap between midfield and defence that the opposition could take advantage of, this has now been fixed and works just the same as v4, so ill leave the choice up to you guys which version you want. The counter attack option is enabled for v4.1 but feel free to turn it off or experiment with it to see what is best for your team.

For people having issues downloading the file from FmBase, here is a fliefront/mediafire link as well as another FM base download link
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v5.tac - Mediafire

**Older Versions**
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.tac - Fm Base
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.tac - Filefront
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.tac - Mediafire
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.1 Counter.tac - Mediafire
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v3 with Setpeices.tac - Media Fire

Last edited:
Do it with a team like Aston Villa / Everton I might be interested. Not hard to win everything with united - sorry, maybe it just my opinion?

Do it with a team like Aston Villa / Everton I might be interested. Not hard to win everything with united - sorry, maybe it just my opinion?

Feel free to try m8, I never said it was Hard playing United, all I want is feedback on how to make it better/perfect and then maybe ill give it a proper try with lesser teams. :)

Hi Onox,

what pitch size do u use maximum or miminum size or maybe the standard size.

My first try of the tactic, I absolutely dominated them all game long, they scored through a corner, but the one problem is the range shooting, does my head in and happens with every tactic. Other players are in great positions but 95% of the time they opt for the ****** ranged shot which hardly ever comes off, wish there was a better way to stop them doing it.

I'll report back some more games in a bit, got some cw to do.

My first try of the tactic, I absolutely dominated them all game long, they scored through a corner, but the one problem is the range shooting, does my head in and happens with every tactic. Other players are in great positions but 95% of the time they opt for the ****** ranged shot which hardly ever comes off, wish there was a better way to stop them doing it.

I'll report back some more games in a bit, got some cw to do.

Yeah I know what you mean, its hard to control even with player instructions. Its totally random for me like sometimes ill have 10+ Long shots and sometime 1-3 whole game and both games dominated.

Set your attacking players to having Long Shots rarely, especially your AMC's and playmakers haha. it makes it so much better!

Set your attacking players to having Long Shots rarely, especially your AMC's and playmakers haha. it makes it so much better!

Yeah true, only reason I had it set on Sometimes on the AMC was due to having Snejder there. Inter offered him to me in mid season for low value :)

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:59 PM ----------

Im currently working on an improved version of the tactic and am half way through the season. Im doing a lot of tweaks, mainly experementing with the mid field and strikers to make them more fluid and cut back on the long shots.

So far im getting even greater results than first version but the final test will be in the champions cup.

Feel free to leave any type of feedback guys! :)

I tried the tactis with aston villa against wigan and was 2-0 down in ten minutes. reverted back to my old tactics and won 3-2

I tried the tactis with aston villa against wigan and was 2-0 down in ten minutes. reverted back to my old tactics and won 3-2
Have a cookie then mate. Youre really quite sad giving a tactic 10 minutes. You think that a team can adjust to a new tactic in 10 minutes? they can do it in about 10 games.

Need to give it more time m8, have it on preperation till the bars are filled up then test it :)

what shouts do you have set?

I only use shout when im leading by two goals and those are Retain Possession, Take a Breather and pass to feet. Other than that I dont use any shouts but feel free to try some and tell me how it works for you, ive never been much focused on the shouths but maybe thats a weakness hehe.

I will be updating the tactic later tonight, i've done a few tweaks and its showing great results. 19-0-0 so far in the league and unbeaten in the cups.

I'm testing this tactic in Spurs...
In The First Game with this tactic a home game i lost for Sunderland.
Spurs 1x3 Sunderland.
exposed defence.
I'm keep testing..

I'm testing this tactic in Spurs...
In The First Game with this tactic a home game i lost for Sunderland.
Spurs 1x3 Sunderland.
exposed defence.
I'm keep testing..

Version 2 is out give it a try, defence should be much solid now and im also scoring more than with v1 :)

Thank you! Downloading V2.
EDIT:
First game with V2.
Spurs 2x2 Bayern M
My attack create good chances..
The Possesion 50%/50%

1289492679-clip-66kb.jpg

Last edited:
it worked great for my mighty liverpool. it's probably the best tactic for my team so far. i'll try v2 now, i'll give feedback as soon as i can.

Back