Messi's match ratings are overrated. Don't get me wrong, Messi a world class player, one of the best there ever was, but the guy could spend his entire season on the bench and still win the Ballon D'Or.
P.S. Longest streak he ever had in one of my careers was 9 consecutive wins.

Barca, RM players, and to some extent, Atletico players perform well above, its probably because of La Liga, in the 1st 5-6 years, other teams are still not that good, so Barca and RM dominates games.. In my save, its always Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, Neymar who are competing for Ballon Dor, my Lamela snitch a 3rd place last year, and hopes still gets in the podium this year. Im playing as Arsenal anyway.

Underrated: Luis Suarez, Ronaldo,
Overrated: Balanta and Doria, so young yet can win 1st team place right away. Though i got them both..LOL

Overrated:
Doria, Balanta, Tin Jedvaj, Kurt Zouma (these four defenders have yet to be truly proven in RL, but already can fit into 1st team of any major team in game immediately and becoming a GOD to relatively easy to achieve total best defense n minimal goals let in)
Luis Suarez(omg, looks so plain and simple....but he still performs outstandingly with those meager looking stats)
Memphis Depay, James Ward-Prowse, Will Hughes, Gabriel Barbosa, Sebastian Driussi, Aleksander Mitrovic, Alberto Cerri (these few youngsters easily grow to GODLIKE status if placed in 1st team immediately. Not truly proven in RL but easily can outshine any superstar)
Antonio Valencia, Eric Lamela, Christian Eriksen (geezz... they can easily achieve GODLIKE status in game)

Underrated: Messi & CR7 (if controlled by AI, because if controlled by AI, they never get more than 30 goals but still win the Ballon d'Or.... however, if somehow a player managed to buy them and use them, they easily can become GODLIKE but never come close to RL scoring 40-50 goals)
Marco Reus, Thomas Muller (wow, compared to Ozil, these two looks like ****)

Overall, it bores down to the match engine and tactics use. Stats itself doesnt prove anything. Well, it is just a game afterall. How real life like can it be? Too many unknown factors that influence the game as well as real life. But mostly, its as close as it could be in overall. (except for those random godlike youngsters which r unproven... geezz... in my own online community game, i always buy those youngster but get told off saying how come those youngsters is GODLIKE.... to the extend i do feel it is abit offsided)

^^Suarez overrated? He's performing at an outrageous level IRL right now.

Welbeck underrated. His stats don't improve much but he seems to be a monster for me and now valued at 31m after 3 seasons

OR: Lacazette, GABRIEL IANCU, Yann Sommer.
UR: Henri Bedimo, Mattia Destro, Clement Grenier, Fabian Schar.

Messi overrated? Just...lol.

Wellbeck is shocking, couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat

Underrated...Heskey should all be 20 stats :)
overrated...Henderson hes like a god on every save ive seen him in hes ******* dog wank IRL heard a LPool fan on the radio call him the complete cm with Yaya Toure hahahahaahahahah

Underrated = Fraser Foster, theo walcott, Marco Reus, Muller
overrated = Kevin De Bruyne, Toni Kroos, Fellaini, Marc-Andre ter Stegen