Pele The Most Overrated Footballer of all time ?

Is pele the most overrated player ever

• yes

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I wasn't old enough to see Pele play so i can't speak from experience, but the most resounding stats for Pele imo is that at the age of 17 he scored a hattrick in the World Cup Semi Final and two goals in the final. Plenty of other players haven't even made their league debuts by this age and Pele scores two goals in the World Cup final. You cannot argue that this is pretty phenomenal.

Not the most overrated but i have always said Maradonna is the best because he was tried and tested in both South America and Europe but Pele was only tested in South America. And you must admit the standard of football in South America is worse.

completley agree here with the state of the leagues. How anyone can comment on the quality of the brazilian league compared to europe when in 1960s it would have been lucky to see liverpool on the tv once a month. Nevermind regular footage of the brazilian league week in week out. I base my opinion on the fact that today the brazilian league is a joke compared to la liga, epl, seria A etc.

Lets not forget people are saying Brazil produced great players back in the 60s so the league must have been great but im pretty sure Brazil still produce exceptional players modern day?

Unfortunately I wasn't old enough to see Pele play so i can't speak from experience, but the most resounding stats for Pele imo is that at the age of 17 he scored a hattrick in the World Cup Semi Final and two goals in the final. Plenty of other players haven't even made their league debuts by this age and Pele scores two goals in the World Cup final. You cannot argue that this is pretty phenomenal.

This is a phenomenal achievement, however football in the 50s,60s was not the multimillion pound industry it is today. Most footballers were not exactly athletes and this feat would be almost impossible today. Look at neymar in today's brazil team. He could easily have made the squad for last years WC but did not due to more pressure on managers hence them not taking risks on to many youngsters

Lets not forget people are saying Brazil produced great players back in the 60s so the league must have been great but im pretty sure Brazil still produce exceptional players modern day?

Yes, and most of those exceptional players leave for Europe now. Back then, they did not.

I'm not old enough to remember.. but, i do know that players generally stayed in their own country and play in their own domestic leagues, so you cant really say that it is a rubbish league, because 3 world cup winning teams were produced from players playing in this team. Even nowadays it is difficult to judge the Brazilian league, imo, it is a very underrated league, the talent it produces is brilliant.

Last edited:
I read the first page and Loled so hard. We are talking about Pele for **** sake, The man, the legend that is pele, You dont score that many goals and not be an amazing player.

LMAO - No. Pele is/was not overrated. Success is comparative: Of course he wouldn't score 1000 goals in the modern game - he was (one of) the best player(s) of his generation and one of the best players the world has ever seen.

Agree with Lee that the Brazilian League was of a better quality in the 70s than it is now and most of the BRA international squad played in Brazil during their dominant period over the 60s/70s, which suggests it really can't have been that bad..

You mention his arrogance but all the best players in the world are arrogant:

You mention Maradona, but he said this about Pelé: "Pelé won by forfeit. I won the people's vote." < Is that not arrogance defined? He also claimed Pelé had a gay affair with a coach at Santos.

Why should Maradona, who was found guilty of taking drugs and served a 15 month ban and cheated his country into World Cup semi-final take all the plaudits? Of course he was a brilliant player but he also had serious issues that, for me, tarnish his impact as someone you (OP) claim is "the best ever".

He scored lots of goals in the Brazilian Leagues, he also scored 77 goals in just 92 international appearances. Maradona scored less than 40 in 91 apps.

Excellent (Hilarious) article by the Guardian, collection of quotes from Pele and Maradona: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/24/pele-diego-maradona-birthday

Last edited:
Maradona "What can I say? Pelé lost his virginity to a man."

So childish but I just had to laugh. Great comeback line!

Maradona "What can I say? Pelé lost his virginity to a man."

So childish but I just had to laugh. Great comeback line!

Pelé says Maradona "could not kick with his right foot and did not score with his head. The only time he scored a big goal with his head it turned out he had used his hand."

Believe it or not I agree with the OP to a certain extent, the game has developed and gotten much better so someone like Pele wouldn't be so successful nowadays. But the same goes for the greatest player ever, Maradona, IMO. Maradona wouldn't be nearly as dominant if he played now, and guys like Messi and C. Ronaldo probably would have destroyed football if they played in a previous era. It's really hard to compare players of different eras because different stuff worked and the game was less competitive and the training/medicine/diets not as advanced. Is Pele deserving of all of the praise he gets (ie undisputed best player of all time)? Probably. Do other players, like Maradona, Zidane, Cruyff, Bochini, etc. deserve more praise? Of course.

He's definitely not the most overrated player of all time. That would be David Beckham.

LMAO - No. Pele is/was not overrated. Success is comparative: Of course he wouldn't score 1000 goals in the modern game - he was (one of) the best player(s) of his generation and one of the best players the world has ever seen.

Agree with Lee that the Brazilian League was of a better quality in the 70s than it is now and most of the BRA international squad played in Brazil during their dominant period over the 60s/70s, which suggests it really can't have been that bad..

You mention his arrogance but all the best players in the world are arrogant:

You mention Maradona, but he said this about Pelé: "Pelé won by forfeit. I won the people's vote." < Is that not arrogance defined? He also claimed Pelé had a gay affair with a coach at Santos.

Why should Maradona, who was found guilty of taking drugs and served a 15 month ban and cheated his country into World Cup semi-final take all the plaudits? Of course he was a brilliant player but he also had serious issues that, for me, tarnish his impact as someone you (OP) claim is "the best ever".

He scored lots of goals in the Brazilian Leagues, he also scored 77 goals in just 92 international appearances. Maradona scored less than 40 in 91 apps.

Excellent (Hilarious) article by the Guardian, collection of quotes from Pele and Maradona: Pelé and Diego Maradona: Happy birthday to the best | Football | The Observer

Pele receives much more credit than Maradona...most people seem to only remember Maradona as a cheat and drug addict. The latter cracks me up. Coke only hinders your athleticism, and it didn't slow him down. If anything, it only helps prove how great he was. Also, who cares if he had fun and partied and did drugs as an athlete? He was the best player in the world. I don't blame him. Many would have done the same. It's definitely not something to hate him for. IMO a lot of the Maradona hatred simply comes from English haters still bitter about the goal of the century. And no, I'm not talking about the hand of god.

Pele receives much more credit than Maradona...most people seem to only remember Maradona as a cheat and drug addict. The latter cracks me up. Coke only hinders your athleticism, and it didn't slow him down. If anything, it only helps prove how great he was. Also, who cares if he had fun and partied and did drugs as an athlete? He was the best player in the world. I don't blame him. Many would have done the same. It's definitely not something to hate him for. IMO a lot of the Maradona hatred simply comes from English haters still bitter about the goal of the century. And no, I'm not talking about the hand of god.

I'm not bitter about the other goal-it was sheer and utter class. But yeah, I still get a bit wrankled about that "goal" but not as much. But he wasted 15 months (for the coke ban) and if he hadn't, who knows what wonders he would have done. The drugs thing was stupid. The 15 month ban he got, he could've done something special. But he was utterly stupid, and deservedly paid the price. Any athlete who indulges in stuff like that, to me, is not a professional sportsman/woman. Just stupid

completley agree here with the state of the leagues. How anyone can comment on the quality of the brazilian league compared to europe when in 1960s it would have been lucky to see liverpool on the tv once a month. Nevermind regular footage of the brazilian league week in week out. I base my opinion on the fact that today the brazilian league is a joke compared to la liga, epl, seria A etc.

So because Brazilian League football is a joke now (despite this not being so), it must mean it was a joke back then? That is a silly argument. In fact, the Brazil national team often calls up players from the Brazilian league which means it can't be as bad as you make out, the Brazilian League also continues to produce world class players and world cup winning teams.

Also, I'm pretty sure South American teams beat European teams in the inter-continental cup during the 1960's so European football obviously isn't as far ahead as you make it out.

If Pele only scored that many goals because the League was of poor quality, how come no one else matched him or even came close goal scoring wise?

You may have heard of the real madrid team featuring di stefano and frenc puskas. it won 5 european cups in a row. They played at this time

That's true, i believe no Brazilian teams won a European Cup during this era. The European leagues therefore must be far greater!

Maradona was, in my opinion, the greatest footballer of all time - stressing "footballer". As a human being, well, that's another subject that doesn't really require any discussion whatsoever (Does it?). But from this to saying Pelé is overrated... well, that's just plain ignorant. You can't call this overrated by any means.

If Pele only scored that many goals because the League was of poor quality, how come no one else matched him or even came close goal scoring wise?

Pele record was matched ? you may have heard of ferenc puskas he scored 617 goals in COMPETITVE MATCHES. pele on the other hand scored 589 in competitive matches. I just have to laugh at everyone saying "ooo but he scored 1000 goals" yes 643 were in friendlies ! where teams never take the game entirely seriously. also for brazil pele scored 64 goals in 104 matches. Puskas scored 84 goals in 85 matches.

I Just discovered this fact tonight. so i am interested in the opinions of mike and others whos main foundation of thier argument was the goal scoring record, yet as i have proven it was matched and BETTERED by others playing at this time. Puskas himself claimed that he was the first to reach 1000 goals but his goals in friendly matches were never recorded.

Last edited:
I'm not going to bother any more to be honest. Your right, everyone else is wrong. There you go. Feel free to laugh at me if you so choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.