Pele The Most Overrated Footballer of all time ?

• Thread starter Thread starter jamescfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 120
  • Views Views 17K

Is pele the most overrated player ever

• yes

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you old enough to seen him play? If so, your grammar is shameful for your age, really. Also, you're using the fact that a small percentage of the demographic of this forum will have seen him in the flesh playing, and then using that as a basis for an argument. This is just plain stupidity, you can still find TV footage of his old games for people to judge him off and not just a highlight reel.

You're contradicting yourself too, how can you discriminate against the Brazilian leagues because Pele scored 1000 goals, and then use Puskas as an alternate example. Surely R.Madrid's dominance can be used in the same context as your argument that the European leagues were weak. By your logic, if R.Madrid were brilliant in that time, then they were a group of fantastic individuals. So therefore, Pele must also be a fantastic individual - by your logic.

Think your arguments through before you make ludicrous claims, the fact the only argument you can form is a heavily contradictory one is just showing you to be incredibly ignorant and arrogant about your own opinion. If you want people to stop flaming you so hard, actually put forth a decent argument why Pele isn't so great. But then, that's pretty hard to do, so you have to resort to hyperbole and logical fallacies, which only discredits you further and makes Pele seem just as great. Idiot.

There is need for this post. I have admited ia am wrong. I still feel maradona was the better player as was zidane and ronaldo.

Are you old enough to seen him play? If so, your grammar is shameful for your age, really. Also, you're using the fact that a small percentage of the demographic of this forum will have seen him in the flesh playing, and then using that as a basis for an argument. This is just plain stupidity, you can still find TV footage of his old games for people to judge him off and not just a highlight reel.

You're contradicting yourself too, how can you discriminate against the Brazilian leagues because Pele scored 1000 goals, and then use Puskas as an alternate example. Surely R.Madrid's dominance can be used in the same context as your argument that the European leagues were weak. By your logic, if R.Madrid were brilliant in that time, then they were a group of fantastic individuals. So therefore, Pele must also be a fantastic individual - by your logic.

Think your arguments through before you make ludicrous claims, the fact the only argument you can form is a heavily contradictory one is just showing you to be incredibly ignorant and arrogant about your own opinion. If you want people to stop flaming you so hard, actually put forth a decent argument why Pele isn't so great. But then, that's pretty hard to do, so you have to resort to hyperbole and logical fallacies, which only discredits you further and makes Pele seem just as great.

Wew-glad I haven't peeved you off yet. I'd get pwned lol

I could not find the other thread sorry. Good to see zidane won it.

also if you feel the nead to question my knowledge. please read this article from an expert. This will be my last post as i realise that the argument is going nowhere and the same points are being repeated.

Goal.com Special: Who Was Better

Last edited:
You said that while I was typing. :)

No problem. I have atleast admitted i was wrong and admit by points were highly contradictory. Please read the article i have posted i give me your opinion.

Maradonnas International Record: 91 caps and scored 34 goals
Pele : 92 caps and 77 goals

Think thats speaks volumes. And Maradonna pretty much ruined his career with Cocaine at club level in the 90s.

I could not find the other thread sorry. Good to see zidane won it.

also if you feel the nead to question my knowledge. please read this article from an expert. This will be my last post as i realise that the argument is going nowhere and the same points are being repeated.

Goal.com Special: Who Was Better

goal.com isnt a credible place to be looking for articles, it makes little mention of santos, or the comparative strength of the brazilan league, if you want an expert, find tim vickery, or jonathan wilson

Last edited:
And to be honest, I'd put Cryuff above Ronaldo aswell. Top 3 would've been Pele, Cryuff and Maradonna then Zidane and Ronaldo. But thats just my opinion

And Maradonna pretty much ruined his career with Cocaine at club level in the 90s.

The argument of diego maradona being less of a player due to his of the pitch problems is just stupid.

The article actually makes some decent points, and the amount of goals a player scores doesn't prove that they are better than another. They were both phenominal players, but I personally think Pele just edges it because of his all round ability. Had Maradonna not had an addiction to cocaine, he could have been even better, that is a scary thought!

The argument of diego maradona being less of a player due to his of the pitch problems is just stupid.

Not its not. He lost a lot of playing time, and obviously, doing coke will affect how you play. Look at the way he snarls into the camera when playing games during the time he was doing it. He was extremely aggressive, like an animal. So its not just stupid.

goal.com isnt a credible place to be looking for articles, it makes little mention of santos, or the comparative strength of the brazilan league, if you want an expert, find tim vickery, or jonathan wilson

Why do you feel the need to questions everyone who disagrees with you's knoweldge of football. Who are you. Are you an exfootballing legend. Are you a world class pundit. Are you jose mourinho. NO. Therefore your knowledge is probably the same as everyother football lover on this site. You insult me for being arrogant. I think you should look in the mirror.

The article actually makes some decent points, and the amount of goals a player scores doesn't prove that they are better than another. They were both phenominal players, but I personally think Pele just edges it because of his all round ability. Had Maradonna not had an addiction to cocaine, he could have been even better, that is a scary thought!

agree on the goals ,but there was so much more to pele than goals. Complete forward there, but the article is talking like it was a walking in the park in brazil, not the case

Why do you feel the need to questions everyone who disagrees with you's knoweldge of football. Who are you. Are you an exfootballing legend. Are you a world class pundit. Are you jose mourinho. NO. Therefore your knowledge is probably the same as everyother football lover on this site. You insult me for being arrogant. I think you should look in the mirror.

tbf he does have a point. I've listened to Vickery on the radio loads of times, and he has immense knowledge of South American football. He's top notch

goal.com is known for not being credible. as for knowledge i dont claim anything i have been wrong many times. but i know enough to know a flawed article when i see one

Last edited:
The article points out that Maradonna somewhat carried his teams, which he did. Pele stood out in a generation of fine Brazilian players, he's the most memorable from both Santos and Brazil that boasted a collection of some of the greatest players of their age. I think that speaks volumes, to be the best of the best. It's sort of similar to how people debate Messi and Ronaldo, Messi is the greatest player of the greatest team right now. But then, Madrid have looked lost for a few games without their talisman. The things Maradonna could do with a ball is something that will take something special to even match, but what Pele achieved is a remarkable feat that will most likely never be equalled.

goal.com is known for not being credible. as for knowledge i dont claim anything i have been wrong many times. but i know enough to know a flawed article when i see one

I agree that some writers on the site have posted some stupid transfer rumors. However this article provides many credible arguments and i personally agree with it.

To people who question the goal scoring abilities of the 2. Pele was a striker. Maradona had a free role in which he sat in the hole between midfield and defence. His job was not only to stick the ball in the net unlike pele, but aslo to control the rythm and tempo of a game and provide the killer through balls.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

The article points out that Maradonna somewhat carried his teams, which he did. Pele stood out in a generation of fine Brazilian players, he's the most memorable from both Santos and Brazil that boasted a collection of some of the greatest players of their age. I think that speaks volumes, to be the best of the best. It's sort of similar to how people debate Messi and Ronaldo, Messi is the greatest player of the greatest team right now. But then, Madrid have looked lost for a few games without their talisman. The things Maradonna could do with a ball is something that will take something special to even match, but what Pele achieved is a remarkable feat that will most likely never be equalled.

I completely agree. The are perhaps on par with each other and the debate on who is better is simply just a matter of opinion. I personally feel maradona was better due to simple fact of watching him destroy teams at mexico 86.

I agree that some writers on the site have posted some stupid transfer rumors. However this article provides many credible arguments and i personally agree with it.

To people who question the goal scoring abilities of the 2. Pele was a striker. Maradona had a free role in which he sat in the hole between midfield and defence. His job was not only to stick the ball in the net unlike pele, but aslo to control the rythm and tempo of a game and provide the killer through balls.

pele was a complete forward, one of the hardest forward roles to pull off, the creator scorer. Internationally he destroyed some of the best defenders out there. Both were greats, but individually what Pele acheived cant be beaten, so to argue that maradonna hugely surpasses him is incredibly difficult

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I completely agree. The are perhaps on par with each other and the debate on who is better is simply just a matter of opinion. I personally feel maradona was better due to simple fact of watching him destroy teams at mexico 86.

what maradonna did in 86, Pele did repeatedly at world cups. Maradonna was the greatest 10 out there, but arugably Pele was an even greater 9, maradonna was untouchable in his dribbiling, but to play so well for so long like Pele did, is a feat of his own

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back