Pele The Most Overrated Footballer of all time ?

• Thread starter Thread starter jamescfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 120
  • Views Views 17K

Is pele the most overrated player ever

• yes

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that some writers on the site have posted some stupid transfer rumors. However this article provides many credible arguments and i personally agree with it.

To people who question the goal scoring abilities of the 2. Pele was a striker. Maradona had a free role in which he sat in the hole between midfield and defence. His job was not only to stick the ball in the net unlike pele, but aslo to control the rythm and tempo of a game and provide the killer through balls.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I completely agree. The are perhaps on par with each other and the debate on who is better is simply just a matter of opinion. I personally feel maradona was better due to simple fact of watching him destroy teams at mexico 86.

I'd give the edge to Pele, to maintain the form he did over such an extended period is phenomenal. I guess it depends on what you value in a player, each have individual merits to claim to be the greatest ever, so on that basis neither can be argued to be overrated.

I rate many players better than Zidane, but then I am partial to a good defender.

On the topic of the ability of some former greats, here is how I would (and have) rate some of the best ever players (from the database that I'm creating, with the Pa's of the best players from each position):

GK 198 - Yashin, 196 - Schmeichel, 196 - Banks, 195 - Zamora, 195 - Zoff DL 195 - Brehme, 195 - Nilton Santos, 192 - Facchetti, 192 - Cabrini, 192 - Breitner DR 195 - Carlos Alberto, 194 - Djalma Santos, 193 - Cafu, 192 - Bergomi, 190 - Nasazzi DC 198 - Beckenbauer, 197 - Baresi, 197 - Scirea, 197 - Moore, 195 - Maldini ML 195 - Rivelino, 195 - Gento, 194 - Dzajic, 193 - Czibor, 192 - Rensenbrink MR 197 - Best, 197 - Garrincha, 197 - Matthews, 195 - Finney, 195 - Jairzinho DM 196 - Matthaus, 196 - BozseK, 196 - Edwards, 195 - Rijkaard, 192 - Blanchflower CM/AM 199 - Maradona, 196 - Platini, 195 - Zico, 195 - Laudrup, 195 - Zidane ST 200 - Pele, 199 - Cruyff, 199 - Puskas, 198 - Di Stefano, 197 - Eusebio

I'd give the edge to Pele, to maintain the form he did over such an extended period is phenomenal. I guess it depends on what you value in a player, each have individual merits to claim to be the greatest ever, so on that basis neither can be argued to be overrated.

i'd say he edges it, but agree its not definitive, so im wary of anyone who says one is vastly better than the other

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

I rate many players better than Zidane, but then I am partial to a good defender.

On the topic of the ability of some former greats, here is how I would (and have) rate some of the best ever players (from the database that I'm creating, with the Pa's of the best players from each position):

GK 198 - Yashin, 196 - Schmeichel, 196 - Banks, 195 - Zamora, 195 - Zoff DL 195 - Brehme, 195 - Nilton Santos, 192 - Facchetti, 192 - Cabrini, 192 - Breitner DR 195 - Carlos Alberto, 194 - Djalma Santos, 193 - Cafu, 192 - Bergomi, 190 - Nasazzi DC 198 - Beckenbauer, 197 - Baresi, 197 - Scirea, 197 - Moore, 195 - Maldini ML 195 - Rivelino, 195 - Gento, 194 - Dzajic, 193 - Czibor, 192 - Rensenbrink MR 197 - Best, 197 - Garrincha, 197 - Matthews, 195 - Finney, 195 - Jairzinho DM 196 - Matthaus, 196 - BozseK, 196 - Edwards, 195 - Rijkaard, 192 - Blanchflower CM/AM 199 - Maradona, 196 - Platini, 195 - Zico, 195 - Laudrup, 195 - Zidane ST 200 - Pele, 199 - Cruyff, 199 - Puskas, 198 - Di Stefano, 197 - Eusebio

Beckenbauer :wub: what a player

Oi!! Where's Baggio!! lol. Surprised he isn't in there

Not the most overrated but i have always said Maradonna is the best because he was tried and tested in both South America and Europe but Pele was only tested in South America. And you must admit the standard of football in South America is worse.

Pele is far more respectable too. From Maradonna's cheating and drug taking, and then his embarrassing (yet amusing) stint as Argentina manager. Pele has done much more for the game than he ever will, and I know these factors shouldn't affect their on field ability, but they do prey on people's mind, especially if you're English. ;)

No Zanetti either :'( he must come close surely?

He may be slightly overated , he's still one of the best ever:)

Not the most overrated but i have always said Maradonna is the best because he was tried and tested in both South America and Europe but Pele was only tested in South America. And you must admit the standard of football in South America is worse.

no it wasnt back that's the big point here, south american football then was pretty much on the level

I have rated him below the 5 forwards there, and Ronaldo, Muller, Kubala & van Basten. he's on 194

Ah I see. Still, seeing all those names makes me teary eyed with nostalgia. Happy days they were :)

He obviously hasn't watched Zlatan Ibrahimovic play. He IS the most overrated footballer of all time

Don't be silly, EA Sports may over-rate him; but he is a quality player.

Anyway, the OP is a tool.

Wouldn't call him a tool to be fair to him. Everyone has an opinion on this subject. It's a debate that will never die down

The point I am making though, is that in my database (and imo) Pele is only slightly (1 point) better than Maradona, Puskas and Cruyff, with Beckenbauer, Di Stefano and Yashin just (1 point) below them. People often don't reguard defenders or 'keepers amongst the greatest ever, but it could possibly be argued that Beckenbauer was the best all round player

How can the Brazilian league be of poor quality during that time if it produced 3 world cup winning teams during Pele's career?

Firstly I'm sorry for bringing this back up but i have been out all day and I've read all the pages, Just confused about some of your posts james. You do have an opinion so i'm not going to slate you on that. Infact I salute you for being brave enough to post it.

THIS IS MY EXACT ARGUMENT !! that is all people say. Did you see this footballing god ever play ? no. I have watched maradona zidane ronaldo play. They are on a different level. Maradona especially is undescribable. He single handedly won mexico 86 and also was the mastermind behind napoli double winning team of 86-87

in what way did he dishonestly win the world cup ? The drug scandle was in 1994. yes he did single handedly win the 86 world cup. Can you name any other player who played for that team no. Yet i could name almost everyplayer in the brazil 1970 team as thats what they were a great team filled with some of the best players ever from jairzinho to carlos alberto

I will make my argument clear. He scored is goals in the 50s 60s in brazil. The league may have been stronger than today but no where near the quality of europe. He also is hailed for what he has won but that is not individual achievments that is a team achievment. For those who say just listen to what others say. In the recent sky documentry "footballs greatest" at the start of the show 4-5 ex footballers and managers would say how the player featured was the best ever and on another level to others

the above posts are points which I don't understand, You talk about Maradonna winning it himself, and say Pele won it in a team so i'm just wondering so there was 11 opponents vs Maradonna only on the park ? who blocked all shots, saved, Assisted and scored all the goals ? to say he single handedly won it is foolish. He maybe carried the team and gave them the most integral part but in no way what so ever did he single handedly win it as it would be impossible. Just because you can;t name the players doesn't mean anything they were still part of that team should their medals be taken off them since Maradonna won it and no one else ? Football is a team game and is team achievements regardless of what one player does in certain matches it's still a team game. Once again sorry for bringing it back up.

Tbh mate your just as bad as the OP by saying he's a tool, because he has an opinion. Do you know everything about pele ? Also he admitted he was wrong after the points being made.

no it wasnt back that's the big point here, south american football then was pretty much on the level

It was pretty good yer but the only reason they didnt leave Brazil is because if you left then you wouldnt get picked for the national side. For me Maradonna proved it at more levels.

Firstly I'm sorry for bringing this back up but i have been out all day and I've read all the pages, Just confused about some of your posts james. You do have an opinion so i'm not going to slate you on that. Infact I salute you for being brave enough to post it. the above posts are points which I don't understand, You talk about Maradonna winning it himself, and say Pele won it in a team so i'm just wondering so there was 11 opponents vs Maradonna only on the park ? who blocked all shots, saved, Assisted and scored all the goals ? to say he single handedly won it is foolish. He maybe carried the team and gave them the most integral part but in no way what so ever did he single handedly win it as it would be impossible. Just because you can;t name the players doesn't mean anything they were still part of that team should their medals be taken off them since Maradonna won it and no one else ? Football is a team game and is team achievements regardless of what one player does in certain matches it's still a team game. Once again sorry for bringing it back up.

I agree my point may have been a step to far by saying maradona done it all by himself. what i was trying to say was that maradona came as close as possible to winning a world cup all by himself, without him that team was a quater final team mabye last 16 at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back