Player mistakes - This is out of hand

Raikan007

Reaction score
since I got back from holiday and had not played Fm13 in over a month, I decided to start my 2nd favourite save, Spurs..

Now developing new tactics (not using my old ones) I set out to create a few tactics that I can use depending on certain situations, opposition, competitions etc..

While watching the games on comprehensive while tweaking my tactics I noticed something really, really worrying.. The amount of mistakes my defenders (and players) were making..

You can say that settings/opposition etc are to blame, I can agree with that to a degree, however, most of the time my players would pass the ball straight back to the opposition and end up 1v1 with my keeper and the worst part, completely missing crosses that go past my RB/LB and two CB's (Kaboul/Hummels/Vertonghen) and end up conceding! Kaboul has 19 heading and does not even leave the ground to try and clear the danger, I have noticed this far too often and it is costing me results and patience!

You can see below the amount of games my players have played and the amount of mistakes they have made (I am not worried about the % leading up to goals, that is not the point, its the amount of mistakes they have made, period) it averages close to two mistakes per game and at the level of football I am playing and the level of my players, and in real life, this should not be happening so often..

And trust me, I know what I am doing when it comes to player settings/instructions etc..

Mats Hummels:

View attachment 304146View attachment 304149

Jan Vertonghen:

View attachment 304147View attachment 304148

Moussa Dembele:

View attachment 304144View attachment 304145

Agree with you 100% Raikan. This is an extremely infuriating bug...I hope. Defenders heading the balls out for a corner when under no pressure, keepers that can't hold on to a ball which my 3 year old could have caught, the number of long shots players take when under strict instruction not to, and as you say, crosses which elude the entire back 4 for an opposition player to tap in...all of this happening game after game, not once in a while which is understandable.

I mean, look at those stats, its scary.. you don't see that in real life, Jonny Evans has not made that many mistakes over his whole career at United and he has made a few..

My defenders do not jump when the balls are crossed in, I have them at CD - Defend..

Honestly can't tell if it is a bug or not-mainly as I haven't come across it as I have a much worse squad (level 8 tier)

Wow, only looked at those stats now. Over 100 mistakes between 3 players and you're only in Jan?! I don't think the whole Villa squad has made that many mistakes this season irl...and thats saying a lot!

Honestly can't tell if it is a bug or not-mainly as I haven't come across it as I have a much worse squad (level 8 tier)

check their stats, I would assume it may be worse as you are playing so low down.. if not, post your CB/FB's settings to compare..

FFS! as soon as I posted that, I went into my match and witnessed this... hows that for perfect timing! Jesus! my point exactly..

uploading video now, will post when ready!

check their stats, I would assume it may be worse as you are playing so low down.. if not, post your CB/FB's settings to compare..

It is yeah. The key attributes for my CB's are pretty much in the lower black areas, and the heading is woeful. I don't even bother with man marking as the concentration, positioning etc is so poor. I mean yes I did get promoted, but that was due to sticking to 1 formation. I didn't even bother giving pregame instructions for the defenders as it simply wasn't worth it. The mistakes were pretty much all over the pitch which in fairness is to be expected. It was rare that a cross completion of over 10%, and decision making, passing etc was pretty much shocking-and that wasn't down to the pitch. I don't normally pay attention to the important things until I reach somewhere like the Blue Square/Npower League 2. If anything stands out I'll put up some screenies. Will have a look when I get a chance

also just conceded another goal, cross from left hand side, 4 defenders against Naismith (Hummels/Kaboul/Smalling) who are all good in the air.. stood and watched the ball fly straight through them and meet Naismiths head..

****! (not going to upload that, its quite normal at the moment)

January 2015... So far this season

Shawcross has played 29 games, made 52 mistakes (none leading to goals)
Danny Wilson has played 24 games, made 46 mistakes (none leading to goals)
Joe Allen - 19 starts, 11 sub appearances, 57 mistakes (none leading to goals)

Overall team - 640 mistakes leading to 3 goals. I'm playing a short passing game at a high tempo so I expect a lot of mistakes, but these numbers surprised me. I'm quite pleased about the recovery from the mistakes however, could be an indication on where the mistakes are happening combined with the recovery of the defenders and a solid GK.

In the games I do see a lot of these and seem to spend far too often with my head in my hands. I'll look out for specific examples.

In my current season, I have played 47 competive matches WITH A TOP TEAM and here are my stats

Matches
: 47
Conceded goals: 32
Misstakes: 760 - 16.7/match
Mistakes leading to a goal: 11 - -0,23/ match
% of goals conceded that are due to a misstake: 34 %

Looking at these stats, they seem fine to me

that is quite a few errors as well mate.. I will add up my players mistakes in the next few..

In my current season, I have played 47 competive matches WITH A TOP TEAM and here are my stats

Matches
: 47
Conceded goals: 32
Misstakes: 760 - 16.7/match
Mistakes leading to a goal: 11 - -0,23/ match
% of goals conceded that are due to a misstake: 34 %

Looking at these stats, they seem fine to me

16.7 errors per game with a top team and that's fine? I doubt the likes of Utd and City etc. make 16.7 errors per game?

So what actually counts as an error? Many of the RL stats are open to interpretation anyway - We've already seen confusion about what is counted as a tackle or interception, for instance.

16.7 errors per game with a top team and that's fine? I doubt the likes of Utd and City etc. make 16.7 errors per game?

Naturally. Dont you think that each player makes about 1.5 misstakes every game ?

It can be of the following reasons.

Poor back pass - not being aware of where the opposition is, not concentrated enough
Poorly anticipating a move, running into an offside that easily could have been avoided
Sliding in a tackle incorrectly, getting ghost passed.
Coming out to a cross totally wrong
Scoring an owngoal
A defender not being aware of his teammates, making my offside trap fail.
Missing an easy pass going straight into the opponents feet.
Causing a penalty.
etc etc

Last edited:
Naturally. Dont you think that each player makes about 1.5 misstakes every game ?

if you average it out, yes they probably do..

check your strikers/wingers mistakes and compare to that of the defenders..

As fm20 states above, what is classified as an error? Is a missed tackle classified as an error? A poor pass? Missed header? Those things are already counted towards other stats, so I wouldn't think so.

As fm20 states above, what is classified as an error? Is a missed tackle classified as an error? A poor pass? Missed header? Those things are already counted towards other stats, so I wouldn't think so.

It can be of the following reasons.

Poor back pass - not being aware of where the opposition is, not concentrated enough
Poorly anticipating a move, running into an offside that easily could have been avoided
Sliding in a tackle incorrectly, getting ghost passed.
Coming out to a cross totally wrong ( goalkeeper)
Scoring an owngoal
A defender not being aware of his teammates, making my offside trap fail.
Missing an easy pass going straight into the opponents feet.
Causing a penalty.
etc etc