Porthleven - The Cornish Youth Fountain

• Thread starter Thread starter Obscurity
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 99
  • Views Views 10K

Obscurity

Reaction score
Porthlevenlogo.jpg

Porthleven were established in 1896 and were founding members of the Cornwall Combination in 1959, winning the inaugural league title. After winning the Cornwall Combination three more times they moved up to the South Western League for the 1967–68 season. This proved to be a harder competition and, despite finishing in fifth place in their first season, the club were usually found in mid-table. After a poor 1976–77 season the club dropped back down, replacing their reserve side in the Cornwall Combination.

Another twelve-year spell in the Combination followed until, with two league titles and four other top three places behind them, Porthleven moved up again to the South Western League for the 1989–90 season. After seven years of fluctuating fortunes, the club began to enjoy more success from the 1996–97 season onwards. For eight straight years, mostly under the managership of Alan Carey, they finished in the top three. However, the ultimate prize – the league title – eluded them.

Following Carey's departure at the end of the 2003–04 season the club were forced to rebuild their squad, and consequently finished bottom of the South Western League in 2004–05, with the reserves suffering the same fate in the Cornwall Combination. Having successfully avoided re-election, Porthleven improved on this performance in subsequent seasons, and in 2006–07 finished 9th, high enough to obtain a place in the Premier Division of the newly formed South West Peninsula League. However, Porthleven withdrew their application for a place in the Premier Division for financial reasons, and from 2007 to 2008 they will compete in the South West Peninsula League Division One West.

Porthleven have entered the FA Cup on five occasions, but have only won one tie so far and have never made it through the Preliminary Rounds to the Qualifying Rounds. In the FA Vase success has been more forthcoming, with the club reaching the quarter-finals in 1997–98, becoming only the second Cornish club to reach that stage.

They then went on to reach the third round or better in each of the next five seasons.
In June 2012 before the 2012–13 season, the club faced some bad news when the FA refused to allow them to enter any national FA competitions because they do not have toilet facilities in the home and away dressing room, and the referee's room.

The Chairman for the 2010-2011 onward season is Mr Jan Cowls not Darren Shaw as showing above.

13209x300.jpg

o202jPj.png

JIwbsns.png

You know the drill, I can sign staff but I can't sign players, I won't have any scouts at the club as last time we lost £300k per season scouting costs which ended my last attempt.
I can sign greyed-out players that are in my reserve and under 18 team since they are already at the club.

Why Porthleven?

Porthleven are from the south of Cornwall, Cornwall isn't known for footballing talent as they have never had a Football League club and the best Cornish club is Truro City so the aim is to become the best Cornish team so we can attract the best local talent in the long run which is why I decided not to go anywhere like the Manchester League Premier Division or the Liverpool County Premier League Premier Division.

Porthleven Location:

rbXqRMD.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds interesting i live in Penzance not far from there or Hayle and Mousehole who are in your league, what database is this i would like to have a look at it

A great introduction!

9VOdC90.png

aBWa4Ej.png

mLz75RA.png

So in 2 days of managing Porthleven I've achieved something that I couldn't manage at London Colney, a junior coaching upgrade!

Squad and Best Players

ut5UgCr.png

SA4rVz8.png

Z3G08ze.png

Yy3NGSE.png

You may notice that everyone is aged 16-17, that is because everyone over that age had a 1/2* rating so I released them, the whole youth & reserve squad have 5* PA as well so this could be interesting..

Owen Reynolds started out as a grey player and he's already one of the best just from offering him a contract.

Hi there,

Glad to see you doing Porthleven! From you that part of Cornwall? I live in Helston, who are the team Helston Athletics.

Also, I think i'm going to start a save for Helston. How do you get the datebase to work so I can access these teams?

Many thanks,

Stephen.

Hi there,

Glad to see you doing Porthleven! From you that part of Cornwall? I live in Helston, who are the team Helston Athletics.

Also, I think i'm going to start a save for Helston. How do you get the datebase to work so I can access these teams?

Many thanks,

Stephen.

Good luck with your local team! I don't actually live in Cornwall, I'd say my local team would be Gloucester City, also the database is in post #3 if you want it.

2012/13 Pre-Season

eGL0AxS.png

VTZCtwA.png

o4FmOyO.png

A good Pre-Season as we managed to beat the teams around us and get around £12K for facing the bigger League 1 teams near the end, we only have 5 season ticket holders but with a stadium capacity of 50 means that I'll always have at least a 10th of the stadium filled at all times!

That's pretty cool man, I live up in Heamoor. :)

Great story, i'll definitely be following. Lets hope this one doesn't bug out!

August 2012

LcNWpiM.png

nfel9GH.png

Only 2 games in August, a narrow loss against Perranporth before an utter annihilation of Vospers Oak Villa, hopefully we'll see more results like that in the future!

September 2012

PM7tUcI.png

PqrINwU.png

We managed to carry over our form into September as we now sit in the promotion zone and we also beat Elburton Villa from the division above in the Cup so we may have a little cup run going. The only downside to this is the long processing time from the sheer amount of cups and leagues running!

Another good story, will be following! Your stadium is massive ;) be sure to follow my Market Drayton challenge also.

Really good form and what league tier are you in. Well done on the junior coaching as well.

Another good story, will be following! Your stadium is massive ;) be sure to follow my Market Drayton challenge also.

Thanks Dan, it is surely one of the biggest I've ever seen! ;) I've folowed your story and will continue to do so :P

Really good form and what league tier are you in. Well done on the junior coaching as well.

We're currently in tier 11, the lowest I can find with good detail in it.

October 2012

nxpQZlv.png

NBTU7Or.png

N6kgXm9.png

Wkio0IO.png

October was a bit of a dull month in all honesty with us drawing most of our games and a loss in the cup, I'm not too bothered though as if I won the round I would have gotten £25 prize money!

Good luck with your local team! I don't actually live in Cornwall, I'd say my local team would be Gloucester City, also the database is in post #3 if you want it.

Hi mate,

The datebase is not working. How do you download it and get it to work? I can't seem to find out how anywhere.

November 2012

yILDVU1.png

K1QBorb.png

Another good month sees us 5 points clear now with a solid defence...I have noticed another bug though which I think is the reason that the game is going so slow, I started of with a small database of 17,000 players, now it says that I have 59,000 players loaded, 56,800 of those have an English nationality and with all these divisions in each tier it really isn't helping!

December 2012

ssA7j2c.png

HMUMV5m.png

I'm liking this, yes the game play is woefully slow for what I'm used too but we're 8 points clear with 11 games remaining and are very strong and set to stay this way!

Back